Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's their margin?
32%
30%
25%
2.5%
1.5%
View Results

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
If you, like me, are headed for career suicide anyway, go on and dish your company's margin (margin is %$*([direct labor] + (fringe [+G&A**])))

**if applicable

Add new and extra options in the thread if you want! I'll add them to the poll***.

***subject to mod approval

edit: Hey people, some people have told me that they don't seem to understand what a 'margin' is, well it's the "polite" term for profit, and for commercial companies it ranges from 1/4th to 1/3rd percent (25%-33%), meaning between one quarter to one third of every "sale" is direct to people you don't care about and make money with or without you. it's also extremely protected information for most companies. cheers, I know you'll all do the right thing.

please continue to post margins, we are all good here. fine, how are you? Post your FEIN , sit down, chill out.
canadians also welcome

Here is how to find your CEIN if you're a Canadian! [/url]
code:
actually I don't care, this link sucks and gently caress canada
here's a better one actually]

Wanna find out how much your bosses make? Post. Them. Margins.

post CEIN/CRA numbers and FEINs too!!!

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

My man

My company charges a one-quarter percentage on communications services to rural and urban hospitals, occasionally higher (up to 1/3rd / 33%)

I do not have input into these margins.

Name and shame em folks.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Per 2018 filings, our group profit margin was 48%. They do not break out my particular sub-company in the data (at least not in an easily-read way), but the pharma branch clocked in at 57%. I work for a subsidiary of a Swiss company that rhymes with gauche.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 26, 2020

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I literally had my company's 10-K open today just out of curiosity. It says our operating margin was 15% for 2019.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

Per 2018 SEC filings, our group profit margin was 48%. They do not break out my particular sub-company in the data (at least not in an easily-read way), but the pharma branch clocked in at 57%.

if you can give the direct gross billings we can work backwards to approximate the margin%.

Hoodwinker posted:

I literally had my company's 10-K open today just out of curiosity. It says our operating margin was 15% for 2019.

That's bad enough if it means 'all stakeholders received a minimum 15% net on their total investment, whatever that is')--but if it refers to a retirement fund (10k?) hosed up to call it "operating margin" when it's a return on reinvestment

edit: 10-K is a public filing, my b, stakeholders made a 15% net profit

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 26, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

if you can give the direct gross billings we can work backwards to approximate the margin%.

Found 2019's docs while going back to find the 2018 doc again. :v:

Sales actually is Sales + 2Kish of "Other Income" in the second screenie.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

Found 2019's docs while going back to find the 2018 doc again. :v:

Sales actually is Sales + 2Kish of "Other Income" in the second screenie.

:frogc00l:

Sundae I knew you were the poo poo, but thank you for this.

Apparently, with a margin of approximately 42.06% poor pharma can't innovate. :911: :madmax:

e2: actually going back to the math, it looks like your AP people are underbilling unless someone conjured around $2.3 million in profit out of nowhere.

who's skimming?

e3: literally just doublechecked 3 times there's almost 3 million missing in the accounting here. in general, you should be able to proceed from (A) to (B) to (C) in accounting, please anonymously distribute rifles to your sportsman friends at work.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 26, 2020

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

:frogc00l:

Sundae I knew you were the poo poo, but thank you for this.

Apparently, with a margin of approximately 42.06% poor pharma can't innovate. :madmax:

e2: actually going back to the math, it looks like your AP people are underbilling unless someone conjured around $2.3 million in profit out of nowhere.

who's skimming?

That's probably the "Other Income" they don't explain in the table. Also, I think that's actually $2.3 billion. :suicide:

quote:

e3: literally just doublechecked 3 times there's almost 3 million missing in the accounting here. in general, you should be able to proceed from (A) to (B) to (C) in accounting, please anonymously distribute rifles to your sportsman friends at work.

:lol:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
owned by an exponent

literally we're having a factor of ten^10 matter here because 10 million vice 10 billion is at stake. :negative:

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Mar 26, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
cui bono?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, only other thing I can find is "Royalties and other operating income - 2,285" (million CHF) for revenue. There's also a 4.7B CHF acquisition of another company on 17DEC2019 and 340M CHF of global restructuring costs (fire employees, claim it cost you money; hell yeah?).

Net income 17.4B CHF attributable to shareholders, 646M CHF attributable to non-controlling interests.

I don't know how to read these well enough to find missing moneybits.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sundae posted:

Yeah, only other thing I can find is "Royalties and other operating income - 2,285" (million CHF) for revenue. There's also a 4.7B CHF acquisition of another company on 17DEC2019 and 340M CHF of global restructuring costs (fire employees, claim it cost you money; hell yeah?).

Net income 17.4B CHF attributable to shareholders, 646M CHF attributable to non-controlling interests.

I don't know how to read these well enough to find missing moneybits.

Difficult to say, for sure. It's almost impossible to tell actually, because of regular accounting practices (I think I know you know this). It's safe to say that it wasn't going to the workers or even the middle managers (lol).

That acquisition though :hotpickle:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
please continue to post margins, we are all good here. fine, how are you? Post your FEIN , sit down, chill out.

canadians also welcome

Here is how to find your CEIN if you're a Canadian!

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 26, 2020

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

You got it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Moneyball posted:

You got it

if you quit posting before I receive adequate healthcare, I will personally butter my own self up

please don't make me do this

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
nvm

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 26, 2020

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.
9.6% margin, 1.8% EBIT... on a vast sea of revenue. Insurance is a funny business.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

if you quit posting before I receive adequate healthcare, I will personally butter my own self up

please don't make me do this

Let's not talk about my margins, by the way.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Moneyball posted:

Let's not talk about my margins, by the way.

low taxes anyway I bet

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
How is this protected information? It’s publicly available for the big public companies. And a positive margin is not a necessary indicator of evilness. Uber has had a negative margin it’s entire life and it’s a horrific company.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vomik posted:

How is this protected information? It’s publicly available for the big public companies. And a positive margin is not a necessary indicator of evilness. Uber has had a negative margin it’s entire life and it’s a horrific company.

Private companies like to hide it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Vomik posted:

Sundae posted:

Private companies like to hide it.

Margin isn't revenue, it's markup, aka "fee," and it has nothing to do with retail or anything like that either. And it's held pretty close to the vest, to the point where after-work conversations talking about pricing get shushed because "we don't want to be talking too much about our margin in public" (this is a thing and not even specific to me, either)

It''s pretty specific to government contractors, who are all, currently, making hay off this crisis.

So--post em!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
let me put this in terms that people who may be privy to this information without realizing it but also may not understand cost-accounting:

it is the poo poo that gets layered on top of the billable rate

That thing there, that can make it oh-so-trivially-easy to undercut, and which companies are absurdly protective of, instead of their employees.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what? in the civilized world, billable rate for professional services includes the margin. you don't bill at your cost.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what? in the civilized world, billable rate for professional services includes the margin. you don't bill at your cost.

See op

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

HiroProtagonist posted:

Margin isn't revenue, it's markup, aka "fee," and it has nothing to do with retail or anything like that either. And it's held pretty close to the vest, to the point where after-work conversations talking about pricing get shushed because "we don't want to be talking too much about our margin in public" (this is a thing and not even specific to me, either)

It''s pretty specific to government contractors, who are all, currently, making hay off this crisis.

So--post em!

I didn’t say revenue.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Vomik posted:

I didn’t say revenue.

Because that would still not be margin and Uber's negative revenue is not its margin.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
What in the heck is this?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

greasyhands posted:

What in the heck is this?
I'm low-key interested in what it will become.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

HiroProtagonist posted:

Because that would still not be margin and Uber's negative revenue is not its margin.

Uber doesn’t have negative revenue

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HiroProtagonist posted:

i dont think you understand revenue and margin

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
so long as this is the thread for dumb:

we are bootstrapping a startup via consulting income

why the gently caress is it that the higher our prices, the higher the close rate on contracts

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Tim Thomas posted:

why the gently caress is it that the higher our prices, the higher the close rate on contracts

When clients don't understand the work being done price is the only information they have. So they figure price is equivalent to quality. I've seen this large scale with senior executives suffering extreme cognitive dissonance when told their bloated, expensive, highly technical department is actually very under-performing: "They must be great! I'm paying so much for them!".

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Slow Motion posted:

When clients don't understand the work being done price is the only information they have. So they figure price is equivalent to quality. I've seen this large scale with senior executives suffering extreme cognitive dissonance when told their bloated, expensive, highly technical department is actually very under-performing: "They must be great! I'm paying so much for them!".

I get that in general, but this is such a niche industry (plasma/particle accelerator capital equipment and end applications/regulatory support) that you’d think that people would have some idea of what they’re paying for

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Slow Motion posted:

This right here is why you should always negotiate salaries.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

my bonus is based on hitting 30% each quarter. we're usually ~32%

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

I seem to remember hearing when Microsoft first introduced office they thought they’d beat lotus by offering it cheaper but it didn’t. Then when they raised the prices companies thought it meant it ws enterprise grade so it helped them.

The answer is the business world is run by idiots, and our economy is a house of cards

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This thread is only funny if you're super old like me and can remember learning about things like margins and EBITDA in school. All those silly numbers we used to pay such close attention to, back before the massive scale of buybacks in every industry made all those old metrics seem unimportant.

The director of my group is working on getting into flying just because he got bored with sailing after his third boat. Equity based compensation is a real mother fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i dont think you understand revenue and margin

:same:

This thread promises to be an interesting whirlwind for those in finance/accounting and deal with revenue and margin etc.