Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Ok, household talk. I'm useless.
I can't wire a plug, paint a wall or hang wallpaper. I wouldn't know where to begin sanding stuff.

As you can guess, my flats decor is... Aged. I'd love a nice home but don't have the courage

Intellectually I know that a crappy paint job or wonky wallpaper won't actually cause the flat to combust but I'm TERRIFIED of actually trying.

Please halp.

It's quite easy to get advice here, just follow these steps:
1) Share pictures of your current situation
2) Describe what changes you want to make
3) Get loads of careful, detailed advice from goons
4) Saw through all the structural supports in your bathroom
5) Commence meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's something grimly amusing about the papers reporting "biggest rise in cases/deaths EVER" every few days as if its a discrete event completely separated from everything beforehand. Media's always had a short memory, but its almost instantaneous now.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'll see that, and raise you:
https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1244951288422465538

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oodles posted:

I liked the opening ceremony. :colbert:

The music kicked rear end, especially during the crazy Dark Satanic Mills bit.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

"We're poo poo at testing people, but only because our diagnostic abilities have always been poo poo"

Well gee, I wonder who's fault that is?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Eels, between Queen and Prince.

Also the Blues Brothers looking people are Men Without Hats, but then, so is every man who doesn't have a hat.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

Looks good. If you spray a load of water using a misting bottle (like you might use for plants) it makes the crust nice and crispy.

E: spray the water at the time you stick the dough in the oven

I just pour a cup of water in a baking tray in the bottom of the oven.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But then they start moving about and lassoing other molecules and isn't there one that literally sort of walks along proteins dragging stuff about?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1MnNO4I9aU&t=56s
You'll have to provide your own silly tuba music.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I like the shaky camera when a protein bumps into another protein.

The full documentary, Secret Life of the Cell, is readily available online, and its absolutely great. Has dramatic music for when antibodies fly in like its loving Apocalypse Now.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I feel like I've seen it in school but it can't possibly be that old.

I can't possibly be that old, tell me I'm not that old

2012, so I'm not sure you're that young

There were similar clips and poo poo doing the rounds before that, swear I saw one back in 2008.

gently caress, what have i done with the last 12 years.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Eosinophils are fuckers, don't do poo poo about coronavirus. They just sit around complaining that there's no tapeworms for them to deal with, then they randomly get bored and start killing your tissues. Absolute bastards.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm feeling very depressed by this, and depressed by my limited ability to react to it.

Like, this is naked, unashamed hypocrisy. But pointing that out doesn't achieve anything - the powerful shits in power are gonna continue being shits. So much of this thread and associated lefty-media (Novara, Trashfuture, Citations Needed etc) is about how disingenuous and corrupt the political discourse is. And I can;t blame them/us, we're saturated in it, and criticising the discourse is both fun and important, but I feel like that's all we have, all we can do is call Nero out for fiddling, can't do anything about Rome burning.

I feel so loving powerless.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Is this gonna be like the Christmas Queen's speech where it's filmed 6 weeks in advance, so she's gonna tell us how important it is that we all wash our hands?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Looke posted:

#ClapForBoJo

With all his affairs this is quite probable

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What pisses me off is Raab's loving "oh he's totally fine, running the country from his hospital bed, just hasn't bothered to check in with his deputy" nonsense is clearly bollocks. They could have refused to update us, could have just asked for privacy. But instead they lied and nobody's gonna call them out on it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1247241272143704064

This is either a pretty good deliberate slam, or an amazing accidental slam.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Why is he dodging and hesistating so much over the "who's actually in charge?" questions? He's deputising, he's the one calling the shots, right?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I did History at Oxford and in my time at least, lectures were strictly optional. I think I went to, like, two, both in my first year. You get your essay topic and reading list, you go to the library and get your books, you read them and write your essay, you go to the tutorial and read it out to your tutor, and then he eviscerates you for an hour or so. Lather, rinse and repeat for three years.

You forgot the lifelong trauma!

:smith:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I am enjoying this incredibly low-key slap fight about the correct order of the slogan written on the front of the loving podium.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Took me a good 30 seconds of headscratching and pronouncing it in a thick accent to try and find a pun before I realised the thumbnail doesn't have the entire headline.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1249000989929156608

Is there any way of turning an internet video into some sort of solid object I can hit people who made jokes about Diane Abbot with? Maybe some kind of OLED truncheon?

When Diane Abbot says something dumb she tends to stumble, and there's always a moment of "hang on is that what I meant?".

Priti Patel, just says dumb stuff, and then repeats with talismanic confidence. When she was arguing about the death penality on QT she kept talking about "maximum burden of proof" which makes me think that she just doesn't know what the words mean. But because she (and Raab) are much more polished in their delivery they don't get called out for it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'd have a lot more confidence in everybody involved in these daily updates if they didn't keep getting the loving acronyms wrong.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think my favourite one is that a lot of store brand foods are made by the exact same factories as the branded stuff but don’t pass quality control to get into the branded boxes but do pass the quality control to be edible, so they sell them to supermarkets instead.

Many years ago I came across an amazing transitional fossil - a morrisons rice pudding tub, with a tesco lid. Blew my mind.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Aren't they the lads that grew weed in Lock Stock?

Curtains boy stole my workshirts.

Finally, someone giving a voice to the voiceless.

Golly would you look at the time! Is it 2006 already?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

minimum wage but also they dock your pay for accomodation and food

like, from what I've heard it's essentially indentured servitude, and if you don't pick enough a day or if it isn't high enough quality they'll get rid of you immediately

I wouldn't be doing it for the money really given that my partner is the breadwinner in the household, 'cause I've sort've given up on myself or on having a 'normal' career or life at this point

EDIT I have no illusions, it's extremely likely I'd be utterly miserable the entire time, but why am I too good for being miserable when other people have to be? Also perhaps it'd toughen me up a bit

There's no virtue in suffering. If you need the money then yeah, take it. But putting yourself through hardship just because you feel bad about not being in hardship seems like self-flagellation.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^

Anthony Bourdain posted:

Garlic is divine. Few food items can taste so many distinct ways, handled correctly. Misuse of garlic is a crime. Old garlic, burnt garlic, garlic cut too long ago and garlic that has been tragically smashed through one of those abominations, the garlic press, are all disgusting. Please treat your garlic with respect. Sliver it for pasta, like you saw in Goodfellas; don't burn it. Smash it, with the flat of your knife blade if you like, but don't put it through a press. I don't know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain't garlic. And try roasting garlic. It gets mellower and sweeter if you roast it whole, still on the clove, to be squeezed out later when it's soft and brown. Nothing will permeate your food more irrevocably and irreparably than burnt or rancid garlic. Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screw-top jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic.

His Divine Shadow posted:

If there is one gadget for the kitchen that looks fiddly and pointless it must be the apple-lathe. But when you got kids who like themselves some apples but not the peel, they are incredibly handy. Ours have peeled hundreds of apples by now.

Also they're a really fun way to eat apples.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 20, 2020

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone been baking? I've been taking a look at getting be started with sourdough but besides getting the starter going it seems to call for a lot more equipment than I expected. I keep reading I should use a Dutch oven (lol) but will any heavy metal lidded dish do? I don't really want to get this stuff and have to move it out of my dad's in a few months.

I make my sourdough in a cake tin with a tray of water in the bottom of the oven. No need for fancy stuff.

(There is probably need for an actual bread tin)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

If you laid out all those corpses end to end, how many times could you go to the moon and back?

If you took all those corpses and laid them on the ground in a 5x5 square you'd cause a great deal of distress to their families and loved ones.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oodles posted:

Science Museum in London is. Fight me.

:colbert:

When i was in London I went on so many dates to the science museam, it owns.

Also took a girl to the Institute of Sexology exhibit at the Welcome Trust. We saw Sigmund Freud's cigar box. It's just a cigar box.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

My office saved me time and just stopped employing me so the lugging is one way.

I trust it included your desk, your office chair, and all the copper wire you could rip out the walls?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Isn't the impact of IT higher than that of flying now? And not just because of the virus

Surely the same argument that people are using against travel can be used against staring at SA on your PC

But think of the different amount of time people invest into it. IT is just there as a background thing in our lives, which makes it a lot harder to get rid off compared to flying, which is a nice descrete activity that you only do infrequently.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Monarch posted:

I can't think of, and I've never heard proposed, a way to limit "frivolous" air travel without also restricting immigration. I don't think you can pick and choose who gets freedom of movement, so if you want people to be able to escape terrible regimes or economic collapses you have to accept people moving south because they're sick of jumpers.

And in general I don't really believe in the notion that letting people take vacations is frivolous, or that a globalist view of society is bad or a dream. Experiencing new cultures and setting broadens your horizons, and makes you more capable of analyzing your own. A large part of my leftist identity comes from reading about the Nordic social systems (when I was younger) and realizing that yes, better things are possible and there's no reason not to have those same systems here. Other-izing other people and cultures is the most powerful tool of the far-right. If the people are generally more aware of and comfortable with cultures other than their own that otherization becomes a lot harder.

Two birds with one stone: Build loads of trains with antiair rocket launchers on top.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I suppose. I just don't like hurting folk and get the feeling I do by accident. I don't know what to do to make people like me and it is getting to me.

I like you bugman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Got to love how he answers a question about suicide by jamming in slogans and then a casual "happy with the answer?" to Whittay. Callous piece of poo poo.