Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Back when I lived in a crow area, they spent most of their time getting owned by mockingbirds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

A4R8 posted:

Corvids and can’t spread Covid, right?

I ask because crows spread the t-virus in Resident Evil: Extinction by feasting on infected corpses. Are we looking at a similar scenario, op?

Nothing to worry about! Crows are our friends.

Lychnis posted:

Is scrub jay talk okay here? They're corvids.

A pair of scrub jays lives in my small urban yard. I've been making friends with them by sitting out at the same time each day and giving them peanuts. At first, I had to toss them at least three feet away before they'd swoop down to get them, but now they'll come right up to me. Or, rather, the female will come right up to me. I call her JJ, because that's how I call out to her ("Jay, Jay!"), and I'm just very creative like that. When I talk to JJ, she makes little croaking noises back at me. Meanwhile, her mate (whom I call 'Big Blue,' 'cause he's an unusually big and chonky jay and, like I said, I am very creative) will flutter over to sit on a nearby branch of the cherry tree and watch the proceedings suspiciously.

The last couple of days, JJ has been nowhere to be seen, and I was getting worried about her. But then today, Big Blue came close to me to accept a peanut for the very first time. Usually the jays bury the peanuts, but this time Big Blue cracked it open right there in front of me, gulped down one of the nuts, and took the other one into the overgrown robinia hedge. He did the same thing with a second nut, and then a few minutes later, he emerged with JJ in tow. Big Blue then retreated up to his usual tree branch while JJ came over to croak for a couple more peanuts before she returned to the hedge.

So I guess now I know where their nest is. I wonder if JJ's laid any eggs yet. The internet tells me this is the right time of the year for that to be happening.

That’s absolutely fine! As a fellow JJ, thank you for this story.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

crowns

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 3 days!)

I get blue jays in my yard eating the birdfood I put out for them. It's amazing how quickly they figure out a hierarchy. I got a little statue of a lady holding a bowl that I put the food in and the birds organize as such:
Biggest Grackle sits in the bowl throwing food on the ground and eating the corn
Smaller Grackles eat the food on the ground that they want
Blue Jays hang around the periphery dashing in to grab a bite then dashing back out
Finches just bounce around eating the small seeds no one wants
Mourning Doves sit on the ground 10 feet away waiting for the commotion to end and picking up the scraps later

birds rule

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Actually it's pronounced "crow-vid," you moron, you absol

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Empire State posted:

Actually it's pronounced "crow-vid," you moron, you absol

Here's a crow vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbSu2PXOTOc

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Flowers are beautiful, and smell nice.
Here are some scrub jays displaying their color memory by playing the shell game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4piWGZKIH4

And here is a raven named Fable, solving puzzles and showing off how much smarter she is than scrub jays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE3f2H_5mXU

Lychnis fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 29, 2020

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1030703875412688896?s=20

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1029445551526268928?s=20

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

https://twitter.com/lindseybieda/status/1244323909354356736

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I like the one where they got a treat from the bin each time they put a cigarette butt in so the lesson they learned was to tear up the cigarette butts and get a bunch of treats

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

yeah but it's France so how do we know that crow isn't a smoker

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

I really miss the ravens in fairbanks. They were my friends.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

crow biden for prez

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Couple of fantails saying hello earlier. They are so friendly and one looked mostly black which I'd never seen before

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

crows are super loving cool

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dex_sda posted:

crows are super loving cool

:bird:

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Finally a thread about Crows!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://i.imgur.com/qH5zeTj.mp4

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Chokes McGee posted:

yeah but it's France so how do we know that crow isn't a smoker

i had to go to paris for work last summer. I stayed in a cheap motel out by de gualle, but it had a courtyard in the middle with a couple big trees. in the biggest of the trees sat some black and white corvids, magpies probably. i had never been to europe before so im just guessing.

anyway, none of them were smoking, best I could tell. they were very french and snobbish and they refused to speak to me because i could only say a few courtesy words in their mother tongue. pricks - i knew drat well they spoke english. i can only imagine what they had to say about the fat american when j went back to my room

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
My grandmother has a semi-wild pet crow that would follow her to school when she was a kid. The dream, basically.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
this video is 14 years old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2E7akTESzA

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Here's a cool article about crows recognizing human faces and telling each other about dangerous humans

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

FUN FACT! My last name is Crowe, or, as I have called it on every forum, "crow but with an e". I have no idea why that name, because my family never loving gets it's story straight. I really like my last name, and I think crows are cool even if I know very little about them.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

paul_soccer12 posted:

Bill Corvid sounds like a guys name

Reminds me of Bill Corbett, who would become one of the puppeteers behind... Crow T. Robot! Holy poo poo it's circling back to crows again

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVxEGJskhsM

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

:crow:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Lychnis posted:

Is scrub jay talk okay here? They're corvids.

A pair of scrub jays lives in my small urban yard. I've been making friends with them by sitting out at the same time each day and giving them peanuts. At first, I had to toss them at least three feet away before they'd swoop down to get them, but now they'll come right up to me. Or, rather, the female will come right up to me. I call her JJ, because that's how I call out to her ("Jay, Jay!"), and I'm just very creative like that. When I talk to JJ, she makes little croaking noises back at me. Meanwhile, her mate (whom I call 'Big Blue,' 'cause he's an unusually big and chonky jay and, like I said, I am very creative) will flutter over to sit on a nearby branch of the cherry tree and watch the proceedings suspiciously.

The last couple of days, JJ has been nowhere to be seen, and I was getting worried about her. But then today, Big Blue came close to me to accept a peanut for the very first time. Usually the jays bury the peanuts, but this time Big Blue cracked it open right there in front of me, gulped down one of the nuts, and took the other one into the overgrown robinia hedge. He did the same thing with a second nut, and then a few minutes later, he emerged with JJ in tow. Big Blue then retreated up to his usual tree branch while JJ came over to croak for a couple more peanuts before she returned to the hedge.

So I guess now I know where their nest is. I wonder if JJ's laid any eggs yet. The internet tells me this is the right time of the year for that to be happening.

I live in Florida and was loving green with envy about how many people itt seem to be just chilling with scrub jays and thinking nothing of it when they're so rare... turns out there is more than one type of scrub jay, and only ours are a conservation concern! Still jealous, but it's a good thing there are some subtypes of the little guys out there who are doing okay.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Excellent thread.

Good corvid-related people:

https://twitter.com/kris0723/status/1244908428360704000

https://twitter.com/corvidresearch/status/1243586811831541760

https://www.instagram.com/thedailyjames/?hl=en

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/NastyBoye/status/1228299354282364928

Baby birb.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zvahl posted:

best birds

they're so mean they bully the poo poo out of blackbirds and even cardinals

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

Unsinkabear posted:

I live in Florida and was loving green with envy about how many people itt seem to be just chilling with scrub jays and thinking nothing of it when they're so rare... turns out there is more than one type of scrub jay, and only ours are a conservation concern! Still jealous, but it's a good thing there are some subtypes of the little guys out there who are doing okay.

Aw, yeah. Ours are Western or California scrub jays (they keep changing the name), and they're doing fine. The ones out here seem to adapt very well to urban and suburban living. They're common backyard birds here in Portland.

They're so common, in fact, that lots of people don't like them: like all corvids, they can be aggressive and apparently sometimes bully smaller birds at feeders. I never see any jays bothering the flocks of goldfinches I also feed, though - as soon as they figured out they're too big for the finch feeders, they started just completely ignoring them.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Outside of my workplace is the site of an eternal battle between families of crows and red tailed hawks. It happens literally every Summer since I've been there.

Baby crows, born into a war they didn't ask for.

Lychnis
Jul 22, 2015

In Yachats, the war is between the crows and the seagulls. They occupy opposite banks of the estuary: big patches of white covering the wet sand on one side of the water, big patches of black covering the sand on the other.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Dreddout posted:

Yeah bluejays are pretty but I also have mostly only known them to hassle other birds constantly. Maybe the jays I knew were just assholes

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Were war corvids deployed in the coup? Do we have any on the scene reporters?

Jon Carbuncle
Sep 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
crows are cool and i miss being able to pet Eddie (i call him sir edward the second cause hes second eddie) at the nature center

hopefully he's doing fine and the vets there are still giving him pets

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Hilario Baldness posted:

Outside of my workplace is the site of an eternal battle between families of crows and red tailed hawks. It happens literally every Summer since I've been there.

Baby crows, born into a war they didn't ask for.

Lychnis posted:

In Yachats, the war is between the crows and the seagulls. They occupy opposite banks of the estuary: big patches of white covering the wet sand on one side of the water, big patches of black covering the sand on the other.

Both of these sound metal as gently caress. No bird wars where I am, sadly. I grew up in a neighborhood with lots of crow activity, but where I live there are only blue jays, wading birds, vultures (so many doom birds! My old apartment had a group of them that would roost on the roof across from us and just watch us come and go), and ospreys... so many ospreys, it's awesome. But I haven't seen a crow or a red-tailed hawk in ages, and now that I think about it that's pretty weird for Florida. Are ospreys aggressive towards them? I've never seen one even notice another bird, they just hunt their fish and make their weird little high-pitched noises. Maybe the crows just don't gently caress with coastline?

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
Been walking along the train tracks lately and noticed a raven couple collecting grasses for a nest on top of an electric pylon. Maybe we'll get to see some baby ravens soon :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Dreddout posted:

They do, but they also do an organized predator alert system for all the birds and are typically on the front lines driving threats away.

It makes sense that a group of them is called a "mob", they run a protection racket.