Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alt Right Said Fred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I literally get none of that. My TikTok usually gives me some fun comedy sketches, video game stuff, music recommendations, etc. Their algorithm is eerie how quickly it showed me stuff I want to see

CelticPredator has revealed themselves, in this thread, to be an insane person with a weird old man grudge despite being in their early 30's. As with all weird old man grudges, facts and reality itself don't matter.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think social media is good. Any of it.

I don't think social media is inherently evil, it's just people reaching out to talk to people. It's no more inherently cursed than a conversation or a bulletin board. Where the evil is, is social media with the brakes off, like Twitter being essentially unmoderated, allowing harassment and weird bot-posting to run wild, or engines that hunger desperately for deeper and deeper engagement, using algorithms to feed you more of what keeps you hanging around. That's what's going to create weird addictive feedback loops and get someone hurt.

Of course as long as social media is run with a pure profit motive, rather than a social motive, it's always going to head towards this since moderation costs money and engaged addicts generate money(in the form of data and ad views).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only actual *social* media, i.e. media that exist to foster socialization, are things like messaging apps. Anything with a content feed is just a predatory profit machine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

CelticPredator has revealed themselves, in this thread, to be an insane person with a weird old man grudge despite being in their early 30's. As with all weird old man grudges, facts and reality itself don't matter.

Mad?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Tiktok sucks rear end but I support anything that makes people mad. So it's a real conundrum for me

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Honestly, I think that the instant that social media turned into absolute unreadable garbage was the nanosecond that somebody decided that engagement was the metric that success was to be based upon. Decoupling the concept of quality or social good from success has opened up the floodgates to the kind of poo poo that sees people being radicalised online, or hate speech flourishing, or absolute garbage content clickbait becoming the norm rather than the outlier.

A long time ago on the forums, and I'm talking about at least 5 years ago, somebody made a completely wackadoo post about some sort of social currency system that was based on an attention economy. He used some sort of a tortured metaphor about marbles shooting out of people's foreheads at whatever they were directly looking at and the more marbles you had, the more of the economy you controlled, and I really really wish that I had bookmarked this crazy person's post because gently caress me if it doesn't seem like it's the patient zero blueprint for all of the social media ills that have come after it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm doing my taxes. leave the tiktok to the kids.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Breetai posted:

Honestly, I think that the instant that social media turned into absolute unreadable garbage was the nanosecond that somebody decided that engagement was the metric that success was to be based upon. Decoupling the concept of quality or social good from success has opened up the floodgates to the kind of poo poo that sees people being radicalised online, or hate speech flourishing, or absolute garbage content clickbait becoming the norm rather than the outlier.

A long time ago on the forums, and I'm talking about at least 5 years ago, somebody made a completely wackadoo post about some sort of social currency system that was based on an attention economy. He used some sort of a tortured metaphor about marbles shooting out of people's foreheads at whatever they were directly looking at and the more marbles you had, the more of the economy you controlled, and I really really wish that I had bookmarked this crazy person's post because gently caress me if it doesn't seem like it's the patient zero blueprint for all of the social media ills that have come after it.
That was Eripsa

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And we all laughed because that made no sense, just getting people's attention doesn't inherently make you any money or value in itself unless you already have some kind of service or product to offer.

...which is still probably true but internet advertising makes millions on poo poo no one buys anyway because marketing exists primarily to advertise its own supposed usefulness.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
You know what, sometimes I actually kinda like finding out that a celebrity is just a normal type of rear end in a top hat, rather than a 'causes mass harm and believes in eugenics or something' type of rear end in a top hat.

https://twitter.com/nadiaudio/status/1784380449604956350

Hans loving Zimmer being one of those weird power users on a niche help forum is one of those.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Apr 28, 2024

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tokin opposition posted:

Embrace meaninglessness

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Spazzle posted:

That was Eripsa

Thanks for that, I was able to find the original thread after several years of looking for it. The bits about computerised systems operating independently of direct human control working out where attention should be diverted to, and about attention being exchanged for an increase in the influence of the attention-getter were even more horrific than I remember them being. This is the worst Nostradamus. He came to us with a blueprint for the torment nexus. None of us understood at the time.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Breetai posted:

Thanks for that, I was able to find the original thread after several years of looking for it. The bits about computerised systems operating independently of direct human control working out where attention should be diverted to, and about attention being exchanged for an increase in the influence of the attention-getter were even more horrific than I remember them being. This is the worst Nostradamus. He came to us with a blueprint for the torment nexus. None of us understood at the time.

Link?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Breetai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr1VCz28HJo

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cleretic posted:

You know what, sometimes I actually kinda like finding out that a celebrity is just a normal type of rear end in a top hat, rather than a 'causes mass harm and believes in eugenics or something' type of rear end in a top hat.

https://twitter.com/nadiaudio/status/1784380449604956350

Hans loving Zimmer being one of those weird power users on a niche help forum is one of those.

Something of a dick yeah, but I think OP is blowing it out of proportion.

Hans does need to learn that other people are not Hans and can't just kick down the door to the editors room and dictate to the directors and editors how your music is going to be mixed in.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Big 'crotchety tenured art professor' vibes from Hans here

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

First google result for "eripsa somethingawful"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3462638&pagenumber=28

Marble stuff is several posts down, but earlier posts are in the same depressing vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't think social media is inherently evil, it's just people reaching out to talk to people. It's no more inherently cursed than a conversation or a bulletin board. Where the evil is, is social media with the brakes off, like Twitter being essentially unmoderated, allowing harassment and weird bot-posting to run wild, or engines that hunger desperately for deeper and deeper engagement, using algorithms to feed you more of what keeps you hanging around. That's what's going to create weird addictive feedback loops and get someone hurt.

Of course as long as social media is run with a pure profit motive, rather than a social motive, it's always going to head towards this since moderation costs money and engaged addicts generate money(in the form of data and ad views).
Social media platforms named themselves that in the same way that North Korea calls itself a democratic people's republic. It's not a literal term for any and all platforms that enable people to be social. It never was.