Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The card game in this rules. I had no idea there was gonna be one and I'm glad it seems mechanically interesting enough to spend time with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nah it's kinda Triple Triad inspired but with a lot of differences for it to be its own thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly instead of grinding JP a bunch early on it's better to just keep going through the story since you'll be drowning in jobs soon enough.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Beastmaster's Off the Chain ability is sick as hell. I fought that boss immune to physical attacks that one reviewer complained about and was able to nearly two-shot it with that skill, while underleveled for the area and on hard mode, even.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

The only disappointing class is Beastmaster because you have no idea what monster abilities do. I used one ability and it missed, and decided that was it I'm not going around catching everything just for a bunch of attacks that don't do anything. Pick up MP Saver and move on.

I've been able to regularly take out bosses in like 3 hits with monsters. Definitely not a class to sleep on if you like big numbers. Helps that it's very easy to capture monsters once you get the mercy skills.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Attack items are very potent early game, especially in asterisk fights where they have a bunch of monsters fighting alongside them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wow the Thief mastery passive that makes BP skills cost MP instead + Beastmaster's Off the Chain skill is some real sicko mode poo poo.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

do u believe in marigolds posted:

This is definitely spoiler territory but is there anything unique to steal from bosses? I haven't been able to steal from anything and I'm curious if it's worth it (particularly for one of a kind gear).

So far all the asterisk fights I've tried to steal from have told me that they have nothing to steal.

But on the other hand stealing from rare monsters on the overworld usually results in getting whatever they wind up dropping after battle so doubling up on that has been quite nice.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If nothing else it's going further in on climate change than FF5 and BD1 did.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr. Trampoline posted:

I'm really curious what the developer intended strategy for some of these bosses was. For example, I kind of grinded through the Monk boss fight by using the Freelancer specialty to just power through the physical counters. Is that what the devs intended? Did they intend for players to switch to all Black Mages to nuke with magic? There's so few options early on, but it felt like a mid-game encounter. Even the first one with the White Mage and Vanguard, I felt I only won because I had a super busted NPC who could actually outdamage the heals, but maybe that was intended. :shrug:

You could also use protect on your physical attackers to help with the counter damage. That, black magic, and a few attack items for good measure was how I handled it.

e: Also defang on Vanguard helped a bunch too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

The only disappointing thing about the first two asterisk bearers is that they're not recurring characters.

Dag's accent was delightful.

Someone hasn't been doing all the sidequests!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

I'm somewhat frustrated at you for bullying me into interfacing with their poorly-implemented side-quest system.

They're so inconsistent as to whether they'll be voiced and amusing or phoned in yet require running back and forth between two locations roughly 6 times, and I can't figure out how they decide when things are gonna have icons and when they aren't.

Can you at least spoiler which town such quests show up in?

In the desert town there's a guy who wants you to find a vase from an old mansion, the two of them make an appearance during that quest.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

oswald ownenstein posted:

What exactly are these games?

Are they final fantasy but called something else?

I'm intrigued, but I bought dragon quest whatever and just put it down, so I'm hestitant.

The precursor to Bravely Default was a Final Fantasy spinoff (Four Heroes of Light) so it's basically like a modern take on old Final Fantasy games. FF5 specifically.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Has anyone been having problems with the game crashing after resuming from sleep mode? Happened to me twice in the past 12 hours and I've gotten a bit miffed about it, especially since the second crash happened overnight so I wasn't able to wake up to a lot of boat loot :negative:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Due to chronic lack of time I'm still really early in the game having just rescued Gloria. I've already decided to grind out Freelancer on everyone while Sir Sloan is still with the party, but should I also grind out the first job sets (Black Mage/White Mage/Vanguard/?) on at least one character? I assume I'll want those maxed out at some point, but I'm not sure how much opportunity there is to do that before I'll want to grind out the next set of jobs.

Unless you really love to grind you might as well just keep going through the game since you'll have more efficient ways to grind later on.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been doing zero grinding and I've found it makes the boss fights challenging in an exciting way, and perfectly doable; at worst I wipe once and reconfigure my team setup to counter what they do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like the mob levels wrt the underdog bonus are overtuned; I don't grind, I just fight whatever gets in my way as I'm going from one point to the next. And the difficulty curve in playing this way seems fine to me (and this is on hard mode, too) but I am perpetually getting that underdog bonus even when it seems I'm at just the right level for enemies in the area.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

raditts posted:

What was the boss everyone was talking about that some reviewer was saying was too difficult, by the way?

In the red mage fight there's also a monster immune to physical attacks but I was able to immediately nuke it down with beastmaster captures. The idea that killing it would take an hour like that reviewer said, is absurd.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

Sounds like I need to give Team Godspeed a run and roll with like 3 thiefs or thief subs with a whm/brd and just explode a boss in one round.

Edit: How's Ranger in this? I'm getting ready to head to her obviously telegraphed dungeon and am looking for something to class change my thief primary to now that thf is maxed. RNG/THF sounds like it'll still be pretty rad and able to turbo explode single targets.

Ranger is pretty good and has a passive ability to dodge physical counters so if nothing else you absolutely wanna level it for that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

I'm just slowing going through Ch. 1 - would it be legitimate to use the JP Orbs from boating to boost my Freelancer to get the JP Up skills or are the Orbs too valuable for other Jobs?

You get so many orbs over the course of the game so there's no reason not to orb up immediately.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

BD1 had some really weird stuff with the Red Mage didn’t it

Yeah he was basically committing mass date rape.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like how the late game optional fights have a lot of bosses that counter ability use by gaining BP. At that point it's like, you gotta play like they have full BP each time their turn comes up and plan around being able to survive that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Deki posted:

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit but as someone who didn't play the previous two games, the fact that this isn't labelled as a FF game while blatantly being an FF game upsets me slightly

The series technically did start out as a FF spinoff (Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Before you get the passive to eliminate the dual wield penalties, dual wielding is mainly useful if you have weapons that have passive bonuses that you really want.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

FZeroRacer posted:

I thought the encounter design was awful because I was playing on Hard Mode, so I was far under level for most areas (I think around 10 or so levels?) but still destroying bosses and regular enemies. So most of the time was spent trying to run away from enemies on the field because I didn't want (nor need to) fight them/grind and a lot of areas are small, thin corridors where you can get forced into encounters.

And as Clarste said, the game practically hands you the broken moves on a platter. Everything else I tried to do or break was just inferior to those options the game handed me.

I played on hard mode too and honestly after awhile I'd just fight enough enemies in a dungeon to get data on all of them, then break out the ward lights since it's easy to dodge 99% of enemies in a dungeon with that.

Evil Fluffy posted:

BD1 was pretty imbalanced as well. To say nothing of FF5, the game people trip over themselves to worship.

It's probably easier to find RPGs that don't have broken-as-hell combinations in them. Especially SE RPGs.

Yea FF5 has a bunch of intricate ways to break the game but also you can just, say, spam GP Toss and win every boss fight easily.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Berserker wasn't even really useless. Terrible skills, no real benefit to sub their skills into another job, but there are decent chunks of the game where a Berserker especially with 2 Handed will outdamage any other class. If I remember correctly you get some really good axes before you normally should.

Yea in the first world you can get an axe as a drop from some enemies on Crescent Island that has a chance of casting doom on hit , and not only does it have higher attack power than most weapons you can get at that point, but because it gives you the doom spell before you're expected to have it you can get a lot of use out of it as there are some bosses that are vulnerable to doom.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I played on Hard without skipping encounters (except for the final dungeon, since while they drop good loot it sure isn't worth it to fight all of them!) and cleared it in about 50 hours, although I probably would have finished under 40 hours if I didn't play a lot of B&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I quite liked my time with BD2. Didn't leave me with a lot to think about besides the intricacies of the battle system but that's more than what the average jrpg leaves me with.

Honestly if it had more post-game content I'd be pretty happy overall, I would have loved to have more boss fights and maybe a few extra dungeons that were designed with the assumption that you unlocked the extra job levels.

Srice fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 19, 2021