Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Somewhere there's bound to be a person making the most of their antique air raid siren collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/bencsmoke/status/1255922949435142144?s=20

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.
Someone set off a firework on our street during :siren: THE CLAP :siren:. Fair enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does anyone know what Labour Left Alliance are like?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

crispix posted:

Somewhere there's bound to be a person making the most of their antique air raid siren collection

Used to be (still may be) a band in Oxford called Mary Bendy Toy who used a manual crack siren in their set. It was amazing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Ah yes, the guy that is such an enormous dickhead that they literally made a Hollywood movie about it and banned him from the set because he kept turning up and irritating everyone

I'm sure he has something interesting to say about.... his wife? No this can't be right, who would pay someone to do that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Does anyone know what Labour Left Alliance are like?

They're Chris Williamson's grift brigade, way too concerned with loudly denying that they're antisemitic to get any actual leftist work done. Forward Momentum is probably a better choice if you want left-wing Labour fringe groups.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hm that's a shame, some decent seeming lefties just got in contact with me about joining it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Hm that's a shame, some decent seeming lefties just got in contact with me about joining it.

I can believe that decent individuals are involved with it, but the organisation itself gives me little hope for its future.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
A year or more on and I *still* don't know the rights or wrongs about the Williamson case so I'm sticking with my gut instinct of him being a Galloway-style chancer and self-publicist and steering clear.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
I feel I should continue to share my worst creations with the thread.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I can believe that decent individuals are involved with it, but the organisation itself gives me little hope for its future.

They mostly seem pissed off at momentum cos it's just lansman's personal army, which I find it hard to disagree with given how poo poo he's been generally. In terms of grifters he doesn't seem in a position to throw stones.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Braggart posted:

I feel I should continue to share my worst creations with the thread.

instead can you share the LSD you were on when you decided making this was a good idea

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Convex posted:

Ah yes, the guy that is such an enormous dickhead that they literally made a Hollywood movie about it and banned him from the set because he kept turning up and irritating everyone

I'm sure he has something interesting to say about.... his wife? No this can't be right, who would pay someone to do that

The previous episode in this saga was his wife writing an article about how while the dickhead was writing articles about how everyone should ignore Covid and go back to work he'd Howard Hughes'd himself in his room convinced he had the Disease.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Angelo3000k/status/1255895621417996288?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1255876150993321985

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

The previous episode in this saga was his wife writing an article about how while the dickhead was writing articles about how everyone should ignore Covid and go back to work he'd Howard Hughes'd himself in his room convinced he had the Disease.

:stare:

Wow, now I want a black mirror where toby young is locked in a digital cell with a perfect clone of himself (created from extensive AI analysis of his newspaper columns) for 5 million years

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 30, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Does anyone know a good microphone and webcam to have for chatting to folk?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Josef bugman posted:

There's been a massive run on all webcams and microphones. Use your smart phone...

Cultlife
Jan 1, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I couldn't find a webcam for love nor money at the beginning of lockdown so I ended up trying out Droidcam (https://www.dev47apps.com/) with an old Android phone and it's been really good. I've connected it via USB debugging mode though so I can't vouch for it's quality over Wifi.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Josef bugman posted:

You can pick up second hand PS3 one for a couple of quid on eBay.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
What's the likelihood of the lockdown ending early, like say in the next few weeks or a month or two?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I ask because I would like to have one I can plug into my computer. I am fine with the smartphone I have, I would just prefer a computer one. Since my birthday is coming up and I can't think of many things I want, I thought I would ask.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Ash Crimson posted:

What's the likelihood of the lockdown ending early, like say in the next few weeks or a month or two?

I'm still satisfying my curiosity by spying on the work email accounts despite being on furlough, and a whole load of our suppliers are planning to open up on the 11th of May. I'm expecting most manufacturing and distribution businesses to follow suit.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm still satisfying my curiosity by spying on the work email accounts despite being on furlough, and a whole load of our suppliers are planning to open up on the 11th of May. I'm expecting most manufacturing and distribution businesses to follow suit.

what about retail tho

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Ash Crimson posted:

what about retail tho

These are companies that supply retailers. They wouldn't reopen their distribution networks if there wasn't anyone to supply to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Soylent Yellow posted:

Quelle surprise - Friday May 8th is the VE Day bank holiday - so Monday the 11th is afterwards. Seems they are also of the opinion that Big Daddy is going to declare the end (or extensive loosening up) of lockdown on May 8th blitz spirit, Vera Lynn, flag waving hurrah hurrah and poppies all round.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just reading more of this latest bollox from the Board of Deputies and demands for Abbott and Riberio-Addy to be expelled, and people claiming that they would definitely know that Walker and Greenstein were on the zoom call of 600 people.
More and more am I glad I quit the party and before the leadership was announced.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Quelle surprise - Friday May 8th is the VE Day bank holiday - so Monday the 11th is afterwards. Seems they are also of the opinion that Big Daddy is going to declare the end (or extensive loosening up) of lockdown on May 8th blitz spirit, Vera Lynn, flag waving hurrah hurrah and poppies all round.

I can't hear Vera Lynn singing "We'll meet again" without seeing the end scene from Dr Strangelove in my mind. It would be very appropriate if it was the cue to reverse the lockdown on VE day weekend.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I ask because I would like to have one I can plug into my computer. I am fine with the smartphone I have, I would just prefer a computer one. Since my birthday is coming up and I can't think of many things I want, I thought I would ask.

I've been trying out some USB webcams for work and I'm not terribly impressed. Your phone webcam is very likely to have better output than any cheap USB cam and if you want to spend 100s on a good one you might as well get a cheap 2nd hand flagship phone from 3 years ago. I think a used Galaxy S7 is like £50ish on eBay?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Kier Starmer stance on Kashmir is like he heard the left likes non interventionism and applies it in the worse way possible.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
when we locked down on 23rd of march there were 1000 cases a day and now there are 4000 cases a day and we're talking about opening up in a week, lol

I tried looking up data on historical tests per day (which is not readily apparent on the gov page, but maybe I'm just being blind) but on reflection I don't think there's any way that we actually have fewer new infections per day anyway, because we're still undertesting

what do they think is going to happen to the rate of deceleration of new cases if they relax the measures causing it to decelerate

it's like if you were driving a car and it suddenly starts accelerating uncontrollably of its own accord, slamming on the brakes and starting to slow down a bit and then going "cool I'm slowing down now, everything's under control so it's time to ease off on the brake a bit"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

I've been trying out some USB webcams for work and I'm not terribly impressed. Your phone webcam is very likely to have better output than any cheap USB cam and if you want to spend 100s on a good one you might as well get a cheap 2nd hand flagship phone from 3 years ago. I think a used Galaxy S7 is like £50ish on eBay?

The thing is the decent webcams are largely gonna be sold out, or at least overpriced just now, but a smartphone camera has two issues.

One, it requires you to hold the device, as typically it means you're using that device for all the communications as it's a pain to try and send the output through a computer, so now you have a smaller screen to work with, and an object you need to hold.

Two, phone lenses are typically narrower frame than a half decent webcam, aimed largely for a single user, which seems fine at first, but gets awkward if you want to have multiple people involved, or show something off.
This is especially true thanks to point one as you'll often be using the front facing camera instead.

The gold standard for budget webcams is the Logitech c920 or c920s, prior to the event commonly available for about £50, sometimes on sale as cheap as £25.
Due to everyone suddenly needing webcams, the stock dried up so the prices have ballooned up to about £70

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sure feeling bad about judging Kier before he was in the job.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Barry Foster posted:

I forgot to say this at the time and really wish I did, along with 'you're literally arguing on the same side as Elon Musk, Tim Martin, and capitalists across the globe' and 'the tories were forced into the lockdown by the people, not vice versa'

There's also the thing that tackling climate change is gonna involve big life changes, people doing without stuff they've become accustomed to, and generally putting up with things for the greater good. And we need a concerted, coordinated effort to do that, with people understanding that sacrifices are necessary, and demanding them from people in power instead of going with whoever offers the easy "don't bother it's fine" option

so if they're getting mad about being told to stay home during a pandemic because they want their lives back to normal, yeah I dunno how on board they are with the whole "I care about climate change" thing! It's like owl said, they already know what they want, they're just looking for ways to justify it

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Fresh new podcast on the state of Labour factionalism from your thread comrades over at Podcasting is Praxis, plus also Jack off of Reel Politik -

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1255989056674107394?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

The thing is the decent webcams are largely gonna be sold out, or at least overpriced just now, but a smartphone camera has two issues.

One, it requires you to hold the device, as typically it means you're using that device for all the communications as it's a pain to try and send the output through a computer, so now you have a smaller screen to work with, and an object you need to hold.

Two, phone lenses are typically narrower frame than a half decent webcam, aimed largely for a single user, which seems fine at first, but gets awkward if you want to have multiple people involved, or show something off.
This is especially true thanks to point one as you'll often be using the front facing camera instead.

The gold standard for budget webcams is the Logitech c920 or c920s, prior to the event commonly available for about £50, sometimes on sale as cheap as £25.
Due to everyone suddenly needing webcams, the stock dried up so the prices have ballooned up to about £70
If you're using it over USB with a PC couldn't you just use something like

and use the back camera?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

kingturnip posted:

What does the Board of Deputies do when they're not shrieking about anti-Semitism within the Labour Party?

It's nuts. If they manage to make this stupid pledge a Thing, it's gonna lead to mass suspensions. Don't think Starmer is going to want to go there so soon while he's still trying to tiptoe between the two factions.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Prince John posted:

It's nuts. If they manage to make this stupid pledge a Thing, it's gonna lead to mass suspensions. Don't think Starmer is going to want to go there so soon while he's still trying to tiptoe between the two factions.

Haha, what factions are those? Because it's clearly not the left he is trying to placate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
idk who AWL are but apparently they're trying to hijkack momentum and are trots? hopefully they're expelled as all trots are rapists or rapist apologists