Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Your Computer posted:

yeah, it gave you complete control over the encounter rate - you could turn it down, turn it off, even turn it way up if you wanted. You also had control over exp gain, job point gain and money gain which let you grind exactly as much or as little as you wanted. It was genuinely the best implementation possible in my opinion, and then we never saw it again :rip:

Not only is the encounter rate not back, apparently now exp and jp gains are tied to your difficulty setting so you get more on easy mode and less on hard, so not only are those sliders gone they forcibly condensed them into the difficulty modes :confused:

Overall any reviewer that says it's more of the same really feels like they're looking for completely different things because every change they've made so far compared to BD and BS just feels like a weird downgrade; I wish it was more of the same but it really doesn't feel like it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

They are????? As in all bosses? Status effects have historically never been useful on bosses because JRPGs train you to expect every boss to resist all status effects. I’m surprised this game is an exception.

JRPGs in general maybe, but Bravely has always had its bosses very susceptible to status effects and you are very much rewarded for using them; in BD1 outside of the final bosses and a very select few others, nothing resists most status effects, it's incredibly easy to lock down almost every single boss fight in the game, including late-game rematch bullshit, with a combination of poison and paralysis.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

Finishing up the game, and it’s finally doing something interesting. :siren:Super, super loving huge ending spoilers::siren: I just finished translating the book, and now there’s a really creepy and weird-looking save file option in the save menu. Hell yeah, this is the good poo poo. :getin: I’m gonna try loading it and seeing what happens.

Edit: Aw, you can’t load it. You can save to it, though, and that’s still legit cool - advancing the plot and unlocking the next chapter by interacting with the save menu in an unusual fashion is a great example of being weird and providing potential for mystery and discovery that’s essential to making Bravely Default work. Hopefully it keeps this up, but I’m still sad that it took 70 hours for the first instance of it to happen. :(

you can actually translate the save file itself as well using the letters you've obtained from the Asterisks, and it shows who was in the save file

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

Pollyanna posted:

God, the more I think about BD2's story, the more I'm disappointed. I could write an absolute shitload of words, but I dunno if anyone else is interested in talking about it. :v:

Do it, there's a lot of problems I have with the story and the game's structure in general and definitely would want to hear some other thoughts on them.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

I rarely grinded and not being able to just turn off encounters and get to point a to point b without having to faff about trying to dodge bullshit running away from you directly into critical chokepoints or poo poo running at you at mac speed was annoying as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

berenzen posted:

Phantom/Salvemaker with rewarding results and enough MP regeneration to generate 40 mp a turn give you the ability to inflict drat near every status effect that the boss is weak to (except for daub, sadly). Also a stupidly good healer with cheap and easy access to the elixir and half-elixir mixes. Cash intensive.
Swordmaster/Beastmaster (with enough captures), swordmaster/freelancer (with enough mastered jobs) or swordmaster/Berserker with dual wield, multitask, BP limit up, indescriminate rage + Full Force (for trash) or who dares wins + critical flow (for bosses). Auto attacking machine with Solid Stance + 3 attacks.
Phantom/Pictomancer- Daub applier, no other real reason for existance, but it's basically a 50% damage boost to your characters.
Shieldmaster/Vanguard- Dual shields, heavy armor, high targetting chance, and with decent equipment you can get basically invulnerable to all magical elements. Get the rest of your party to critical and just have the character tank literally every hit and donate the bp they generate with BP saver.

If you want Daub, there's an axe that sets it as a secondary effect you can equip mid-battle, attack with once, and then unequip again to set it.