Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gyoru posted:

Just made it to Chapter 4 with about 25 hours clocked on Hard. I was apprehensive of the story's pacing, but things started to pick up in Chapter 3.

Some of the more useful job passives so far:
(Beastmaster) MP Saver - Reduces MP costs by 20%. Stacks with other sources of MP reducing equipment.
(Beastmaster) Raw Power - Increases physical damage by 10% per action. Max Braving will skyrocket your final attack's damage.
(Gambler) Rare Talent - Rare item drop rate up by 10%. Stacks with each party member.
(Red Mage) Revenge - 25% chance of gaining 1 BP when attacked
(Pictomancer) Sub-Job BP Saver - Reduces BP cost of active sub-job abilities by 1. Great for spamming Monk's Pressure Point (boss killer) or Berserker's Crescent Moon (trash clearer)
(Swordmaster) 2 Hands Are Better Than 1 - FF's Doublehand. Stats of your main hand weapon is increased by 1.4x. Your character's combat stance changes too, which is a nice touch.
(Spiritmaster) Sub-Job Specialty 1 - Your sub-job's 1st specialty is unlocked.

Wow some of these look so fun. Excited to unlock some weird combos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m about to start this game (Persona Strikers distracted me)

I’m a big big BD1 fan, but was a bit disappointed with the battle system in the demo - how are people finding it in the full game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I find it oddly relaxing to around forage x 4 while my guest kills everything. I should probably advance the story

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m very early on still but I really like this game. I love job systems

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am really liking this game. The reviews put me off initially but it turns out it is another turn based job heavy JRPG and nobody wants to play those anymore

I do think it’s kinda dumb that I can’t abandon side quests. I was accepting a bunch of quests and thinking why can I only see the old ones still

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well got my first game over at the Beastmaster.

I thought I was doing pretty well, then she dropped down to low HP and started mass countering every single ability and blind/silencing everyone.

Oh I should probably equip a blind-proof accessory huh I think I got some of those

SKULL.GIF posted:

If you go into the travelogue you can "abandon" the quests you don't want to track anymore and track new quests. It's very, very clunky and limited but it's there.

This is a solid game but desperately needed so many QOL stuff.

Oh my god thank you it was driving me crazy

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 9, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man these boss fights are great. I’ve never had to grind, when I lose a battle I tweak my party a bit and learn from the battle and clear it with a different setup.

Except gambler which seems to just be “if she gets 3 lucky rolls in a row you lost”

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man there are so many jobs in this game I already completely forgot beastmaster was a thing and I was so excited to use them

Also, I got my thief to level 9, and Godspeed Strike feels like someone left it in by mistake. Why does this do like 5x more damage than everything else I have then it does it again. I like figuring out game winning combos in these games but this just feels like a win button

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ooh I started mastering jobs and they get a second passive!

Nice way to balance switching and leveling vs having to use the second passive for a tough fight.

I’m currently gonna try making my Healer a beastmaster/whm so she’s actually doing something in random battles instead of just watching. I got a spear that gives decent restorative power so let’s see.

Others so far are RDM/BLM who has bard mastered, Vanguard/Berserker, and Thief/Monk but the last 2 are starting to master both classes and will have to decide what else they do next

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

stev posted:

I'm starting to feel like I'm missing something with RDM/BLM. My Seth tank can smash the poo poo out of groups while beasting through attacks, Gloria is a support/healing goddess and Adelle singlehandedly deals out more damage than the rest of the team combined with her speed and broken thief/monk skills.

Magic dad Elvis meanwhile can dish out ok-ish damage, at the cost of half his MP bar each turn. I barely use him in boss fights because they all either counter magic or his attacks barely scratch them.

What chapter are you in? I'm at the end of 2 and I feel similarly. I've actually flat out done RDM/Bard in a lot of fights because I found the buffs to other members more useful than having a couple of extra elements to hit with, but you do lose poison which actually works on most asterisk holders so far.

I assume once you master either one of the classes and get their passives it makes up for a lot of that. I find RDM just really useful as the do-everything party member but the physical damage dealers do much much more. I know it's unfair to count Godspeed Strike but 1 turn and 100 mana for ~5k vs. 1 turn and 40 mana for a fira that doesn't crack 1k is not a great feeling. Magic can target all but at this point so can a berserker

John Wick of Dogs posted:

During my grind to get everyone to 12 on all the jobs I had so far (up to chapter 3 start, just salve maker from that chapter), I basically had adelle being a speed goddess with animal affinity and indescriminate rage equipped so I was catching 30% of the random trash I killed

How does that work anyway? I unlocked it but the "next turn comes slower" sounds kind of bad. Does the next turn come slower only if you use a standard attack?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So I unlocked a job that has Sub Job BP Saver

I haven't gotten the skill yet but... this means 1BP skills are free? Aren't there 1 BP skills that give your party members BP? Also 1BP Skills that do loads of damage?

This seems really good

I'm in Chapter 3 at the moment and really enjoying how it feels my job combos are clicking but there is a LOT of dungeons and combat. Like if you do not want to actively engage in difficult JRPG combat do not play this game. I take a lot of breaks

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If I’m in chapter 3 is it too early to grind?

If not what’s the best place to go? I read earlier some rare monster fights are good?

I have lots of jobs now and wanna do some combo stuff

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Something feels tonally strange about how loving awful the villains are in most of the earlier chapters (and maybe latter ones too, but I'm only at Chapter 4). Like the bad guys do stuff that is disturbingly brutal in a way that sort of clashes with a lot of the rest of the game's tone.

Like in chapter 3 Gladys is not even remotely a sympathetic figure; she's basically like a Sonderkommando except arguably worse.

Granted, BD1 also had some weirdness with various Asterisk bosses being awful pieces of poo poo and then suddenly being good during the loops, but I don't remember much on the level of "pile of corpses who a little girl slit the throats of to make red paint" (except for maybe the forest village stuff with the fairies).

BD1 had some really weird stuff with the Red Mage didn’t it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been grinding Leanan Sithe or whatever it's called because it's way way way less effort. You get 200 JP for a monster you can kill in a turn (I'm level 30) so I just run in and out doing that. I'm at Ch 3 and I don't have to grind at all I've just unlocked a bunch of stuff I've been ignoring and I wanted to catch up

All the Specialty 2 abilities are so good but I feel like it's such a waste to not be gaining JP on something else, I made Gloria the "Healer/Support" and she's already maxed White Mage, Freelancer, Salvemaker, Beastmaster and I'm just running out of things I could concievably use on a healer because I can never take WHM off of her

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Communist Thoughts posted:

i got godspeed strike and it kinda broke the game balance and i havent played since, its making everything trivial

If it makes you feel better i heard the game eventually catches up to that balance and expects you to use the broken stuff. I currently spam Pressure Point which breaks default and does almost as much damage as a godspeed strike for 0 MP but I still had some tough boss battles, especially when they do stuff like counter your broken poo poo with other broken poo poo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I’m beginning to think there are no good combos in Chapter 1.

Barehanded thief is real good

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I honestly like the entire series (ABout 20 hours into BD2, finished the other 2) but they are definitely not like... the top RPGs of all time or anything. I really like FF5 and these are the closest modern thing to FF5 so I play them.

Actually I haven't played Octopath Traveler yet; would people put that above or below BD2 strictly from a "Is like FF5" point of view

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have the passive that makes your attack affect all from Berserker, the one that makes your AOE attacks stronger from Dragoon, and the dual handed one from Swordmaster

Every random battle is now Swordmaster Attack Stance > Attack everything 6 times in a row and it’s very good so far

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rascyc posted:

Yup this was my trash clearing method of choice for most of the game. Some bonus points:

Counter savvy to avoid counters, mug and thief skills to steal everything or beast master capture if that's your jam. If you just want to slay then grab the obvious passives from BM.

Yeah I figured I could make it even better but I have either one or both JP up passives on my characters. I especially like the idea of the Beastmaster capture one though, Seth is soloing the entire dungeon might as well get some monsters out of it

Now that I've finished Chapter 3 the jobs in here are really obvious "next steps" for a bunch of the starting ones - it's really clear that your magic attacker should take one of these and your healer should take the other, plus the general attacking one just seems good all around.

I am losing my way a bit with Adelle though - She's been sub Monk all game and leveling different jobs while she spams free Pressure Points with barehanded but it feels like barehanded isn't catching up as well as it should anymore? Some strong combos that I already maxed out

I gave her Pictomancer's skill for reducing BP costs so /Monk gives free pressure points which are currently awesome
Thief/Monk is pretty crazy
Beastmaster/Monk is actually just busted, the passive 2 bonus makes punching hit so hard and Beastmaster just does everything well
I think Dragoon/Monk could be ok

I think it's time to just give her the 2 handed skill and start using weapons? Or can you stay barehanded all game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh man the chapter 4 fights are starting to get hard. Might be because the tanky guy counters for 2000 every single time I hit him

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Midway through Chapter 4 and the fights are actually really tough! Even though I did some JP grinding I am taking off JP Up and tweaking my teams and realizing I need to go get some more passives - the avoid counters one is way too useful to not have on every attacker

I just beat phantom using 2 bastions

And did not realize that the second class I mentioned is both good at healing and tanking. They have higher restorative power than a white mage, can use staves, and yet my other one was doing more damage with their spear to the boss than my dedicated physical attacker

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Personally most of the challenge has come from me trying to beat the bosses while also getting all that JP. Every boss I was stuck on I’m sure I could have used my mastered classes to get through easily but gotta be earning JP forever

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m in chapter 5 and looking up some stuff and

Is Chapter 6 technically the “post game?” I did not realize the game was coming to a potential end this fast. I also really wanna save my endgame grinding for when I can take jobs above 15

But I don’t feel like I have any crazy combos during fights still or crazy BP battery stuff yet

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’m in the main chapter 5 dungeon and my main advice is to stop trying to grind jobs in this dungeon and just equip all your broken combos now these bosses are assholes and don’t give that much JP

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ramc posted:

I finally got through the game for real. Good game, would recommend.

I like it a lot so far (currently in Ch 6). A friend was pointing out of the reviews being in the 70s which is usually terrible and I think it's definitely not a JRPG for everyone but if you're really into JRPG combat systems and especially job combos you'll have a good time. Story is cute and I actually really like the dumb accents

There are definitely downsides, if you're paying $60 for this vs. say... Dragon Quest 11 or Persona 5 there's a clear gulf between the games, I get it. But I'm having fun

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Basically I think of this game as a 3DS game in 2021 and it works out really well as that, don't compare this game to AAA square enix titles

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

It’s been almost a decade since the 3DS released, though. We definitely should have gotten a little further than this...

That's very fair! There are loads of things I think this game could've done better. It does feel like a budget release and yet it's the same price at launch as like... FF7 Remake and I can get how people would look at that and be like something is wrong here.

I think the "average" review being in the 70s is probably taking that all into account which I get. But to me, someone who has played FF5 and FF Tactics 3+ times each, any game where I can mix and match jobs and make fun combos is already pretty cool, and JRPGs that focus on combat are not widespread.

I think this is the kind of game that will be popular with a very specific group of JRPG fans, and JRPG fans are already a very specific group of people. I'm really enjoying it but I would not blindly recommend it even to friends who play lots of JRPGs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

What’s the best way to go around doing things in Chapter 6? Like I know there’s cutscenes and portals and ways to grind and dunno if there’s a best way to do all this

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also for some reason I can’t find the NPC for quest 100 for the growth eggs

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think she appears until Chapter 7.

Oh no I thought I was at the part where I finally start grinding to get stronger

I tried the ch 6 dungeon and it’s doable but still a bit hard. I’ll do the other growth egg quest and maybe grind some JP

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Man these portal battles are hard but fun.

I left Gambler alive for last thinking she’s kinda useless and she KOd my party from almost full with some lucky wheel rolls

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I admit for a good chunk of the game I was expecting the game to do a flip and reveal we were the baddies all along and Dag, Selene, Bernard etc. were all good guys that made some bad decisions and had some bad PR.

Wasn't that a biiit of the twist in either BD1 or BRavely Second? I remember you go into an alternate timeline where personalities are different

I distinctly remember in BD1 by the time you get to like... Chapter 7 everyone's happy and fun and doing weird stuff during battles

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Some of them are definitely easier than others.

(all spoilers for end/postgame) The Thief, Beastmaster, Bard, Gambler one is one of the easiest, and the Beastmaster's spear is insanely useful for a healer or buffer. That said, if you can crack it, the Phantom, Hellblade, Monk gate is the most important to farm because of the Hellblade sword being completely bonkers good.

Consider taking time out to unseal your bloody shields, too because the result makes your tank nigh-to-invincible.

I did the easiest one, struggled a LOT to beat it, and jumped straight to White Mage, Vanguard, Red Mage, Hunter One and boy is it kicking my rear end

How the hell am I supposed to counter the enemy getting BP every time I do an ability? I feel like I'm really missing something here, I was hoping to get those jobs to 15 before I got into the end of the game but I'll have to settle with having 1 useful job unlocked

I got the Thief Knife which is now by far the best weapon I have even if the passives are not the greatest ever. I think I might go back and just farm that fight for drops for a bit

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LiefKatano posted:

Level 12 Phantom + Salvemaker does a lot to ease the suffering, because the bosses tend to be very, very susceptible to disables.

It's really boring as a result, but hey!

...I did not think of this

Well another reason to level another job to 12! That's what growth eggs and giant JP orbs are for

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

LiefKatano posted:

Level 12 Phantom + Salvemaker does a lot to ease the suffering, because the bosses tend to be very, very susceptible to disables.

It's really boring as a result, but hey!

Thank you for this. I have destroyed the game in half as a result lol

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sword master level 12 dual wielding gets the bonus from Freelancers or Beastmasters to all stats

I have unlocked the final skills for the class and Adelle does more damage than the rest of my party combined now by doing that skill, mimicking it 3 times for free casts, with the massive Freelancer stat boosts since she maxed a bunch of classes

Vanguard hits surprisingly hard with 2 handed as well, their level 12 passive gives them a LOT of attack and Neo Cross Slash can easily do more than 9999 with its 2 hits on a pretty tanky class to boot

I should probably beat chapter 6 now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

raditts posted:

I think the encounter design is one of the few things that is unambiguously superior in BD2. When you need to have a game setting to decrease or remove enemy encounter rate, that seems to me like a clear admission that it's a system that needs replacing. I can't think of a single situation where I would ever find myself saying "I wish this game would smash cut me into a battle sequence against my will more frequently"

I'd argue that Ninefold Flurry is more powerful, I used it with a swordmaster dual wield / beast sub combo on a lark was shocked at how it melted the final boss. But you don't have access to that until nearly the end of the game so GSS is your go to for the vast majority of your play time.

Ninefold Flurry is NUTS. It hits 9 times so it breaks damage cap, it hits 9 times so you're likely to crit a bunch in there (And can equip stuff like Crit Amp to hit for more), and it just does a lot of damage. I think by the end of the game Godspeed Strike was doing close to 9999 + followup but 9fold on Adelle was doing like.... 30k a hit? Plus Swordmaster level 12 passive with dual wield lets them sub Freelancer for a massive stat bonus so you can mimic the 99 MP skill 3 times and do like... 120k-150k for 99 MP

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I'm confused with my feelings on this one. While I was actively playing it I was like "drat this game is so good I love job systems why did it get 70s on metacritic" but now I'm done with it and I'm thinking about it a bit and it just didn't stick with me in a way the best JRPGs do. Even their job system which had some really fun and cool combos feels like just as you're unlocking some of the crazy poo poo you're using it to... unlock the other crazy poo poo. There's no real endgame rampup. I liked it and don't regret paying $60 for it but I'd have trouble recommending this game to a lot of people.

LiefKatano posted:

I feel like Final Fantasy V was at least more balanced insofar as the only really useless job was... what, Berserker? I feel like there's a lot more lackluster stuff here, at least in comparison to the Good Stuff.

Berserker wasn't even really useless. Terrible skills, no real benefit to sub their skills into another job, but there are decent chunks of the game where a Berserker especially with 2 Handed will outdamage any other class. If I remember correctly you get some really good axes before you normally should.

If you played FF5 on the phone with the terrible phone controls having one less character to control in battle was actually a benefit (Plus I wanna say the phone port accidentally buffed them somehow)

Tired Moritz posted:

Why do people dislike Bravely Second so much? Enough that Bravely Default 2's director had to apologize apparently?

I personally thought it was a big improvement. Really fun jobs, cool twist, an actual second half of the game that did repeat stuff but in an interesting way, not a "Do the exact same poo poo 30 times" way. I thought it was the best of the three.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Octopath is on Gamepass and I'm gonna give that a try although I understand it's very much not a FF5 clone. But Triangle Strategy looks awesome in an FF Tactics/ Tactics Ogre kind of way.

Maybe the SHAPE LONGWORD team will make a good 2D ff5 clone next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Kind of sad to see that this game has basically fallen off the radar. Not that I’m surprised, but for BD’s triumphant return, I’m sure this wasn’t what Square-Enix was expecting.

I had fun with it while I was playing it but I kind of immediately forgot about it once I had finished. I don't regret getting it at all but I'd have trouble recommending it at full price to anyone who wasn't a die-hard FF5/BD fan (and even they would find issues with it)

I've started playing Octopath since that's on gamepass and I know people had a lot of issues with it on release but that is a MUCH better classic JRPG throwback from what I'm seeing so far