Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
This is a 100% sincere and serious post: My family/household has a pod of crows that're extremely friendly to us. They even know who's who in the family based on what we do for them. We put food out for them, a lotta stuff like chicken, turkey, ham carvasses end up out back and they come pick them clean/carry off the bones. Our neighbors keep wondering why their gutters get clogged with chicken bones, but I think we're keeping mum. They come up onto our deck to peer in at the crack of dawn to see when someone wakes up so they can crow at us as if to say 'hey, more food!' or 'thanks!' after they're fed. They perch up on our roof when nobody's around and wait for someone to come home, at least if it's one of my parents who put the food out. They don't seem to care about my comings and goings, haha. They used to keep hawks away from the place when hawks would hang around and kill/feed on mourning doves, little birds, and even ducks (our area of MN used to have heated ponds that didn't ever freeze over, so mallards just stayed all loving year in flocks numbering into the 100s, we could go through a 50-pound bag of cracked corn in a day with them around). Oh, and they do the 'shiny objects' poo poo all the time with us. They'll drop off poo poo on our front porch or onto our deck, keys and the like. It's loving insane.

They're just genuinely really cool and smart birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Zvahl posted:

best birds

Blue jays loving LOVE SHELLED PEANUTS. We usually set them out for the squirrels to get, but jays are crazy about them. And by 'crazy', I don't mean 'come get them and fly away with them to eat'. I mean they'll come to the deck, pick up a peanut, shake it around a bit, then PUT IT RIGHT BACK WHERE THEY GOT IT FROM AND PICK UP ANOTHER ONE TO INSPECT IT before they find their perfect peanut and fly off with it. I don't know what the hell they think is so different between each one, but they're ridiculously picky and precise.