Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sheep-dodger posted:

there's a whole cinematic universe of thin [colour] lines:

pour one out for the brave dispatchers
They’re probably the most likely to die young out of all of them, but that’s because the dispatcher lifestyle is to a heart attack as a hammer is to a nail. I worked somewhere that had two dispatchers die in a month, and I knew one dispatcher that had died and been revived twice. Everyone called him Pet Semetary because that dude came back wrong. Such a dick after that.

And what the gently caress is going on with the emergency medical services one? Even dumb schmatlzy flag crap has them be an afterthought again.

Ugh I know so many EMTs with those stupid flag stickers on the back of their pickup trucks they can’t afford and never use for pickup truck stuff. They’re the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I can’t parse that at all. Think who’s related? What does any of that mean?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

Using a “men at work” sign is making it so women don’t enter the construction business. Chastising workers about this is doing feminism.

The way it was phrased totally scrambled my brain, but now I can at least figure out what they were trying to say.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zakharov posted:

Just how much alcohol do these people need?

I know he's Australian but still

My all-time high scoring patient was up to 2L of vodka on an average day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My Twitter Account posted:

Dr. Atkins died of a massive coronary.

He slipped on ice and bashed his head. He ended up dying from surgical complications when they did surgery to remove a clot.

He did have possible cardiomyopathy though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

EasilyConfused posted:

He did have cardiomyopathy, but there's no evidence that an unhealthy diet played a role https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Atkins_(physician)#Death

Definitely, there's tons of different causes and types of cardiomyopathy. I think that's just where that one guy got "massive coronary" from.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Knormal posted:

It seems like when it started this thread was a lot more aunts posting Minion memes and old mistaking Google's Facebook page for the search engine. Now it's probably 80% politics, which is a sign of the times because everything sucks right now, so that's a natural evolution.

I miss Firefighter Guy and Titanic Guy.

I think part of the problem is that youropenbook.com is dead, that used to rule for typing in random words or onion links and seeing what dumb poo poo would fall out.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

I refuse to believe this was an honest post.

:smith:

Eattolivenottodie.com is an earnest site and the owner of it went to court for being a quack. Definitely check out the f plus episode about it, it’s loving nuts.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

Is that the same guy who claims that germs exist but don't cause disease and everyone just needs to make their immune systems stronger by eating the right foods, or is this just an adjacent brand of dumbness?

He’s for sure got a thing for what he called “electric alkaline foods” but the alkaline food thing is a pretty common brand of woo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Imagining this person getting extremely mad at Chicago sports radio

https://twitter.com/l4nzhan/status/1253536625415446534?s=21

Yes, languages should be completely static and never pick up vocabulary from other cultures. English is certainly not three languages standing on each other’s shoulders in a trench coat.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

They’re saying 2012-era tumblr poo poo

That’s pretty spot on. I get the same general feel from this as the people making tumblr posts about white people speaking spanish being cultural appropriation.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Imagine an interaction with Piers Morgan where you look like a bigger rear end in a top hat than him?

https://twitter.com/DavidJBradley1/status/1254404684258914307?s=20

PJW shows up in the comments.

https://twitter.com/prisonplanet/status/1254439246158577668?s=21

I have a screen cap but imgur is being dumb, I’ll put more effort in if it gets taken down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Was it this thread talking about someones mom who went all jesus crazy one day and threw out his magic cards and stuff? I'm completely blanking on where that conversation went. I'm sorry this probably makes me the idiot of social media

Might have been in the past iteration of the thread?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

https://twitter.com/scottlucas/status/1255947077848166400?s=20

When you're enjoying a beautiful sunset over the ocean that's actually late capitalism. Also no island nations have culture or anything like that.

He works for loving buzzfeed and is talking about things having no purpose? :psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Definitely need to put this on and scroll his timeline :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uKxEoQQiSQ

Musk thinks he’s JC Denton but really he’s just an electronic old man.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

Amanda Palmer once tried to do a national tour and get local bands to open for her "for exposure."

I thought it was not paying her backing musicians, not the openers. Both are hosed but not paying her backing musicians feels even more ridiculous to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/lilmissagitated/status/1257409021553676288?s=19

Also, at least in English, none of the days of the week are named after planets.

The gently caress planet do they think Wednesday is named for?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Powered Descent posted:

The planet that the Romans (and we) named for Jupiter Mercury, the Norse named for Wodin.

e: Misremembered my ancient astronomy there

Huh, learn something new every day! Thanks for that bit of trivia!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Hell, in Judaism (and I assume in most other religions) it even allows breaking the laws if it means saving a life. Doctors can work on the Sabbath or you can eat non kosher food if you are starving to death etc.
Anyone that denies life saving treatment is just looking to be an idiot martyr

There’s an interesting case of that with a Hasidic ambulance service in NY that has non-Jewish drivers to drive the ambulance back from the hospital. They can drive to the scene and to the hospital, since a life is at risk (99 percent of the time not really, but technically sure), and they can drive to the hospital with the same reasoning, but once they’ve turned over the patient, no driving!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

1stGear posted:

I'd read an article that mentioned the "apocalyptic hellscape" we live in now.

The article was written in 2015

That made me mentally exhausted in a way I’m finding difficult to describe.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

T-man posted:

you'll feel the same about your covid activities when the real life zombie ultraebola takes over president joe arpaio's second term

My COVID activities make that sound like an improvement.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Handiklap posted:

I mean, don't hollow points mushroom and have fun times with your insides instead of going straight through? Considering the context, i'd guess it's a detail that indicates his interest in not just killing you, but making sure it hurts? Armor penetration isn't exactly a consideration with a loving grocery store security guard (though I guess they're all armed now, so a vest doesn't seem that off-brand).

The whole point is they’re less likely to overpenetrate and go through your target and hit someone else, and that the expansion means it does more damage to what you’re shooting. Both are important if you’re shooting to defend yourself, since if the situation is bad enough you’re shooting at someone you want the threat to end as soon as possible. They’re not made to be more painful or whatever. Problem is this guys a nutter who just wants to shoot someone.

Also they don’t have increased armor penetration, that’s weird 90’s media stuff misunderstanding certain rounds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

T-man posted:

aren't the tesla factories incredibly unsafe because he wanted weirdly painted machinery or whatever? i hope nobody morally allowable gets hurt. (as if he's ever gotten within 6' of machinery more dangerous than an iphone, natch)

Coronavirus is a recordable illness per OSHA if it’s reasonable to believe you got it at work so his safety numbers are gonna get a lot worse.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lord Awkward posted:

born in a cave
raised on a mountain
trucking and loving
for years beyond countin'

Next time I see the original scrawled somewhere I will be incredibly tempted to add this underneath.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GeekTheMage posted:

Get a load of this dork who's never eyeballed a beer

My mom used to open beer bottles with her eye socket, which is possibly the most horrifying party trick I’ve ever seen.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If your mask fogs your glasses, wear it higher on your nose and push your glasses down a bit more. It's obnoxious but it works.

Or get one of the half-mask ones for construction with the replaceable filter cartridges. You don’t need N95 filters on it but they’re great masks and don’t fog up. They have exhalation vents but they direct it all straight down.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Midnight Voyager posted:

Haha holy poo poo wait, is the person who died the one out of focus??? Oh my god

Yep. It’s the most transparent “make someone else’s sudden death about me” thing I’ve ever seen. Usually I just roll my eyes but holy hot drat this is above and beyond.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

I was thinking they were a hotep, seemed very "The white man has hosed up our culture!" kind of thing.

If they’re not a hotep themselves then the mention of them being “fully into every kind of conspiracy” makes me think they’ve spent enough time reading hotep stuff that they’ve absorbed a lot of their terminology.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, it's likely either this exactly, or so close as to be indistinguishable. It seems less Africa-centric and more indigenous-centric, though.

The mention of Babylon is totally an Africa-centric one, that’s a huge Rastafarian thing that doesn’t really have a native equivalent.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

All conspiracy theories sound crazy until they’re true

MKUltra is one of those things that makes you sound completely crazy if you talk about it but actually provably happened.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

nexus6 posted:

Didn't it happen but it didn't find anything? People don't usually mention that part.

You’re thinking of Project Blue Book, which was the aliens one. MKUltra was the CIA attempting mind control stuff, which did find out a lot of things. Little of it useful. Most of it was “if you dose people with LSD without their knowledge for weeks on end, they may jump out windows”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I mean, the dude looks like a 3rd-rate used cars salesman who is getting off on his fetish of putting tiny women in big cars.

God drat, I see that face he’s making and all I can think is “Seven. Six. Two. Millimeter. Full. Metal. Jacket.” He does realize the Kubrick Stare is supposed to look unstable, not super badass, right?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

:perfect:

You even got the lighting to match up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

What about all the people that the guy who caught it from a handshake breathes near? Jesus what a god drat idiot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hyperhazard posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, on top of it being an incredibly stupid take, over a dozen states still have laws against sodomy. And a handful of them specify that, yes, by "sodomy" they mean same-sex intercourse.

Lawrence v Texas struck those down. They remain on the books but aren’t actually in effect, it’s fairly rare for states to go back and repeal unconstitutional laws. A ton still have flag burning laws on the books and there’s been two cases about those saying they’re not valid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Volcott posted:

Apropos of nothing, anyone ever seen a ring with an amber (not setting, that's the wrong word)? That seems like it'd be pretty cool.

Isn’t amber waaay too soft for rings? I think opal is the same way. You’d end up having it be completely destroyed before long.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I will die on this hill that is at least 15 but preferably 20 or more.

Even before the pandemic if it was something like a diner I went to all the time I’d tip either 33 percent or five bucks, whichever was more. Always had my favorite table waiting for me after my night shift.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unperson_47 posted:

Also sometimes the owner demands a cut of the tips.

This is super illegal and if anyone reading this is ever in a position where this happens, file a claim with the department of labor. Wage theft is one of those things where they absolutely come down hard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Peanut Butler posted:

tipping is bad and has its origins in post-civil war methods of making sure black people didn't get paid as much, if at all

Post civil-war places like... 17th century London. Hell, even the word “tip” in the sense of giving a gratuity to is traced back to the 1750’s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

I don't recognise it but I assume it's from a Heated Gamer Moment™?

From the Heated Gaming Moment.