Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Wachter posted:

How common is the loss of taste in covid patients? My wife just said the spag bol tastes weird and it can't be possibly be because my cooking is crap

as with everything else there's a ton of information out there but in the absence of good testing we have no real idea. loss of taste is also a symptom of the common cold fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wachter posted:

How common is the loss of taste in covid patients? My wife just said the spag bol tastes weird and it can't be possibly be because my cooking is crap

More common than any other symptom, at least in the non-ancients

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/03/31/world/europe/31reuters-health-coronavirus-taste.html

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 1, 2020

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I think she's OK, I tried some too and it was a tad bland. Which is the real tragedy

Angepain posted:

have you tried feeding her a selection of monster munch and asking her which one's her favourite

I'm not prepared to discuss our sex life on these forums

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The lack of tests is the worst. We're all asked to act like we've got the virus when it comes to social distancing and breaking contact, and like we haven't got the virus when it comes to immunity and infection stats.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1245320013344636928?s=20

really glad i live somewhere fairly low population density and despite my sister working on a covid ITU ward seems to have proper PPI

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Not sure what her payment protection insurance not being mis-sold has to do with you not dying of the rona?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ah gently caress since thats what my job is around i didn't even notice. currently off for 3 weeks at full pay though which is nice

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Check out this very stable genius.

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1245245170272124928
Oh you never supported the 'lock down' did you? What a massive surprise.

This sort of thing is OK as a thought experiment but as policy it is incredibly dumb. Why on earth would you make that kind of commitment with nothing to base it on.

PB used to be a good site, now it mainly spafs about 'Corbynistas' and reports Tony as if he were some sort of benevolent God. Betting content is still fine, they can read the market.

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/HackneyNorthLab/status/1245294539960651776?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
April 1st or not, don't think any Labour organisation should be talking about embarrassing seat losses for a few years...

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Wachter posted:

7) but not of the toilet

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is it okay to leave your home if your house is on fire?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

April 1st or not, don't think any Labour organisation should be talking about embarrassing seat losses for a few years...

lol fair

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Azza Bamboo posted:

No, you have to take it all on the chin, build herd immunity.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

There is a specific legal exemption for that sort of thing, iirc.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

ah gently caress since thats what my job is around i didn't even notice. currently off for 3 weeks at full pay though which is nice

ow! i'm so infected! but i always wear plenty of..."PPI"?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is fine

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

Jose posted:

lol fair

So are you like the Highlander now after the quickening?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I had two fires in the garden yesterday. I might have another one today. My spare rooms are portals to the 'old box of tat you forgot about' dimension.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

Wachter posted:

I'm having to self isolate rn because I was showing symptoms, don't know if I have it or not but yea my appetite has been affected. Stuff tastes kind of gross to me like I had a curry yesterday and it just tasted overwhelmingly of water/oil. Really weird, I didn't realise it was common.

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Went for a long walk this morning (well 1hr) up the river bank, hardly anyone about.
Looked at newspaper headlines through a shop window - daily mail print edition headline "Fix testing fiasco now"
Criticism of ministers! The worm is turning?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Went for a long walk this morning (well 1hr) up the river bank, hardly anyone about.
Looked at newspaper headlines through a shop window - daily mail print edition headline "Fix testing fiasco now"

i mean its mostly their readership at high risk

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The headlines will probably be even worse tomorrow

quote:

Downing Street: 2,000 of 500,000 frontline NHS England staff have been tested for coronavirus
At the daily No 10 briefing of lobby journalists, Downing Street said just 2,000 people out of 500,000 frontline NHS England staff have been tested for coronavirus.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Josef bugman posted:

Whilst we are on the subject of home decor, how much change can I make to a room that I am renting? I haven't added any studs to the wall (used a few of them though for hanging things) but would like to know what exactly the legal grounds are for repurposing stuff?

Thanks folks!

Get your landlords permission and IN WRITING

I cannot stress how important that bit is because they will conveniently forget once your deposit is due back and cream you for it.

Some LL will be flexible and allow shelves, pictures and painting. Some will refuse everything up and Inc blutak. A few are in the 'put it back as you found it' which is wishy-washy at best and a red flag.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Thanks for DIY tips will try and probably end up in A n E but I will have tried! Maybe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

who knew trying to gut the civil service at the same time as a pandemic happened was bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That headline is an anagram of 'Fisting Wax Tesco Info' which made me wonder what the Sunday Sport's take on covid is, but their site is subs only.

e: ^^^ will the covid beat IDS for national deaths to date?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

New Mark Blyth chat video out for people who like that sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJFXTvJrQjM

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Josef bugman posted:

Whilst we are on the subject of home decor, how much change can I make to a room that I am renting? I haven't added any studs to the wall (used a few of them though for hanging things) but would like to know what exactly the legal grounds are for repurposing stuff?

Thanks folks!

In my experience landlords want you to live in a featureless beige cube with no changes at all - worth contacting your landlord if you have something in mind (being specific helps) - and I've painted walls and returned them to beige before leaving - some colours are more permeable than others.

In terms of decorating without any permanent modifications:
- House plants can do quite a lot, especially big cheese plants and the like. Even a wee cactus is better than nothing.
- Free-standing shelving units you can put in front of a wall then put ornaments and stuff on
- Framed pictures can be heavy and blu-tacking stuff can look a bit, tacky. You can make up a very light frame using a piece of bamboo, some thread and bulldog clips to hang pictures on very small nails that can easily be painted over after
- Self-adhesive posters can also be a bit neater, leave no marks and can be re-used if you keep the backing. Bit pricier than other stuff but not too bad.
- Lamps and lighting can make a big difference to a room, especially if any shades are coloured and translucent
- Any soft furnishings you have you can put a throw on or something, looks a bit cosier. Same with buying some new curtains rather than just the ones that came with the room.

Guavanaut posted:

That headline is an anagram of 'Fisting Wax Tesco Info' which made me wonder what the Sunday Sport's take on covid is, but their site is subs only.

Speaking of sport, what are all the sport sites and radio stations doing at the moment? Reminiscing about subbuteo and scalextric?

justcola fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 1, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Be careful with DIY, goons. A friend of my mum's apparently stocked up on stuff to redecorate her house while everyone is indoors and she fell off a ladder painting her landing at the weekend and has knackered her hip. Bad time to have to go to A&E. People always think it won't happen to them. There will probably be better times to build your dream sex dungeon :nono:

Guavanaut posted:

Early on they had one where an old couple had to wear masks on their holidays with hilarious tanning consequences and I was told from an informed source that their latest front page was the seat sniffing bloke from years ago suing the council for putting him on lockdown because he can't indulge in his favourite passtime. It's really quite predictable

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sloth Life posted:

Thanks for DIY tips will try and probably end up in A n E but I will have tried! Maybe.

Recommending a copy of Collins Complete DIY manual, which has been useful for me when attempting the most basic of DIY, because I've no idea.

It's a pretty good step by step of most stuff, although I haven't touched any electrics or plumbing for risk of being zapped to death, or drowning in poo poo.

[e]: On the topic of DIY, has anyone got a link to either a good Groverhaus video, or podcast or whatever - I'm really in the mood for load bearing drywall.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 1, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

IDS had a headstart of like 150,000

So maybe.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Pesky Splinter posted:

Recommending a copy of Collins Complete DIY manual, which has been useful for me when attempting the most basic of DIY, because I've no idea.

It's a pretty good step by step of most stuff, although I haven't touched any electrics or plumbing for risk of being zapped to death, or drowning in poo poo.

I think at this stage there is enough material for a goon version of this :grovertoot:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Guy I know got his test back this morning. He's a porter in a hospital. Newport area so no surprise it was positive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want some lightweight frames the really cheap small own brand ASDA ones are remarkably light and you can get them for like a quid each or something. They look nice too. Come with the little raised border to put around your art to make it looks dead posh.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

crispix posted:

Early on they had one where an old couple had to wear masks on their holidays with hilarious tanning consequences and I was told from an informed source that their latest front page was the seat sniffing bloke from years ago suing the council for putting him on lockdown because he can't indulge in his favourite passtime. It's really quite predictable

https://twitter.com/thesundaysport/status/1243980418698883072
:discourse:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

563 today :smith:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Political movement

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

"snurging"

Is that with a hard or a soft G, I wonder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Speaking of sport, what are all the sport sites and radio stations doing at the moment? Reminiscing about subbuteo and scalextric?
A lot of them are just speculating about what's going to happen when sports exists again I think.

Rumours are that Bob Footballs will transfer to Dynamo Scunthorpe if we don't all die, manager's fury at interpretation of line in contract while no sports happens, etc.

crispix posted:

I'm disappointed. It's a virus you can get from eating rear end and Prince Charles and Boris Johnson has it and they can't do anything with that low hanging fruit.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Probably my own biases here but electrics is fairly straightforward as long as you turn everything off at the breaker before starting and know what breaker controls what.

Technically everything has to be signed off by an electrician now but if you're just e.g. replacing a socket and not replacing the house wiring then nobody cares.

Plumbing is something I wouldn't do myself beyond like changing a sink trap or toilet siphon, because water gets everywhere and ruins everything.

Gas, no.