Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :dogcited:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I hope multiverse hopping happens and lets the Default 1/Second crews show up or at least make cameos at some point.

Also one of the main characters should be quietly replaced with Edea before release, is that in the survey?

Avalerion posted:

I'm def expecting some kind of twist given that it's bravely, some tie in with the plot hooks from second's ending.
at the end of the game the letters in bravely default ii rearrange themselves to read 'virtually edea' and it turns out this was all just edea playing a vr game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

So does this mean you can't turn off encounters like in BD1?
not in the demo at least

also the overworld encounters don't really make a difference since it's not like you can avoid or outrun them anyway in 90% of the cases

e: wait this is my cue to drop the hot take that random encounters are actually superior to overworld encounters :yeah:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
she sounds swedish and i'm not sure if i love that or hate it

not that i'll be playing with the english voices anyway but still

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ledgem posted:

Is there no way to change character order in this? They can't possibly make you have your overworld character forced to be generic mc dudeface, it's a standard in these games to let you pick your favourite of the four to walk around!

this is my #1 complaint

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inflammatory posted:

they've said that the combat difficulty in the demo is a little overtuned, but a lot of the fun in these games comes from finding ways to break them over your knee with specific job and ability combinations. for example, in the previous games you could give everyone in your party a passive that would give them bp whenever they were hit with a status effect, then have one character dedicated to spamming status spells on the party to generate a ton of bp every turn for the rest of the party to spam. it isn't usually necessary until late/postgame though.

but yeah if that sort of thing doesn't appeal to you then you might wanna pass on this one.
yeah I think the base game(s) have been very good at letting you do whatever strategy you feel like, just kinda mixing and matching and trying new things. Half the fun is trying to come up with your own stupid synergies and strategies, maybe you find something you really like aesthetically, maybe you find some really gamebreaking combo :pram:

then you get to the optional superbosses and at that point the game doesn't just allow you to break the game, it fully expects you to if you wanna have any chance of winning. It also owns.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RunawayPantleg posted:

Unlikely, the chibi style is pretty much the Bravely series trademark. I think it just looks a little out of place now on a major HD console release compared to the 3DS games where it looked more at home on a handheld that didn't have HD rendering.

honestly I think the reason it looks a bit uncanny is because of the noses and lips, plus the skin shader being kinda bad. In the other games they were pretty featureless (more in line with the artwork) and had a very matte shading, which worked a lot better imo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The previous Bravely games gave the player a lot of control over battles--the difficulty, frequency, and the flow of each actual fight--and we're all about being challenging even with the player so empowered. I loved that about the original: I could use the job system to attempt to break the game in half and the game would push back just as hard in a way that felt fair and fun. That's why I hope they either add a turn forecast or go back to the "enter your commands for the team all at once" style of the previous games. The way combat flows in the demo just doesn't feel right for the kind of strategies Bravely games (including the demo) seem to want you to use.

yeah this is my biggest complaint for sure and what I tried to convey in the survey. It feels like a huge step back because it takes one of the biggest strategic things in the previous games (who does what, and in what order) and just kinda... throws it out. I will echo the sentiment that it feels like a pretty early demo though so with any hope that's the kind of thing they'll have a chance at changing before launch :pray:

e: also the loss of those QOL features was probably my biggest complaint about Octopath Traveler too. It's hard to go back to a JRPG with no QOL after playing Bravely, where you could not only adjust encounter rate, you could straight up turn off encounters. Or turn them way up. Or disable exp gain. Or disable gold gain. Just, gently caress it, do whatever you want. Play however you want. It was so incredibly good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
can you not change the order of your party members anymore? :negative:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ethiser posted:

They added a little info box that explains what ever you have selected menus which is really nice and helpful, but the rest of the UI wasn’t designed with it in mind so it covers up stuff sometimes, mainly when looking at equipment. In shops it can be hard to tell to tell the effects on a character if the item has a longer description and the same thing happens in the equipment menu.

you can press the stick to hide or show the info box

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

more of the same

hell, I wish :pray:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

The turn system change alone is a massive change to the feel of the combat so I have a feeling any reviewer who says it's "more of the same" is definitely looking for different things than me from these games
yeah genuinely this

this and the random encounter change is a huge deal for me and something I'm still kinda negative about. I hope I will still enjoy the game despite it. I also hope that they didn't remove the ability to change the party leader in the main game because they did that in the final demo and it worries me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This reminds me of Xenosaga, no random battles, but there are monsters in a corridor and they move twice as fast as you, so you wouldn't be able to skip them even if you wanted to.
this has been true for every game with overworld monsters and is why I never got the argument that it's somehow superior to random battles because of the fabled "lets you choose your battles" :sigh:

Terper posted:

Yeah I've been kinda cold on the game through the previous demos and the battle changes... But I bought it anyway cus dammit I like Bravely and I will decide my own feelings once I've beaten it.

:same:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

Didn't Bravely Default let you turn off encounters? Why didn't they bring it back?
yeah, it gave you complete control over the encounter rate - you could turn it down, turn it off, even turn it way up if you wanted. You also had control over exp gain, job point gain and money gain which let you grind exactly as much or as little as you wanted. It was genuinely the best implementation possible in my opinion, and then we never saw it again :rip:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Game's out now and

it forces you to sit through 5 cutscenes before you get access to the main menu in order to change settings

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

can you not change the order of your party members anymore? :negative:
update: you cannot

they let you change who's in front in the first demo but for mysterious reasons they removed this in the second demo and in the final game. You're stuck playing as the generic dude.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

grieving for Gandalf posted:

complaining about cutscenes at the beginning of the game is goofy, it's like fifteen minutes before you can pull up a main menu

also I started with a fish in my inventory that mentions luring aquatic monsters into "continuous battle," so it seems maybe there's something like there was in Bravely Second after all?
I really dislike the voice acting and the game won't let you change it until you've gone through the cutscenes, that's all

chaining does seem to be in, in a couple of different forms. There's those food items that talk about continuous battle and also if you get a group of overworld mobs close to each other you'll battle each one after the other (and gain chain bonus for jp)

another early game observation is that it seems like the faster mobs don't actually chase you but run in a direct line towards you, giving you a chance to avoid them (assuming enough space of course)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKeny1 posted:

The "fairy flies" thing was really cool tbh and bravely second not having something like that was kind of a letdown, so hopefully this one does.

'send player' :ssh:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 27, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I've already mentioned the stuff I'm disappointed with, but I'm seeing some more things now that make me appreciate the changes a bit more (or just dislike them less, I guess?) In particular they didn't *just* go over to an overworld mob way of doing things with no regard for the previous QOL since you get items that let you avoid enemies and items that let you chain battles. Not sure how plentiful or effective they are but they still address some of my biggest worries, and since I'm still early in the game there might be more items and/or job abilities that make up for the lack of the random battle QOL from the first two games.

I'm also really enjoying the characters! I'm glad they didn't retread the womanizer thing with Elvis.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
re: character models, imo it's the lips and noses that make them kinda uncanny in a way the characters in the first games weren't

anyway i'm having an absolute blast. even tho i'm not generally a fan of overworld mobs i think they implemented it thoughtfully, and all the new jobs i've gotten are wonderful so far. just got the (p. sure this was in one of the trailers but spoilering just in case) gambler job which i love the concept of. so stupid and almost universally bad in games they show up in, and yet something i enjoy way too much :allears: also instead of mp they use money which is hilarious

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the one thing currently bothering me is that I haven't gotten a healer job since White Mage and I've already mastered that one long ago. Putting White Mage as a sub job obviously will still let you heal, but all the other jobs except Bard seem to have pretty bad stats for it making the heals weak

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just learned that bosses can run out of MP :pram:

the last few fights have been so full of immunities that I've got into the fights with very few ways of actually dealing any damage, which is kinda frustrating. I lost the first one and re-did my party (first game over at ~30 hours, not too bad!) but the second one I had a very resilient party...... but also very little that damaged the boss. So I just kinda.. healed and poked and healed and poked for what felt like hours. Eventually the boss couldn't attack me anymore because it was out of MP.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

The crystals and warriors of light are an intentional homage to FF5 since that's where the bravely series draws basically of its DNA from
yeah there's a pretty clear lineage with FF3 -> FF5 -> FF Four Heroes of Light -> Bravely

which is to say, Bravely Default is the best Final Fantasy game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was really skeptical after the demos but I've just been binging this non-stop the last few days and I gotta say the game is just blowing me away

it's seriously good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
right after posting that i got to a certain twist in the story and holy gently caress

game so good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Today I learned: not only can Shieldmaster cover allies for physical attacks... they can loving intercept magic.

Love to watch enemies throw full-team spells and Gloria just eats all four hits herself.
:hmmyes: the correct choice

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

So I'm getting ready to go into the obviously telegraphed bard dungeon, but I keep thinking I want to finish hammering out max level freelancer on all my guys for JP up and up. I've only gotten like 2 of the monster chaining items so I'm kind of hesitant on burning one of those for sick nasty chain bonuses. At the moment most of them are most of the way through Freelancer 10, but man even with the +20% it's still taking an age. Am I better just saying gently caress it and spinning up everyone on the jobs since they do all have at least the +20 and maybe hammer out +50 later on?
grinding out jobs early is just a huge time waster and not at all worth it

once you get a bit further in the game you can chain low level mobs and rack up hundreds of jp per fight, with enemies that you one-shot in a single turn.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yusin posted:

Do people recommend this game so far?

i can't speak on behalf of People but for my own sake, absolutely

i went into the game expecting to be disappointed (but still enjoy the job system and music) after the demos, but so far it's nothing like i thought and way better in every way. characters own, jobs own, story owns, music owns, game owns

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

This game definitely feels a little bit harder than the other two, but not so much that it’s unfun. Granted, I’m early on so I don’t have a lot of jobs yet, but I’ve been able to get through it just fine even if I’m not steamrolling everything. :shrug: Game’s great AFAICT.

Do people really have an issue with the game?

I just finished it, and as the world's biggest Bravely Default fan it didn't *quite* reach that level of amazing for me but I thoroughly enjoyed the game and think it's great!

This is after being extremely skeptical due to the demos, but it turns out they thought about most of the things I was worried about and it just didn't show in the demos.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

The only "counter" that's ever made me just plain angry is "Reflect Physical Damage" because gently caress yoooouuuuuuu.

I couldn't even be angry because in a single turn I just annihilated myself and got a game over :pram:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

I am extremely sad that I read this and the previous few posts, minus the other posts’ spoilered parts. :cripes: The weird and cool poo poo they did in BD1 (and to a much lesser extent in BS) is one of the big draws for Bravely Default for me. If they don’t have that, then why am I playing this game?

Might put the game down for a while now.

For those who share my disappointment with where the story is going, what games that measure up to BD1 should I go play to cheer myself up?
fwiw i think they are being overly negative and i enjoyed the game a lot. although it doesn't go as off the rails as bd1 it does contain its own meta elements

absolutely nothing will reach the level of bd1 for me tho

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love BD1 but there are definitely things about the characterization that bothers me. Ringabel's womanizer shtick is unfunny and misogynistic, the game's got the "old wise man is a huge sex creep" trope, the whole Red Mage situation... I liked that BD2 avoided these things.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually I haven't played Octopath Traveler yet; would people put that above or below BD2 strictly from a "Is like FF5" point of view

not the same at all

e: to elaborate it does not have the same kind of job system as 5 and the Bravely games. Each character has their own distinct job and eventually you will unlock sub-jobs where they can also get the skills of another job but they will always have "their" job as a base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Caidin posted:

I would count the Wiswald bosses as innocent outside the mastermind. Like they were pointedly and obviously manipulated by the paintings. I guess Galahads PROTECT short circuits could have been shield master talking but... honestly why did Lily even have an astrerisk? She wasn't involved in any paint production or guarding anything, she was just a threat to Folie's control over Roddy.

she was guarding the forest where the kid got her yellow paint from