Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I posted on the old thread at the exact moment you killed it so my words of wisdom have disappeared into the ether. Boo hoo.

Anyone else feel like they wasted most of March? I'm determined from tomorrow morning to try and get back on track with life and stop obsessively watching sky news, online newspapers, twitter (a really bad habit I have fallen into this last month).

Lockdown doesn't make too much difference to my life except I can't help noticing that Waitrose now has lots of empty icecream freezers - only the very expensive stuff left - and the chocolate shelves are looking very skimpy except for the easter eggs.

I got a lot done in march. I'm mostly a homebody and most of my free time is spent in my garage or around the yard. Even my job keeps on going as usual. In april I hope to fell some trees, which I will then debark and dry, they will become the new roof beams for a 5x5m shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Why are we using the US spelling of metre in the thread title? Pls fix.
That's how the original post spelled it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We GOT BREXIT DONE and so will not be using filthy French spellings any more.
I remember reading one of my grandad's "what machinists need to know about the upcoming decimal metric system" that used meter and gram in the 50s, then we seemed to move to metre and gramme, and now it's metre and gram, so we may as well admit that we've never used a consistent spelling for either.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Once we get brexit done we can return to buying artisanal goods in guineas and paying the underlings the spare shilling on the company pound.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bardeh posted:

I resubbed the other day on Omega too, but I'm at the end of ARR and I'm faced with 100 boring fetch quests before the first expansion and I just...can't. I'm considering paying for the skip - is Heavenward that much better that's it's worth it?

Personally I wouldn't pay for the skip - the story pays off in spades as it builds towards HW, so if you've made it this far you might as well power through. HW has the same basic mechanics, but it is structured a lot better - far more expansive maps to explore, a much more focused story, new single player dungeons that mean a lot less 4 and 8 player encounters to queue for, just a lot more focus and interest everywhere. I'm not an MMO person, and a lot of ARR was... fine, I guess, but I'm genuinely invested now.

I did pay for the machinist level skip way back though, so I've been able to power though absolutely everything.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That's how the original post spelled it.

I remember reading one of my grandad's "what machinists need to know about the upcoming decimal metric system" that used meter and gram in the 50s, then we seemed to move to metre and gramme, and now it's metre and gram, so we may as well admit that we've never used a consistent spelling for either.

We still measure fuel economy in MPG but sell fuel in litres/liters, measure small distances in metric but long ones in imperial, and measure drugs and other injectables in mg/ml but blood in pints. What I'm saying is Britain is a dumb country that fully deserves to crash into Mars because of a conversion error.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't mind Imperial units.

They seem complicated at first but the idea seems to be that they base their system on numbers that are divisible by many smaller numbers. You divide by 3 or 6 in decimal and you're going to end up with an infinite decimal point. Do it in Imperial and the number has an end.

Seeing as we're not going to change our road signage ever I wouldn't mind if we sold fuel in gallons.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We still measure fuel economy in MPG but sell fuel in litres/liters, measure small distances in metric but long ones in imperial, and measure drugs and other injectables in mg/ml but blood in pints. What I'm saying is Britain is a dumb country that fully deserves to crash into Mars because of a conversion error.

Or at the very least, glide into a disused airfield full of terrified children.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Looks like I'm getting furloughed next week :toot:

My allotment isn't going to know what hit it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

measure drugs and other injectables in mg/ml but blood in pints.
Also every fluid good at the shops is sold in quantities of L/cl/ml except for

But pubs can sell beer by the pint or half pint.

And also sell coca cola by the 15fl oz (although I'm not sure if they should and I've no idea why, 426.2ml isn't even a can size).

Azza Bamboo posted:

Seeing as we're not going to change our road signage ever I wouldn't mind if we sold fuel in gallons.
If they're going to continue using mpg then that does make sense. They should at least move to ℓ/100 miles or something if that's what they're selling fuel in.

We will have phased out the internal combustion engine before that gets sorted though. And even then we'll be selling household electricity in kWh and measuring cars in kcal/mile or some poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Or at the very least, glide into a disused airfield full of terrified children.

"This is the one thing we didn't want to happen"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We GOT BREXIT DONE and so will not be using filthy French spellings any more.

The Germans spell it "meter". There is no escape from the EU.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I guarantee once you point this out to the gammons they will start a campaign to change our spelling of it to meetr.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like a dating app.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Looks like I'm getting furloughed next week :toot:

My allotment isn't going to know what hit it.

I was very excited to spent all my weekends tidying up the garden. Then my council stopped the garden waste collection.

:argh:

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Oodles posted:

I was very excited to spent all my weekends tidying up the garden. Then my council stopped the garden waste collection.

This is what fire is for.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
No mods no masters

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Burn your garden waste. Mix the ash in your flower beds as fertiliser.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Compost is good too but takes time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Do not arson your council.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I'm grabbing my hoe and I'm off to the back garden to get utterly filthy

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A Rake's Progress.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't mind Imperial units.

They seem complicated at first but the idea seems to be that they base their system on numbers that are divisible by many smaller numbers. You divide by 3 or 6 in decimal and you're going to end up with an infinite decimal point. Do it in Imperial and the number has an end.

a rod being five and a half yards is bullshit though

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

blood in pints.

I was going to say this isn't true but realise I don't actually know, despite working in (white) blood cell collection for a long time. Pretty sure they are just 500ml +/- 25ml (plus anticoagulant).

Some years ago I worked on a therapy made from whole blood but I can't remember the specifics of the collection :-/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A UK unit of blood is 525ml +/- just enough to make it actually a pint.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Can’t burn soil, I’m digging out cat poop filled raised beds.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can burn cat poo poo if you have enough accelerant.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Azza Bamboo posted:

Burn your garden waste. Mix the ash in your flower beds as fertiliser.

Burn the rich, mix the ash in your hair and ululate towards the night sky.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Do not arson your council.
I'll put my arse on whatever I like

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DesperateDan posted:

I'm grabbing my hoe and I'm off to the back garden to get utterly filthy

I have a question for you Dan and other green fingered people: my house is new and there are no plants or trees in the small area around it. How easy is it to make tree seedlings from cuttings? Buying tree seedlings seems to be megabucks.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Throw all waste in a pile and let it rot- the bugs will love it, if you want to keep cats/foxes/gammons away from your vegetable beds then sprinkle some extra hot chilli powder down once every week or two

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I posted on the old thread at the exact moment you killed it so my words of wisdom have disappeared into the ether. Boo hoo.

Anyone else feel like they wasted most of March? I'm determined from tomorrow morning to try and get back on track with life and stop obsessively watching sky news, online newspapers, twitter (a really bad habit I have fallen into this last month).

March, February, and the 12 months prior. I'd been waiting a year for therapy appointments with a charity I'd found that do an open ended number of sessions, because the anxiety I get from knowing I only have a few sessions left undoes most of the work. I was due to have my first appointment last Wednesday, now cancelled indefinitely because of corona, and because of the backlog they're now introducing a 25 session limit with a 6 month wait to refer back again.

In summary, gently caress everything

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Who is ready for the April fool's prank during today's coronavirus briefing?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

knox_harrington posted:

I have a question for you Dan and other green fingered people: my house is new and there are no plants or trees in the small area around it. How easy is it to make tree seedlings from cuttings? Buying tree seedlings seems to be megabucks.

It depends a lot on the tree, some are quite easy some are really hard- the way I was looking at you essentially clamp a plastic ball around a tree branch (with some bark peeled away) with some wet moss inside and it roots the sapling while still attached to the main tree. I was gonna try it this year, as well as cloning a bunch of currant and gooseberry but 'rona kind of changed priorities.

Buying trees from most garden places is absolutely ludicrous money, this year I bought lots of bare root transplants from a firm (hedging.co.uk) and sorted them myself and it was a lot cheaper. It's right towards the end of buying season (twice a year) but you might find a few deals left and you still have a month or so of good planting time

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Oodles posted:

Can’t burn soil, I’m digging out cat poop filled raised beds.

Pretty sure your not supposed to put soil in the green waste bins. Especially if it has cat poo poo in it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

A UK unit of blood is 525ml +/- just enough to make it actually a pint.

I admire your confidence about this and various other things, but I think you are wrong. 450ml collected and packed into 280ml units - which happily is half a pint.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

I was going to say this isn't true but realise I don't actually know, despite working in (white) blood cell collection for a long time. Pretty sure they are just 500ml +/- 25ml (plus anticoagulant).

Some years ago I worked on a therapy made from whole blood but I can't remember the specifics of the collection :-/

https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/after-your-donation/

quote:

During a blood donation we take 470ml of blood, which is just under a pint.

Turns out it's neither, and is in fact nearer a US pint (473ml) instead of a UK one (568ml)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

it sucks loving rear end unless you're pretty good at it. buy the tree sapling imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its cool how blood accounts for 4% of total US exports or something insane

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oodles posted:

Right on schedule!

quote:

More than a third of English councils have suspended collections of garden waste as they struggle to pick up rubbish amid staff shortages, analysis by the PA news agency has found.

At least 125 local authorities have temporarily halted the service in the face of the coronavirus pandemic or delayed its reintroduction for the summer months.

Garden waste collections have been suspended or are not restarting as planned in cities such as Leeds, Bristol and Plymouth, across counties including Dorset, and in seven London boroughs.

Householders are being urged to try and limit the waste they generate from extra gardening, DIY or spring cleaning clear-outs as councils deal with increased levels of domestic rubbish from families locked down at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bardeh posted:

I resubbed the other day on Omega too, but I'm at the end of ARR and I'm faced with 100 boring fetch quests before the first expansion and I just...can't. I'm considering paying for the skip - is Heavenward that much better that's it's worth it?
It really is. Also, you’re now through the worst of the ARR stuff - 2.1 and 2.2 are fairly boring, but nowhere near as bad as the leadup to Tidus Titan or the crystal hunt for Garuda, and things ramp up in quality from there. (Also you’ll now have blue quests available to unlock about 20 new dungeons and an alliance raid tier to go through while you do them.) Then there’s a really big jump in quality at the start of HW.