Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yikes what a beta move, you hate to see it folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

there wolf posted:

The Political Cartoon thread was kind enough to dig up this really good cartoon about it and other neo-fascist symbols and signs in the post-9-11 word.

About Face

I know it's not the main thrust of the article but I'd be interested in seeing a source for the Jolly Roger being used primarily by privateers. I was under the impression that pirates flew it specifically to distinguish themselves from privateers and government ships--as the latter were expected to show quarter to surrendering enemies even if they had been resisting and pirates very much were not--so you'd better just be safe and just hand over your poo poo right from the start.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

That sounds right to me.

When I was a kid, my family often took camping trips to the Outer Banks, so I have a particular fondness for Blackbeard's flag:

This whole discussion sent me on a whirlwind of looking up pirate stuff, and apparently that flag design might actually be a 20th century anachronism. At least this page claims that it's earliest appearance was in a book from 1912, whereas an illustration from a 1736 reprinting of A General History of the Pyrates shows his ship with the more traditional skull and bones.

https://www.qaronline.org/blog/2017-10-06/did-you-know-blackbeards-flag

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Skwirl posted:

If you're shooting digital (which 99.999% of photos you see online are) you can adjust exposure between each shot and have at least a decent idea of how it looks and the moon doesn't move very quickly, so you can take your time adjusting that.

Well, actually the moon is moving at about 2,300 MPH

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

T-man posted:

Actually everything is moving at an unknown rate from the epicenter of the big bang so we don't know how quickly i was speeding in certain frames of reference, officer.

If NDT hasn’t used this argument to try and get out of a speeding ticket he is a fraud.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

This happened to a buddy of mine once. She’s doing a reverse Jane Eyre. It’s a tricky play, not many people can pull it off,

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Can’t say I enjoy it when anyone gets brain damage, but this was also an outcome entirely of his own making. I hope he recovers function and comes out of this with a greater sense of empathy for the people around him. Otherwise I hope he finds contentment with his lot, and does not suffer greatly.

Above all, I would like him to stop doing harm, leading others to ruin, and making the world that much worse.

And that’s about all I have to say on that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

letthereberock posted:

If you guys get Jumpman Junior I’m gonna kill myself.

You think you have it bad? They call me the Phillips CD-i kid.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

sugar mouse posted:

But yeah, I'm a massive arsehole when it suits me.

It doesn’t.

Or rather it does, but there’s some hypothetical version of you out there that’s less of a dick and it would probably be cool if the two of you met sometime.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I wish you'd take a vacation from showing your rear end and being a prick.

It’s an essential business

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

hyperhazard posted:

-Woman posts that her husband just died. Gets thousands of likes, because he was a "doctor on the front lines."
-Someone pulls her posts from 2 months ago, where she was talking about the anniversary of the death of her husband.
-Someone else pulls her thirsty comments from March.

I guess a generous reading would be that her 1st husband died a while ago, she remarried, and the 2nd husband just died. But Occam's razor and all.

Overly generous, considering he was allegedly alive as of November

https://twitter.com/centristrn/status/1249816352447254531?s=21

Why I think it might all be fake!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Push El Burrito posted:

It's a made up name she uses. Her given name is "Kent State Gun Girl".

The Girl Who Shat Herself

Not Mamoru Hosada’s best film, mind you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tenebrais posted:

Also the racism. The sort of people that are big fans of the royal family are also the sort to care deeply that a part of it is black now. It's barely concealed at best.

Between the British media killing his mom and harassing his wife, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was the one that wanted to leave

MizPiz posted:

Says a lot about a family that the most likeable member is someone who's worn full nazi regalia on more than one occassion

He’s probably just the only one that got caught

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's pretty normal for a baby or toddler.

lmao what is it a school night? loving losers

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Hug the landlords

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Byzantine posted:

kill all turks

I Constantinhope you get the help you need.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Saw a shutdown protester the other day. Horrible creatures. I avoid them whenever I can

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

trickybiscuits posted:

The teacher fainted!

alternately, Teach resigned!

Their teacher was the infamous 18th century captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge??

E: nevermind the story says "she" guess I can't... Mary Read. :grin:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

darkwasthenight posted:

Piers seems to have developed a backbone recently. No idea what instigated it but he referred to PJW as a racist far-right loon who works for a 'journalism outlet' that claim Sandy Hook didn't happen, plus some crack about "if you don't like me I'm doing something right".

IIRC he made fun of Trump for the bleach thing and Trump unfollowed him, so he's either trying to rebrand or got a hit of that sweet sweet high that comes from someone getting mad at you on the internet

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I tend to like that device when it’s used as a misdirect. Like it starts off In Media Res as one thing, but by the time the narrative catches up to that moment the context you have has completely changed the meaning of the scene.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

vyelkin posted:

Global coronavirus death toll could be 60% higher than reported because so many people are dying before being tested and then having their cause of death recorded as "pneumonia" or "acute respiratory distress" instead of Covid-19, because we aren't testing dead people. Looking at this year's increase over baseline mortality figures for this time of year, we see deaths doubling or even tripling in some places, and the only reasonable explanation for that is that they're dying from Covid but our global testing capacity is far enough behind the spread that we aren't able to confirm their deaths as Covid-related.

Anecdotally, I read an article a few weeks back reporting that Chicago's coroner is recording twice as many deaths per day as usual, with a shockingly high number of pneumonia and respiratory distress deaths not being recorded as Covid deaths because the deceased weren't tested before dying.

Aren’t there also reports that way more people were infected than was previously thought, which might also mean that there are more asymptomatic carriers than previously believed?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PetraCore posted:

AFAIK the WHO doesn't think getting infected and recovering provides much lasting immunity so there's not actually herd immunity possible until a vaccine is developed.

I remember reading some pushback on that statement, and IIRC there’s absence of evidence but that doesn’t mean evidence of absence. The WHO just wanted to make sure countries didn’t start implementing immunity passports under an assumption that we can’t claim with confidence

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Garrand posted:

Humanity is imprisoned by a killer pandemic. People are being arrested for surfing in the ocean and meditating in nature. Nations are collapsing. Hungry citizens are rioting for food. The media has generated so much confusion and fear that people are begging for salvation in a syringe. Billionaire patent owners are pushing for globally mandated vaccines. Anyone who refuses to be injected with experimental poisons will be prohibited from travel, education and work. No, this is not a synopsis for a new horror movie. This is our current reality.

Let’s back up to address how we got here...

In the early 1900s, America’s first Billionaire, John D. Rockefeller bought a German pharmaceutical company that would later assist Hitler to implement his eugenics-based vision by manufacturing chemicals and poisons for war. Rockefeller wanted to eliminate the competitors of Western medicine, so he submitted a report to Congress declaring that there were too many doctors and medical schools in America, and that all natural healing modalities were unscientific quackery. Rockefeller called for the standardization of medical education, whereby only his organization be allowed to grant medical school licenses in the US. And so began the practice of immune suppressive, synthetic and toxic drugs. Once people had become dependent on this new system and the addictive drugs it provided, the system switched to a paid program, creating lifelong customers for the Rockefellers. Currently, medical error is the third leading cause of death in the US. Rockefeller’s secret weapon to success was the strategy known as, “problem-reaction-solution.” Create a problem, escalate fear, then offer a pre-planned solution. Sound familiar?

Flash forward to 2020...

They named it COVID19. Our leaders of world health predicted millions would die. The National Guard was deployed. Makeshift hospitals were erected to care for a massive overflow of patients. Mass graves were dug. Terrifying news reports had people everywhere seeking shelter to avoid contact. The plan was unfolding with diabolical precision, but the masters of the Pandemic underestimated one thing... the people. Medical professionals and every-day citizens are sharing critical information online. The overlords of big tech have ordered all dissenting voices to be silenced and banned, but they are too late. The slumbering masses are awake and aware that something is not right. Quarantine has provided the missing element: time. Suddenly, our overworked citizenry has ample time to research and investigate for themselves. Once you see, you can’t unsee.

The window of opportunity is open like never before. For the first time in human history, we have the world’s attention. Plandemic will expose the scientific and political elite who run the scam that is our global health system, while laying out a new plan; a plan that allows all of humanity to reconnect with healing forces of nature. 2020 is the code for perfect vision. It is also the year that will go down in history as the moment we finally opened our eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2KRpRMSu4g

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Fister Roboto posted:

Hundreds of billions of dollars go to the military every year, but this small duck ramp that cost $100 at most is the last straw.

If it’s anything like the military the contractor probably billed them closer to $1000 for it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I particularly enjoyed her work in The Usual Suspects.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Lol I never realized that one was Singer

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm more wondering how an adult famous rich woman is whining to her followers on Twitter because somebody said something mean about her to a tabloid. :shrug:

Here, have something less controversial:

https://twitter.com/Chaotic_Comics/status/1258877764049924096

Although to be fair, if Chrissy really is the executive producer on her show then lmao that's probably not a great idea.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Inceltown posted:

He was an old white Australian guy though so he was hella racist.

Yikes, talk about democracy manifest.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's incredibly on-brand for big-name American liberals to self-righteously demand a laywer for a victim of medical bankruptcy.

Rather than, you know, take a look at the root problem here. That's out of scope.

Yeah, this goon gets it.

Not sure why it has to be either/or, obviously “lawyers for medical bankruptcy” isn’t even remotely close to sufficient, but I’m sure it might at least help a few people in the interim. I guess the big problem is the liberals who’d see it as a job well done and just stop at that point.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If there's one time where half measures are absolutely the wrong choice it's the aftermath of a global pandemic.

Yeah, but we also live in the hell timeline. I dunno. I guess I just see that proposal as something that could go into effect in a couple of weeks that might make an immediate difference for a handful of people while actually fixing the problem for everyone probably won’t happen until everyone with an AARP card is dead and buried. Ideally in the wake of a pandemic we’d have the space to be a little more ambitious with our immediate demands but I’m not exactly overwhelmed with hope.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Look, I’m not saying that Tom Nook is a Marxist hero, but he charges zero interest and will never send you to collections or evict you

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

MageMage posted:

I'm sorry, I didn't check every VHS

Yes I like to make poo poo up so I can post on your forum so I can then get harassed by half a dozen people. Yup you got me.

Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Mierenneuker posted:

Good thing that person didn't write a guide to the third Persona game where the cast summon demons by shooting themselves in the head.

Or the 5th one where you save the world by summoning Satan who shoots God* in the head with a bullet made of the Seven Deadly Sims

*technically the Demiurge but whatever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

That owns tbh

Also “Ebeneezer Screws” would be another good one.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

somethingrofl posted:

I'd human being a friend of the family cock if I had to survive. not into men though personally. My dickhole is my favorite pussy now.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

TBH I never figured out what Sun Tzu was talking about in that part of the book.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yawgmoth posted:

This is going in my folder of "examples of why the phrase 'common sense' is as loving terrible as it is loving worthless."

No it’s true I’m a 5G hacker and do it all the time. I can also use it to give you erectile dysfunction and make your girlfriend mad at you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Since we’re on the subject of weird CIA poo poo just want to give a shoutout to my old friend Operation Acoustic Kitty

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

T-man posted:

I look considerably more masculine and commanding than every MRA guy except the golden one combined and I'm a trans woman and look like the prototypical fat goon. My jawline is, inconviently, stronger than steel.

Sometimes a Chad is really a Becky and that's OK.

Becky with the none hair

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

*leans forwards* A white hole?

Yeah that’s actually a theorized thing, basically the opposite of a white hole where you can’t enter from the outside but energy, matter, and light can escape.

GRB 060614 is one, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Or a smaller cane with a piece of amber on top