Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
love 2 demonize the terrifying brown hordes to protect our women and children while never uttering a word against ideologically aligned child rapists such as the president of the us of a

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Apr 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nobody actually sees themselves as a villain. Trump doesn't go "neener neener I'm letting people die and rigging the system in my favor and nobody can do anything about it," he just bitches about being a victim whenever people expect him to be accountable to his position. An actual unapologetic villain I could at least respect for being honest, but the bad guys are bigger hypocrites if anything.

5G radiation does border on microwave radiation. It could theoretically cause irritated skin, assuming you get a harmful dose, which you might get if you spent time inside a cell tower. This hasn't been clinically disproven (last I checked), and is the worst case scenario. It's definitively nowhere near as dangerous as things like sunshine or breathing air that a car has been near.

Plus, those borderline frequencies are already reserved for satellites and airplanes, and using them for other transmissions has been straight up illegal in most countries since long before anyone ever suggested 5G phones.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
so much for the tolerant left

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Memento posted:

he got addicted to benzodiazepan and instead of coming off it in a controlled environment, he went to a private hospital in Russia where they put him in a coma for 6 days, making him go cold turkey and giving him irreparable brain damage

You're getting two events mixed up. First, he decided to quit cold turkey and had a complete breakdown. People saw him speak at that time, and he claims it was his decision. Then his daughter posted on his twitter or whatever that he had gone to a Russian private clinic to be put in a medical coma, after which she's taken charge of the business. The latter could be a conscious decision on his part to ease back into being a nazi self-help guru, or his daughter could have subsumed the grift and is parading around his empty husk, Weekend at Bernie's style. I've seen no definite evidence either way, but the latter does make for a more compelling story.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Picnic Princess posted:

Just LOL if you look at the events of human history and think for one second that everything terrible that's ever happened wasn't caused by emotional breakdowns by men in power.

I was gonna make a sassy counterpoint, but the only thing that comes to mind is natural disasters. And that's only if you're not religious.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've no idea where I read it, but my first techbro invention experience was a gushing retrospective of how they came up with the idea of taxes, because they spent so long talking about every single step of the way, from figuring out how to do group purchases, to the idea of a communal chest that everyone paid into, to their astonishing brilliance in realizing that okaying each purchase was a hassle and a half, so they eventually came up with electing represantives who had the authority to decide how to spend the money in the communal chest.

I can sort of comprehend being so sheltered that you've never heard of buses, vending machines or communal living, but I've no idea what their excuse was. Even tax dodgers are keenly aware that they're expected to share and just refuse to.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Who exactly is running the verified @israel account? Some government intern? Bibi himself? His extremely online failson? None of the answers would surprise me, but I'm curious as to the specifics.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have a friend who, on at least two separate occasions, has been propositioned by men who wanted him to findom them. I’ve got the impression that it’s the kind of business where actively trolling for clients puts you in about the same boat as someone trying to break into the twitch streaming scene.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PetraCore posted:

I just think it's possible to discuss male victimization in a feminist manner - for example, the idea that men can't be hurt by women because women are small and weak is very patriarchal, as is the fact that both men and women struggle to report because of how being abused is seen as a moral and physical failing. It doesn't have to be a conversation about who 'deserves' limited resources because we can all be on the same side of survivors deserving protection from abusers.

The narrative of it simply as a gender dynanic also ignores intersectionality, tbh.

Any effort to draw attention to male victimization is feminist, except the zero-sum kind that does so by minimizing female victims.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Skwirl posted:

Future member of Estranged Parents message boards. I don't even like Minecraft and I get how hosed that is. It's not locking away some toys for a set amount of time, that's destroying their toy in front of them.

Not even destroying a toy, destroying their work. A year's worth, to a nine-year-old. Whatever lesson she's trying to impart, all she's telling that kid is that he should never produce or cherish anything, because Mother can make it go away.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I looked it up, and reddit was basically unanimous in their condemnation, including points like the above post about kids needing more sleep at that age, pointers about how to actually parent a child at that age, and offering help in restoring the file.

I'm not an AITA connoisseur, but from the stories I've looked up, they seem to be on the mark when the poster is the rear end in a top hat.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can also just laugh at the idea that Shadow over Innsmouth and the mounting, mind-shattering horror present in that book, was the only thing Lovecraft could think of after learning that he had a fuckin Welsh ancestor. That's, all other aspects aside, hilarious.

Lovecraft's racism was so blatant that you can't not revel in its absurdity. Like that one Sartre quote about anti-Semitism goons are always posting, you've already lost if you're trying to engage bigots on their level, but Lovecraft takes racism to its natural conclusion and shows that it is, definitively, ridiculous.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Agents are GO! posted:

How is that pronounced? Is it æ?

It is, perhaps unsurprisingly, a sound between "a" and "e."

This can mean either the "ai" diphthong, or the sound occupying the middle position between a and e. The vocalization for a has the tongue at the bottom of the mouth, while e has it between top set of molars. The monophtong version of æ is the sound produced with the tongue halfway between those positions.

There is evidence of both versions being used by the Romans, but Scandinavians exclusively use the latter because we're not savages who think that standalone vowels should be used as diphthongs. :colbert:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also rich druggie problems: you tweet some dumb poo poo while high and you company’s stocks tank. This won’t affect your personally, but people are mad at you online and you have very thin skin due to being raised on blood diamond money.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm trying but it just keeps coming out as ar. Encyclopardia. Pardiotrician.

Sounds like you’re curling your tongue too far down. It’s much closer to the “eh” sound in words like egg.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lmfao literally demanding a cookie for having pretended to be feminist in the past

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Reminder that Bush also believed that poo poo and thought he was destined to invade Iraq.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Aggro posted:

Hating communism and Nazism, ignoring that a significant portion of World War II was communists fighting Nazis.

Hating both fascism AND Antifa because, uh?

And of course, being a white supremacist without a shred of self-awareness.

Those three tend to go together. "Antifa are the actual nazis" is a very common refrain among a certain group of people.

chitoryu12 posted:

Reminder that Peter Sweden is the guy who took a camera and breathlessly ran through the "no-go zones" of Stockholm where all the Muslim immigrants lived, claiming that all the people staring at him like he was a weirdo were "gang lookouts."

That's always been my go to example for trying to understand how a nazi thinks. Just looking at a calm street with mothers walking around with kids in strollers, kids riding past on bicycles, and dudes haggling over oranges or whatever, and being absolutely convinced that every one of these brown people are out to kill you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

trickybiscuits posted:

The thing that gets me about calling people "sheep" is that sheep follow each other because it's safer. The sheep that goes off on its own is the one that gets attacked by a predator. I like sheep, there's evidence that they can be surprisingly intelligent, and it pisses me off to see idiots insulting them.

I agree wholeheartedly, but what really gets me is that her big cutting bon mot is “way to be a shepherd,” directed at her own pastor. I’m no theologian, but I’m pretty sure that only speaks to her priorities about conspiracy theories vs. her religion.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Checked the responses, and it's just people gently explaining to her while she copy-pastes a dumb "sex is immutable" reply to everyone. It's bait where the "gotcha" is that she is deliberately misunderstanding what everyone is saying to make a completely irrelevant and also wrong point.

I have no idea what her endgame is.

E: Obviously her end-endgame is scoring brownie points with transphobes and making trans people illegal, but with this specific tweet, I mean.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 13:28 on May 20, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never had a bad brussels sprout. Possibly only because they were outside my parents' repertoire and I've only had them as an adult.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

They're the ones meandering about public spaces in a herd, bleating incomprehensibly and desperate for someone else to cut their hair. :v:

Nice.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Whatever you think Glinner thinks he's saying, it's probably something even stupider, like "if two trans women are dating they're actually just gay men in denial gotcha"

d3lness posted:

That distinction is fairly common. Lots of people believe in something, but draw that line at having to essential swear fealty to an organization. Considering how hosed up so many religious organizations are I can't say I'm surprised. Hell, I was in that boat myself for the longest time until I finally slid into agnosticism.

Otoh you have a whole crowd of irredeemable piles of human filth who refuse to acknowledge their lovely ways and claim to have some sort of faith without having to actually put any effort in.

I met a guy who argued that Protestantism was the only proper religion on these grounds, that being a proper protestant required you to engage with a philosophical framework and reflect on your self and your actions, while others will just let you coast right on through with a proclamation of faith. I'd have loved to probe deeper into that statement, but I was engrossed in a different conversation at the time, and also because I feel weird digging into matters of religion, as it's something in which I have no personal experience.

I kind of had the opposite experience as the one of people identifying as spiritual; I've never believed in anything that could be considered spiritual, but I've also been uncomfortable with the label of atheist because of the kind of people championing it. Then I realized you didn't have to be either, and now I consider myself a materialist.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That was the exact image I had as well, and I'm curious if I'm just misrepresenting him because he otherwise came off as an intelligent, introspective dude.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Guilty posted:

Glinner is 100% wrong a complete piece of poo poo. That being said, one of the world's leading queer theorists Michel Foucault tried to make a case that gay desires were rooted in trans bodies in his critique of Zambinella. It's only in fairly recent writings (say post 1990's) that are arguing for a theory of trans people existing independently of homo/hetero divide. Emma Heaney's New Woman was published in 2017.

That being said, I'm a thousand percent sure Foucault would re-evaluate his writings as all good theorists do as new information comes up and if a 90 year old grandmother could change her thinking and beliefs because she's grown smarter, anyone can.

Glinner is 100% wrong and a complete piece of poo poo.

I'm not sure if you're claiming otherwise, but writings on trans people date back to at least the turn of the 20th century. Berlin had a burgeoning trans acceptance movement rooted in the Institut für Sexualwissenschaft in the wake of World War I, which even carried out sexual reassignment surgeries, but which ended rather abrubtly in the 40s. None of the research carried out there survived, but I suspect the idea that being trans and being gay were unrelated had been put to paper somewhere.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you want Q Anon for Taylor Swift, there was also a big thing in all the white supremacist forums where they were convinced that she was a secret nazi, entirely on the grounds that she's never explicitly said otherwise, and presumably because of all the winks and nudges people looking for conspiracies always manage to find. It kind of petered out when she endorsed Hillary and blasted Trump in 2016, but it was very much a thing.

I'm sure most any celebrity has at least one following of internet broke brains deep in some bizzarre rabbit hole.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ambitious Spider posted:

Iirc she never endorsed Hillary and didn’t come out as liberal or whatever until 2018 expressing regret she never endorsed Hillary. A lot of it was how she was a secret 4chan regular

My timeline did feel off, but I couldn't put my finger on why. My mistake!

I'd never even seen the secret chan stuff, but I am not surprised.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

wizzardstaff posted:

wait, gently caress, this is going to be about how trans people are the real oppressors, isn't it

Well, let's hear from the author before we jump to conclusions:

https://twitter.com/ryanjohnbutcher/status/1266393899351846913

E: Apparently, the quote in question refers to Tara Wolf, and she was not misgendered in the original source. The quote was edited for the express purpose of misgendering a trans woman, in case you thought there could be any non-TERF reason for tweeting that.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 22:39 on May 29, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

A lot of people seem hung up on the cowardice angle, but that’s got nothing to do with it. White people don’t get as angry as minorities when the cops kill one of their own because the cops who kill the white people are mostly also white people, there isn’t a pattern of cops killing white people out of proportion to their numbers during what should be routine encounters, and the cops who kill white people are at least sometimes arrested for it without the white people having to burn down all the businesses in their suburbs.

I don't know about these specific cases, but back during the Trayvon Martin case there were a lot of people bringing up similar stories, where they left out the very minor detail that the murderers in those cases were immediately arrested and found guilty of murder. There was even one story that chose not to gloss over this, but instead was incensed that the murderer was not given the death penalty, and thought it was somehow equivalent.

Zulily Zoetrope has a new favorite as of 13:33 on May 31, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Javert will never not be Norm Lewis to me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If there was an actual deep state running this, why would they want to depose Trump? If you had even a tenth of their supposed capital, you could pass literally anything by running it on Fox News and telling Trump he’s a smart and good president. Or if you wanna be real sneaky, tell him the fake news are against whatever you want him to do.

Wanna put 5g autism chips in the population? Have Fox News put CNN or whoever on blast for being against these very stable and good vaccines. Want martial law? Tell him all the blacks and antifas are coming to kill him and also they called him a bitchmade baby when he tried to hide.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's a play on sarcophagus, a word which also contains the syllable in question.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yes? What has happened in the last four years (decades) that would lead you to believe chuds want anything other than to kill all the minorities and people who think maybe we shouldn't oppress them quite so much?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
E: Fair enough

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Causes of division: acknowledging oppression, taking action to reduce oppression

Not a cause of division: oppression

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I reject his notion of non-violent protest on the grounds that reading that caused me physical harm.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've worked at places where we get shoplifted and I'm not so much terrified as not compensated enough to give a flying gently caress and probably hate management more than petty thieves.

Also restaurants where everyone steals food constantly back of house because again, why the gently caress would we care when we make 7.25 and can get a new equally poo poo job tomorrow and management is (literally in one case) snorting coke in the office while we bust rear end?

I had a girlfriend who told me that she once got scolded by management for yelling at someone who ran off with an entire cart of goods, because putting herself at risk of a confrontation was not worth any amount of stolen items. That's like the lowest possible bar to clear, and I'm contiously baffled at the amount of workplaces who don't even manage that.

E: I'm the insanely utopic ideals of guaranteed health care, food and housing.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only had one interaction with police, and it was when I'd called 911 after witnessing an assault, on a crowded street in broad daylight. They showed up a minute before the ambulance, cleared a path, checked on the victim and cordoned off the area. They took everyone's statement, and told me to just go home, relax, try to shake it off, and then handed me a phone number and said I was entitled to six free hours of trauma counseling if I needed it. Later, I went to testify at the trial, and learned that the victim was a trans woman and I had witnessed a hate crime.

I've no illusions that most encounters with the police go a lot worse, and I'm not sharing the story to defend them. I guess I'm just now realizing I've never actually shared it with anyone and it's a reminder to me why it's important to tell TERFs that they are the enemy every chance you get. Even cops do more good than they.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Cops, I've always assumed. "On the force" is a common euphemism for being employed by the police.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

T-man posted:

Original and modern meaning of incel.

What original meaning are you going by here? I was under the impression that the original incels wanted nothing more than to meet lesbians, before the term was appropriated by categorically unlovable men.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have probably spent several hundred hours playing Dwarf Fortress in my youth, and I am just now realizing I have never actually paid Toady anything because he made it free the entire time I did. Thanks for the reminder, random Steam nazi, I'll be sure to remedy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I spent my formative years chiefly with the works of Sir Terry Pratchett, who I'm pretty sure was never revealed to actually be a horrible person. He also introduced a trans character to the Discworld continuity, who I just now realized first appeared 25 years ago.