Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh someone asked about FF14 server in the last thread I am on Excalibur-NA with a shitload of other goons

That was me; I went with Omega with the EU goons. Finally made it to Heavensward, the fabled point where the game got gud (and it really did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bardeh posted:

I resubbed the other day on Omega too, but I'm at the end of ARR and I'm faced with 100 boring fetch quests before the first expansion and I just...can't. I'm considering paying for the skip - is Heavenward that much better that's it's worth it?

Personally I wouldn't pay for the skip - the story pays off in spades as it builds towards HW, so if you've made it this far you might as well power through. HW has the same basic mechanics, but it is structured a lot better - far more expansive maps to explore, a much more focused story, new single player dungeons that mean a lot less 4 and 8 player encounters to queue for, just a lot more focus and interest everywhere. I'm not an MMO person, and a lot of ARR was... fine, I guess, but I'm genuinely invested now.

I did pay for the machinist level skip way back though, so I've been able to power though absolutely everything.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

Cowboy Junkies are one of the best known alt-country acts in the world and have been for decades. I've seen them live multiple times.

I'm sure they're great, but you might be grossly overestimating the cultural penetration of alt-country music.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doesn't that flatly contradict everything we've seen so far? How is spreading so quickly otherwise?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That was the first time I've seen Starmer in motion, he looks like he's being haunted by a ghost.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Isn't this usually the point where someone comes charging into the thread to call us all ghouls? Aren't they a bit late tonight?

Unfortunately they don't have a pub to conveniently be needed at a few minutes later.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ugh, I can't take any pleasure from seeing this happen in realtime, even to someone like Johnson. He's a bastard, but I just want people like him gone from power, nothing else.

I honestly hope he survives, but I also hope that seeing someone so public go this badly downhill will convince the people who aren't taking this seriously to do so.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If this year keeps going at this kind of clip then it's going to be March 2021 at the earliest before someone remembers that we technically hard Brexited, and everyone will be too busy with the sudden arrival of C'thulu to even acknowledge it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

He's already loving untouchable

Living will make him a hero, death will make him a martyr

Maybe we can get him to pull a Jorp Peterson and wind up in a shady Russian clinic with his brain half melted from beef and benzos.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MonkeyLibFront posted:

he retorted that doing nothing would have killed more

The gently caress does he mean by that? Doing nothing would have meant that existing spending would have continued, which demonstrably would have helped more people.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The AMD Ryzen range is solid as hell too. Mainly what you need is a current gen CPU, regardless of what power you settle on. Modern CPUs are extremely quick off the mark compared to older gens, so even a relatively cheap one is going to handle day to day tasks well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Mate, i hate to tell you this but everything is an appeal to emotions. Trying to talk solely in graphs and charts and so on is also an appeal to the emotion of "You are smart because you understand this".

See also Brexit, where remainers furiously pushed economic stats to the front and it was like water off a duck's back in the face of "your life is poo poo, let's shake things up!".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What is my best option for cooling an attic room with skylight windows, for up to let's say a couple hundred pounds? It is already starting to get summery as hell up there, so I should probably actually invest in something this year, and do it early.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Does opening the windows not work? Especially if you open them and the door it should vent really well as you're well placed to catch the wind/suck air up from the ground floor.

Nah, the room is just an insane heat sponge, I've literally opened both doors to the house and made a cold air tunnel that blew through the house and it was half useful at best. I'm thinking of the near 40 degree summer we had and I absolutely cannot do that again if we get a repeat.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

crispix posted:

Now if the Democrats can just figure out a way for Unca Joe to remember his own name and stop sniffing women for a few months

And not loving die as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The main thing I've noticed when going to the supermarket is that people are happy obeying the two metre rule while queueing... But on the way to the queue will walk directly past everyone, because there's a barrier in between them.

I'd laugh it off as one of those blind spots people have if wasn't going to kill shitloads of people.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Should I even bother voting at this point, like at all? Is there any point to anything except a spoiled ballot? It's backstabbing careerists all the way down.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Decorum needs to die, immediately. Sorry Corbyn/Bernie, you're completely irrelevant in today's world. You will always be a monument for what we could have had in a better world, but these people are the enemy and are completely insidious. Weeds need digging up at the root. Pricks. I hate loving everything right now.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hahahaha, what a loving shot across the bows, and all the little shits can do about it is bleat about GDPR being violated. Like anyone loving cares, it's all out there now you two-faced assholes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How close can you get to openly and repeatedly calling them backstabbing careerists who need to be gulaged without getting suspended from the party?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wasn't Sam Matthews the very first person to appear in that Labour antisemitism smear programme?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

:laffo:

I was willing to give Starmer a chance to enact his ten pledges and see if the centrists had once again badly misread the room, but it seems the first big test has been failed right out the loving gate. Backstabbing and treachery embedded deep within the party apparatus? gently caress that, someone didn't follow the official channels, the greatest crime of all!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If Starmer knew then nothing short of his resignation will get my vote.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Even with tap water, the water around here is poo poo (and half the pipes are corroded lead) but you can feel good by buying a fully recyclable Brita filter, with an electronic gauge to tell you when you need to fit another one to keep up your £30 a pack filter payments.

Lol, my housemate has one of those. The filters last a pathetically short time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ugh, a friend's lost his dad and one of our pub quiz regulars is gone too, both confirmed coronavirus. My friend was granted a final visit at least, but he's now in quarantine for 14 days.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/JewishChron/status/1149200550845702144

He gave this interview just after he was sabotaging everything. Utterly heinous.

I've gone to the conclusion that centrists liberals are the true evil of the world. At least fascists are angry about something, however misguided their beliefs and however horrifying their methods. People like this are just these soulless husks who don't seem to care about anything whatsoever beyond their own comfort and happiness, chasing popularity by saying and doing literally anything, seeing no problem and feeling no guilt in endangering other people with sabotage and lies then immediately crying about how it's someone else's fault with full and convincing crocodile tears. It's sociopathy as a political tool.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

Is there a better search engine than Google or a way to make Google not suck?

It just doesn't bother actually looking for the specific thing you ask for anymore

Bing is perfectly good, I'd go with that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I've been doing my share of the cooking at my parents and they are gobsmacked at how I am somehow 'really good at it'. I'm extremely average and my one and only secret is that I know how to use herbs and spices, lol. I do not understand how people can get this far in life without learning how to season poo poo. :britain:

My favourite part of "being a good cook" is basically just my willingness to use a large knife. Loads of people feel like they're somehow going to slice all their fingers off with a large knife, then proceed to use a tiny blade for everything and barely escape without a knife through their fingers with every meal.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

All I know is pasties go on nipples.

They do if you drop them.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yep, flat of a knife to crush garlic. If you don't just use one big knife that you've come to rely on for everything then what kind of cook even are you.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like cooking but not spending a lot of time on it, so I do a lot of stir-frys. Some combination of chilli, ginger, lime and soy sauce usually does the job, big fan of smoked paprika too. Just throw it all in a wok until done.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

I have enough flour for a dozen good loaves but only about 3 packs of easy yeast left, haven't seen any in months and I'm not about to go pissing about with making raisin yeast juice yet

I would kill everyone in this thread for just one pack of that easy yeast. poo poo's like gold dust. Morrisons had flour yesterday, but they had literally stuck it in the thick paper bags they put pasties and stuff in and put a label on it, so I'm guessing they just used the flour they get in bulk for their bakers and decided to sell it in lieu of having any of their regular stock.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

It's looking increasingly likely that 2020 as a year is a write off

I'm starting to regret dunking on the pedants pointing out that the new decade technically begins in 2021.

I started the year by getting a hernia, then being signed off from work with stress, but I wanted to start the new decade strong, so I decided it didn't matter, that I'd get those two things sorted and hit the rest of the year fresh.

So I did get them sorted, exactly in time for quarantine to start. I had the hernia surgery on a Friday and lockdown was announced for Monday.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

How did you grow confident enough in your online anonymity to confess to necrophilia

Depends, if he's raising the dead then I'd give zero fucks as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Saros posted:

I read the comments, extreme "my friend" energy.

At least she's getting bodied in them.

She is desperately trying to argue that she her friends won't be going near any old people, so they won't be killing anyone!

And yes, she is getting absolutely slammed for it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you're furloughed then you can't do any work for them, so either he's still employed at full pay and needs to sign a new contract if they want to drop his salary by 20%, or he's furloughed and shouldn't be doing any work.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Isomermaid posted:

They never do the work and define what they DO want, in fact they don't even do the work and articulate what specifically they DON'T like about Labour. One even turned up to my CLP with a whole page of this poo poo he'd written down to rattle off in his 2 minutes in that kind of Paul Joseph Watson, hostage-reading-a-script-at-gunpoint style. Nothing but hot air and huffing their own farts these people. I notice he didn't turn up to the next meetings when we were campaigning.

It's the "I want to speak to the manager" of politics, just shaming people for not aligning their politics to their desire to not be bothered by anything in life because they are blinkered, selfish little shits. The only answer is to tell them to accept that other people want different things in life, and if they don't like it and aren't willing to fight for an alternative then they can gently caress off. It won't convince them, but some people just need to be rudely shut down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I watched the first four episodes of Westworld and that was enough. I don't loving care about their cowboy bullshit, we know they're all fake from minute one, get to the point.