Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Jormungandr is pissing me off, somebody help me beat this guy before I throw my Switch in the garbage. He wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t for the four other enemies who are also annoying and fast!

Edit: my characters are lv 57-58, I am in ch 6, maybe I am just too weak?

I beat it at 58. Have someone with Phantom level 12 with a sub job of Salve-Maker. Use compound to constantly charm bombs and paralyze bombs. Since the bombs are guaranteed by the phantom ability it becomes a trivial slog.

The enemies rarely use physical attacks so they'll keep smacking each other around as you slowly whittle their hp away. Took several hours however so... yeah.

Fun fact, this tactic also trivializes almost all of the second round fighters with the asterisk bearers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I've been playing this for while but I'm not sure about some of the subtler mechanics. Does a subjob provide any benefit beside the ability to use that jobs abilities? Is there any difference between a mastered sub-job vs an unmastered? Does anything change once you can start getting lvl 13-15 jobs?

So there are certain abilities that will either grant you the specialities of the subjob (Subjob specialization 1 or 2) or the stat weapon proficiencies. Certain jobs as well. For example Swordmaster, with two swords equipped will grant all the specialities of the sub class. (Some weapons can do this too).

Past that, yup, just the abilities are available when you choose a sub job and nothing more. You typically want to do something that compliments the main job attributes and skills.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Contagion also does amazing wonders if you can survive the onslaught while it bleeds em (takes about 10 turns or so). Most enemies AI basically will keep spamming spells or abilities they have not enough mana to cast, so fights get hilariously silly.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
A bit of a PSA. The gambler's passive ability, Rare Talent seems to also reduce your chances of getting the normal drop of enemies by the same amount. Sheesh so much time grinding for nothing but 99 Huge JP orbs.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
BD1 had broken combos like BD2, but it felt more... unique. Yes there was cheese tactics but some optional bosses punished you heavily for it and you had to adjust your build very specifically for certain bosses. It treated the job system as a puzzle, which in turn makes it feel more rewarding.

BD2 really don't have these kinds of bosses or challenge. The dominant strategy just works... every boss no matter what. The refights were close, but with their gain BP every move counter, it quickly penalizes you for trying interesting things.

But really BD2 suffers because no one says Mggrrgrr.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
Seth must really want on that Soggy isle for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Fancy Hat! posted:

I gave up after beating Chapter 4, and felt the plot was growing a little listless and the constant enemy battles weren't interesting me enough to grind through.

One small question so I don't have to watch a guide: Does the game ever revisit the weird timed minigame Seth has to do to win the Wind Crystal's favor at the beginning of the game as some sort of twist?

None of the other party members have to do it (Since we're lead to believe that Seth would have been dead without the Wind Crystals intervention) so it really stuck out as a big "This is going to be addressed later" thing.

ALSO: Is there any significance that all the islands you visit start with the letter "S"? Or is that just a silly little flourish.

Nope. Letting the timer expire just gives you a game over and its never addressed again. It doesn't even bring it up when you talk to talk to the crystals again before the first ending.