Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wait until he finds out about his phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
America has finally ascended to the plain we always deserved.

Where we just stop pretending a good economy is used for people instead of itself

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They are actively pretending they never brought up Kavs accusations going so far as deleting old tweets that mention it.

The dem primary is breaking libs hard

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ilmucche posted:

He's hosed though right?

Most of my left leaning friends have been completely broken politically since 2016, either brexit or the us election. A lot of this forum too.

Yeah but it broke leftist into either being mad or hopelessly depressed.

I don’t know what libs are becoming.

Conservatives who don’t hate gays as much I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

InediblePenguin posted:

isn't that what they have always been

I mean yeah but before they apwould support the occasional good thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ummm I don’t think it’s purity if the people you are asked to work with support literally nothing you do.

Which is kind of a Biden’s whole brand.

It’s also why this election is breaking so many libs they are effortlessly sliding right going so far as abandon the few good positions they had.

Like rape is bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The problem with the hypocrite is they can knife you at a time when their support is crucial and you won’t see it coming.

You can at least rely on the fact the villian is opposing you and plan accordingly

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Michael is openly stumping for Biden now so I guess he has just stopped pretending at this point

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s sad to see how much Bors sucks now.

He used to be okay

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also Warren is awful human being who cares more about using whatever necessary as a stepping stone to power including Native Americans and left wing politics.

The fact that she has any defenders is the biggest indictment of American politics

She is literally the Justin Trudeau of America I guess

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That and the fact she took money from a conservative Superpac despite pledging to never do so. Then dropping out once that superpac dropped her

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Isn’t that already what this thread is mostly

What would change

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That poor manager

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

Also, again, it says something that the internet can conjure up a dismissive nickname like Karen or BBQ Becky or whatever after a single incident and have it spread across the web on memes in days, but you get twitter and this thread arguing option after option for a male equivalent and it'll never be settled. Like nobody's out here calling racist men Christophers after the dude who called the cops on his black neighbor for daring to exist in the building while his son begged him not to. They just call him an rear end in a top hat.

I mean I get it, you wanna call out the white privileged ladies who abuse that privilege and Karen is a very boomer-era name that not a lot of millenials or zoomers will have so it's a fairly "safe" target to become the placeholder for annoying entitled customers but, the internet being what it is, it's just a matter of time before it just becomes another term for "difficult woman," like we needed more of that. It doesn't mean everyone who uses it is a misogynist, but it is one of those internet things.

This doesn’t really make sense unless you think Karen or Becky are like more feminine than other names? I don’t know this is a stretch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

They're women's names. That's my point. The internet can get together and pick a name and go with it when it's a woman's name. When it's trying to do the same for men, it generally can't settle in one unless it's incels who do that for everything or apparently Kyle, which I've never heard of till now but I'm not super plugged in to the meme scene.

Again, I'm not saying anyone who uses these slang names is a bad person, I get it. Karen is a Boomer name and so the younger folks making these jokes can relate it to a teacher/parent/aunt/whatever they knew as a kid and conjure an image of a whiny, entitled customer. but just look at this thread, nobody can settle on a male version and one poster even felt sorry for men who share a name irl with the hypothetical meme.

You didn’t really clarify your point.

If the issue is they are women’s names then being laser focused on a particular name doesn’t matter in the slightest unless you believe Karen is somehow feminine than other names

Like I said a stretch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

I'm not saying Karen is a more feminine name. I'm saying that people had a really easy time agreeing on how to stereotype specific kind of women and nobody needed a Twitter poll to agree on it. It's not the name. It's the fact that, culturally, it's way easier for folks to make female stereotypes like these into long lived memes than male ones.

E: like, use the Karen slang if you really want to, I'm not trying to stop you

I know your not that’s my point your argument is flailing without any seeming ability to form a coherent point.

It’s just the negative woke stereotype as far as I can see

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Dienes posted:

I think their argument is that the Karen meme is ultimately about a white person abusing privilege. We created a meme that attacks white women for that lovely behavior, but white men, who have even more privilege, and engage in this lovely behavior even more often, don't have an equivalent meme pointing that out. The misogyny is how quickly and easily women were attacked when men engage in the same behavior at an even greater level.

I mean the equivalent would be cletus but they aren’t really comparable because the anger ultimately doesn’t manifest the same way in women and men.

People make fun of rednecks though they are more violent in nature which I guess throws people off but it’s fundamentally the same idea

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Look believe women doesn’t mean we should like think they are telling the truth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Anything can be weaponized so it’s not a terribly compelling argument.

Though lol comparing it to the Chris rock bit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

there wolf posted:

So we've finally worked ourselves around to the usual IOSM resolution to all social justice arguments: the people who brought up the issue are exactly right, but I'm still going to act like they're being crazy and unreasonable. :smug:

What no they aren’t.

Why would you completely ignore my argument.

My whole point is saying something is bad because it could be bad in some other hypothetical is stupid.

It’s the technically correct argument.

Though I will admit I’m not acting like it’s crazy and unreasonable.

It is crazy and unreasonable.

In the future if your gonna smug your way into an argument at least read it first or something

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I kind of know what an onlyfans account is but the amount of meltdowns it creates is impressive

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair to be a centralist you would have to believe the center is inherently correct and the actual issue doesn’t actually matter

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wait she hates working class and well of liberals.

Who does she like?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I hate how that is formatted

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Arguments like Scorsese's are from people who hate it when people have a good time

They are fine with it as long as you are having fun the right way.

Which to be fair a lot of people act that way.

Say you like pop music and a bunch of neck beards are going to be on your rear end.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Really a lot of writing we hold up as the pinnacle of western writing was the dime store trash of its day.

Which makes sense as dime store trash is what civilization is all about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Ant Man 2 is basically the War and Peace of modern times.

Hey at least Ant man 2 knew when to loving end

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Though I do look forward to Ant Man 2 becoming the work people talk up without ever actually reading it, fully taking WP gimmick

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If there is one thing goons Love is mocking things they 100% believe

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean making fun of comic books is kind of steeped in classism at this point.

Considering comic books are main stream pop culture now.

Though generally most pop culture criticism especially online is steeped in classism

So the making fun of classism never really stopped

CharlestheHammer has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Apr 10, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

the movies themselves and the people who get mad are fair game

just don't go making fun of ~the type of people~ who watch them

Hmmm. This is fair

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Super hero movies are just westerns basically.

They so they will age fine and people will be nostalgic for them unlike whatever is popular then which is of course garbage

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean I think there is some evidence to suggest this is the daughters fault.

There is also a chance she is weekend at Bernies him to get on that sweet grift

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah there is no reason to think testing would create a turning point.

It’s like the now weekly the curve is flattening guys. Which news corps have been pumping out.

It’s dangerous nonesense that’s based more on hope than anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fair I think that was rhetorical.

It’s like comparing godfather and Die hard.

Both good movies but it would be weird to compare them

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Note they apparently removed that last line from the story

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The federalist arguing for centralized control is one of the funnier bullshit out there

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like the use of muppet as an insult.

It sounds incredibly British

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well yeah but that’s how it it goes for any wealthy person.

It’s extremely hard to go broke unless you are legendarily bad with money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why would you review bomb 76 no one likes that game anyway