Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates actually holds up really well except for the inevitably primitive early 2000s interface

It needs to bring back the “original pirate tunes” (actual 16th and 17th century music) of the original.

(Also sea shanties, because just because something got put through the wringer of TikTok popularity doesn’t mean it’s not intrinsically good.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I still haven't really figured out smithing - what exactly causes new parts to be unlocked? I've noticed I unlock stuff when smelting weapons and it seems to be tied to the weapon type being smelted, but I'm not sure if I'm only unlocking parts from that specific weapon, or just parts in the same weapon class/tier. I also seem to sometimes get a new part when crafting something but again I'm not sure what the relationship between what I'm crafting and what I'm unlocking is. I don't have any parts available beyond like, tier 2, despite smelting stuff from all over the map.

I think it unlocks stuff based on the value/difficulty of the item smelted/created. It takes forever to unlock daggers/thrown daggers even when buying out and smelting every pugio and tribal throwing dagger I come across but smelting/crafting a high denar two-handed whatever will unlock dozens of parts. I'm playing a campaign and Ive taken over half of calradia and i have my smithing at 288 and regularly slam out high denar smithing jobs and generic 2h swords.

I've fully unlocked throwing axes, javelins, 2h mace, sword, 2h polearms and pikes. All the 1h stuff still has lots of parts locked. Throwing axes and javelins have the least parts, so they unlock fully the easiest, throwing axes especially are a very quick path to relatively high value items.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Eric the Mauve posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates actually holds up really well except for the inevitably primitive early 2000s interface

Excuse me, that is the remake of Sid Meier's Pirates. The real Sid Meier's Pirates comes with a primitive late 80s interface.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Here are some QoL mods I was using when I last played a couple months ago.

- Improved Garrisons
- Better Smithing Continued
- Bannerlord Cheats (to increase xp gain)
- Better Time (gives you faster fast-forward on the map)
- Diplomacy
- Governors Handle Issues
- Equip Best Item Reloaded
- RTS Camera (despite the name, my favorite feature in this is that after you die it lets you switch to one of your soldiers)
- Show Companion Requirements
- Troop Sorting

There are also mods with largely similar functionalities to some of these; Party Screen Enhancements does a lot of the same things as Troop Sorting, for example.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 3, 2024

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The Genesis version of Sid Meier's Pirates was my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wGmBlkVvZM

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

There should be a name for the genre of all those pirates clones with the rumors, simulated traffic and whatnot

The guys who made Star traders frontiers originally used the Star traders engine for all their games meaning their shadowrun clone also had rumors and pirates style price fluctuations

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I keep trying to make new dude ideas but keep going back to beasting out on a horse with my 200 banner knight friends f1 f3

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the ios version of pirates! was quite good i thought but its no longer available for some reason.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

the ios version of pirates! was quite good i thought but its no longer available for some reason.

Probably an ios update broke it at some point and it wasn't worth it for the developers to update compatibility. A lot of stuff disappears from the ios store because of that kind of thing.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm currently playing my longest game so far. My second serious try. I'm the southern empire this time and was going to do the main quest but everywhere I read they just say to skip it. I have maybe 200-300 days left on it so I'm in no rush. Right now I'm just running around and whittling away at the enemy's towns and castles whenever we go to war. There are only 3 enemy kingdoms left. It's cool that you can wipe them out entirely now.

I have a few questions for you guys:

Should I bother with the main quest?

What happens if I eliminate everyone but the southern empire? Does that win you the game or something?

My armies always seem to end up the same composition. 100+ish infantry, 60+ archers, 60ish cav, 60ish cav archers. As the leader I always end up being a cav archer. It's much easier to run around the battlefield and harass the enemy while I'm trying to order troops around. My question: what is your main character? Are you always mounted? It seems like it might be fun to just be a regular infantry with an axe and go into battle but that doesn't seem very efficient.

I thought I had more questions but that's all I can think of atm.

edit: I remembered one: Why, when I take a castle/town with my own party, does it always go to a vote and I'm not even an option to vote for? I figured if I took it 100% by myself I should just get it but that's not the case. I don't understand the logic behind it.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 15, 2024

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Tbh I can't really answer most of these since I haven't really gone deep down the main story when I bothered, or gotten a run where I made one kingdom become the de-facto "winner", but

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My armies always seem to end up the same composition. 100+ish infantry, 60+ archers, 60ish cav, 60ish cav archers. As the leader I always end up being a cav archer. It's much easier to run around the battlefield and harass the enemy while I'm trying to order troops around. My question: what is your main character? Are you always mounted? It seems like it might be fun to just be a regular infantry with an axe and go into battle but that doesn't seem very efficient.

I'm definitly mainly mounted as well, usually wielding a two-handed weapon and going against enemy cavalry (generally trying to keep them out of my archers). Also chucking some javelins since those can do pretty crazy damage (And hitting a guy at full speed feels like it must really hurt :v: ). Exception is for sieges where horses are generally not useful anyway, there I tend to go with bow/crossbow and snipe the enemies, either shooting archers off the walls or when defending I try to hold down one of the areas being attacked by the enemy melee. If you can find a good spot and got a decent ranged weapon, you can basically lock down a ladder all by yourself just headshotting guys

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The main quest is phase 1: unite (at least 2/3 settlements) the empire. After you complete that the game thanks you by making everyone else declare permanent war on you and then gives objective ”now conquer the rest of the map
and destroy all other factions”

After that it gives you a popup ”you won.”

Not exaggerating, it is *that* dumb.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Valtonen posted:

The main quest is phase 1: unite (at least 2/3 settlements) the empire. After you complete that the game thanks you by making everyone else declare permanent war on you and then gives objective ”now conquer the rest of the map
and destroy all other factions”

After that it gives you a popup ”you won.”

Not exaggerating, it is *that* dumb.

Well then, I guess I wasn't expecting much from this developer. I like them of course but it reminds me of eastern european developers that are janky but fun and work for the most part. ARMA and Men of War and the like. Great games but just... weird.

I still play Napoleonic Wars every few days on a bot server. Great drunk multiplayer game.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Mesadoram posted:

The Genesis version of Sid Meier's Pirates was my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wGmBlkVvZM

Probably my most rented game after General Chaos. I should have just asked for it for Christmas.

Did they ever add the ability for you to give your starving villagers food? It really annoyed me when I had tons of food but I couldn’t give it to village elders to stave off a revolt.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Probably my most rented game after General Chaos. I should have just asked for it for Christmas.

Did they ever add the ability for you to give your starving villagers food? It really annoyed me when I had tons of food but I couldn’t give it to village elders to stave off a revolt.

General Chaos was SO GOOD. Shame it's been mostly forgotten :smith:.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I had Pirates for PC and loved it.

I actually have it on Steam and apparently played 10 minutes in 2018 so I don't know how well it works.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
In my complete run I was battanian and tried to keep my main party at around 130 inf, 100 archers and 100 cav, minimal cav archers. The only Cav archers I liked were the khuzaits with those sick polearms and I didn't like them with the rest of my army, I'd rather just have 300 of them and nothing else or an army of everything else.

Fighting against AI Cav archers was a joke too. They'd run way ahead of the rest of their army and they'd either get brutalized by stationary archers near an infantry block or charging Cav. I routinely killed all the Cav archers on the battle field without taking a single loss. I think when commanded by a player they'd position/retreat much better.

Edit: I was a Cav archer as well. The riding height makes issuing commands easier and you can armor as heavily as you'd like with no real issue. I always did sword/board and bow/jav though.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Well then, I guess I wasn't expecting much from this developer. I like them of course but it reminds me of eastern european developers that are janky but fun and work for the most part. ARMA and Men of War and the like. Great games but just... weird.

I still play Napoleonic Wars every few days on a bot server. Great drunk multiplayer game.

I still play NW and it's still good fun with fairly active servers given its age. The bot server is still actively developing new maps.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Yall go infantry heavy, I always go more like a 40/60 ratio infantry to archers.

But I usually have some companions parties with me to make an army. And they are always infantry heavy.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

downout posted:

Yall go infantry heavy, I always go more like a 40/60 ratio infantry to archers.

But I usually have some companions parties with me to make an army. And they are always infantry heavy.
Yeah this is why my party has more archers than infantry. I'm going to preferentially recruit either Battanian or Khuzait nobles and get as many of them as I can, and then some Sturgian infantry just in case I don't have a group of companions for an infantry screen, and then use my companions' forces for more infantry and cavalry.

But my ideal army is probably like 60% Battanian archers, 20% Sturgian shield troops, and 20% khuzait nobles. 75/25 if I can't get the khuzaits.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah this is why my party has more archers than infantry. I'm going to preferentially recruit either Battanian or Khuzait nobles and get as many of them as I can, and then some Sturgian infantry just in case I don't have a group of companions for an infantry screen, and then use my companions' forces for more infantry and cavalry.

But my ideal army is probably like 60% Battanian archers, 20% Sturgian shield troops, and 20% khuzait nobles. 75/25 if I can't get the khuzaits.

Ya Battanian noble archers are still op and really easy to stock up on

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

downout posted:

Really, if you can't roll around with 1500 of your best bros and beat the pants off of any opponent, what's the point? The only downside is that you're slow as hell.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I still play NW and it's still good fun with fairly active servers given its age. The bot server is still actively developing new maps.

Yeah they have a ridiculous amount of maps. I see new ones all the time.

downout posted:

I learned a lot of medieval style fighting with the Total War games going back to the original Rome so I still use a heavy Roman strategy. I'm gonna try to drawn something. Bear with me: edit: horse cav == horse archers :downs:

Standard hammer and anvil technique for the most part. I line up my infantry with archers behind them and take off with my horse archers to go harass them while my infantry (anvil) move up. I keep my cav way off to the side unless the enemy charges with cav in which case I'd intercept with both cav and horse archers. When the enemy gets to my patiently waiting infantry with the foot archers pelting them the whole way , the hammer comes down and I flank them with all cav.

Works every single time even when I'm outnumbered almost 2:1.

edit: wait you mentioned companion parties. I've only ever had one party of my 4 captains for each inf/arch/cav/horse archers (me). I never looked into making other parties. Can you control them directly and move the around like your own? I've never looked into it.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 18, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
horse cav and the other cav.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

The thread title was "horse type: horse" for a reason :v:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Tankbuster posted:

whoops, I meant Cav and horse archers lol

No idea how I came up with horse cav

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Feb 18, 2024

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

edit: wait you mentioned companion parties. I've only ever had one party of my 4 captains for each inf/arch/cav/horse archers (me). I never looked into making other parties. Can you control them directly and move the around like your own? I've never looked into it.
Yeah you can have your companions lead parties separate from yours. Normally they run around and do stupid poo poo/get captured, but you can integrate them into your Army (have to be a member or ruler of a kingdom to do this IIRC) at 0 influence cost so that you can exceed your solo troop cap and compete with the NPC mega blobs on siege/defense. Once you are huge enough, you can autobattle your way to victory in a lot of situations without running the same tedious scene battle for the Nth time.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

obv he means the camel cavalry

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Yeah they have a ridiculous amount of maps. I see new ones all the time.

I learned a lot of medieval style fighting with the Total War games going back to the original Rome so I still use a heavy Roman strategy. I'm gonna try to drawn something. Bear with me: edit: horse cav == horse archers :downs:

Standard hammer and anvil technique for the most part. I line up my infantry with archers behind them and take off with my horse archers to go harass them while my infantry (anvil) move up. I keep my cav way off to the side unless the enemy charges with cav in which case I'd intercept with both cav and horse archers. When the enemy gets to my patiently waiting infantry with the foot archers pelting them the whole way , the hammer comes down and I flank them with all cav.

Works every single time even when I'm outnumbered almost 2:1.

Ya, they become part of your troops in a battle. And the leaders can be assigned as captains during fights.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

whoops, I meant Cav and horse archers lol

No idea how I came up with horse cav

the funny thing is I knew exactly what you meant

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Mesadoram posted:

General Chaos was SO GOOD. Shame it's been mostly forgotten :smith:.

Almost forgot about this one! I damaged a friendship on it, kept going over to hang out with a friend who had it just to play the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I love this guy since he just tests formations over and over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTxrRzv0ncw

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Third World Reagan posted:

I love this guy since he just tests formations over and over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTxrRzv0ncw

I love his videos. It's kind or crazy how good the basic foot soldiers are for the desert folks (forget their name).

Gonna try to make an army based around them, the fians and the shock troops from the viking people (its been over a year since I played, I forgot everyone's names :smith:).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Thinking of giving this another go, any changes in the last year or so? Considering being a cataphract with bow lance and mace, but idk if that's too many weapon proficiencies and not enough ammo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was wondering if there's any good conversion mods because the base M&B seems like a terribly boring setting but I really like the gameplay. I think by now it's probably at a good/mature enough level?

I don't know poo poo about it, but there really should be some fantasy mods. I see there's an extremely gigantic Warhammer mod, I guess? I honestly just think adding in a fantasy faction or two would go a long way. Like, replace a chunk of Battania with some elfs who are really good at bows or replace some of Sturgia with orcs or whatever.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 20, 2024

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

jokes posted:

I was wondering if there's any good conversion mods because the base M&B seems like a terribly boring setting but I really like the gameplay. I think by now it's probably at a good/mature enough level?

I don't know poo poo about it, but there really should be some fantasy mods. I see there's an extremely gigantic Warhammer mod, I guess? I honestly just think adding in a fantasy faction or two would go a long way. Like, replace a chunk of Battania with some elfs who are really good at bows or replace some of Sturgia with orcs or whatever.

I like the Eagle Rising Roman mod. You can combine it with a Europe map mod, but I don't have that.

I started playing it again yesterday, after a few months away, and it does feel a bit harder. I'm not sure if this is due to RBM, Eagle Rising or just the base game being harder

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Looks like M&B finally has some competition, a new medieval fantasy game coming out this year with village building, tactical combat, looks pretty good and - wait what the gently caress!? (Seriously watch this trailer without reading comments or spoilers first)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvezgDni8z4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gadzuko posted:

Looks like M&B finally has some competition, a new medieval fantasy game coming out this year with village building, tactical combat, looks pretty good and - wait what the gently caress!? (Seriously watch this trailer without reading comments or spoilers first)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvezgDni8z4

:wtc:

You're basically Ash from Army of Darkness lol.

I don't know if I really like it or I don't like it. The base game without the main character seems cool on it's own.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

jokes posted:

I've been playing the hell out of The Old Realm mod. There's something cathartic about several ranks of loose formation hand gunners firing onto an oncoming cavalry charge of Brettonian knights and Empire demigrifs that you've slowed down with Curse of Years before issuing the charge command to your infantry lined up behind your gunners as your cavalry comes in from the flank. It's definitely not finished, but it scratches an itch that makes it likely I'll not go back to vanilla Bannerlord. Wood Elves will be coming in the next release along with more careers, but dwarves, orcs and goblins are still a while away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_mI0VHowsc

There's also kinstrife