Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EthanSteele posted:

I'm pretty sure you had to unlock the encounter rate control thing in Second, it was pretty early but I remember thinking it was weird they removed such a useful tool and then it came back.

Slight Bravely Second spoilers but yeah, you don't unlock the encounter slider until Tiz joins your party after a few hours, it's explicitly a power only he has and you get an amusing cutscene where they give it an in game explanation that Tiz is basically a Jedi and uses the mind trick to make enemies think nobody is there.

Anyway I've already mastered the first set of jobs I gave everyone, I'm about level 15, I have the best gear you can get in the shop, and random encounters are still kicking the poo poo out of me. Count me in with the people confused that L doesn't Default, and that they changed things up from giving all the inputs at the start of battle to a turn by turn system feels bad.

Other than that the game seems fine, just this is a really disappointing demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

It really needs a turn forecast for it's combat

Okay, yeah, I got to the boss of the ruins, and not knowing when characters are going to take their turns is super frustrating, because it turns what should be a strategic battle into guessing and hoping you luck out sometimes he Defaults once, but other times it's twice, and not knowing which it is to figure out whether to provoke or Default is irritating.

That said, I'm still having fun working with class combos. Seth is currently a white mage with a monk subjob, since White Mage is only a loss of 10 attack power and Bare Knuckle Brawler passive means that combined with White Mage's MP restoration on attack, he's gaining almost 40 MP every time he attacks, so it's easy to keep him topped off. Black Mage seems like it really wants that 20% less MP passive from White Mage, and everyone enjoys the 25% chance to gain a BP when they're attacked from Monk, but especially Vanguard since it can Provoke.

And 16 seems to be the magic number for the first part of the game, since as soon as I hit that enemies started running away from me and even the wasps became no big deal.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Jackard posted:

Well I thought I was prepared with a well-rounded party but he just turned out to be a really slow fight that I ended up losing because I couldn't tell how long my provoke lasted or really any other information on the boss beyond his hit points and weaknesses.

Also he kept straight up ignoring my Provokes.

This is the biggest problem I've had with the boss (I still haven't beaten it, tried once and did poorly). It seemed like maybe Blind would be useful, but without knowing when his turns were it was hard to time it when it would be useful, and it also seemed like it never lasted more than one turn and it was usually wasted with the boss Defaulting so much anyway.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

precision posted:

Yeah I think this is basically like a playable Alpha

That might explain why they're being so vague about the release date.

Beat the ruins boss last night, turns out Poison was the big help since it never wore off after the initial cast. Blind seemed to almost never land and never last more than a single turn, which sucks when half his turns are Defaulting anyway.

So now time to try to fight that Sandworm, although I'm grinding out a few job levels now as well as money, since the shop has a bunch of new items.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Sandworm and Wood Golem down, used the same team and mostly the same strategy for both.

Seth - White Mage main, Thief sub, Bare Knuckle Brawler/Crit Boost/Revenge
Gloria - Black Mage main, White Mage sub, Uncanny Economy/Revenge
Adelle - Vanguard main, Freelancer sub, Crit Boost/Revenge/Further Favor
Elvis - Black Mage main, Thief sub, Uncanny Economy/Revenge

The strategy is similar but there were some differences. For both, Gloria inflicts Poison at the start of battle, since it never seems to wear off. After that, on Sandworm, her and Seth start casting Protect on everyone when they need it, and Cura when someone takes damage. If everyone is protected and at full HP (and Sandworm isn't Defaulting) then Gloria can sneak in a Blizzara, but it was pretty rare. Seth uses Steal Sword on Sandworm, then regular attacks on Sandworm to keep his MP up if nobody needs healing or Protect, since he gains between 20 and 80 MP depending on how hard his fists hit, and uses his Special when it's up.

Adelle mostly just Defaults a bunch and then spends all her BP to use Lucky Charm on Gloria and Elvis, maybe once in a while she could try to inflict Blind on the Sandworm but the hit rate sucks and it never lasts more than a turn or two, she's mostly there to draw attacks and keep MP topped off, and sometimes use the defense down abilities if she has free time. Elvis uses Steal Spirit and spams Blizzara as much as he can.

For Wood Golem it was similar, but his defense was too high for Seth's fists to deal much damage, so he took on a purely defensive/support role for this battle and was an Ether bot to help out Adelle. Especially since Stonega, even under Steal Spirit, will generally OHKO anyone if he single targets it. I also didn't bother with Protect at all this battle (except to get rid of defense down on Adelle) since his physicals could OHKO anyone besides Adelle anyway, and Steal Sword didn't help much either.

In both fights I defaulted when the enemy did, since that usually was a sign they were about to take multiple turns and I needed the defense boost.

Not really fun and it took a while for the team to work (Sandworm took about five or six tries, Wood Golem took two), but I blame the higher enemy difficulty for that. Although yeah, doing these fights really made me wish for some sort of turn order indicator because it's really difficult to plan ahead when you don't know who's going next.