Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every time I replay this game I eventually get to one of the late missions, die once, and lose all interest because you can't loving save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do enjoy when the corporate speak just gets thrown in, "seeking employment" indeed. I don't recall them overdoing it so its always a nice little bit of flavour.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

David Bouey? :raise:

It's spelled "buoy" god

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if its possible to just not engage those first patrols and just wait until the convoy comes along. I guess you'd need to hide behind hills and hope your timing was right.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Strategic Sage posted:

I'm not enforcing it unless it clearly crosses the line. We've gotten close and maybe edged over it, but not much has been a clear violation. Any units themselves that we saw in the videos are fair game - nothing like that is ever a spoiler because … well, it's out there. It's been shown so it's not a spoiler - I don't want people to not be able to talk about the game at all. It's only stuff that hasn't been shown that I care about. So i.e. if you have talk about other not-yet-seen units etc. for purposes of comparison to make a point … don't. Otherwhise I don't see it being a problem.

It's not. I've even gone up on that whole central plateau thing and tried to do it that way. There are always hoverdynes in front of the convoy, and it'll reverse course once you fight them. That's one part that's actually scripted well - the convoy will always either veer north, or escape south if you give it too long.

I suppose it would be a bit of gaming the system but what I mean is if you know how long it takes the convoy to get to a point on the map and if there is a point you can hide in which the AI won't ever see into at all could you pop over a hill or around a corner at the exact right time and get the convoy quick enough before it turns around. Way too much work instead of just going to the next point of course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

The hangar guards being worried about spy satellites and not caring about the window or at least a guard on each side of the super secret storage of alien fuckery, screams corporate best practices followed by someone rating checking boxes to rise in rank over doing a job they aren't really paid enough to do.

It is a delightfully low tech entrance.

SIGSEGV posted:

Also, if the war was a million years ago, erosion would have done a number on the remains, maybe not quite erased craters yet, but done quite a number. Not on the old bone tower though, it is still turgidly skyward, its noble erection clawing at the clouds as intended.

This isn't the Shadows of the Damned LP!

mmtt posted:

I remember playing this game long ago and struggling to make use of regular infantry beyond the first missions. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Infantry being useful entirely depends on the terrain. Big open maps just means nowhere for them to go.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jaeger's don't get a great intro because except for the trees and the area around the crater this is basically just another flat open map where they'll get attacked from everywhere but later on there's a ton of use for them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Always thought this was a weird mission because I feel like I totally could have taken on whatever enemies come along when you're told to retreat, especially with Thomas' AA guns hanging around to kill bombers. Anyways outside of facing aerodynes with nothing capable of shooting back torpedo infantry are one of the most dangerous enemies in the game, bar one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the artillery in this game is what turned me into a turtling RTS player. It is just so ridiculously effective to just wait around (most times) to just wait around while the HOGs do their thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Once you get heavy tanks, artillery, and AA guns (gun or rocket variety) at the same time I feel there's very little reason to take anything else for terradynes if you're given the option. The medium tanks do have their deployable repair station so it can be worth it to bring a single squad of them if your APC needs repairs but other than that just one big line of big guns.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Torpedo infantry are dangerous but I think you might be just a bit too careful :v:

It felt like air units were maybe a late addition to the game - they're either blowing something up with impunity or getting shot out the sky immediately. The ground combat isn't exactly deep but there's terrain effects, mobility, line of sight, and armor facing to account for.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now a single drone carrier, that is worth retreating from every time you see those little fuckers scurrying toward your tanks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ominous red glowing following the ousting of the self-appointed defenders of the monuments?

Eh, its probably fine.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

How about Shinning Daggers for the hoverdyne squad :v:

So I have never finished the order campaign. This is where I'd get to one of the later missions, lose, and then go "ehhhh..." to replaying because it already took an hour to get that far into the mission.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You have to destroy everything because then you get to see the pretty explosions.

Strategic Sage posted:

Fair enough, that's a useful distinction.

I feel like an idiot editing it back to the original misspelled name ... but sure.

I expect a lot of replaying of the Order missions on my part, more than I did with Crayven which was enough. We'll see why as we get into it, but I can totally understand the sentiment here and why someone wouldn't go through to the end. Do you remember what the last mission was that you got to, just out of curiosity?

Not specifically, its been a while since the last time. It would have had to have been one of the later missions since I remember having heavy hovers and artillery.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Only 13 minutes for a mission, where's the rest of it :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't be certain (and it probably wouldn't work very well on hard) but I seem to remember doing this mission without fighting the attackers at all, besides shooting at them as I drove by. For levels that take necessarily take place after an entire campaign its sort of weird how insubstantial they are.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What a nothing of a mission, no offense to the player :v: Unless you walk into that heavy tank or somehow miss the artillery shells there's nothing much to threaten anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's a good day when you finally get access to torpedo infantry.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess those giant APCs are a 1 man vehicle.

I want to say the "intended" strategy would be to hit the power plant with units dropped at the second landing zone then charge in the front while the turrets are down. Artillery breaks that completely of course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They each know more than the obvious of course but its kind of funny that the tipping point for both of them was "Wait, I don't have to risk my life and kill people any more? You've gone too far this time!"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Never understood quite how much veterancy mattered in the game but sustaining losses at this point in the campaign is at least thematic.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think one thing that always hampered my attempts to beat the game is my non-use of the special abilities. On easier difficulties its very easy to forget you have them even when you actually need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ground Control always ends as it beings, with artillery destroying everything in sight.

Kangra posted:

It's weird that I really don't recall this side of the campaign, although I recognize enough of it (especially that last battle) that I must have played it. I think the game does kind of feel tired at times, and it's more in the battle/scenario design than in the unit tactics. It really would have been better served by having limited reinforcements (I'm thinking, like the Blitzkrieg games) instead of essentially forcing you to never take losses through multiple tough engagements.

Do you know if Ground Control 2 did anything new with the formula, or is essentially more of the same?

And every time I hear about Imperium Galactica, I momentarily get excited until I realize I've confused it with Imperium Galactum.

Ground Control 2 was the first step toward World in Conflict for Massive, with a short stop on Company of Heroes (though coming out well ahead of CoH). Command APC's are not a thing any more. Their is a single resource in the game called Acquisition Points, AP, which you gain by destroying enemy units and holding landing zones/victory points over time, victory points being just small locations spread across the map. You capture LZs and VPs by having your units hang around them for a bit with no enemies nearby. The rate at which you gain AP is governed by how many units you have on the map, more units meaning lower AP gains. If you lose all your landing zones you're pretty screwed unless it was just a lucky snag by a small unit.

You can call down any variety of units, limited by their AP cost, your AP, and the space on your drop ship. For example, 1 infantry unit takes up 1 space on the drop ship but 1 artillery vehicle takes up 3. There's a delay between calling in units, the drop ship arriving, the drop ship leaving, and becoming available again. The drop ship can told to hang around on the map for a while, which is actually useful because its fast, very tough, and has a big gun. But if it goes down then you have to wait quite a while for a replacement (its free to replace but you're probably dead if you lose it while under pressure). The drop ship can also be upgraded with AP to give it more cargo space, more armor, more speed, more fuel (to stay on the map longer), etc, etc.

All units have a special secondary function. Examples: regular infantry switching between a regular gun and an AT rocket but the AT rocket can't hit other infantry and you can't move while using it, rocket vehicle switching between long range homing rockets and a shield that protects against rockets and artillery at the cost of offense and movement, scout vehicle that switches between a long range cannon and a cloak which hides the vehicle until something is really close but disables offense.

Artillery is way less of a win button, it basically does chip damage at most to heavier vehicles unless they just stay in the target zone for a while.

Ground Control 2 has way more mechanics, a much faster pace, and I think is a better game but it also gives up some of the scale. Maps are smaller which can be annoying if a lot of units are around, collision and pathfinding around other units not being strong points. It's definitely more balanced around multiplayer with a strong push and pull feel.