Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i don't know what adelle's accent is but i do know that i'm going to marry her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So I finished the demo and the optional boss. I didn't have much trouble with it and enjoyed it except for the art style, I hate how the characters look.

My question, I've never played the other ones: Does strategy in these games end up devolving into needing to make a specific strategy to cheese some bosses? Like to beat the sandworm I had to spam bp steal and then do a bunch brave a bunch of magic defense reducing abilities and then a bunch of blizzard. But that was honestly pretty tedious and not that fun compared to the more improvisational combat I was doing for the other boss and regular encounters

they've said that the combat difficulty in the demo is a little overtuned, but a lot of the fun in these games comes from finding ways to break them over your knee with specific job and ability combinations. for example, in the previous games you could give everyone in your party a passive that would give them bp whenever they were hit with a status effect, then have one character dedicated to spamming status spells on the party to generate a ton of bp every turn for the rest of the party to spam. it isn't usually necessary until late/postgame though.

but yeah if that sort of thing doesn't appeal to you then you might wanna pass on this one.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i've been wondering, do beastmaster monster skills actually scale with your stats? because it feels like they don't.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
i'm at the presumably final dungeon in ch4 and my main complaints are the lack of a quest log, dungeons sometimes feeling too big and meandering, and that there's no summoner job because the summons in bd1/bs were rad as hell.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
okay i beat the (ch6 spoilers) bard/beast/gambler/thief trial without much difficulty but the white mage/vanguard/ranger/red mage trial fight is just loving ridiculous. i'm just gonna say it, counters are a stupid mechanic and the endgame challenge fights in bd1 were infinitely better than this. i might just turn it down to easy because there's nothing fun or engaging about "lol the bosses get free bp every time you do literally anything".

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I just beat the final boss and that sucked lol. What a complete let down of a finale, I'm super bummed out by the Bravely Team. :smith:

Boss fight:
I made four bravebearers with freelance subclassed and used the artist 'bp skills cost 0 to use' ability and Nexus got literally no turns. Not a single one. I just held down brave and it died thanks to true grit and natural speed getting me out of -3 easily. Does it have cool attacks? I have no idea! Then when it died it just kinda farts and vanishes with no fanfare and that just sucked rear end.

Ending:
So who was the Nights Nexus, just some girl who got huge brained in a library I guess? Fount of Memories got mentioned as it wants the biggest brain in the universe but there's literally nothing else going on with it. It turned Edna into a statue so that's a thing it can do? Also who is Seth? You literally never find out where he came from originally or his accent or why he's 'the one they need' or whatever. They explain loving nothing about him and he just shows up back on shore with a smiling emoji and it ends. There's no main menu or title screen gimmick, no weird ringabel multiverse ship thing, nothing.
I can appreciate that it wants to be it's own thing but with how meta the first 3 games got having *nothing* just sucks rear end. Seth and Gloria are just the worst.

I still liked the game but man it's a massive step back narrative wise, I'm actually really bummed out by that.

also agree with pretty much everything here. like i know it would've been kinda lame if they'd just pulled the same twists as bd1 but the solution to that is absolutely not to just play every single trope completely straight.

i'm kinda wondering how much actual staff overlap there was between the first two games and bd2 because it feels like the work of an entirely different team that took literally zero notes from the previous team.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
oh my god i found the quest log. go into the travelogue and press x. it doesn't tell you about any quests you might've missed, but at least you can switch the active objectives.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
magic is bad because they dropped the wizard job.

also i was bashing my head against the (ch6 spoilers) salvemaker/swordmaster/shieldmaster fight and eventually just turned the game off because the game has officially stopped being fun. good game right up until the end where all of the flaws become overwhelmingly apparent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Rascyc posted:

There's a somewhat silly gimmick to that fight. A small tip:

shield bro is vulnerable to sleep

galahd is far and away the least annoying part of that fight though. glenn can, at any time, spend two or three three bp spamming the contagion bomb to instantly kill my shieldmaster and leave the rest of the party near death, at which point gladys finishes them off.

like, yeah, i could grind out phantom on my salvemaker and do the cheesy thing, but at that point what does the game have left? i'm just gonna drop it altogether because i've wrung all the fun out of it by this point.