Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Answers Me posted:

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1245488347155398657?s=11

So, there's always a lot of talk about how Kuenssberg and Peston are useful idiots: jumped-up gossip journalists continually duped by the messages drip-fed to them by their politician contacts. But is that really the case? I'm more cynical. They most know what they're doing, know what their role is. There's a lot more conscious thought going on than them just being unwilling stooges of the establishment. They know precisely that they have the opposite opinion than a few weeks ago, that their job is to sell the government's actions to the public. Their 'cogs were turning' all along.

This sentence from Laura K is an odd one:

In time, there may be questions about whether the country can really afford to support new legions of workers through hard times for more than a short emergency period.

I mean the options are a) support them b) let them starve and essentially re-enact parts of the Great Depression or c) issue everyone with a government mandated job like you're a Soviet state?

Although I guess people losing their jobs when companies shut down are still going to be seen as workshy shirkers by Tories, aren't they? So I assume this will be slowly setting up telling people that if they don't "volunteer" for farming jobs that there aren't migrant workers to do, no benefits for you?

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Local coop still empty of loads of stuff: no pasta, rice, lentils or anything like that, and almost no veg. All the veggie protein stuff was gone too (Quorn/sausages/tofu)

Is this still caused by panic buying or is there a problem with supply chains?

The big sainsbury near me (Edinburgh) is almost back to normal, other than pasta, handwash and peanut butter. Tons of fruit and veg.

I think shelves are a little bit emptier than normal late in the day though, but that might be because more people are shopping during daytime hours who would previously have gone shopping after work in the evening maybe?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bardeh posted:

It really boils my piss how everyone on the local FB group is so performative about clapping for the NHS, putting rainbows in the window for the NHS, berating people for complaining about the fireworks getting let off for the NHS, but they will vote Tory now and forever who have loving gutted the NHS.

One of my friends posted on FB about how stupid the performative clapping was, waited for a slew of angry gammony responses telling her to SUPPORT OUR BRAVE NURSES AND DOCTORS* (*NOT THE FOREIGN ONES THOUGH) then she pointed out to them that she actually worked for the NHS and what would help is not voting tory, not clapping. They still told her she was wrong of course.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
If only we had clapped harder.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
None of the others have anything like the media presence that Boris Johnson does (did?) due to his HIGNFY appearances and all that, and they're idiots if they think they could do anything other than take the blame for things he got away with. But it'd be funny watching them find out, briefly.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

God imagine if this virus takes Boris, and kills off the newspapers

At last, something that can't be blamed on millennials

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gonzo McFee posted:

lol it came out that the plan was always for the government to let 250,000 - 500,000 die, they were just shocked that the public weren't happy about that.

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1247822000812363777

In that Reuters piece, this bit:

"Between February 13 and March 30, Britain missed a total of eight conference calls or meetings about the coronavirus between EU heads of state or health ministers - meetings that Britain was still entitled to join. "

reminds me a lot of posh, overpaid and very senior people at the large corporate I work for who refuse to read or attend briefings then insist they would totally have known/done something about X if only someone had told them but alas they were not told so cannot be blamed in any way for things going wrong.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

So is packing them off to farms (on the transport that will presumably be organised by the government because the farms aren't in cities and young people live more in cities than in rural areas where the farms are) how the government ensures they all get coronavirus so they can harvest plasma from the young people after they've had it?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm not saying some consultant developers are scamming the NHS for a laugh or were unfamiliar with 2020 phones but based on these two
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/20/coronavirus-digital-contact-tracing-will-fail-unless-privacy-is-respected-experts-warn and https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/apr/16/nhs-in-standoff-with-apple-and-google-over-coronavirus-tracing

it looks like the NHS was working on a contract tracing app that:
-Google and Apple won't allow on their phones
-would not work if the phone’s screen was turned off
-wouldn't work if an app other than the contact tracer was being used at the same time
-would require the screen to be active all the time so would rapidly run down battery life, and would leave users’ personal data at risk if their phone was lost or stolen while the app was in use.

So basically it would be pretty badly suited to how people use smartphones in 2020?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

baka kaba posted:

I know it's naive but I really, really hope some media outlet bothers to make this news

maybe the FBPE crowd will be outraged enough

If the government department even bothers to respond, they'll say something like it was one individual contractor no longer with them who overstepped his remit, or that while the accounts were not genuine, they represent the views of real NHS staff and so the thought was good even if people misunderstood, or some bollocks like that and everyone will nod and say 'ah, fair enough' :smith:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Not sure what's supposed to happen with all the high risk folk shielding if everyone else returns to work. Is there a plan for them other than "stay inside until there's a vaccine, sorry"?

Some the people I know who are high risk have jobs where they interact with the public so there's surely no way they can go back if it's circulating through everyone.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There isn't, and there can't be really. The only hope we have is that one of the ongoing drug trials finds that a drug is effective enough at treating it in vulnerable patients that the death toll from them getting infected drops to a low enough level we can tolerate, and we take measures to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Otherwise, there is no way to prevent them from catching a disease this fast spreading beyond developing herd immunity in the healthy population, or a vaccine.

Oh for sure, I think it was just that the guidance is "shield until the end of June", but as the weeks go on, there's not really anything to say what will happen then (because no one has a clue what'll be happening by June) so my friends are either just fretting they'll be told to just get back to normal life and hope they don't get sick, sorry... or not go outside again til some time in autumn, or even next year and the waiting is just hurting for them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

OwlFancier posted:

Actually saying that "this man is the most uninspiring unappealing man in the world and that's a good thing" is a level of brainworms I can't imagine.

It's like a throwback to the greyness of John Major

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

And a non-zero number of people will be there because B&Q sell dust masks.

Apparently someone at the 1922 committee was saying that gardening centres and DIY stores should be among the first businesses to reopen.

I think home owners maybe have a bit of a different definition of essential business to struggling renters here, probably.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

peanut- posted:

I don't understand the fixation on re-opening offices. They're the least impacted part of the economy from this, business factory people working from home is an easy win.

The whole approach of anything fun being considered non-essential and locked down for months while work carries on as normal is misconceived.

I was wondering if part of it was because bus/train companies are just losing money day on day with so few people travelling, so if the government tells people who commute to get back to work, they'll need to get public transport and the government won't risk being forced to nationalise or subsidise the transport firms to keep them viable in a longer lockdown.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Even though our company already had a lot of WFH before this, managers keep saying things like "appreciate that since everyone is WFH, productivity will be a bit lower and that's fine". But it's like, no - productivity might be lower because there's a pandemic happening and the lockdown and everyone is super stressed/scared about it

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

DeadButDelicious posted:

That is almost certainly a guarantee I'm afraid. Even if we weren't extremely likely to smash into a recession when the pandemic is "over" it'd still be a perfect narrative excuse to jump feet-first into austerity.

Yeah, Sunak's already said as much. I can't remember/find the words he used but basically he heavily implied that once the initial period was over, spending would need to be paid for. (presumably not by the rich though)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dog Pipes posted:

Just been to get a roni test.

I was able to book online yesterday but no tests were available at the test centre closest to me, so had to do a 40 mile round trip to the next closest.

Out of curiosity - does this mean people without cars are a bit screwed for getting tested unless they can find public transport to get there safely, or do people without their own car get other options?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Love that when people ask a question about the guidance or say that guidance isn't clear (in this case the social distancing measures), the government respond by just saying "actually it IS clear" and people just nod and accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

The DPRK posted:

Boris looks haunted, like he's seen the other side and it's not good.

That's what happens to public schoolboys if they have to step over the threshold of an NHS hospital