Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Any word on the damage cap?

I really, really hate how it warps a lot of the design space and made certain classes just objectively terrible in the late game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

eonwe posted:

I've never played the first Bravely Default, I guess it was on 3DS?

Am I missing much, or is this FF style where ever game is sorta self contained? Also...is this just made by FF people?

Also, Octopath Traveler is on sale 50% off. Now that the hype has died down, worth or no?

Well Bravely Second was a direct sequel to Bravely Default, it even shared 2/4 of the playable characters.

We have no idea yet how/if Bravely Default II is tied in story-wise but the plot for both previous games leaned a lot on dimension hopping bullshit so :shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Are they getting rid of the damage cap? I really hate how that made all the 'big hit' classes utterly worthless compared to the ones that got multiple attacks in the first two games. Especially with how quickly you rammed into it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Yeah, though their power wasn't in raw numbers. It was in getting everyone their BP revenge passive and then having one person as a Red Mage spam-poisoning your team to fill up their BP. Definitely extremely powerful but not in the "powerful offensive spellcaster" sense they seem capable of in BD2.

Red Mage was my preferred BP battery in the first game, I had a blast with that

Offensive spellcasters didn't exist past about the mid-game in either of the previous games because of the way the damage cap worked and the fact you didn't get any multi-hit magic stuff like you do with dual/quad wielding and other multi-hit physical skills. The damage cap removes a ton of design space and really sucks and I have no idea why game designers are still obsessed with a technical limit from the old FF games.

Like hmmm, should I hit 4x for 9999 damage for 1 BP or 1x for 9999 damage. Real tough call there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Something feels tonally strange about how loving awful the villains are in most of the earlier chapters (and maybe latter ones too, but I'm only at Chapter 4). Like the bad guys do stuff that is disturbingly brutal in a way that sort of clashes with a lot of the rest of the game's tone.

Like in chapter 3 Gladys is not even remotely a sympathetic figure; she's basically like a Sonderkommando except arguably worse.

Granted, BD1 also had some weirdness with various Asterisk bosses being awful pieces of poo poo and then suddenly being good during the loops, but I don't remember much on the level of "pile of corpses who a little girl slit the throats of to make red paint" (except for maybe the forest village stuff with the fairies).

Yeah this was also a thing in Default and Bravely Second. There's this incredible strain of the villains doing absolutely horrific things and then the second the party beats them they verge into sympathetic comedy relief in an incredible jarring way.

Like the Fairy forest in 1 where you literally saw two little girls beat each other to death on screen.