Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Harrow posted:

That sandworm owned the hell out of me. I thought I'd prepared so well and I couldn't even get it to half HP :negative:

I'm having troubles with this guy too. Anyone beat him yet? If so, any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the right balance of offense and defense to fight him normally, but honestly it feels like the safest strat might be to run four vanguards, one with a black mage sub and the rest subbing white mage, get poison to stick, and then just sandbag until the worm dies. Obviously this would be incredibly unfun, though.

I ended up beating him. I made three Black Mage/Thieves and one Black Mage/Vanguard. Equip everyone with two ice rods. Have the thieves use steal spirit and the vanguard use shell split. Next turn everyone casts four blizzagas It was surprisingly easy once I had a good strat. Turns out there's an even harder enemy after the Sandworm. A wooden golem, he just spawns in a little forested area far north of the town. There's no quest or anything for him. A similar strat worked for that guy too. Three BM/T and one Vanguard/Monk. Have the thieves steal his BP every turn or just default if he's already at -3. Once everyone has full BP have all the thieves use steal spirit four times (they stack) and the vanguard shell split once, and firebird twice. Next turn all the mages cast fira four times. Should put him down without ever getting an action. Fighting defensively seemed to be a losing proposition. Just blitzing the hell out of everything with as much damage as possible seems to work much better.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 30, 2020

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

fadam posted:

Was there a Forage command in the first two games? If there's a way to sell items it seems insane in this. I'm headed back to town after doing the first dungeon and I'm rolling in items.

I'm pretty sure forage wasn't a thing in the other games. And yes, it's pretty bonkers, at least in the early game. I guess we'll have to see if you start finding more valuable loot in higher level areas. If you do, money sure won't be a problem.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

PageMaster posted:

What are your early game damage dealers?

Caidin posted:

If you're the sort of person that likes to max out freelancer right away, Body Blow does nearly 1k around level 12 for the reasonable cost of 1 bp.

It's a really good skill. It doesn't seem to proc any enemy counters, so it's great for stuff like the Thief boss. It also seems to do consistent damage even on enemies with high defense. There's a fight in Wiswald that you're supposed to lose. A big guy in armor that looks like a castle. In the middle of the fight it suddenly triggered a cutscene, where the party complains about not being able to hit him and runs away. I was having no problem whatsoever. I would have handily beaten him if the game had let me.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Due to chronic lack of time I'm still really early in the game having just rescued Gloria. I've already decided to grind out Freelancer on everyone while Sir Sloan is still with the party, but should I also grind out the first job sets (Black Mage/White Mage/Vanguard/?) on at least one character? I assume I'll want those maxed out at some point, but I'm not sure how much opportunity there is to do that before I'll want to grind out the next set of jobs.

Playing on normal I maxed freelancer first, and didn't have to do any grinding. I just leveled them up going through the story. It's easy enough that a team of freelancers can handle anything in the early game. Just make liberal use of forage to stock up on attack items for bosses.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Shingouryu posted:

I just beat the (chapter 4 spoilers) shadow/ninja asterisk boss and am very proud of myself.

I just finished that fight myself. My solution wasn't as elegant as yours though. I used a dual shield Shieldmaster/Vanguard to tank hits and give BP to my attacking Vanguard/Berzerker. The attacker missed a fair amount, but when she did hit Level Strike did 7000 damage. If I did three Level Strikes a turn at least one of them would hit, often two or three. Counter-Savvy from Ranger took care of the boss's counter attacks.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'll always try bosses the first time with whatever bizarre job configuration I've been using for leveling in a dungeon and if I lose I'll actually go through the trouble of giving my characters proper builds.

I do the same, except it's usually enough to just respec one of my guys into a Shield master/Vanguard tank. With that, pretty much any random mishmash of other classes can get the job done.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Feeling a bit underpowered - I get my rear end kicked pretty easily by trash mobs in the Mag Melle dungeon. Any adjustments I can make?

If you wanna feel overpowered, make someone a Phantom/Salve-Maker. The second ability for Phantom makes your status attacks have 100% accuracy. Anything not immune to paralysis can be completely locked down. It totally invalidates most things in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Monk and Freelancer were also staples for me, lots of people got a lot of mileage out of Berserker (and I got a ton of mileage out of its passives), and Swordmaster more or less replaced Thief for me as the physical damage dealer,

Same here, I think I only ended up using GS a couple of times. I got a lot of mileage out of body slam and pressure point early on. Later I gave my physical attackers Berserker as a sub-class and that carried me for most of the game.