Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

toasterwarrior posted:

Same poo poo with Total War and Civilization. People love to talk a big game about how a new competitor would crush them because they're old, stagnant franchises with greedy devs or whatever, and yet every single competitor has completely failed to even put a dent in their popularity.

what competitors does Total War actually have? all i can think of is a US civil war game made by one of the more well known TW modders, but it's really not the same kind of game at all.

like its true what you say about Civilization, there have been many competitors over the years but Civ remains popular. This isn't true of either TW or M&B, they've simply never had competitors.

and Mount&Blade doesn't even have any real popularity to "put a dent" into, it's always been kind of a fringe indie game with a small budget and small playerbase. a major studio could put a lot more resources than Taleworlds has into doing something like this. however i simply don't think it would have mass appeal, which is why they haven't.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ErKeL posted:

I don't understand why there are still zero competitors.
I would lose my job if there were ever a functional game that scratched the same itch.

Try Starsector or the OG, Sid Meier's Pirates.

But yeah, weird there aren't more in this space.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Sid Meier's Pirates actually holds up really well except for the inevitably primitive early 2000s interface

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i was just looking at an indie ww2 naval combat game from like 2014 called Victory at Sea, described in a few of the reviews as "like mount&blade but with boats" in terms of how the game works, the interaction between different map scales and kind of open world structure etc. but i havent actually played it so i cant speak to the quality. Mostly Positive on steam fwiw

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates actually holds up really well except for the inevitably primitive early 2000s interface

And the dancing lol

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

You want to date the governor’s daughter, you better have rhythm.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

i was just looking at an indie ww2 naval combat game from like 2014 called Victory at Sea, described in a few of the reviews as "like mount&blade but with boats" in terms of how the game works, the interaction between different map scales and kind of open world structure etc. but i havent actually played it so i cant speak to the quality. Mostly Positive on steam fwiw

I played this for a couple of hours a few years back, and it felt really empty and unfun. With M&B and World Of Warships being two of my all-time favorite games, it should have been perfect for me.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

Alone forever....

:negative:

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Quicksilver6 posted:

And the bigger her boobs are the harder you have to dance.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Well, yeah. Gotta help her keep her balance.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Reading the last few pages of this thread and wondering if the game is good. I played the original M&B and loved the combat, but haven’t tried Warband or this.

Is it worth picking up on sale?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I'd say if you loved the original you should definitely pick this up on sale. Graphics is obviously better, but the animations are smoother and there's mods doing crazy stuff like adding battle artillery and magic, and though some people complain about kingdom management, it's still better than the days of the original mount and blade.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Tenacious J posted:

Reading the last few pages of this thread and wondering if the game is good. I played the original M&B and loved the combat, but haven’t tried Warband or this.

Is it worth picking up on sale?

It is absolutely worth it, especially on sale. I think seeing people's play time would put some perspective on the conversation. The game isn't perfect, but I've still got hundreds of hours into it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the kind of game where you play it for 200 hours and have a really good time then develop a sort of ennui about "drat this game could be so much better".

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's the kind of game where you play it for 200 hours and have a really good time then develop a sort of ennui about "drat this game could be so much better".

yeah :(

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I'm looking at getting back into this after a break of probably more than a year. Does kaoses tweaks still work or is there a mod replacing it?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If I execute caladog do I get his helmet?

I want that helmet.

Give it to me caladog.

edit: I don't care if your walls are in the river. I will hit them with my trebuchets

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 9, 2023

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Miguel Prado posted:

Does the Warhammer Fantasy mod still take 30 minutes to start the first time?

Looks like thanks to some change TW made they'll be able to shave off about 2/3rds of the initial shader build time soon: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-old-realms/news/monthly-development-blog-december

Also, wood elves are the next faction to be added. Probably not for a while though

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every day I wake up and I wonder why we still don't have a new version of the game. Its been 20 years almost....

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why don't you ask Sid Meier

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Too busy civilizationing

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Anyone hosting a custom server? https://moddocs.bannerlord.com/multiplayer/hosting_server/

edit: I don't think you can do much with it, seems like it's just a glorified crappy OOTB multiplayer, not like a "run around and play the game with multiple people" server.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Captain mode would be fun in semi-coop, or in small groups. Is that doable? I don't wanna get shithoused by sweaty pubbies.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
17gb patch. Lots of changes but I'm not sure what they all are yet. My character feels a bit slower while fighting. Mods broke a bunch of poo poo so I had to turn some off. I don't feel like starting a new game yet. I'm only on my second game ever and I only have one fief.

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/News/547

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

looks like they tweaked and reworked a bunch of poo poo but i dont see any new diplo options or anything to make the kingdom phase not brutally tedious so i shant be starting a new game

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Factions apparently blow up when losing all towns and castles. Not sure if it is only the ruling clan that implodes and the rest become freelancers or what.

Also arena fights got tougher. Opponents block pretty regularly now, especially in the later rounds.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Molybdenum posted:

Also arena fights got tougher. Opponents block pretty regularly now, especially in the later rounds.

Yeah they last a whole lot longer now. If they made it so my bets mattered I'd have liked that, but now it's just more of a chore.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I wish there was a mod or it was in the base game for coop, to even just ride around in my Bros army and command his cav or whatever during a battle, would be so nice

Mortlock
May 16, 2014

Molybdenum posted:

Factions apparently blow up when losing all towns and castles. Not sure if it is only the ruling clan that implodes and the rest become freelancers or what.

All the clans separate into individual clans and you are at war with all of them. So when you take the last fief you get spammed with a whole bunch of war decorations.

However, I'm not sure if you lose the prisoners that you have at the time.

\o/

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The ridiculous lack of effort by the devs is hilariously highlighted by the dragon banner item; after the banners themselves being (at least in theory) semi-useful for characters, just making the dragon banner actually give Army-wide bonuses would be a huge incentive for player to commit to the campaign, but nah- I just crafted the drat thing and lo and behold: 10% charge bonus for cavalry.

This has to be the most underwhelming artefact ever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Valtonen posted:

The ridiculous lack of effort by the devs is hilariously highlighted by the dragon banner item; after the banners themselves being (at least in theory) semi-useful for characters, just making the dragon banner actually give Army-wide bonuses would be a huge incentive for player to commit to the campaign, but nah- I just crafted the drat thing and lo and behold: 10% charge bonus for cavalry.

This has to be the most underwhelming artefact ever.

I 100% missed when they made banners an equippable or usable item. Wtf.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I picked up Bannerlord during the fall sale after having it on my wishlist for ages and have put a decent chunk of time into the base game so far - are there any recommended QOL/Vanilla+ mods I should grab? I'm not really looking for big total conversion things but anything that expands on the vanilla game is fine.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

the only one you need is the one that lets you chop off heads and limbs

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Ravenfood posted:

I 100% missed when they made banners an equippable or usable item. Wtf.

Yea all named characters can now equip banners that affect the group they captain (i think, unsure If they actually work) and theyre divided into threee tiers: for example a melee resistance banner t1 gives I think 10% melee damage reduction, t2 20% and t3 30%.

Anyway, rather than making the campaign focal point, the eponymous dragon banner (that has a unique model) give a power that could actually counterbalance the ridiculous ”Oh yea Lol now everyone and their mom forever fights you and only you to the death” they just made it a random t2 flag power.

A for effort.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I picked up Bannerlord during the fall sale after having it on my wishlist for ages and have put a decent chunk of time into the base game so far - are there any recommended QOL/Vanilla+ mods I should grab? I'm not really looking for big total conversion things but anything that expands on the vanilla game is fine.

If you are into smithing, there are mods that make it easier to play around with that subsystem (making smithing stamina regen while riding around or just setting the stamina costs to zero).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I still haven't really figured out smithing - what exactly causes new parts to be unlocked? I've noticed I unlock stuff when smelting weapons and it seems to be tied to the weapon type being smelted, but I'm not sure if I'm only unlocking parts from that specific weapon, or just parts in the same weapon class/tier. I also seem to sometimes get a new part when crafting something but again I'm not sure what the relationship between what I'm crafting and what I'm unlocking is. I don't have any parts available beyond like, tier 2, despite smelting stuff from all over the map.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pretty sure it's entirely random

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Improved Garrisons is a stand out for me. It allows you to create patrols and recruiting parties while managing all your fiefs from one screen. Makes the late game more fun.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOurTpCWU6g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Improved Garrisons is a stand out for me. It allows you to create patrols and recruiting parties while managing all your fiefs from one screen. Makes the late game more fun.

This for sure. I'd also recommend Adjustable Bandits and Governors Handle Issues. All help with some of the late game annoyances.