Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The twist of the game is going to be Parallel Dimensions hate to break it to you folks.

The game isn't called bravely default 2, it's Bravely Default | |

At one point in the game you're going to have to go to the different dimension and your cast will invade the title screen and hop from one | to the other | you heard it here first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Octopath dungeons suck rear end and are literally just straight lines with like, a branch or two at best that lead to chests with potions in them at best due to them not wanting to hide equipment in any of them for whatever reason. I think they're honestly the worst dungeons/maps in any JRPG I've ever played.

There's no puzzles, some settings seem to get re-used despite being in a totally different area, and they all have Therion chests just to poo poo on everyone that doesn't want to use him. It's genuinely hard to imagine BD2 having worse because I can't even imagine what worse would look like.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 31, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder how many jobs there are in general. I'm up to Bard and I'm thinking about how Bravely Second just had Too Many Classes (and that was fun) but everything so far is just kinda bog standard. I want some freaking weirdos like being a crazy cat person.

Also super not feeling the cast so far. Fully acknowledge it's *chapter 1* but everyone just feels :effort: so far. Every conversation is just
Seth: :blank:
Gloria: I am very nice (or) The Crystals
Evlis: Where is the Food and the Drink
Adella: Ooooh Elvis!!! You!!!

I enjoyed Tiz and the gang and again, early on but just feels kinda phoned in at the moment. Also having enemies already throwing -ra spells at me makes me feel like I'm further along than I actually am. Hell Elvis is already casting -ga's and I'm used to seeing those at the ends of these games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm in the Thief's dungeon and am I missing something. Enemies are running from me but if I get in a fight they all do like 400 damage per hit and come in waves of 6 units with more HP then I can reasonably handle. I admit I'm used to burning things down and moving on but this feels wrong that a random encounter can super drain my resources.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Weird, left thief's dungeon, came back and suddenly everything is doing 100-200 damage and there isn't as serious of a damage hike. Cleared the two bosses and got the optional one in town and I have no idea how much I'm going to care to play this card game but it seems cute enough.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question regarding chapter 2 and the three paths it seemingly presents. The game asked who I wanted to go after first with Roddy and Lily and I chose Roddy- literally every fight I went through was giving me the underdog bonus and things were hitting me for 700+ damage easy, I only mitigated it due to Gloria as a white mage overhealing everyone and having enough boons to never run out of MP but uh, is this just a level check or was I supposed to do him second?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Beat what I assume is the big bad of chapter 2 Folio fights like a little girl. All the others were tough to some degree but she just crumpled and couldn't do a thing to anyone. Was a pretty bad first impression of this goofy rear end class if all it could do was die :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm in chapter 3 and the cave sure is a thing huh.

Also what level are you supposed to be. I popped out into the land at level 28 and everything is spicy hot. It wasn't until I got to the cave boss (at 31) that things were 'normal' and that seems kinda bonkers.

Also that boss was also really easy thank you godspeed strike ilu

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Gladys is so goddamn cool.

Like she's a jerk that got mislead but still really cool.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's stopping me from putting MP saver on everyone and just sleepwalking the entire game with a party godspeed striking every boss to death

Also just started chapter 4 Sad Gladys died. Weird feeling as she is kind of a Problem, but least she went out in a cool enough way. Lot of the twists had me smirking because on Adelle's backstory and knowing this series. I swear if she backstabs the party then I'm just gonna laugh :v: .
Decided to go after the zombie dude as I hate him the most but I kinda appreciate how diseased some of his line reading is. Still gonna shove him into a locker.

Chapter 3's big final boss but is there any counter to bomb arm? I got my first boss wipe because he just started spamming it relentlessly and gently caress me I guess. Would of lost the second time around but just said gently caress it and godspeed strike spammed him so only Adelle was left alive. Thank god for EXP and JP orbs for catch up :effort:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question about the Arcanist myself but was he even a boss? Everything in his dungeon had to be planned around but dude did like 200 damage at best to anyone he was trying to hit and was only healing himself like 300 when he was trying to absorb elements. It felt like something REALLY broke that fight because he was just a punching bag and all 3 forms died in like 5 turns tops.

Also regarding that job is it even worth using? Half of it's list is 'kills yourself' and after meteor or whatever did like 300 damage it just seems like giga poo poo.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Most abilities listed say "will reduce your own hp (not past 1 tho)'' so was kind of used to that logic. Imagine my surprise when I All In'd 4 Darkga's killing everyone in the room including myself :v:

Just victory fanfare as my other 3 party members stare at Seth's corpse in the yamcha pose.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I have a general question - I just got to Chapter 5 and I'm curious to how much of the story is left. It's weird that the pacing feels so off. Like I just sank a airship and defeated angry russia man but I feel like nothing has really happened. Like, if this was BD1 or BS I'd be time looping by now or have some wild weird twist going on but no everythings just been kind of on the nose. I'm 40 hours in though so I'm just kinda curious to the run time.

Also am I missing a class? I keep finding herbs and shops are selling them and they're just clogging everything up. I have room for one more class (I think) and the general alchemy class being the finale feels like a fake out given the finale classes were Vampire and Yokai in the previous games.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Can I get some team building tips. Early chapter 6 and I'm just not killing things fast enough and things are starting to one shot me.

The boss of chapter 5 took me like 5 tries because she'd just go apeshit and spam nukes and when I won was just 'least that's over.' Got Freelancers up to 15 and swapped back to what I was before to continue leveling up and my monk and arcanist (I think, funny top hat) just die in one shot to everything even though I thought I had them in up to date equipment. Enemies aren't flashing red but I feel so insanely weak :/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks for the tips on dealing with the trash in chapter 6. Finished that off.

I sleptwalked through the first two phases of Nexus and just got clobbered on the final part... like 3 times. I hate that I had to just keep redoing the easy parts to try the actual tough part. Plot is still kinda ehhh but now I'm waiting for the title screen to turn into a play button.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really like having a varied set of jobs in these games- no one sharing the same one unless it's to level it up but holy poo poo I was getting mad at the W/R/R/V trial so I said gently caress it and had a shieldbearer with salvemaker and 3 assassins/thiefs godspeed everyone straight to hell..

This is kind of absurd, this won't work on everything right?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ojetor posted:

They're pretty good to keep your healer's MP up during dungeons if you can't be arsed to buy 99 Ethers.

Wouldn't replacing them with MP regen and half mp be better? Only time I'm ever out is when a enemy specifically tells me 'no you can't cast now' and steals all of it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just beat the final boss and that sucked lol. What a complete let down of a finale, I'm super bummed out by the Bravely Team. :smith:

Boss fight:
I made four bravebearers with freelance subclassed and used the artist 'bp skills cost 0 to use' ability and Nexus got literally no turns. Not a single one. I just held down brave and it died thanks to true grit and natural speed getting me out of -3 easily. Does it have cool attacks? I have no idea! Then when it died it just kinda farts and vanishes with no fanfare and that just sucked rear end.

Ending:
So who was the Nights Nexus, just some girl who got huge brained in a library I guess? Fount of Memories got mentioned as it wants the biggest brain in the universe but there's literally nothing else going on with it. It turned Edna into a statue so that's a thing it can do? Also who is Seth? You literally never find out where he came from originally or his accent or why he's 'the one they need' or whatever. They explain loving nothing about him and he just shows up back on shore with a smiling emoji and it ends. There's no main menu or title screen gimmick, no weird ringabel multiverse ship thing, nothing.
I can appreciate that it wants to be it's own thing but with how meta the first 3 games got having *nothing* just sucks rear end. Seth and Gloria are just the worst.

I still liked the game but man it's a massive step back narrative wise, I'm actually really bummed out by that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God Chapter 5 boss character spoilers but they don't even tell you why Edna went crazy. You're told several times she loved humans but she came out went nutso and just started being evil because ??? Then she's just never really mentioned again outside one or two lines.

More I think about the story more bummed I get.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Farg posted:

i agree with basically all the story complaints, but basically the deal with seth was

to get to where nights nexus' actual core was, you needed to cross the outer ocean. the Old Lady mentions that you can't traverse the outer oceans to other lands (which are described as lands beyond death) without someone from there. seth was a sailor from another world who died in a storm. because the barriers were weakening between worlds, the wind crystal was able to reach out and bring him back (either bring him back to life or make a zombie out of him, either or really) and basically bet on him being a good warrior of light, because it knew that if the champions of light were to really get rid of the nexus for good, they'd need someone fitting his description. thankfully it worked out that seth was down 2 clown and was good at fighting, and because he had all the necessary criteria when the time came the heroes were able to travel to the isle of nothingness when the time came.

this wasn't clearly communicated to the player, you are correct.

I kinda got this but like Where is he from originally? He's the only person with that accent and at the start of the game he realizes he's never been to this land before so everywhere in the world is new to him. When they were talking about 'the outer oceans' with worlds being connected I thought it was alluding to the fact he came from a different dimension or reality or whatever as that's kind of a Thing in Bravely games. You just never find out anything about him, where he was born or... anything.

Noticing all the dropped story threads and wondering if the games just flat out unfinished. Bravely Default 2 is the 4th game in the series. Bravely Default (original Japanese only release) -> Bravely Second (before the ending of the game) -> Bravely Default (the remake with the Bravely Second mechanic added) -> Bravely Second (Ending) -> Bravely Default | |

Before release I was thinking about what the title screen gimmick could be and thought up 'what if it's a parallel universe thing and the | | represents the timelines or alt worlds.'

Seth not recognizing the world, the chapter titles becoming 'twin cages' 'twin ages' 'twin etc' - it feels like it was all building up to something... and then nothing happened. Combined with the awful unoptimized performance issues and large amount of step backs on features like the quest log I wonder if they hit a deadline.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Where can you check your list of captured monsters?

:)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My favorite thing about Bravely Default and Bravely Second is that despite it being two games there's actually 3

The original Japanese release didn't have the hourglass or encounter fixer or anything. This is Timeline A.
Bravely Second happens and near the end of the game the Traveler goes back in time to give Tiz the hourglass and ability to control encounters.
The re-release/international release is actually a different timeline than the original release as it's Tiz charging up the hourglass for Bravely Seconds ending.

It's so goofy. Also if you're really struggling with anything just do the 'I don't care anymore' method and go Final Class main job (True Grit gives you a extra +1 BP every turn), Freelancer Sub (For Body Slam), Picto's 0BP support ability and Bodyslam everything straight to hell. You'll get out of -3 before anything can actually get a turn against you and you just win. It's dumb.

Also question regarding the final dungeon. A lot of the time you'd be stopped and I had Seth go 'oh no, this fog is impossible.' then the screen would flash and the fog would be gone followed by 'wait what...?'

What the gently caress was that? Oh no that is a lot of monsters!! *vanish* Wait what?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kyrosiris posted:

If you pay attention, there's notices that other players' Seths are helping you out, and he's saying "wait what?" in response to the actual message.

I swear I didn't get any of that :negative:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kyrosiris posted:

Hrm. Were you offline at the time, maybe?

Nah, least I shouldn't of been. It was weird because I was scanning the screen to see if I missed something but was just ??? 'okay then I guess'

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

So I unlocked a job that has Sub Job BP Saver

I haven't gotten the skill yet but... this means 1BP skills are free? Aren't there 1 BP skills that give your party members BP? Also 1BP Skills that do loads of damage?

This seems really good

I'm in Chapter 3 at the moment and really enjoying how it feels my job combos are clicking but there is a LOT of dungeons and combat. Like if you do not want to actively engage in difficult JRPG combat do not play this game. I take a lot of breaks

The final job in the game at level 12, plus that skill and body slam means you can go -3BP and never lose another fight in the game no matter how underleveled you are.

This game is not very well balanced lol

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

LiefKatano posted:

Full team Reraise did help out a ton, thanks.

Or at least it made things interesting while feeling doable.

...Though apparently Sloan can dispel buffs with his Microgravity move which... come on, dude. Really?!

If you still need help

Make everyone Bravebearer lvl 12, put on subjob of Freelancer and have the picto skill that makes subjob BP skills cost 0. Start the fight, just go full brave and bodyslam everyone. Seriously you'll just kill them all despite going into -3 constantly. Just save Lonsdale for last as he'll counter- but he'll never actually get his turn.

Yes it's braindead and yes you'll win every time minus some phoenix downs. It's uh, very :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Good Citizen posted:

Anyone else just bodyslamming everything to death? I’m in chapter 3, maxed everyone as freelancer first thing, and since then I’ve killed everything I’ve run into with subclass freelancer doing a 1x forage 3x bodyslam. Works a lot better once you have the red mage ability that reduces sub class bp costs by one. There are jobs I’ve maxed where I’ve never used one of their skills.

I’m sure I’ll switch to another strategy eventually but until then, come on and slam

E: my bad I meant the pictomancer ability. Not red mage

Good news: You beat the game and nothing can stop you from doing this

In fact a late game class encourages you to do even more body slams