Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

From the OP of the renegade thread

is the yellow line supposed to represent something specific, or do they just print a bunch of different flags with a different single stripe?

:pisstape:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Memento posted:

Ignoring the vegetation, how the gently caress do those look like "Britain style houses"?

not even sure dude realizes Britain and Ireland are separate islands.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

hyperhazard posted:

Nice, an actual island of Kek for the alt-right.

weirdly enough frog-related

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I've averaged just about 700 mL per day since the lockdown hit, so

That's only about 15 shots per day, not bad, not great.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

who hasn't enjoyed a nice slice of plain buttered toast with their completely unspiced chicken fettuccine alfredo?

oregano? pepper? garlic? they're for posers

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Memento posted:

It's Imperial, from Costa Rica. So I assume it's like every beer from a tropical country; weak pisswater that you're only drinking because it's 98 degrees and 98% humidity out.

it's a standard boring lager so you're correct

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

all that in a single day?

wow

clearly has never seen three or more stage performances of West Side Story like I have :smuggo:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Like, were ancient Egyptians completely calm and rational about the literal biblical plague?
As written, by time of the eighth plague (locusts) even the Pharoah's servants were like "dude Egypt is dying maybe let them go already" and he was like "yeah but just the men, leave everyone else" then the locusts happen and he goes "wack" but (Exodus 10:20) God was like "nope I've still got a point to make" and "hardened" the pharoah's heart.

After that point, as written, the pharoah only keeps the Israelites from leaving because God is going "nope still not done loving Egypt until I've proved I can count to ten" and the Egyptians are presumably going "this seems a bit excessive."

Just before the death of the firstborn (which does explicitly include the firstborn son of the pharoah), God goes "hell yeah they'll be talking about Me for a while (Ex. 11:9)*

But yeah the comments of the general Egyptian populace are pretty much ignored until the death thing whereupon there's some vague wailing and gnashing of teeth that's mostly glossed over.

*they did not, oddly enough

/e forgot, also immediately after they get to leave God goes "also I'm claiming your firstborn males too, human and animal (Ex 13:2,12)" to the Israelites and nothing is said of their immediate reaction to this but presumably they would have gone "uh, great, cool" I guess? Can't imagine why they immediately built a different god to worship.

stringless has a new favorite as of 11:55 on Apr 20, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

re: Ace of Base, there was a big "i was today years old when i realized 'All That She Wants' was actually explicitly about 'welfare queens'" flare-up maybe five years ago?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It's the year of the rat, in the metal cycle. I was born in 1985, so I am a wood rat.

1985 is Ox, 1984 is Rat. Didn't know about the element cycles but that's kinda neat I guess

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

nexus6 posted:

This is loving amazing. The CIA coined the term 'conspiracy theory'?

It's on a similar level to "Alex Jones is a plant to make us look bad" and it's been around for a while.

But the idea of the CIA propagandizing is at least realistic since they, you know, did that and it's good odds they still do.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

look if you can't appreciate the amount of money spent on a particular form of carbon that's mined in a particular way and not just made i just don't think you understand how marriage has worked since the late 1800s.

i've got one friend that got his ring tattooed. Didn't make it two years, at least the rings are generally easy to remove.

stringless has a new favorite as of 16:01 on May 20, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

i've seen and heard quite a bit about how obviously diamonds are a scam, just try to sell them lol!

buy your diamond rings from those rubes that try to sell their diamond rings that's dimes on the dollar

"this was someone's grandmother's ring lol"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The tipped minimum wage was set to $2.13 federally almost thirty years ago, and is still $2.13 in ten or twelve states. They are mostly chud states, of course.

There used to be several states with $10 and $12 minimum wages for tipped employees, but obviously all of the restaurants and bars in those states went immediately out of business, destroying wealth and cratering their economies.

Skwirl posted:

The worst part of when I lived in California for a decade was the fact that there were zero restaurants, they just didn't exist. It was really tough since I spent most of that time working as a waiter.
Hawaii, a state well-known for lacking restaurants and bars, currently has a $10.10 minimum wage (and it's going up to $11 in '21, $12 in '22, $12.50 in '23, and $13 in '24 though this is all still less than the state government's own math that currently $17/hour is a living wage).

Technically there's a tip credit system that can knock wages down to ~$9.35/hour if a given employee is making enough in tips, but that'sa bunch of extra math on a weird scale so most places I've seen just start you at $10.10.

anyway hopefully you're just being sarcastic.

(also lol good luck having a conversation about how much better tipped labor has it here than the $2.13/hour I was used to)

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:11 on May 23, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Why don't you just not bother with the maths and overestimate? Like, back when cash was a thing, if I was out for a meal with a group of people and the total came out to $27.40 per person I'd just put down $30 and call it good. No, I don't want change, please do not give me coins under any circumstances.

So if you're in a place where tips are a thing and you order a meal that costs, I dunno, $18.50, are you really going to sit there going "well 10% of that is $1.85, times two is $3.70, add that to the original price is $22.20" rather than just going "here's $25"? You're going to sit there and do maths for the sake of a couple of dollars?

your first example is not quite 11%

for your second example you could go "twice 18.50 is 37 so i should tip in the region of $3.70" which is like one and a half math operations at best and since you've already explicitly brought up "back when cash was a thing" you just add ~$3.70 to the tip line of the credit receipt and you're done. hell, a lot of tip receipts even do the math for you! unless you're the kind of person that gets antsy about tipping on the taxed total as if your server doesn't have to pay sales tax.

no one's going to complain if you give more but given your first example that's probably not how your rounding works out

oh it's tiggum

stringless has a new favorite as of 09:43 on May 23, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Peanut Butler posted:

tipping is bad and has its origins in post-civil war methods of making sure black people didn't get paid as much, if at all

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Post civil-war places like... 17th century London. Hell, even the word “tip” in the sense of giving a gratuity to is traced back to the 1750’s.

Tipped labor as explicitly codified into wage laws as a way for employers to pay employees less than minimum wage is distinct from tipping as a concept.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s way more to it than that, and I won’t deny that tipping is a way that minorities end up making less money overall, but American tipping and wage laws are distinct from the end of slavery- that poo poo started in the mid-1800’s with rich people that basically were trying to flex and show off that they had been to Europe and knew all the fancy rules. Hotel workers and porters (which is an occupation that has a whooole other set of hosed up racial poo poo; look at the “Georges” of the Pullman rail company) ended up unionizing and missing the worst of tipped wage laws but restaurant workers weren’t able to and got the worst of it. And yes, it disproportionately affects racial minorities, I was arguing the origin and not the effect. If you really want to get into it, the tipped wage being sub-minimum was a 1960’s kick at the civil rights movement, not a post slavery issue. It took about 30 years for people to decide tipped workers don’t get everyone else’s minimum wage.

Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 is a bit before the '60s.

And there's a reason tipping survived in the USA when it didn't in Europe.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's also important to note that this was just the first point it was set into law (as part of fair labor standards and the creation of the federal minimum wage) as the practice of paying tipped labor a pittance if anything was happening already at that time.

Like they didn't decide to codify this into law as a "gently caress you" to servers, it was already tradition.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

letthereberock posted:

When the question is “why is thing in America but not in Europe?” the answer is race. It’s always race.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

What video is this? Feel free to point me to any news articles if you don't feel like going into detail, I'm just not recognizing what event this image is from.

Guy got executed in a hotel hallway by police giving him contradictory commands. Killer had "YOU'RE hosed" printed on his rifle.

/e: oh right it had the moron label too

stringless has a new favorite as of 20:36 on May 28, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Good to know that drinking in your hotel room is now a justification for your murder by police. See he was drunk, meaning he COULD have gotten into a car and killed someone!

He had a scoped pellet gun for dealing with birds in grocery stores and showed it to his guests. He was seen from the ground with it which prompted the call to the police.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Where does this spirit energy go? Obviously it can't be measured, duh

What if I'm "taking one for the team", so to speak, spreading all of my spirit energy to the needy?

how can I turn this into a call to masturbate more often?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

https://twitter.com/sfmnemonic/status/1271994894442278917

like i understand the joke but was it necessary?

/e: feel free to tell me i'm wrong

stringless has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Jun 14, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Austrian, to be pedantic

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

e: sorry, Austrian. Don't know where Belgian came from.
I'm sure that both FN and Glock would probably be highly offended about this

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Inceltown posted:

In my quest to find out what 'himbo' means I offer up this discovery.

apparently SimCopter got wild.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

notable snippets:

"I have enormous respect for every single police officer, especially right now."

"now I CANNOT WAIT to vote red baby!!"

"Conservatives are the most accepting out there."

"Welcome to the new counter culture."

apparently there aren't counter protests because conservatives are following the 1967 model

"We accept everyone here."

and just the entirety of that last one

Another top post right now is "Long time conservative liberal here. The Marxist Democratic agendas are getting out of hand. The fact they are going to take down Teddy FREAKING Roosevelt’s Statue drove me back to reality." and it's just as much oppositeofreality.png except for the "conservative liberal" part

quote:

What the gently caress was I thinking? Democrats are basically making people accept an ideology that’s really 1% of the population and a very vocal one for sure with deep loving pockets. Look at the loving example of how the Left wants to take down Teddy Roosevelt’s state in front of a NYC museum. It’s ridiculous. What’s next? FDR? George Washington? Thomas Jefferson?

I don’t see Asians (I’m asian) complaining about FDR how he forced Japanese Americans into intern camps am I?

stringless has a new favorite as of 12:08 on Jun 22, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Tiggum posted:

What does any of this mean?
"i only care about the law as a cudgel for those i disagree with"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

My wife had an adorable little student named Swastika. She was Karen, and was just getting the idea that something was up with her name in America. She wasn't taking it well.

i could see misspelling "Korean" as "Karen" but it's not exactly a Korean name

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

well that is doubly unfortunate

but neat! thanks for informing

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I used to go to gun ranges pretty often, regularly once or twice a week.

My only ND ever was with a janky rental gun: the first shot went where I was aiming and then the second shot hit the ceiling because it had completed the cycle, my finger was just barely on the trigger, and it had more of a kick than I was expecting.

Guess what I never let happen again?

Yeah, guns are inherently dangerous, that's why I took steps while handling them to make them less dangerous to everything that wasn't my target? There are probably some rules about this sort of thing but that's the slightest bit of effort I guess.

Hell I used to own several guns, all regularly used, and never negiligently discharged a single one of them.

might have been negligent to keep paying those exorbitant range ammo prices though, hey-o

stringless has a new favorite as of 17:29 on Jul 3, 2020

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Stuntman posted:

now reread the post you're getting mad at. pay attention to the signs. what acronyms might one form from the slogans on them?

everyone sees what the sign says, no one here read that sign and went "definitely says Prineville" as their first instinct

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

T-man posted:

Shut up dipshit

---

Lets discuss something less controversial, asexuality.

wait is magenta considered the official ace color?

this is very disturbing

Wikipedia posted:

The flag consists of four horizontal stripes: black, grey, white, and purple from top to bottom. The black stripe represents asexuality, the grey stripe representing the grey-area between sexual and asexual, the white stripe sexuality, and the purple stripe community.
so all of those flags are wrong, since none of them have gray and two don't even have black, got it.

also, great, another thing i'll be noticing:

Wikipedia posted:

Some members of the asexual community opt to wear a black ring on the middle finger of their right hand as a form of identification.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

That's not magenta

I may need to recalibrate my monitor, it's clearly purple on my phone.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Unkempt posted:

It's OK, magenta doesn't really exist.

The printer ink scam runs deeper than I thought.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Almost everything gathers a bunch of personal data. Focusing on one platform is pissing on the wind

TikTok is especially egregious even above the heavy hitters

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nastyman posted:

What's uh.. what's #8?

"Badge number or symbol of rank."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

yes i'm aware of why it was posted (in addition to #1)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Agreed. They’re getting old which nobody likes.
more like oldyikes