Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

sleeptalker posted:

They do, but they also do an organized predator alert system for all the birds and are typically on the front lines driving threats away.

It makes sense that a group of them is called a "mob", they run a protection racket.

new season of to catch a predator run by ravens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m reading “the curse of chalion” and there are a lot of crows in it

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

crows rule!

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

Lpzie posted:

crows rule!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

When I lived in Seattle, I worked at a lab at UW that was about a 15 minute walk away from my apartment. At some point during my 3 year stay in that city I started feeding crows peanuts in the shell, and while they were reluctant at first, 5 or so months of patient entreaty earned me a the attention a group of birds that began to number in the dozens every time I left my home or the lab where I worked during daylight hours. Instead of merely collecting the peanuts that I had dropped in their presence after I cleared enough distance between them and myself, they began to actively follow me when I stepped outdoors and into their territory, sometimes even snatching from midair the nuts I tossed for them.

As endearing as I found them, in time I had to start walking through backstreets, alleys, and other unusual paths in order to avoid intimidating people with the mob of crows that followed me so closely. They would sometimes even menace people who crossed my path, swooping down at them to drive them away. And though I enjoyed the company of these scoundrels, I must have spent 40 dollars in peanuts on them every month to make sure I was never in short supply. I have never been much for pet ownership, but this particular relationship with animals suited me well. I never had to clean up after them, and on the occasions that I had to leave the city, I could be confident they could take care of themselves without me.

While I question whether they ever truly held for me any fondness in their little hearts or if they just saw me as a peculiar food dispenser, among them were particularly bold specimens who, on rare occasion, would land on shoulder-height walls and ledges, and permit me to extend out an offering which at times they would take directly from my hand. To know those particular birds had such trust for me felt like an accomplishment, like a communion with a wild intelligence that saw fit to abide my company, even if on mercenary terms.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Lobe posted:

When I lived in Seattle, I worked at a lab at UW that was about a 15 minute walk away from my apartment. At some point during my 3 year stay in that city I started feeding crows peanuts in the shell, and while they were reluctant at first, 5 or so months of patient entreaty earned me a the attention a group of birds that began to number in the dozens every time I left my home or the lab where I worked during daylight hours. Instead of merely collecting the peanuts that I had dropped in their presence after I cleared enough distance between them and myself, they began to actively follow me when I stepped outdoors and into their territory, sometimes even snatching from midair the nuts I tossed for them.

As endearing as I found them, in time I had to start walking through backstreets, alleys, and other unusual paths in order to avoid intimidating people with the mob of crows that followed me so closely. They would sometimes even menace people who crossed my path, swooping down at them to drive them away. And though I enjoyed the company of these scoundrels, I must have spent 40 dollars in peanuts on them every month to make sure I was never in short supply. I have never been much for pet ownership, but this particular relationship with animals suited me well. I never had to clean up after them, and on the occasions that I had to leave the city, I could be confident they could take care of themselves without me.

While I question whether they ever truly held for me any fondness in their little hearts or if they just saw me as a peculiar food dispenser, among them were particularly bold specimens who, on rare occasion, would land on shoulder-height walls and ledges, and permit me to extend out an offering which at times they would take directly from my hand. To know those particular birds had such trust for me felt like an accomplishment, like a communion with a wild intelligence that saw fit to abide my company, even if on mercenary terms.

What you feel for crows, I feel for getting people to hang out with me. Cool short story

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:vince:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
There’s been a murder!

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

:patriot:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Jon Joe posted:

There’s been a murder!

people are rantin and raven about this thread many say sir mr jon joe sir this is a top flight operation

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nLUdjrm1SA

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sICaV6VKI6I

The description has the full story too, it's a good one

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

whisky jacks are where it's at, but their days are numbered with climate change.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

holy poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/gnuman1979/status/1245394746366922757?s=19

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Rah, where did this pixel crow come from?

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

It's rainin crows! Hallelujah!

Poor Outlook
Jan 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

i have three pitches: fastball, slider, and mr skippy. Managers don't like mr skippy

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

:iiam:

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.

Feranon posted:

holy poo poo

same preys, other predator

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Mr. Lobe posted:

This appears to be the source.

https://www.deviantart.com/solusnox/art/Raven-402108943

The raven is 6 years old :toot:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cool, thanks

A long time ago I think someone had an avatar that was like a very web 1.0 gif animation of a crow saying "thank you", with the letters coming out in windows 95 screen saver type 3d lettering

I wish I could find either it, or the source

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

was it the old fyad poster "crow"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

a murder of crows

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

i say swears online posted:

was it the old fyad poster "crow"

dunno, but I want that crow gif

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I want to cuddle with corvids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfATurG-xAo

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

Cool, thanks

A long time ago I think someone had an avatar that was like a very web 1.0 gif animation of a crow saying "thank you", with the letters coming out in windows 95 screen saver type 3d lettering

I wish I could find either it, or the source

it was avant garde fyad superstar Mister Crow

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Maya Fey posted:

it was avant garde fyad superstar Mister Crow

huh, I misremembered what the text looked like

nevertheless

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Good find. I spent a bit of time trying to search for it on my own but couldn't find it. Here are some interesting corvidmations I found on the way.

https://i.imgur.com/KeoQyNg.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Y8CwB99.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006