Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well gently caress, I did not anticipate that I would not enjoy this game? There's nothing wrong with it, I loved Bravely Default, Bravely Second and finished both games, but I think my taste in JRPGs has changed a lot since those games came out, and I no longer find these type of RPGs to be fun anymore. :/ It sure is super pretty though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
No problem. I managed to take these a long time back before Miiverse (or whatever it was) died.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I said come in! posted:

Well gently caress, I did not anticipate that I would not enjoy this game? There's nothing wrong with it, I loved Bravely Default, Bravely Second and finished both games, but I think my taste in JRPGs has changed a lot since those games came out, and I no longer find these type of RPGs to be fun anymore. :/ It sure is super pretty though!

I think there was something wrong with it, the demo is pretty bad.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's how I beat the ruins boss. It was so boring I didn't bother looking for more content. Is it just me or did they give you a really unsynergistic set of jobs?
Well I thought I was prepared with a well-rounded party but he just turned out to be a really slow fight that I ended up losing because I couldn't tell how long my provoke lasted or really any other information on the boss beyond his hit points and weaknesses.

Also he kept straight up ignoring my Provokes.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Maybe I should start Bravely Second but the job choices give me anxiety

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Jackard posted:

Well I thought I was prepared with a well-rounded party but he just turned out to be a really slow fight that I ended up losing because I couldn't tell how long my provoke lasted or really any other information on the boss beyond his hit points and weaknesses.

Also he kept straight up ignoring my Provokes.

This is the biggest problem I've had with the boss (I still haven't beaten it, tried once and did poorly). It seemed like maybe Blind would be useful, but without knowing when his turns were it was hard to time it when it would be useful, and it also seemed like it never lasted more than one turn and it was usually wasted with the boss Defaulting so much anyway.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Maybe I should start Bravely Second but the job choices give me anxiety

Selecting a job in general? Or the sidequest choices?

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
I have never had my unbridled enthusiasm for an upcoming game be so thoroughly crushed by playing its demo. The 3D models moving around on massive, painting-like 2D cities looked beautiful on the 3DS but on my television it just looks ugly. The movement in cities bothers me, you could tell they're doing the thing where your vertical movement is greatly dampened to simulate depth on the 2D background, I barely noticed it in the other two games but suddenly now it feels clunky and bad? And my biggest complaint from the first two games, the generic, constantly reused dungeon design that flies in the face of the intricate town designs, remains in full force.

Plenty has been said about the UI and battle changes in this thread already, but I really dislike the switch away from inputting all actions at the start of the turn because it changes the way defaulting works. In BD and BS, a character who defaults does so at the very start of the turn, so it's actually reliable as a defensive option. In BD2 a slow character will be pummeled by enemies before their action even comes up, so a defense boost at that point is worthless. The combat itself is... the same as ever? That's both good and bad, but this demo was their chance to show us a new class or two or some new mechanic, but it's the same class lineup as always with the same abilities as always. Maybe there will be a second demo later on.

And the voice acting in battles was neat at first but within 30 seconds I was begging the characters to shut the hell up. It's not short grunts or quick asides, they spew out endless lengthy one-liners for every action. Lengthy enough that they're constantly interrupting their party members and even themselves every few seconds. I shouldn't be hearing one person's voice overlaid on itself two or three times over when I've queued up multiple actions in a row. I literally laughed out loud the first time Seth cast Cure on the entire party, I expect that to be fixed in the final game.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
This was not a good demo, I was so excited when Bravely Default II was announced but the demo was such a slog that I'm not sure I got any enjoyment from it. I know the demo states at the beginning that the enemy difficulty is heightened but I don't understand why when there's nothing new about the combat, if there were new jobs to play around with it might make sense so that we could experiment but if I wanted to be a black mage or a monk I'd be better off replaying Default or Second. I also had the same issues with the turn order, menu and battle UI that everyone else seems to have had, hopefully they'll hear that a lot from the survey we're supposed to be getting and make some changes for the finished product.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Selecting a job in general? Or the sidequest choices?

the sidequest choices, yeah.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

the sidequest choices, yeah.

You can get everything by the end of the game, so it comes down to personal preference.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Clarste posted:

I think there was something wrong with it, the demo is pretty bad.

Is this the general opinion? I'll hold judgment then! I really want to like this game, but I feel like its me that is the problem, not the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

Is this the general opinion? I'll hold judgment then! I really want to like this game, but I feel like its me that is the problem, not the game.

The demo is a step back from Octopath, it's not just you

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I wrote about my concerns early on but I'm not that worried about the full game because I get the idea from the demo that this is probably really early in development

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah I think this is basically like a playable Alpha

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think it was silly not to have the sliders in the demo, like the qol features for the original 2 games was awesome and i loved them. theyre gonna put them in the final game so like, put them in the demo too so people have an accurate representation of the game

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

precision posted:

Yeah I think this is basically like a playable Alpha

That might explain why they're being so vague about the release date.

Beat the ruins boss last night, turns out Poison was the big help since it never wore off after the initial cast. Blind seemed to almost never land and never last more than a single turn, which sucks when half his turns are Defaulting anyway.

So now time to try to fight that Sandworm, although I'm grinding out a few job levels now as well as money, since the shop has a bunch of new items.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the right balance of offense and defense to fight him normally, but honestly it feels like the safest strat might be to run four vanguards, one with a black mage sub and the rest subbing white mage, get poison to stick, and then just sandbag until the worm dies. Obviously this would be incredibly unfun, though.

I ended up beating him. I made three Black Mage/Thieves and one Black Mage/Vanguard. Equip everyone with two ice rods. Have the thieves use steal spirit and the vanguard use shell split. Next turn everyone casts four blizzagas It was surprisingly easy once I had a good strat. Turns out there's an even harder enemy after the Sandworm. A wooden golem, he just spawns in a little forested area far north of the town. There's no quest or anything for him. A similar strat worked for that guy too. Three BM/T and one Vanguard/Monk. Have the thieves steal his BP every turn or just default if he's already at -3. Once everyone has full BP have all the thieves use steal spirit four times (they stack) and the vanguard shell split once, and firebird twice. Next turn all the mages cast fira four times. Should put him down without ever getting an action. Fighting defensively seemed to be a losing proposition. Just blitzing the hell out of everything with as much damage as possible seems to work much better.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 30, 2020

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think my issue with the UI stuff feeling clunky isn't what's giving me a bad impression it's that the dungeon design is still really dull and coupled with no way to turn off encounters and having them set to hard make a it a slog to play.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 30, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sandworm and Wood Golem down, used the same team and mostly the same strategy for both.

Seth - White Mage main, Thief sub, Bare Knuckle Brawler/Crit Boost/Revenge
Gloria - Black Mage main, White Mage sub, Uncanny Economy/Revenge
Adelle - Vanguard main, Freelancer sub, Crit Boost/Revenge/Further Favor
Elvis - Black Mage main, Thief sub, Uncanny Economy/Revenge

The strategy is similar but there were some differences. For both, Gloria inflicts Poison at the start of battle, since it never seems to wear off. After that, on Sandworm, her and Seth start casting Protect on everyone when they need it, and Cura when someone takes damage. If everyone is protected and at full HP (and Sandworm isn't Defaulting) then Gloria can sneak in a Blizzara, but it was pretty rare. Seth uses Steal Sword on Sandworm, then regular attacks on Sandworm to keep his MP up if nobody needs healing or Protect, since he gains between 20 and 80 MP depending on how hard his fists hit, and uses his Special when it's up.

Adelle mostly just Defaults a bunch and then spends all her BP to use Lucky Charm on Gloria and Elvis, maybe once in a while she could try to inflict Blind on the Sandworm but the hit rate sucks and it never lasts more than a turn or two, she's mostly there to draw attacks and keep MP topped off, and sometimes use the defense down abilities if she has free time. Elvis uses Steal Spirit and spams Blizzara as much as he can.

For Wood Golem it was similar, but his defense was too high for Seth's fists to deal much damage, so he took on a purely defensive/support role for this battle and was an Ether bot to help out Adelle. Especially since Stonega, even under Steal Spirit, will generally OHKO anyone if he single targets it. I also didn't bother with Protect at all this battle (except to get rid of defense down on Adelle) since his physicals could OHKO anyone besides Adelle anyway, and Steal Sword didn't help much either.

In both fights I defaulted when the enemy did, since that usually was a sign they were about to take multiple turns and I needed the defense boost.

Not really fun and it took a while for the team to work (Sandworm took about five or six tries, Wood Golem took two), but I blame the higher enemy difficulty for that. Although yeah, doing these fights really made me wish for some sort of turn order indicator because it's really difficult to plan ahead when you don't know who's going next.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
A survey for feedback on the demo is available.

I highly recommend voicing all your complaints about the weird steps back they’ve taken from Octopath and the previous Bravelys.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It looks like the survey is broken. I can't submit it, it just takes me back to the first page.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Same, I want to submit feedback but it won't let me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it isn't a very good demo. It might not be that you don't like this style of JRPG anymore--it might just be that you don't like this particular game, which seems to be a rational reaction to the demo.

I bounced off Bravely Second pretty quickly when I first tried it years ago but maybe I should give it another go instead.

Golden Goat posted:

I think my issue with the UI stuff feeling clunky isn't what's giving me a bad impression it's that the dungeon design is still really dull and coupled with no way to turn off encounters and having them set to hard make a it a slog to play.

This is another of my disappointments but to be fair I should've expected it. Bravely Default had really boring dungeons, and what I played of Octopath showed those dungeons weren't great, either. It's clearly just not something this team is good at and/or not something they're interested in putting a lot of resources into.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You can get everything by the end of the game, so it comes down to personal preference.

but the moral choices?!!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tired Moritz posted:

but the moral choices?!!

The trick is to always side with the person you disagree with first so you can set up a golden route for when the stakes actually matter.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Cattail Prophet posted:

The trick is to always side with the person you disagree with first so you can set up a golden route for when the stakes actually matter.

but what if they have the superior class? see, life is too difficult for my lizard brain.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Octopath dungeons are actually great, they're short and sweet and never annoying

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

precision posted:

Octopath dungeons are actually great, they're short and sweet and never annoying

Yeah, Octopath dungeons are short but have just enough little secrets and sidepaths to make it seem like they're longer without overstaying their welcome.

Playing this demo more, I'm just gonna say it; it sucks. Gameplay is okay and I actually like the chibi cute graphics but everything else is a total pile. Fortunately the "everything else" here is all stuff that can easily be fixed before launch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Same, I want to submit feedback but it won't let me.

It's a trap: every time you try to submit feedback it actually destroys a dimension.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Octopath dungeons suck rear end and are literally just straight lines with like, a branch or two at best that lead to chests with potions in them at best due to them not wanting to hide equipment in any of them for whatever reason. I think they're honestly the worst dungeons/maps in any JRPG I've ever played.

There's no puzzles, some settings seem to get re-used despite being in a totally different area, and they all have Therion chests just to poo poo on everyone that doesn't want to use him. It's genuinely hard to imagine BD2 having worse because I can't even imagine what worse would look like.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 31, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tried this. Got a game over in my first battle against a group of pigs with twice as much health as my characters. Uninstalled, 8/10.

I can see this being good with an actual difficulty progression, but what a terribly designed demo.

Also wasn't a fan of how far back the camera was pulled in the town. Playing in docked mode on a 42" TV and everything was still way too small.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The battle difficulty in the demo makes it a little unfun, the wasps and snakes are just awful to fight, they've wiped my party several times. My last wipe though was probably my own fault, I'm rocking 4 Freelancers just to get that mastered. I probably shouldn't. :|

I do like that mobs will use the battle system too though, not just bosses. I recall from the previous games it was basically just bosses who did.

I expect I will probably enjoy the game, but I do agree it could do with some UX improvements in menus and such.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think mobs were more proactive with the battle system in Second, but definitely not as much as bosses.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I only wish I could actually submit feedback right now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't even submit full feedback because the survey text boxes are extremely character limited.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

they all have Therion chests just to poo poo on everyone that doesn't want to use him.

This is what loving annoyed me. Therion was in my group quite a bit, but I still didn't want to backtrack every dungeon just to get those dumb things.

Octopath was great, but it had some dumb design choices. Therion is guilty of two. Those chests sucked, but so did his save-scummable steals in town.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Backtracking to get Therion chests takes literally less than 10 minutes, for some dungeons it's more like 5. Considering how short the dungeons are to go through the first time, that's like... nothing

I'm not sure some of you actually like JRPGs at all

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I have more problems with the sandworm boss that would brave three times randomly and nuke my entire team.

Would really love the ability to see loving turns if they're gonna do it like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I dunno I just want some more going on with dungeons then it just being a pretty straight run to the boss in a really dull background (The ruins in the demo did not look great).