Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/after-your-donation/

Turns out it's neither, and is in fact nearer a US pint (473ml) instead of a UK one (568ml)
Yet elsewhere on the site they refer only to pints and 'about a pint', which makes me wonder if that's discouraging people from giving blood, thinking that a big pint jug is being taken out of them when it's quite a bit less.

e: 3 pints is near enough exactly 1.7L, which is about as close as you can get to a nice conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yet elsewhere on the site they refer only to pints and 'about a pint', which makes me wonder if that's discouraging people from giving blood, thinking that a big pint jug is being taken out of them when it's quite a bit less.

e: 3 pints is near enough exactly 1.7L, which is about as close as you can get to a nice conversion.

"That's very nearly an armful!"

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Catzilla posted:

Pretty sure your not supposed to put soil in the green waste bins. Especially if it has cat poo poo in it.

Some councils say they don’t take soil because it makes the bin too heavy, however our council doesn’t stipulate it being restricted.

If I can’t put it in the brown bin, what am I supposed to do with my soil?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.transfusionguidelines.o...ume-of-donation

quote:

3.7: Volume of donation
For whole blood a donation of 450 mL±10% is required to ensure the final red cell component meets specification. No more than 15% of the estimated blood volume should be taken during any one donation. In general 470–475 mL of blood, excluding samples, is collected into the main pack.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Oodles posted:

Some councils say they don’t take soil because it makes the bin too heavy, however our council doesn’t stipulate it being restricted.

Eat it

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Oodles posted:

Dig a hole in the garden, and put it in there

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Oodles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zugv1NdMj4

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

- vga is pretty simple and is one-way video

Not actually true - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Display_Identification_Data

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DesperateDan posted:

you essentially clamp a plastic ball around a tree branch (with some bark peeled away) with some wet moss inside and it roots the sapling while still attached to the main tree.

this year I bought lots of bare root transplants from a firm (hedging.co.uk) and sorted them myself and it was a lot cheaper.

I think the ball clamping may be a bit advanced for me but thanks for the advice. I'll look for slightly more commercial suppliers.

i say swears online posted:

it sucks loving rear end unless you're pretty good at it. buy the tree sapling imo

Thanks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone done any exploits using EDID? It uses i2c doesn't it, which has been known to allow some fun stuff.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

I think the ball clamping may be a bit advanced for me but thanks for the advice.

I think MsAdequate could provide some guidance?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Oodles posted:

Normally take it to a council run tip. Unfortunately soil is one of the items they have started charging for, which, around here, has led to an increase in fly tipping.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you fly tipped a ton of soil in some of our barren fields around here I doubt anyone would notice. Everyone would assume it was one of those anti-Traveller humps.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Ok, household talk. I'm useless.
I can't wire a plug, paint a wall or hang wallpaper. I wouldn't know where to begin sanding stuff.

As you can guess, my flats decor is... Aged. I'd love a nice home but don't have the courage

Intellectually I know that a crappy paint job or wonky wallpaper won't actually cause the flat to combust but I'm TERRIFIED of actually trying.

Please halp.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Guavanaut posted:

If you fly tipped a ton of soil in some of our barren fields around here I doubt anyone would notice. Everyone would assume it was one of those anti-Traveller humps.

It normally gets tipped into entrances of byways and other rights of way. And it's not just soil, usually old white gooods, sofas and if your really lucky, old asbestos roof panels.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sloth Life posted:

I can't wire a plug, paint a wall or hang wallpaper. I wouldn't know where to begin sanding stuff.

As you can guess, my flats decor is... Aged. I'd love a nice home but don't have the courage

Intellectually I know that a crappy paint job or wonky wallpaper won't actually cause the flat to combust but I'm TERRIFIED of actually trying.

Please halp.

YouTube and therapy by Zoom

E: lol at the concept of not being able to paint. If you can feed yourself with a spoon then you can paint a wall

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Sloth Life posted:

Please halp.

Try the DIY forum? I find doing a good job is all about preparation and planning.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Painting is much easier than wall papering. It's all about the prep to be honest. Fill in any holes with filler then sand back smooth. Paint over the old colour with a base coat. Then put your top coat on, may need two coats if any of the old/base colour is showing through.
If you are painting on to fresh plaster, it is usually good to give it a coat of watered down PVA glue to seal the plaster.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Please halp.

It's quite easy to get advice here, just follow these steps:
1) Share pictures of your current situation
2) Describe what changes you want to make
3) Get loads of careful, detailed advice from goons
4) Saw through all the structural supports in your bathroom
5) Commence meltdown

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

5) Commence meltdown

6) Post pictures on the forums

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i mean i went with "one-way video" when phoneposting to not go into the metadata nuance, but what i really mean is that you're not expecting the other side of the cable to do any complex processing. meanwhile with hdmi and hdcp you're moving onto a random officer working at home plugging into a smart tv for convenience. far more complicated display device than anything relying on vga, but they're stupid convenience factors to even allow for outside of controlled environments

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Whilst we are on the subject of home decor, how much change can I make to a room that I am renting? I haven't added any studs to the wall (used a few of them though for hanging things) but would like to know what exactly the legal grounds are for repurposing stuff?

Thanks folks!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1244674789350014981?s=19
https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1244683754582487042?s=19

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

"A litre of water's a pint and three quarters" was the approximation I learned.

Along with "two and a quarter pounds of jam make about a kilogram."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sloth Life posted:

I can't wire a plug
If you can screw a screw down, you can wire a plug.

There will be a ton of YouTube tutorials for this though, I'm sure. One of the few advantages of massive plugs is there's a lot of room for forgiveness on cutting the wire length exactly right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cool that the press eveyrhwete are bootlickers

https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/1245170751994544128?s=19

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

5) Commence meltdown

Such a A+ thread. We need more of those, in these trying times.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

This UC Claim stuff is driving me up the wall, none of the ID confirmations worked, so I've had to call them directly and have been on hold for over an hour.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Red Oktober posted:

Such a A+ thread. We need more of those, in these trying times.

I have used the phrase "in these trying times" more in the last month than my entire life prior.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Whilst we are on the subject of home decor, how much change can I make to a room that I am renting? I haven't added any studs to the wall (used a few of them though for hanging things) but would like to know what exactly the legal grounds are for repurposing stuff?

Thanks folks!

It's up to your land lord. Check your contract? I've had ones before that ban putting posters up with blu tack and stuff.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Ah poo poo, they cancelled the Edinburgh Fringe. Seems like it's necessary but it's depressing to think we'll still be dealing with this poo poo in loving August.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gort posted:

Ah poo poo, they cancelled the Edinburgh Fringe. Seems like it's necessary but it's depressing to think we'll still be dealing with this poo poo in loving August.

August seems like the bare minimum unless we have a proper lockdown.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

There's a lad in the street with a big hosepipe cleaning Windows. Seems weird... I guess maybe he'd be self employed so wants to crack on so I don't want to tut tut but kind of seems non essential.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Catzilla posted:

6) Post pictures on the forums

7) but not of the toilet

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oodles posted:

use a toilet like the rest of us

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

How common is the loss of taste in covid patients? My wife just said the spag bol tastes weird and it can't be possibly be because my cooking is crap

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Quite common, supposedly.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Wachter posted:

How common is the loss of taste in covid patients? My wife just said the spag bol tastes weird and it can't be possibly be because my cooking is crap

have you tried feeding her a selection of monster munch and asking her which one's her favourite

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

Hows her sense of smell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Wachter posted:

My wife hasn't been able to taste or smell anything since she came down with "flu-like" symptoms. She works in the NHS and guess what, no tests available unless she dies.