Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

this is a lie

this is not doom music at all :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

It's a commentary on how the poster thinks "men working" is gendered language and reflects the larger trend of inherent problems in professions like this where women are made to feel excluded or unwelcome.

It should be noted that the original tweet is from an actual social sciences professor working in the field of women and work so she's probably aware of all the research that actually shows language like that making women feel excluded from those professions. Calling out some random worker isn't going to make change, but all the people trying to dunk on her for caring about a sign are idiots too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MizPiz posted:

There's a mindset academics can fall into called "being up your own rear end" that causes them to lose perspective on everything that isn't specifically related to the field they study. Just because you're smart doesn't mean you're not an idiot.

That's what I mean. This is the field she studies. This kind of thing is well established in social studies and feminist academia. She just didn't apply it well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

oh for gently caress's sake naomi wolf? you too?

e: nevermind I'm getting her confused with naomi klein, who is less stupid overall. beauty myth can still be good with 5g being way out of her area of study, but that would be a big bummer if naomi klein was that stupid.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'll be honest, I was expecting Q.

That IS Q, it just doesn’t directly name check it. President code and the international child trafficking stuff is all Q playbook craziness.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

Sounds like a Brent to me.

Definitely a Brent.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Tanner is the entitled, rear end in a top hat white dude name i associate with the kind of dickhead to throw a fit at a burger king counter about "the un-loving-believable SERVICE here!"

Look you might be right but we can’t take one of the like seven names trans men have away from them, that would be cruel

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are no remaining Garys under 35.

gary oak is 33 https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gary_Oak

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

if you read the stage notes for Macbeth you'll be amused to find that it calls specifically for "John's Goode wine" to be used in all meal scenes, label out

Not specifically in Shakespeare but you do see references like that in other literature and it only gets stronger heading into the Victorians. If I remember my Chaucer correctly he drops a couple favourite inns during the Canterbury Tales.

Again: all our literature really is just dime novels, it’s just OLD dime novels so it feels more important.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I think someone got confused about how blood flows to the vagina and it gets flushed/the clitoris being comparable to erectile tissue, not that someone's vagina (let alone their vulva) gets hard

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

On the bright side, maybe Slayer will finally gently caress off forever

Sadly the coronavirus missed and almost took out Testament, Death Angel, and Exodus all at once. loving A that would have sucked.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

Jeez, two broken hearts in the space of one damp Philly morning. That's rough.

Yeah Gritty just can’t find enough to eat these days. :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Biplane posted:

I feel bad for laughing but holy poo poo this was funny.

don't worry, I know Sophia, she'd understand

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Biplane posted:

Decorum rules are terrible and lovely though.

It’s not a decorum rule. It’s a “life is globally lovely right now and maybe my own forum can not make me blow a blood vessel and just be a cute cat pictures forum so I can escape a bit and you can too?” rule from LaB which is pretty reasonable IMO

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boywhiz88 posted:

I remember when people would get up in arms about “Lottery of Babylon” posts, thinking they were legit and not realizing the gimmick. Is that much different then a “kill all cis-men?” post from T-Man, if they don’t like it, then don’t report it?

It’s LAB’s call and the forums aren’t a democracy or anything. I just don’t understand why anything specific is being called out, especially so generally that a lot of people are like “uhhhhh.” I’ve been following IOSM for probably 5-6 years, and it’s never been a problem before. I feel like some of this is people taking those comments too personally. V much a “Not ALL men!” reaction.

It’s not just IOSM. The actual breaking point was Forums Sagas getting really QCS/C-SPAM, which is partially my fault.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bony tony posted:

In these people's minds, millennials are forever thirteen years old, sitting in their parents' minivan and yelling about Gogurt.

Look gogurt got me a cum fetish so yes I am still yelling about its creamy sweet and salty goopy goodness

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

seiferguy posted:

If you were never told about the virus, you never would have noticed it existed :thunk:

also who the gently caress is still only watching tv news

anyone who's not in a nursing home and a lot who are are at least looking at facebook

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jjack229 posted:

If the contact with strangers while grocery shopping is the same as the contact with a partner during sex, then I am doing at least one of those two things wrong.

As a grocery store clerk strangers are definitely getting really intimate and putting their fluids all over me until they get what they want and leave, so yeah it’s pretty similar.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

I was trying to figure out what this lady was on about and... is she just making GBS threads on Chrissy Teigen and Marie Kondo for being successful? And then saying she's NOT doing that, she just doesn't think it's a thing she'd do (while implicitly saying they are worse for being that successful) and now people are being meeeean to her about it?

she's specifically going after them for selling product lines, merchandise, etc instead of just the media they made their names for. it's a valid complaint for Marie Kondo, because buying Marie Kondo branded poo poo makes absolutely no loving sense when you read the book which is all about not buying poo poo just for the purpose of having more poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dixville posted:

Netflix is not the idiot

likes for gay satan

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm not surprised that the well-meaning career public servants in a commission like that are going slowly insane right now as they try to figure out how best to ensure the basic safety of an increasingly absurdly stupid and defiant American public. The CPSC is definitely the kind of place Trump would be attacking as part of the "deep state" because they care about safety and consumer rights, not business profits.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Hollowpoints are better for defensive use because they are less likely to exit the person you shoot and kill your neighbors. Cheap hollowpoints won't expand properly, so they'll act like FMJ and are more dangerous to neighbors/family members/bystanders in a defensive shooting.

Hornady also isn't especially pricey for defensive ammo, it's pretty middle of the road.

I never expected someone to actually embody that Taylor Swift lyric. :allears:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

It's extremely cool how they just edited out the punchline of the joke to make their point

So what is the punchline then

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

okay that's literally the one thing that could redeem that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
your people are kpop idols? I guess it makes sense, they are modern indentured slaves after all

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inceltown posted:

She looks like someone wished real hard for Reese Witherspoon's character in Legally Blonde to come to life.

and the problem with this is

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah why do you think the unicorns couldn't fit on it and died?

because he was too busy loving his brother's wife

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Yeah, so you'd have, like idk, an article about how awesome an almond milk brand was, because of their clever marketing. If you'd dare suggest in the comments:

"Almond farming is actually terrible for the environment, and you should consider alternate choices like oat milk; here's some actual factual sourcing on that" [link]

If it offended the authors/mods (or simply went against their pet brands/projects) it would show up as:

"lmnd frming s ctlly trrbl fr th nvrnmnt, nd y shld cnsdr ltrnt chcs lk t mlk; hr's sm ctl fctl srcng n tht" [link totally omitted]

Free speech, indeed. There was also a big blowout about Xeni "un-publishing" a bunch of posts by a woman who they had a personal falling-out with around that time.

chidi stop trolling comments sections

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dreamin of semen posted:

Holy lmao I just went to look up the episode cos I thought it was the same episode as the one with The Internet (it's not, but it does feature The Internet in it) and this was on the IMDB trivia page

Been a while since I saw those movies but I'm not sure I recall any flat shots of trans women being punched through drywall while a laugh track plays

It also doesn't help that Matt Berry's character was probably the most absurd, insane weirdo on the show, so when he starts wailing on a woman there's a bit of like... expectation going into it that the character will do incredibly stupid, horrible things. Kinda like an Always Sunny character, except the writer is a giant shithead, instead of a decent person writing giant shitheads.

Put me in the camp of not realizing how hosed it actually was until a rewatch. I saw it when it came out, when I was about 16-17, and thought barely anything of it, but rewatching it at like 23, after starting HRT, it was loving stunning how messed up and uncomfortable the whole thing was.

It IS the one where Jen takes The Internet to a presentation and breaks it, the horror of which is only interrupted by Matt Berry punching April through the wall and into Jen's presentation. Which is honestly a lot of the reason why it SUCKS; the b-plot is so good, but you can't even separate it from that horrible transmisogynistic a-plot because they share a climax!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, as a (incredibly) bi woman in an almost four-year relationship with a (99%) straight dude, I assumed this too.

For content, is anybody interested in a quick write-up of some weirdo Taylor Swift fans on Tumblr that are convinced that she is secretly gay and married to her friend, model Karlie Kloss? Because there is a whole-rear end community of these weirdos and it's SOMETHING.

I was rooting for this to be at least partially true and then Kloss got married to a Kushner and turned out to be an incredibly privileged white bitch in like six months, which is super disappointing.

Oh, for sure! It's just...kind of blatant that it's not from any real political ideology, it's because he's "keeping them apart" or whatever.

I just checked since I hadn't looked into this drama since mid-March, and the "Kaylors" are now beefing with "Swiftgrons"...apparently another faction believes that Swift is secretly dating Diana Agron from Glee, who I believe is married to a man but came out as bi a while ago. Truly a sign of the human condition at large. :colbert:

Reality TV show editing or not, there's definitely something weird going on there politically: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/01/karlie-kloss-dinner-with-the-kushners It was a minor meme at the beginning of this year, aka forever ago.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 02:20 on May 28, 2020

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I literally just found this and was about to post it, good thing I refreshed. That's incredibly awkward, although hilarious. That contestant either made a completely innocent remark/joke without knowing it would set her off....or he knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

I'm curious, how DO chuds view the Kushner dad (the criminal one)? I don't see them mention him much. Is he cool because he did crimes and is the in-law of their Aryan princess (aka also a Republican)? Or do they hate him because he did crimes and had a Democrat son too?

That’s the thing that gets me too. Karlie works in fashion, which is an incredibly left-wing, queer industry. Like marrying into Kushners and Trumps, shady business magnates is whatever. But having Ivanka and Jared as siblings in law when they’re in the government working on policy to exile and kill the kinds of people you work with? Accept that you’re going to get a ton of criticism.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Turpitude II posted:

out of curiosity: how come?

Honestly, as a queer woman, it was just nice to think that two famous, mainstream popular reasonably-okay women were possibly in a relationship with each other. The thing to understand is that Taylor and Karlie very much were best best friends to the point where they'd have a bunch of stuff going on together that is genuinely what lesbians have traditionally done to hide being in an actual relationship (living in two apartments next to each other, spending months without seeing anyone else, so forth and so on), so it was really actually up in the air about the exact meaning of what was going on. Add on Taylor's rocky road with boyfriends and it was a reasonable thing to question internally as queer people do (this kind of speculation goes on all the time).

The issue with the absurd fanatic fangirls is the poo poo about calling their boyfriends/husbands prisoners of war, which I never got into. Like, who knows? Maybe they had a thing, broke it off, and went somewhere else. Maybe they are just really close friends platonically. It's not loving queerbaiting, because these are real people living their real lives, not scripted poo poo; and even if it's fun to hope for and fantasize about, your ideas don't mean those real people don't get to make their own decisions and have their own ideas.

And again, Karlie turned out to be a privileged white bitch in the end anyway, so gently caress that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nicola Spurling is a good Canadian trans activist who is absolutely in the right to be making these accusations not just as a Twitter own, FYI.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Guy's even got the fake roman vs for us to be even more fuckin pretentious, lol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

as a descendant of a ringleader of the easter rebellion: this is bullshit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

There's an evergreen tweet about this exact thing

I have, it comes in a four-pack :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They said "racialized" instead of "racist" (or even just "racial") I guess.

Yeah that's kinda dumb but it's not nearly as dumb as a dude kneeling nude in a glamor shot.

Racialized is correct language, it's just very academic, coming from critical race theory. It means that the communities are becoming identifiable as belonging to people of race (ie, Black or people of colour), because of the surveillance, redlining, and other efforts that ghettoize them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

goblin week posted:

I agree that I was not ready.

yeah what the absolute gently caress

the harry potter reference is just the icing on the cake

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Like I know it’s not perfect but jesus can the lady just read some Anne fausto-sterling and be done with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

please?