Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Stellar actually good? Like, there's plenty of horny videogames that are fun to play beyond the horniness. Nier:Automata, Bayonetta etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Tik Tok sucks compared to vine in the same way new Twitter (even outside of all the musk poo poo) sucks compared to old twitter. Limiting the video to 7 seconds or a tweet to 140 characters forced a unique kind of content. Watching a 2:45 tik tok is no different from a random YouTube video, and “tweet 1/6” should just be a blog post.

Also, the “react” meta of modern social media is garbage. The whole ecosystem is just one of the few actual “content creators” making something that gets 500k views, and then 20 different big names “reacting” to it for a cumulative 50 million views. Or 30 different channels reacting to a video of a weird girl at chik-fil-a or whatever.

I don't mind reactions that actually add something to the original video like either corrections, silly jokes or a full on commentary - like actual reactions. But instead so much of it is just them silently staring, sometimes nodding if they're feeling spicy, to the point that I'm convinced some of them record themselves once and then stitch the same 'reaction' to everything they 'react' to. A brilliant effort-to-reward ratio depending on how popular they are but still.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Pyrotoad posted:

I don't mind reactions that actually add something to the original video like either corrections, silly jokes or a full on commentary - like actual reactions. But instead so much of it is just them silently staring, sometimes nodding if they're feeling spicy, to the point that I'm convinced some of them record themselves once and then stitch the same 'reaction' to everything they 'react' to. A brilliant effort-to-reward ratio depending on how popular they are but still.

Yeah. I sometimes like to watch reactors listening to songs I like, it's the same feeling as sharing a song with a friend, but much less so. But some of them aren't actually having a reaction or saying anything, they're just an overlay in the corner staring blankly.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The worst brain rot poo poo is the videos stitching together some regular video alongside someone playing Subway Runner or just a guy playing with sand. Training kids to think “I can’t watch or listen to something without a constant stimulus of bright lights and movement” is a fantastic way to generate some kind of new ADD for an entire generation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Is Stellar actually good? Like, there's plenty of horny videogames that are fun to play beyond the horniness. Nier:Automata, Bayonetta etc.

I played the demo and really enjoyed it. The bosses in particular are super cool. Gonna check out the whole game soon.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you can't even die of a heart attack anymore, due to woke

https://twitter.com/TheFreds/status/1783975866319396962

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

repiv posted:

you can't even die of a heart attack anymore, due to woke

https://twitter.com/TheFreds/status/1783975866319396962

Wait, are those the I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt guys?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The worst brain rot poo poo is the videos stitching together some regular video alongside someone playing Subway Runner or just a guy playing with sand. Training kids to think “I can’t watch or listen to something without a constant stimulus of bright lights and movement” is a fantastic way to generate some kind of new ADD for an entire generation.

So do you just start being compulsed to say unhinged boomer bullshit in your 50s or does your dying brain actually start to think like this as the neurons snap apart like Lego bricks

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

emSparkly posted:

Wait, are those the I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt guys?

Yeah they turned into right wing antimask twitter people during covid

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

rodbeard posted:

Yeah they turned into right wing antimask twitter people during covid

I had no idea about them, but covid let so many people out themselves as giant loving idiots that it’s hard to keep up / to remember them all. I feel like we need a covid-like every five years or so, just to let the worst people stand up and out themselves, so we’re all clear on where we stand.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

tokin opposition posted:

So do you just start being compulsed to say unhinged boomer bullshit in your 50s or does your dying brain actually start to think like this as the neurons snap apart like Lego bricks

I feel compelled to tell you

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

thing different than me had
thing bad!

(thing not actual different, me just not target audience now)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Alt Right Said Fred

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

OwlFancier posted:

Ah yes the LGBT leftoids famously do not want to sleep with, dress like, or be beautiful women.

Makes a lot more sense realising reactionaries famously do not care to even comprehend there's any space between leftists and Tipper Gore pearl-clutching liberals.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DRINK ME posted:

I had no idea about them, but covid let so many people out themselves as giant loving idiots that it’s hard to keep up / to remember them all. I feel like we need a covid-like every five years or so, just to let the worst people stand up and out themselves, so we’re all clear on where we stand.

The monkey’s paw hesitates, as if sensing a trap.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Platystemon posted:

The monkey’s paw hesitates, as if sensing a trap.

The money paw doesn't have to do poo poo, get ready for antibiotic resistant plague and super-measles.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

English is the Calvinball language

quote:

English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DRINK ME posted:

A presidential term is 4 years and they did the same thing with Trump. Monkey paw just gave us his second term.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

fondue posted:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

English is the Calvinball language

quote:

English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
--James D. Nicoll

I like how loanword itself is a calque, and calque is a loanword.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's also a misnomer, we have no intention of giving it back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Someone wished on a monkey's paw for infinite monkey's paws.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Tiktok is rotting the next generations brain, say generation that invented youtube poops

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

mycatscrimes posted:

Tiktok is rotting the next generations brain, say generation that invented youtube poops

I respect Skibidi Toilet for having a narrative structure and internal logic. It also has a good sense of escalation. The foundation of it is very lolrandom but it doesn't take that too far in my opinion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's like none of us remember what it was like to be just old enough to observe all the inscrutable foibles of the adult world but not understand any of them so we presumed them all to be stupid and absurd and based our senses of humor around ignorantly making fun of them.

Or was that just me

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Data Graham posted:

It's like none of us remember what it was like to be just old enough to observe all the inscrutable foibles of the adult world but not understand any of them so we presumed them all to be stupid and absurd and based our senses of humor around ignorantly making fun of them.

Or was that just me

powerful post/av combo

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Byzantine posted:

thing different than me had
thing bad!

(thing not actual different, me just not target audience now)

You don't have to defend the algorithm, mate

The General
Mar 4, 2007

kids these days and their media am i rite??

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I get muscle girls and parenti lectures on my tiktok it's mankind's greatest invention.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Or was that just me

And then we grow up and realise that at least half the time we were correct

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Kit Walker posted:

You don't have to defend the algorithm, mate

badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger
mushroom mushroom

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And then we grow up and realise that at least half the time we were correct

I feel like millennials were in a fairly unfortunate position for that because we were just at the right age to watch all the adults just lose their minds after 9/11 and and start a two front war that millennials then had to fight for them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mycatscrimes posted:

Don't forget those weird Elsa Spider-Man cholecystectomy* videos and a majority of Machinimas that we can't really scrutinize now they they've mostly been scrubbed off of youtube.

*random medical procedure

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Embrace meaninglessness

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mycatscrimes posted:

Youtube poops were creative and required editing. Some of these fuckin brain rotting videos have some person, either a young kid or an old rear end piece of poo poo sitting on their bed, wagging their finger with some text above them to start fights and engagement. Brain rotting poo poo bro.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

For anybody curious, here's a decent video about sludge videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuaDbu_VBLY
Though they're not going to bring upon the downfall of society.

And they'll never be as cool as sludgefest. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSqnbmXV6es

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
I don't think TikTok trends or the community itself are any more problematic than anything else on the modern internet. On the other hand, the dopamine drip short-form video format cannot be a good thing for the brain. As an ADHD-haver I avoid it like the plague because it could easily carve out a huge chunk of my attention and time and fill it with meaningless white noise shite.

It can totally be a funny and creative platform, but the idea that anyone is like, using it as a trusted source of news or information kind of terrifies me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's innately understood that 'Do your own research' doesn't mean read a book by now. Go ask youtube to point out an enemy* for you and you'll come back far wiser than you started.

*It was all the work of Jews and Feminists! I can't believe that it was this easy to solve! Now to bring 8 guns to my Starbucks and get answers from the barista who is definitely the CEO in charge of Feminism

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Youtube poops were creative and required editing. Some of these fuckin brain rotting videos have some person, either a young kid or an old rear end piece of poo poo sitting on their bed, wagging their finger with some text above them to start fights and engagement. Brain rotting poo poo bro.

I literally get none of that. My TikTok usually gives me some fun comedy sketches, video game stuff, music recommendations, etc. Their algorithm is eerie how quickly it showed me stuff I want to see

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Right but that requires work. I booted up tiktok and just got garbage and had to basically endlessly scroll

Same with Instagram. It is not good for the brain as a fellow adhd haver. I honestly feel kinda cooked after I fall into a scroll spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What I take issue with is saying social media and especially tik tok is bad is some kind of old thing and isn’t based on ya know being a kid and getting my own brain cooked on the internet lol.

poo poo is NOT good for you.

And also it’s a lot of kids putting their entire lives up on this platform for everyone. That’s also really bad too. This forum talks about not spewing your life around because people could use it against you; and these kids are doing that.

I don’t think social media is good. Any of it.