Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Perestroika posted:

<:mad:> First of all I'll have you know that they're not Space Marines and furthermore,

yeah, they're much cooler :meowth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Also it's weird how people talk about Tiktok like it's the first social media site to ever have weird videos or memes that make people in their 40's angry when they see them. It all follows from the last one, livejournal, youtube, myspace, facebook, twitter, vine, instagram, snapchat, vine, tumblr down to Tiktok now. And there's probably another six in there that I'm forgetting about.

How quickly everyone forgot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

I have no idea what you are trying to say so I'm taking it as a compliment and you can't stop me.

• You have a distinct speech pattern when you type
  • It should be very obvious to goons when you're being sarcastic or doing 'a bit' or not
  • However you happen to be phrasing 'America sucks' is always genuine

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

• It should be very obvious to goons when you're being sarcastic or doing 'a bit' or not

It's amazing that after so many years people assume that everyone can easily identify everyone's exact intent from text and nothing else. Tons of people have trouble pulling subtleties out of written sentences. It's ridiculous to assume your interpretation of every post should be obvious to everyone else

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's amazing that after so many years people assume that everyone can easily identify everyone's exact intent from text and nothing else. Tons of people have trouble pulling subtleties out of written sentences. It's ridiculous to assume your interpretation of every post should be obvious to everyone else

No, I'm right, and you can be too if you agree with everything I say.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I’m late catching up on water talk, but anyone interested in water read the book Cadillac Desert, it’s kind of a grim read on “how the west was won tamed with water”

The book is a historical look at how the west was settled with water. Water that isn’t replaceable, is going to run out, has cost billions, and will cost billions more. I picked it up because it’s referenced in the fiction book The Water Knife and while some of it’s pretty dry reading (I don’t read much nonfiction) it’s fascinating in the work they’ve done to get water there and because it predicts a very dry ending for places like California.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I went Water Knife -> Cadillac Desert too, and was real mad about sprinklers for a while

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Neurodivergent people would have a difficult time trying to parse the hidden meanings or when someone is “doing a bit” in anyone’s posting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

probably depends on their specific divergence?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As a neurodivergent person I simply got into the habit of second-guessing interpretations and not being surprised when people take a phrase differently than I did. Especially given how many neurotypical people will misunderstand something and then go completely nuts and never let you get a word in edgewise.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Some people are good at it. I'm not and that's why I have to make compressed second posts clarifying what I meant initially all the time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fun fact: There wasn't actually any censorship. People posted screenshots of before and after the patch, and it's the same outfit. The one they think was in 1.0 is some kind of edit or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Data Graham posted:

I will say that it's taken decades but even diehard chuds will recycle. They don't really complain much about it even. It's just been a part of the conversation for long enough, and relentlessly enough, and supported by enough government and infrastructure to ease friction about it, that recycling is just "something you do".

So even if recycling is pointless theater (and maybe it is), it's a toehold for the idea of being environmentally conscious as just a fact-of-life in the modern world.
"Look, we started recycling like you told us and now you're saying climate change is still happening? You're never satisfied. And it turns out recycling's all a scam anyway? Well the whole thing seems like a scam to me!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tiggum posted:

"Look, we started recycling like you told us and now you're saying climate change is still happening? You're never satisfied. And it turns out recycling's all a scam anyway? Well the whole thing seems like a scam to me!"

They aren't wrong, they just aren't willing to do the next necessary steps that involve capitalists being put up against the wall.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Midnight Voyager posted:

Fun fact: There wasn't actually any censorship. People posted screenshots of before and after the patch, and it's the same outfit. The one they think was in 1.0 is some kind of edit or something.

They might be referring to the patch that will be removing "Hard R"

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

DRINK ME posted:

it’s pretty dry reading

Hah!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

...! posted:

Which was a completely accidental unfortunate positioning of some graffiti or something right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Heath posted:

Which was a completely accidental unfortunate positioning of some graffiti or something right?

Hard to know for certain, but them changing it quickly makes me think it was either an accident or an employee who has found a different job or will need to shortly snuck it in.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

...! posted:

Maybe but there are PAGES UPON PAGES of people mad about that "censorship" of the vagina that didn't happen at all, so it's honestly just as likely it's that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hard-r vagina

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Vagina 2: Vagina Harder

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fister Roboto posted:

hard-r vagina

https://i.imgur.com/iTogGiy.mp4

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

wash bucket posted:

Now, why do you suppose Mr. Musk would have a grudge against the Mandela family?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

You can take the Afrikaner out of Apartheid, but...

Byzantine posted:

Hell yeah they are. :hfive:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

RareAcumen posted:

Thank you

Elephant Ambush posted:

I mean sure, but don't forget that most goons have been posting in the same or similar mega threads for 10+ years at this point. You learn peoples weirdness eventually even in text, no matter your neurological power level.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As a neurodivergent person I simply got into the habit of second-guessing interpretations and not being surprised when people take a phrase differently than I did. Especially given how many neurotypical people will misunderstand something and then go completely nuts and never let you get a word in edgewise.

Neurotypicals, much like cishet people and good cops, don't exist. It's just a matter if your weird is profitable or unprofitable for capital. In a world where holding down a 40+ hour job is prequsite vast amounts of people are crammed into ways of thinking and being that are anti-hunan and intolerable.

Risking saying another Hot Take here, but as a long time sad brains unenjoyer, I legit don't think the majority of people with depression have a primarily chemical cause of the condition, but conditional, and would be either cured or massively improved if given their basic needs and as many luxuries as we can devise. (And that rates of depression in this sense is massively underreported because so many people are functionally depressed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit_life_syndrome

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Midnight Voyager posted:

There is, but it happened in a patch that came out pre-release(and even before any review copies were sent out). The game dev heavily implied it was Sony’s call. And it’s a very weird choice because there are other outfits that are more risqué that weren’t touched so ???

RatHat has a new favorite as of 10:32 on Apr 27, 2024

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, there's definitely something to this. I spent most of my twenties in a chronic depression, and finally getting a job that offered financial security and moving into a place that wasn't a tiny cramped hovel did more for my recovery than anything else. :unsmith:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Didn't the last freedom flotilla get violently boarded by IDF before they reached the coast?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's the worst!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

The fact words ending in -er and -a don't rhyme in many accents is something I know on an intellectual level but will never truly understand

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
English is the Calvinball language

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

The fact words ending in -er and -a don't rhyme in many accents is something I know on an intellectual level but will never truly understand

one is pronounced 'er' and the other is pronounced 'a'

Fishstick posted:

Didn't the last freedom flotilla get violently boarded by IDF before they reached the coast?

yes and a UN report stated that some of the dead were found to have been shot execution style with their hands bound

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Meanwhile we’re mystified that “sauce” and “moss” don’t rhyme in some accents, and that “source” is a homophone

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Harry and hairy, wtf is that about

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Harry and hairy, wtf is that about

?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Midnight Voyager posted:

An old tactic that reactionaries are using with this dumb controversy is to get straight women that agree with them speak out over censorship, by claiming that the changes to games like this or say Pokémon Go are also offensive to straight women as well and thus it is misogyny to delete the vagina bones.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Subjunctive posted:

I went Water Knife -> Cadillac Desert too, and was real mad about sprinklers for a while
These third party Dune knockoffs sound lame.

Byzantine posted:

drat right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm also reminded of something else-right wing rhetoric always needs some nemesis in either direction. If there's something they loathe they fixate on some enemy who obviously loves that thing. If there's something they find enjoyable they need to find an enemy that hates it and wants to take it away.

Most normies looking at an anime vidya game lady climbing boobily up a ladder will just chuckle and roll their eyes. They're not going to scream and slap the disk out of the gamers hands. But to reactionaries, mild criticism is all it takes to galvanize them and make it into a huge deal. This causes them to then arbitrarily pick sides in everything.

There were people critical of Helldivers 2/Starship Troopers/Warhammer 40k fascist aspects but still enjoyed the product . I think this really confused reactionaries- they weren't expecting the sjws to like both the thing they like AND like the thing they hate.

The whole controversy is dumb, but I see aspects of it get extended towards other social boogeymen, like race. Whiteness, for example, gets centered and saturated so much it no longer appears distinct vs elevating nonwhite art/religion/culture/etc to be a bit more visible. When people talk about how much better seasoned food tastes, reactionaries have to attack it. Their own culture can't just stand on its own they need to pull down other culture to elevate their own. I remember a very boomer-y Op Ed a lady wrote about how unpatriotic it was for Millennials to not like mayo or something. But again, what really fries these idiots tiny brains is the notion that people could like multiple things. Someone could like a plain boiled hot dog and a meticulously prepared curry dish. Someone could like a rare steak yet also enjoy a vegan meal.

Part of the way they project this all-or-nothing attitude is to argue that it is in fact the left that is very arbitrarily intolerant of differing viewpoint. Wokeness gets seen as this broad cult belief that cannot accommodate nuance or any kind of middle ground. Somehow the people who will dismiss you for "pronouns in bio, opinion discarded" and joke about deporting communists think themselves the Pragmatic, open minded side of politics.