Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also the music. Oh god the music is perfect.

Ground Control sits alongside Mechwarrior 3 and Freespace 2 and having a story written and delivered in a way that perfectly makes the player part of a sci-fi war that feels like a scenario with real and plausible people in it.

e: and all of this stuff about units having armour arcs and being better on high ground and some units being stealthy and being able to spot for others - this was all totally novel as far as I can recall for an RTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Not really, a lot of the stuff you mention (terrain, spotting, elevation...) was featured in stuff like Total Annihilation (and stealth has been part of RTS since the original Command & Conquer). This might have been the first fully 3D RTS to do it, though.

All the individual stuff had been done here and there, but this was the first one to do it in 3d and throw it all together. And also in a tactics non-base building game.

Myth is the game that really took a first stab, but wasn't fully 3d.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cythereal posted:

It is so weird and refreshing to have a female protagonist for a game like this, particularly with a backstory that doesn't focus on her being a woman.

Not just that, but her boss is also a woman.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Past mission.... 4 I'd say that they get a bit too long for them not to have checkpoint saves.

It's also a bit of a flaw that the game lets you pick your force composition, but this can really screw you over in some missions when something suddenly happens and you cant react.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Strategic Sage posted:

:siren:
At The Source (24:44)
:siren:

The third mission is one that is better in theory than it is in practice, thanks to some sketchy level design. I'm also not a fan of how cliched our latest 'colleague' is. Major Parker's mental state isn't done any favors by this operation.

Up Next

For the first time in the campaign, the Order seizes the initiative, and tests our ability to defend.

Saved this comment till you got to the mission - the colleague is cliched but the game should get mad props for putting you in the place of the female protagonist who is really good at her job but gets outshone by a mediocre man.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Strategic Sage posted:

I'm not as impressed with that in this particular case due to the setting. The game clearly implies a different reason; namely that Thomas is a suck-up who lacks compunction, qualities that Crayven values and Parker doesn't share.

I mean, that's how sexism works in the real world today.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Looking back on the game now they got away with murder a bit on those flat featureless maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Once you get heavy tanks, artillery, and AA guns (gun or rocket variety) at the same time I feel there's very little reason to take anything else for terradynes if you're given the option. The medium tanks do have their deployable repair station so it can be worth it to bring a single squad of them if your APC needs repairs but other than that just one big line of big guns.

It's the fact that medium tanks do very slightly more damage than heavy tanks which means there are edge cases where you might want them.