Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I loved BD but fizzled out real quick on bravely second

Same, but then a few years later I went back to it and loved it. Not jumping into it right after BD makes a huge difference just because the dungeon retreads aren't near as painful, and without that issue it was really excellent.

Anyway, I really hope this game turns out good. I'm excited for some confusing meta nonsense and a fun easily broken JRPG. Really hope that once we get past the traditional rpg jobs it's not a full retread of the BD ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Araxxor posted:

Yeah, wonder why they chose individual queuing over round queuing for BD2, but by the time the demo came out, the balance of the mechanics and full game was likely too set in stone to really change it back to round queuing. A turn order indicator is probably the best they could really do at this point. Glad they implemented that at least.

I'm more confused about why they want to keep the turn order hidden, even if the protags have atb bars now. Other rpgs with similar turn systems like FFX or the Trails games are really transparent about the turn order and who is coming up next but even with the changes they only show that the enemy's turn is coming up right before they attack. The Director talked about wanting to keep some information hidden for difficulty and to keep things exciting or whatever but it's a strange choice.

Hope they do another demo before release. I think Octopath did the same after they made some changes and i'd like to experience the updates first hand, though stuff like the menus and overworld definitely look way improved just from the trailer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Corralling enemies into corners to link them (since the link distance is so small) is honestly really stupid. I hate it! It's even worse when you're trying to do it with lure food because they stop caring so fast and if you go back to re-get them the others are already walking away and bleh.

It genuinely might as well not even be a mechanic.

I'm just not bothering and I think it's the best way to approach things.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Just finished what I assume were the end of chapter 1 bosses and after a bunch of lame asterisk fights I thought these were actually really solid. There was even some fun uses of counters!

I can’t remember if Bernard had the same gimmick in the demo of stealing bp whenever you default but it was pretty successful at forcing me to change strategies and it wasn’t anywhere near as frustrating as like the Barf countering white magic with putting your healer to sleep. It also helps that the fight seemed to be built around the idea you’d be at a bp disadvantage since his damage and health was only average. The next fight was a lot simpler but I had to use a lot of tricks to stay on top of the incoming damage and unlike previous fights it felt appropriate that I had to have a character focus entirely on healing.

Hope future bosses are more like this because after Shirley I was beginning to think the asterisk fights kinda sucked.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm only in chapter 2 but the Gambler fight was definitely the worst fight so far.

It's real bad.

E: Like, it's not the hardest or anything. It just sucks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think Raise actually resurrects the dead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Have you seen the kind of hits that we routinely take in combat from legendarily powerful enemies? If something hits you for 5,000 damage, it probably wouldn't exactly leave much of a corpse either.

When we hit enemies for 5000 damage they seem fine a lot of the time tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Still fairly early but i'm beginning to wonder why I bothered investing in a couple of Monks when Godspeed Strike does double the damage of Pressure Point and doesn't cost any bp. This used to be an endgame skill but now i'm slinging them around in chapter 2. It doesn't feel fair.

I really enjoy how it takes way less jp to max out a class compared to the previous games, it means you get to access to a lot of the better tools much earlier though I guess the bosses are also a bit more highly tuned because of it. Man, this games kind of a weird experience. It has a lot of frustrating elements and some changes to systems that were already perfected in previous games, but in other ways it's a real step forward for the series. It's a strange feeling though i'm really enjoying my time with this game, so it's doing something right.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

multijoe posted:

drat, only in Chapter 1 and the Berserker fighter is ruining me. I'm starting to think I shouldn't have dual classed by Bard to my White Mage because it's buff OR heal and the incoming damage is so eye-wateringly high I really wish I was doing both, especially as Black Mage seems to be an active liability in the fight. What tricks did people use to get around him? I've already figured I can dispel his berserk with Freelancer but he still keeps wearing my party down faster than I can keep them alive, especially as my main source of damage is currently through Monk spend HP attacks which nearly always seems to end with her being AoE'd down at the worst times.

If you've got a Vanguard with enrage use that to draw aggro away from the rest of the party. With a defense buff up a Vanguard should be able to survive one or two blows and give your healers time to keep on top of the damage.

And if you've got it you might want to go with Pressure Point for the Monk. It costs an extra bp but no health so the monk won't be as likely to die to a stray aoe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Bard/White Mage. Cura heals so much that with a full brave chain I can usually heal everyone to full and still throw out a buff or two.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can't believe anyone actually kept up with cutting grass beyond the first time you get like a 60g drop and realise it's not worth it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The boat kicks rear end. Getting a bunch of free jp for putting the Switch to sleep is very good.

E: It should be a menu option though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I’m about to start this game (Persona Strikers distracted me)

I’m a big big BD1 fan, but was a bit disappointed with the battle system in the demo - how are people finding it in the full game

I'm liking it a lot more than the demo. I think the battle system is really strong honestly and in ways I think it's got a more fun early game than BD and BS because every job seems pretty strong and you get new skills ways faster than the previous games.

There's definitely some frustrating elements with some bosses but the core gameplay loop is way good imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Then you put everyone in Berseker and spam crescent slash each encounter!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I did some grinding in Bernard's mansion early chapter 2 to get JP Up for everybody and it seemed ok. It only has humanoid enemies on the first floor so if you have the right bait it's easy to get chains.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Place your Orpheus card first and drop it in a corner because it'll weaken a few of hers and if she can't flank it I don't think her ai will try to clear it. I also remember running Bard at the time and though I can't remember if it's effect actually came into play I think it helps.

Also drop Gambler or Shirley from your deck if you're using them because they're bad cards.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big disagree about Black Mage being sub to Red Mage. Red Mage's magic attack is just so average, it's got great spells and abilities but Black Mage does like double the damage. Definitely prefer having Red Mage sub to Black Mage instead, the better stats and S rank Staffs are just such a huge difference.

Also, Berserker is great for random encounters. I don't think it's reliable enough for boss fights but Level Slash is an amazing physical aoe and Fury + Free For All can pretty much delete any random enemy i've encountered for the cost of like 15 mp. They rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am like 300 jp away from level 12 so perhaps it was too early for me to write it off. I had no idea Chainspell was so close. I figured it’d be from an endgame job.