Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Please forgive my ignorance. But what is the "becky" meme? To what stereotype does she supposedly represent? Is it from "Becky with the good hair" from the Beyonce song?

I know Karen only as a "can I speak to the manager?", or the kind of person who sends food back and gets lovely at the underpaid wait staff kind of person. I didn't know that Karen also meant the white woman who called the cops on the black family having a BBQ, (was her name in real life Karen?).

"BBQ Becky" is the one who called the cops on the black family having a barbecue, real name Jennifer. The nickname was earliest seen here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Transmogrifier posted:

The F+ actually answered the question of "what is a male Karen?" in one of their earlier episodes. It's Gary.

ha ha! gary!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

there wolf posted:

Well there's some tentative evidence that the majority of people who are sexually attracted to prepubescent children never act on it because they know it's damaging and thus highly immoral. I guess it's not fair to shelve those people in with outright sexual predators?

Pedovore still sounds like some sort of specialized cannibal though. Clearly we need to start calling these cultists fishermen after Albert Fish. I see no confusion or complications as a result of this.

Kronosians

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

So some crazy person could make a Shakespeare Theatrical Universe?

That's literally what the Argonauts were to Greek myth.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Brawnfire posted:

This can all be over! Recant your allegiances, and tell me by what agents Checkers evaded our Divine Justice!

:nixon:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

nexus6 posted:

You guys are getting paid to dress?

You guys are still wearing clothes?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
kill all turks

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

boar guy posted:

like what the gently caress does that even mean
why the gently caress do i continue to use facebook
how is it that so many people who i formerly respected are such massive idiots

They cancelled the unboxing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

uh oh

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Despite the chatter going on in 'woke' circles, you'll find Mr Magoo is actually pretty popular within the Myop community.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

there's an entire Blind culture your family has been a part of and want to share in common with your child

Ah, Bulgarians.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Picnic Princess posted:

First women decided to show their ankles, then the miniskirt came along. It was only a matter of time before everyone stopped wearing clothes altogether.

Thank god.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Brawnfire posted:

Polynesia, Venice, Vikings, Normandy... I don't know man, it's kind of hilarious how much is being pitched into the wastebin of history here.

otoh, gently caress venice

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

That logic is also why everyone should still follow the imperial roman cult.

:hmmyes:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

poly and open-minded posted:

Well, some might say it would be Karenman if named today

Karenman, Karenman
Karenman calls Managerman
They have a fight, Karen wins
Karenman

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Henchman of Santa posted:

We've seen protests and marches in places like Utah, so I do think it's happening to some extent. But the biggest thing is that George Floyd's murder was so cut and dry obvious that even staunch conservatives couldn't come up with an argument for it. Even Dinesh D'Souza called the cop a murderer (but he still made sure to couch it in mega-racism).

Also the pandemic, lockdown, economic collapse and trupo beating the poo poo out of the "everything's fine you're just whining" mentality Ferguson had to fight against.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
At least it's low sodium.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
tbh i still don't know what "those that work forces" means.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

But to be clear we should definitely burn all ancient greek sites and replace them with enormous golden statues of Xerxes
Say what you will about the Persian Empire but

hrm

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

MizPiz posted:

That really isn't a fair assessment either since the real selling point is "you can play as a Satanist Patrician of Venice in 900 whose great-great-great-grandchild will be the anti-christ"

that's historically accurate though?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

I enjoy, in the sense that I do not at all enjoy, the implicit assumption that there is no possible way your hypothetical daughter can just enjoy slaying dudes all day every day.

they named her...THE DUDESLAYER

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Learning a lot from the comments.

"Resurrected Roman Empire"

grinchgrin.gif

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

PetraCore posted:

Just include trans love interests.

Tiresias romance.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Doc Hawkins posted:

no, the raelians had a religion of peace, the violence at the root of christianity gives rise to dangerous ideologies of "struggle" with unjust governments

It's true, if that cult hadn't toppled the Empire darkness would never have fallen.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

MizPiz posted:

I could've sworn that they basically made the Assassins and Templars an apolitical version of the left-right divide, with the bad people being the extremists on both sides. Granted, I checked out of the story after Unity.

One problem is they decided the Assassins were the good guys, so all the famous assassins like Oswald or Booth weren't Assassins.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Kantesu posted:

I suppose it's possible that less than 1/12 of the slaves went to the US specifically, especially because there were some long periods where the US didn't (legally) accept new slaves for trade, opting to let them reproduce (and in many cases, to my knowledge, specifically pairing people off) to get more.

If you're talking the entire slave trade, the majority went to the Caribbean plantations, iirc, due them being basically death camps.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
haha khajiit go prr

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Picnic Princess posted:

One emoji is used to convey an idea, three emojis is emphasizing it. It's become universal language at this point. So it's hilarious how many people conveniently ignore it when they're looking for reasons to be outraged.

If someone's being a clown you end your sentence in 🤡. If they're being such a loving clown that they've become Twitters main character, you use 🤡🤡🤡.

Five is right out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

MizPiz posted:

Edit: Am I the only one who thought Kylo Ren was supposed to be an alt-right/proud boy stand in?

He pre-dates them by a bit, iirc, but same energy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Is wife guy the upgraded form of MY GIRLFRIEND?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Master/puppets

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

OwlFancier posted:

I always find the eagle holding the bundle of arrows a bit... iffy. Liiittle bit close to a fasces there.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well, he's right a lot of republicans will be dead within a year if Biden wins. Or if Trump wins. Because they're a party of olds in denial about a deadly pandemic.

If only the pandemic hit last year.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
We all finally have an excuse to stay inside and play video games constantly and people still arguing about driving.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I don’t think women had this much power even in feminine Rome

what

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's Rome with boobies. :shrug:

paradise

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

The gently caress, I've been a Big Chungus for free?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

RoboRodent posted:

Do not have sex with the sun.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
All this anti-Dragonborn rhetoric...

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Guilty posted:

traditionally white I.e. Italian, russian.

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Pththya-lyi posted:

Here's Kareem Carr, the guy James Lindsay tried to cancel, explaining why 2 + 2 does equal 5 in certain contexts: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/math/a33547137/why-some-people-think-2-plus-2-equals-5/

Notably, despite what his bad-faith critics say, it's not because everything is meaningless and facts don't matter.