Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Aphex- posted:

Huh so my girlfriend and I just found out that now they're only letting one person per couple/household into supermarkets at a time. Guess I'll sit in the car then!!!

That's something that has been going on around here since weekend before last. Fine for us since we're less than 5 minutes' walk to the supermarket but was something of a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I'm still shaving because I look crap with s beard but the missus was curious as to how I'd look with longer hair now, considering I haven't had longer than jaw-length in a decade I figured why not?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

they're going to hide him away from everyone so he doesn't get asked about the rape

Even if they did manage to ask him about it the odds of getting an answer that isn't utter gibberish is less than zero.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

HJB posted:

Starmer responds to the day's events:

This is actually from 2016 but let's be honest he'll be milquetoastier now if anything

Yeah the expectation some folks on social media seem to have of Starmer actually having any sort of response to this, other than the equivalent of "The truth lies in the middle" non-committal wankery is mind-boggling. The bloke demonstrably has no strong feelings on anything other than his haircut and dismissing celebrity noncery. This is a pipebomb but as has been shown culpable parties are already hard at work scrubbing social media and trying to downplay this. They'll do their damnedest to bury this and if MSM bothers to pick up on it, it'll only be to show the opposition as a bunch of conniving, backstabbing twats compared to the current government who are all super good and handling this crisis well and the Lord and Saviour Boris has returned! Praise be!

(Also hello been lurking here since slightly before the Manchester Arena bombing - remember staying up to read this thread that night as it had rolling updates plus some appreciated efforts to comfort others/lighten the mood. You're all good eggs and have been an invaluable source of reliable information and entertaining bants so thanks for that).

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I just want to see where he lands between "gently caress the party establishment" and "gently caress the membership" personally. In all likelihood he's going to say "gently caress the membership", but how he chooses to say it will be the important bit. Hopefully in the most centrist way possible, because it's going to loving solidify an already further hardened left off the back of today.

I agree with you, he'll probably lean towards the safer option of "gently caress the membership" but try to employ as much damage control as he can. I reckon he might try to use it as a come-to-jesus moment to try and create unity but in my opinion he doesn't have the speaking chops to pull it off and it would backfire horribly. I just hope that some high-profile Labour MPs remain increasingly vocal and pissed off about it, so those of us who are also vocal and/or pissed off about this have a figure to rally around. Otherwise it will get buried and then back to business as usual.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Personally I hope he stays quiet as gently caress about it for a few days because i've got enough material to deal with in that massive bastard report for the podcast and don't need any more work do you hear me keir???? :mad:

Don't worry mate I'm pretty sure anything he says will be masked by a cavalcade of BOJO'S BACK!!!! articles and interviews-

Actually that'd make it the perfect time for him to respond because then he can shovel cold porridge in everyone's mouth and nobody will notice. Suppose he could just hide under a pile of coats until it's all over. Keep an eye out for conspicuous grey quiffs poking out from behind hedges or cars for the time being. :)

E: Got the upcoming week of work (lol for all the good that is right now) so I'll dip in to some podcasts when I find the time.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. If you do most of the time you just end up drowning it.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Look guys I'm sorry it's dark times and a Toffee Crisp now and then really helps me and the missus get through this. I'll pay it back when we're not all under lock and key I promise. :(

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

keir "pasty" starmer

I was waiting for this, thank you.

Pistol_Pete posted:

It can't be emphasised enough that the Labour right absolutely want left-wing members to be cancelling their memberships: every leftie who storms off makes the Labour right that little bit more powerful within the party.

Grit your teeth, stay in, use your voting powers whenever you can and keep engaged. If Starmer's as useless as his initial actions suggest, this'll become obvious to the party as a whole pretty rapidly. I'm actually taking part in tonight's Zoom call, so I can see for myself how he comes across when just talking to members.

I think this is bang on - the folks who are themselves, or even just advocating to others leaving the party and cancelling their memberships are more than likely looking for a means to vent their disappointment and frustration at the outcome and the evident uselessness of Starmer. They want to be proactive and take some sort of action - any action - that says "This bullshit is not on. I do not like. I do not want. I am using my voice and means to tell you this", and I commend that. But you're right, it absolutely plays into the hands of the right elements of the party. It doesn't help that the utter vitriol and bile being spat at the left-wing members by the right side of the party makes it increasingly grating, but they're shooting themselves in the foot - like it or not, their strategy hinges on being able to court the left-wing elements of the party. If they can't do that, they can't unseat the Tories, so come election time I expect them to be showing up with flowers and choccies and trying to airbrush over all this nastiness - the work the left have to do comes much before that time, in the here and now, to be active and make the right's bargaining position that much weaker and our own stronger.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Rustybear posted:

They'll just run a Democratic Party style 'vote for us or get Boris' wedge, it's all they know. Or they'll abandon the left in favour of courting legitimately concerned former UKIP voters or some such.

Honestly i hope you're right but it's far from certain that they think they 'need' the left.

What can I say, I'm an optimist outside of my own head. :)

I'm just trying to imagine what their game plan is and what the political lay of the land will be in 5 years time. Assuming the Labour right take the path of least resistance, is it easier to try and court the Labour left, or try to win over UKIP voters? Try to tap into that enormous well of people who didn't turn out to vote (32.7%)? And what's the Conservative voter base going to look like when the dust settles from Covid-19? I can't imagine any outcome of the Covid-19 pandemic & full speed ahead Brexit being anything other than economic depression for the country, so how will that frame everything as a backdrop? These are all factors for the next GE and we haven't even touched on what could still happen in this hell-year of 2020 and beyond.

... Nah, more likely they'll do just what you said; a Democratic Party style ultimatum supported by Guardian wankers like Jonathan Freedland begging the left to "hold their nose and vote Starmer" while oblivious to the hypocrisy that they refused to do just that when it was Corbyn's turn, lose, and then blame the left for the outcome. Just like that bicycle meme.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Pre- Covid 19: "There is no magic money tree."

During Covid 19: "We have found the magic money tree."

Post- Covid 19: "We have hosed the magic money tree to death. There really is no magic money tree now."

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Iggy Pop looking a lot healthier these days.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

That is almost certainly a guarantee I'm afraid. Even if we weren't extremely likely to smash into a recession when the pandemic is "over" it'd still be a perfect narrative excuse to jump feet-first into austerity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

lol I work in local government and today we were told we're not even aiming to start a phased comeback to the office until December. This bollocks is going to do exactly what they said they didn't want to do - ease the lockdown and have a second wave of murderdeathdie.

And the press lap it up, and I continue to scream internally and drink to dull the pain of reality.