Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

blood in pints.

I was going to say this isn't true but realise I don't actually know, despite working in (white) blood cell collection for a long time. Pretty sure they are just 500ml +/- 25ml (plus anticoagulant).

Some years ago I worked on a therapy made from whole blood but I can't remember the specifics of the collection :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DesperateDan posted:

I'm grabbing my hoe and I'm off to the back garden to get utterly filthy

I have a question for you Dan and other green fingered people: my house is new and there are no plants or trees in the small area around it. How easy is it to make tree seedlings from cuttings? Buying tree seedlings seems to be megabucks.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

A UK unit of blood is 525ml +/- just enough to make it actually a pint.

I admire your confidence about this and various other things, but I think you are wrong. 450ml collected and packed into 280ml units - which happily is half a pint.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.transfusionguidelines.o...ume-of-donation

quote:

3.7: Volume of donation
For whole blood a donation of 450 mL±10% is required to ensure the final red cell component meets specification. No more than 15% of the estimated blood volume should be taken during any one donation. In general 470–475 mL of blood, excluding samples, is collected into the main pack.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DesperateDan posted:

you essentially clamp a plastic ball around a tree branch (with some bark peeled away) with some wet moss inside and it roots the sapling while still attached to the main tree.

this year I bought lots of bare root transplants from a firm (hedging.co.uk) and sorted them myself and it was a lot cheaper.

I think the ball clamping may be a bit advanced for me but thanks for the advice. I'll look for slightly more commercial suppliers.

i say swears online posted:

it sucks loving rear end unless you're pretty good at it. buy the tree sapling imo

Thanks

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

thespaceinvader posted:

ALso put on people clothes, every day of the week. Optional at the weekends.

I resent this extremely sensible advice

Wachter posted:

Can anyone recommend a poo poo-hot milhist podcast?

Nothing at all to do with what you asked, but if you haven't seen it you should watch Project Binky on YouTube. I also envy people who can binge watch it now rather than having it gradually unfold over several years.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 2, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The host immune response in respiratory virus infection: balancing virus clearance and immunopathology
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4896975/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'm planning on going camping this weekend as well, nothing too adventurous, just up the hill from where the house is. Girlfriend is Not Keen so far. But we have decent gear and the weather is going to be nice so hopefully she will come round to the idea.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A mate's daughter picked a great time to get appendicitis. Perforated last night while the hospital was deciding whether they could give up a bed for her (but surgery went OK subsequently).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Stormgale posted:

As I understood it from when it came up there's nothing in the legislation that says you have to provide ID or a reason for travel as I understand it. And they detained her for failing to provide them.

I know the answer to this is going to be "no" but it feels like police officers should be personally liable for this kind of negligence. At least in civil court?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oodles posted:

I baked bread. It wasn’t terrible. But I think I need a bigger loaf tin.

Looks good. If you spray a load of water using a misting bottle (like you might use for plants) it makes the crust nice and crispy.

E: spray the water at the time you stick the dough in the oven

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Junior G-man posted:

I used 100% bread flour (i think? I'm in Switzerland and what they sell here is what I think is bread flour but it doesn't translate very well), and used this recipe:

Which bit of Switzerland? I'm currently bravely hiding in Valais.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is it just a statistical wrinkle caused by the small sample size that so far four doctors but only two nurses have died of COVID? I'd have thought nurses, who are more numerous and spend a lot more time close to/in contact with patients, would have had a much larger toll. I suppose against that doctors are older and much more male than nurses, both of which put them at higher risk.

n=6 isn't enough to say very much. Maybe also docs are doing the high risk procedures, and at least the first couple were respiratory physicians which maybe fits with getting it doing intubations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

communism bitch posted:

Dunno poo poo about what the dude's saying, but interesting:

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1246063815508348928

I think he's right, asymptomatic people testing positive doesn't mean that they will stay asymptomatic. But it's unclear what proportion of people have asymptomatic but contagious infections, because there isn't enough testing happening.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

poo poo getting extremely real

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1246901639832907777

Shameless cretin Piers Morgan has a NHS logo as his Twitter handle

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Isn't this usually the point where someone comes charging into the thread to call us all ghouls? Aren't they a bit late tonight?

It appears Boris truly was able to bring the country together

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Chinese Gordon posted:

The PM is not being admitted to hospital for 'tests'. He can get oxygen in place in the flat if necessary. He's getting tubed for almost definite.

Also, much as I despise the man I don't think him dying is likely to be 'good'. Not when you look at who is likely to replace him, and how much it'd deflect attention from the absolute disaster that has been the UK Rona Respose.

Boris exiting likely means the end of Cummings' authority and while BJ's potential replacements are unpleasant they definitely don't have the same kind of support that he does.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Boris now governing the country by blinking

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1247240275791134720?s=19

Happening status: it's

And it couldn't happen on a nicer page

Holy loving poo poo

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Orthopedics is basically woodwork/metalwork but with more surgical masks.

There was historically a problem with orthopaedic surgeons losing the screwdrivers that match bone implants, and just using one from home instead.

This causes problems because if the metal composition isn't the same, the tiny filings of metal that come off when you tighten up the screws form a battery in the salty electrolyte of plasma and you get galvanic corrosion of the implants, and whatever metal ions leaking out. Bad times.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/DVATW/status/1247424143219359744

David Vance remains the dumbest motherfucker on Twitter, a remarkable achievement he shares with the people who follow him and are queueing up to report this joke to the GMC.

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamndsmith/status/1247433663429705728

All extremely amusing

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Josef bugman posted:

I wonder why the Sun and the rest are struggling at the moment in particular? I mean people aren't buying dailies as much (for obvious reasons) but is it scaring them this much?

Old people who normally buy physical papers are struggling to do that with all the midazolam in their systems.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He is actually very exercised about this effect but not for the reason you may think. He's an economics reporter for the FT who is terrified we might miss the peak by a few days and so - gasp - might not start unlocking as soon as possible.

Someone needs to let him know that economics isn't a real science. He should stfu until the medics tell him he can restart making graphs with no units on the axes

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.24.20042937v1 is a pre-print of a paper exploring the possibility - I'll leave it to wiser posters to point out any glaring errors in it.

quote:

Our data suggests that BCG vaccination seem to significantly reduce mortality associated with COVID-19.

This sentence (and the paper in general) is a pretty good example of an ecological fallacy. They don't have the data for these inferences.

This blog post explains the issues well:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/madhukarpai/2020/04/12/bcg-against-coronavirus-less-hype-and-more-evidence-please/#7145f9c06b4f

The WHO cautions that there's no evidence that BCG vaccination is protective against COVID-19:
https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/bacille-calmette-gu%C3%A9rin-(bcg)-vaccination-and-covid-19

(apols if these links have been posted, I've been taking an internet break)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Endjinneer posted:

If you want to go wander into the lovely lovely mountains, continental walking trails are for the most part really well marked with signs and splotches of paint on rocks or trees along the way. There are often routes that will take you to a mountain hut or refreshment shack. Be a bit cautious with the route times marked on signs. Swiss maps are all available through a free smartphone app.

In Switzerland at least, you should be aware that the trail markings are red = hiking trail, blue = alpine mountaineering trail. Blue is harder than you want to do, for example, on your own in running gear :eek:

A couple of amazing huts are the Cabane de Moiry or the Tracuit. If you come to either after the apocalypse let me know and I'll buy you a beer.

(*as I found on the Col de La Chaux. Mostly fine except a very unstable scree field)