Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

anilEhilated posted:

the fact it is a pain in the rear end to actually play makes the game perfect LP material. This way, everyone gets the experience but only you get the suffering.

Leaving the rest of the conversation alone as it's already crossed into spoiler territory and I'm not going to push it further that way, but this was amusing. Thing is, I don't actually consider it suffering, I'm enough in the rogue sort of mindset that I enjoy the challenge up to a point.

Also, I forgot to mention in the thread here that we have another Infantry Squad available now as of the last episode: the Green Berets are available to be claimed if anyone wants them. Berets, not Berrets as the game likes to put them, at least for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I always liked that touch about Dawnie bishops stopping their own hearts rather than letting a heretic touch them. It establishes the Order are ascetic, secretive, and not loving around.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It's first now I realize that the main character in World in Conflict and Sarah share the same last name.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Cooked Auto posted:

It's first now I realize that the main character in World in Conflict and Sarah share the same last name.

Parker: "That mission sucked, I need another drin-"

?: "Parker, take that position before Ivan can flank us!"

Parker: "Wha?"

?: "I DIDN'T ASK FOR YOUR OPINION PARKER, JUST DO IT! AND BANNON, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WITH THOSE MORTARS?!? MOVE THEM INTO THE drat APC!"

Bannon: "But sir, it was Parker who-"

?: "SHUT THE HELL UP AND DO IT, BANNON!"

Parker: "Wow. Time to lay of the sauce for a bit."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Loxbourne posted:

I always liked that touch about Dawnie bishops stopping their own hearts rather than letting a heretic touch them. It establishes the Order are ascetic, secretive, and not loving around.

Eh, I took that to be a soldier bullshitting around rather than literal truth.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Cythereal posted:

On the mythological reference of Garm, perhaps more important to naming something Project Garm is that Garm is said to be the signal that Ragnarok has begun: he will be released from his duty guarding the gates of Helheim and his howl will be heard throughout creation. Ultimately, his fate is to die together with Tyr, the god of justice and honor.

If you want to name something spooky and ominous as gently caress after Norse mythology, Garm is an excellent choice.
Yeah, if something is named after Garm it´s going to be a bad thing 100% of those times..

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Infantry squads remain great throughout the game because of how hard they can hit with their secondary tools, even if they're somewhat fragile.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Cooked Auto posted:

And of course the Red Faction 1 protagonist.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nuramor posted:

And of course the Red Faction 1 protagonist.

True but that's not done by the same developer so the connection is tenuous.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

don't forget Spider-Man

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I'd say the name Parker is not that particularly rare, but I still found thetruegentleman's dialogue amusing.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I want to claim the Green Berets. The Dead Meats are named after how they view the enemy, not after what happens to their members. At least thats what the PR teams claim.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do enjoy when the corporate speak just gets thrown in, "seeking employment" indeed. I don't recall them overdoing it so its always a nice little bit of flavour.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

DeadMeat5150 posted:

The Dead Meats are named after how they view the enemy, not after what happens to their members. At least thats what the PR teams claim.

Major Parker hopes your questionable life choices will bring you satisfaction and honor, and the Crayven Corporation reminds you that, as the manual states::

quote:

all information regarding this operation is to be viewed as strictly confidential. Breach of confidentiality will lead to summary execution according to directive #9, paragraph 65.

Of course they also "allow you to be all that you can be.", whatever the heck that means.

You've been added to the roster in the OP, though it will be a couple missions before the new name actually shows up in video form. I'm a couple episodes ahead as is my tradition - but won't be playing any further ahead than that, it's just a failsafe in case something should happen healthwise or whatnot.

@Kibayasu - Agree totally. It's just something they throw in every once in a while, and it's a fairly low-key reminder of exactly why you're here risking your life and that of your even-more-expendable soldiers; because the top dogs at Craven think it's profitable. That's it, and that's all.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Strategic Sage posted:

Of course they also "allow you to be all that you can be.", whatever the heck that means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms9pxvEbILs

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

:siren:
At The Source (24:44)

The third mission is one that is better in theory than it is in practice, thanks to some sketchy level design. I'm also not a fan of how cliched our latest 'colleague' is. Major Parker's mental state isn't done any favors by this operation.

Up Next

For the first time in the campaign, the Order seizes the initiative, and tests our ability to defend.

Available Squads

The Headhunters, our first Terradyne squad, are on the lookout for a new subcommander.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 4, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Strategic Sage posted:

At The Source (24:44)

The third mission is one that is better in theory than it is in practice, thanks to some sketchy level design. I'm also not a fan of how cliched our latest 'colleague' is. Major Parker's mental state isn't done any favors by this operation.

Up Next

For the first time in the campaign, the Order seizes the initiative, and tests our ability to defend.

Saved this comment till you got to the mission - the colleague is cliched but the game should get mad props for putting you in the place of the female protagonist who is really good at her job but gets outshone by a mediocre man.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We need to mark this warcrime and remember to get back at Thomas in the future.

Call the Terradynes the Military Police

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

David Bouey? :raise:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Dwight is a bit (a lot) of a stereotype, but he does the job pretty well in terms of serving a story purpose.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

David Bouey? :raise:

It's spelled "buoy" god

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Some useful takeaways from this mission:

1. The new Crayven vehicle we're introduced to is excellent; a multirole infantry support unit and light tank. It greatly outmatches its Order counterpart in a stand-up fight as can be seen by the way we shredded multiple squads of them. A squad of them had a place on my dropshops on offensive missions right up until the finale.

2. Both sides' basic infantry are quite effective against the side and rear armour of vehicles. Crayven infantry are quite nasty in this kind of flanking attack because Order units are fast and lightly-armoured. Their defence is speed and Not Being There to get hit.

3. Attacking bases in this game is very much about dismantling defensive networks.

And yes Major Thomas is a hyper-generic rear end in a top hat but I did like the way they made the obligatory warcrime a vaguely plausible "hot blooded" one.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, someone's unhappy. Turns out Krig is Vietnam, after all.

Also, when she said something like "Move your APC closer!", she might have been talking to the driver, not the player.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Slaan posted:

Call the Terradynes the Military Police

Added. That's all the openings for now, but there'll be more. There'll be a LOT more.

Cooked Auto posted:

David Bouey?

Potato, potahto. Also, pronunciation is hard. That's all I got.

Alchenar posted:

the colleague is cliched but the game should get mad props for putting you in the place of the female protagonist who is really good at her job but gets outshone by a mediocre man.

I'm not as impressed with that in this particular case due to the setting. The game clearly implies a different reason; namely that Thomas is a suck-up who lacks compunction, qualities that Crayven values and Parker doesn't share. Like many futuristic games, Ground Control is (in the manual) explicit that gender equality is a thing and I don't know of anything that indicates otherwhise. So I see it as a simple case of man, woman, who cares, but the protagonist is a loose cannon and a troublemaker in the eyes of the company and that's the real issue here. I definitely do give the game credit though for a well-thought-out setting that it consistently adheres to.

Also, thanks for your courtesy vis a vis the spoiler rules.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Strategic Sage posted:

I'm not as impressed with that in this particular case due to the setting. The game clearly implies a different reason; namely that Thomas is a suck-up who lacks compunction, qualities that Crayven values and Parker doesn't share.

I mean, that's how sexism works in the real world today.

OTC
Oct 20, 2012
Ah, Ground Control! One of my old favourites. I'm curious how the game handles nowdays in the later missions, I recall the game got a fair number of negative reviews because the mouse is custom coded or somesuch and responsivenes is linked to the framerate; on the hardware of the day when the unit count went up and the framerate went down it ranged from tedious to outright uncontrollable. Any such issues on modern systems?

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I don't remember any such problems when I first played it many moons ago, and I'm not far enough in yet to say anything intelligent this time around. That it was even an issue ever is totally news to me. The only thing I've seen issues with on the GOG version is the briefing audio skipping for some people - I see that occasionally but restarting the briefing almost always fixes it.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Iron Shield (17:21)

A more clever name shows up in this briefing, and we get our first glimpse of artillery in a tricky defensive scenario.

Up Next

A new side of our boss emerges.

Available Squads

A new terradyne squad, the Humble Destroyers, has been made available. They haven't yet earned their first promotion, but that should come soon.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I used the APC's way more than you did when I played. That gun is about as strong as a couple light terradynes together and is placed high enough that it can shoot over the infantry without risk of friendly fire until the enemy gets very close. And the recharge on the APC lets you shore up the hardest hit parts quickly without wasting repair/med packs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Ah, yes, the introduction of artillery. When we get our own artillery, I suppose it's not really much of a spoiler that it will eventually happen, that's honestly more or less where I felt the game started taking a downwards slide.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Please name that new terradyne squad the Humble Himbos

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

boisterous posted:

Please name that new terradyne squad the Humble Himbos

So it shall be written.

@PurpleXVI - They tend to be divisive. Some love em, some hate 'em. We'll get more into that later.

Slaan posted:

I used the APC's way more than you did when I played.

I'll meet you halfway on this. I think it's fair to say I've been using it consistently to repair my units, but that also makes it less effective at being a weapon from a firepower standpoint. I honestly didn't know it could shoot over infantry but even so, if the APC is moving up and down the battle line it'll be moving behind terradynes as well, and that means friendly fire in the back of your valued vehicles or more multi-tasking than I have the APM skills to achieve. I also think that we're already past the point where it's going to make a huge difference in the fighting just in terms of the growing number of squads we have under our command … so I think ferrying infantry around and repairing at key points is pretty much where I'm at in terms of the utility.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

Aquisition (13:35)

The title here is a typo. The game's not mine - ironically they spell it correctly within the briefing but not on the mission itself. Another quick, but potentially tricky one here, and we get access to the mainstay of the Crayven military.

Available Squads

None - we didn't get any new ones for this mission.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 11, 2020

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Is elevation always an advantage or does the game understand that a reverse slope defense can be very effective and that skylining yourself is a big help to enemy aim? From my experience playing ground control 2 I'd say it doesn't, but a lot of elements apparently changed between the games. (Such as tanks getting machine guns, and tanks being unable to use the main gun and machine guns at the same time.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, I had remembered the early missions as being much longer.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

The next one is much longer, if that makes you feel any better.

SIGSEGV posted:

Is elevation always an advantage

Yes it is, I'm 90%+ sure of that. I can't speak to Ground Control 2 which I've never played, but for this game it's just a flat higher ground FTW mechanic. Darkness is generally better I think than elevation though fwiw.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm a bit sad about that, always feels like an overlooked component in games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if its possible to just not engage those first patrols and just wait until the convoy comes along. I guess you'd need to hide behind hills and hope your timing was right.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Nice touch to see our heroine look up the same Ominous Names as we did.

I'd planned to talk about the new units seen in this video but I'm honestly confused as to how the spoiler policy is being enforced at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

I'm not enforcing it unless it clearly crosses the line. We've gotten close and maybe edged over it, but not much has been a clear violation. Any units themselves that we saw in the videos are fair game - nothing like that is ever a spoiler because … well, it's out there. It's been shown so it's not a spoiler - I don't want people to not be able to talk about the game at all. It's only stuff that hasn't been shown that I care about. So i.e. if you have talk about other not-yet-seen units etc. for purposes of comparison to make a point … don't. Otherwhise I don't see it being a problem.

Kibayasu posted:

I wonder if its possible to just not engage those first patrols and just wait until the convoy comes along.

It's not. I've even gone up on that whole central plateau thing and tried to do it that way. There are always hoverdynes in front of the convoy, and it'll reverse course once you fight them. That's one part that's actually scripted well - the convoy will always either veer north, or escape south if you give it too long.

Strategic Sage fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 12, 2020