Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I posted on the old thread at the exact moment you killed it so my words of wisdom have disappeared into the ether. Boo hoo.

Anyone else feel like they wasted most of March? I'm determined from tomorrow morning to try and get back on track with life and stop obsessively watching sky news, online newspapers, twitter (a really bad habit I have fallen into this last month).

Lockdown doesn't make too much difference to my life except I can't help noticing that Waitrose now has lots of empty icecream freezers - only the very expensive stuff left - and the chocolate shelves are looking very skimpy except for the easter eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

FFS the bit I could read without logging in for my free article is worded to make it look like the hospitals are the ones slacking on testing and Johnson will make them do it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Graun cartoon:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

A Town, Lost to Coronavirus

Join us on BBC's feature length documentary

"Bollocks to the EUnion made virus i say, don't need no masks if we've dranken 120 proof innit

They would say 'isn't it' not 'innit' at the end there.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Went for a long walk this morning (well 1hr) up the river bank, hardly anyone about.
Looked at newspaper headlines through a shop window - daily mail print edition headline "Fix testing fiasco now"
Criticism of ministers! The worm is turning?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

LearninCurve (or anyone!)

When you said 'text based version' of shopping websites for delivery slots, what did you mean?
A friend has been trying for ages to get a slot on Tesco to no avail and so I told him what you said and now he wants to know what that means ... erm....
I'm guessing it's to do with accessibility?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

josh04 posted:

Apparently on a two week time delay, Mervyn King has been rolled out to suggest that long-term quarantine measures are "unrealistic" and we should be focused on getting immune people back to work.

Maybe, but until we have national testing we won't know!

But also, we don't actually know if people are either immune in the first place or gain immunity after infection and if they do how long that immunity might last and if it confers immunity on a mutated virus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Very interesting article on The Physics of Public Opinion from January's Physics World.

https://physicsworld.com/a/the-physics-of-public-opinion/

Not quoting whole article, but just a short extract. Read the whole if you're interested.

quote:

Majority rules yielding minority spreading

Galam has spent most of his career explaining the kind of unexpected results that seem to periodically arise in politics and public debate. He ascribes this to “minority opinion spreading”, where an initial vocal minority turns a majority towards its position. Rather than being a response to a specific political issue, Galam says this is a sociological phenomenon that can be modelled along a similar path used in statistical physics to reach global behaviour from local interactions.

Galam’s model uses a majority-rule-based approach, with repeated local small group discussions occurring within the network. Think of these as the real-life lunches, coffee breaks and dinner parties where people discuss the news. During these encounters, people change their views to follow the local majority, unless faced with an equal opinion split within the group. In the latter case, people are likely to support the position that offers the least change or is in tune with their unconscious prejudices (Eur. Phys. J. B 25 403). As a result, over a number of updates and continuing debates, opinions shift to support the status quo or the opinion in tune with the activated prejudices.

An opinion that starts in the minority can quickly spread as long as it is above a base threshold. Galam suggests this threshold is just above 23% for groups of four people. In other words, although some groups of four start with no-one holding the minority view, over a series of updates a person will encounter split groups, causing a switch to the minority position. And after each update, the proportion of people holding the minority view will increase. Getting to a final point happens remarkably quickly. “In all cases the number of updates is less than 10,” Galam says. However, transposing that to real time would need an understanding of the speed of each update, which will increase, for example, as an election comes closer. One update could be between a few days and one to two weeks.

I did download Foundation (Asimov) a few months ago to reread as in the context of facebook and so on's algorithms, I was thinking of Hari Seldon's psychohistory (and wondering who 'The Mutant' was in our society) - but I haven't got round to it yet!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jose posted:

950k universal credit claims since lockdown started

Whole lot of people about to learn how bad benefits are

But aren't they going to be £20 per month better than pre-crisis? Riches beyond the dreams of avarice.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bardeh posted:

E: ^^^^ why the HECK didn't you rub that tummy you monster

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/cats-can-infect-each-other-with-coronavirus-chinese-study-finds

quote:

Cat owners may wish to be more cautious about contact with their pets, as a study from China has revealed Covid-19 can be transmitted between cats.

The team, at Harbin Veterinary Research Institute in China, found that cats are highly susceptible to Covid-19 and appear to be able to transmit the virus through respiratory droplets to other cats. Dogs, chickens, pigs and ducks were found to be unlikely to catch the infection, however.

The findings followed recent reports of a pet cat in Belgium being infected with Covid-19. About a week after the cat’s owner started showing symptoms, the cat also developed breathing difficulties, diarrhoea and vomiting, and subsequent tests by vets at the University of Liège showed the animal was infected with coronavirus.

etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

A lot of people making space for an extra large television set and picking out jewellery from the Argos catalogue are going to be in for a nasty surprise imo

Why? Everyone knows that if you're on benefits the first thing you do is get an extra large 4000K plasma screen tv. I've seen it on Channel 5 so it must be true.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tarnop posted:

I'm pretty sure that's :thejoke:

Yeah I got it :) Mine is a joke too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Does anyone know if TSB have any kind of maximum withdrawal over the counter? Cuz I need to lift £1300 out of my account, and for obvious reasons, I'd rather do it in as few journeys as possible.

Make sure you have a good reason why you need that much cash to ensure it qualifies as 'essential'.

My mother was fretting about putting money into the grandkids' savings accounts - those accounts you're supposed to make a monthly payment else the whole thing died - and was adamant she was going to break isolation to do it (she lives in the countryside miles from anywhere). So as a compromise, my sister got the passbooks off her and dropped them through my window last night for me to go do it for her.

Anyway, I went to the relevant Financial Services Emporium and they were categorical that they are banned from doing any non-essential transactions - savings are not essential - which basically consisted of getting cash to buy food. (Also they know my mother well and told me to tell her not to worry - exceptional circumstances yada yada).

(Mother is 82, does not have online banking and has a neurological condition which causes terrible handshake so she wouldn't be able to operate one anyway as she can't get the mouse cursor in the various little boxes, and has a propensity to believe emails purporting to come from banks and if she doesn't bank with the spam bank, she will alight on one of her offsprings who does as obviously the bank are emailing our mother about our accounts - I give up).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1245457981917069313?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's because my mother booked a holiday using my account that's almost certainly going to be cancelled, and if it's refunded, it'll go back into my account. Except one of the conditions of my Carer's Allowance/Income Support is not having any more than £6k in savings, which the holiday being refunded would put me over.

So what should I tell them?

Hm difficult.

Will the DWP not see £1300 out - presumably you will take it out first before a refund - and back in to your account?
I'm sure you've thought of it, but if not, I think you can withdraw £300 a day via ATM - could you do that instead over a few days though if it's in a savings account might not have an ATM card for it I guess.
But you still might have the problem if the DWP look at your statements. (I don't know how this works at all btw).
(Or does your mother have an account you could transfer it to?)

Of course, the other thing is the TSB might not ask you at all, so this might be a fuss over nothing, but if you can think of something in case might be handy.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 1, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Oh, I've got the ATM card for it, it's just in a current account. The idea of taking it out a few hundred at a time did occur to me, but I wanted to cut down on the number of journeys to and from the ATM, for obvious reasons.

And yeah, I'm hoping they just do it no questions asked, but I just wanna have a backup in case I'm put on the spot. Maybe helping a friend pay rent?

That's possible.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Wonder what brought this on? Google to stop supporting climate change denial companies claiming CV made them rethink.

https://agreenergoogle.com/

quote:

Today Google stops funding climate change deniers

Sundar Pichai
CEO of Google and Alphabet
Published April 1, 2020

In lieu of our normal April Fools’ joke, today we’re getting serious. Over the past few weeks, the world has come to a halt, our healthcare systems have been overwhelmed, and countless people are experiencing food and housing insecurity. This crisis has caused Google to reflect on how critical it is to respond to another global emergency: climate change. Today, we would like to announce a small step in that direction: we will stop our funding of organizations that deny or work to block action on climate change, effective immediately.

Our Story

For 21 years, Google’s mission has been to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. However, since 2013, we have funded think tanks, policy-makers, and lobbyists that supported strong technology policies, but also spread misinformation about climate change. Many of these organizations have actively worked to derail environmental protections, often successfully. Today, Google is ready to say that this is completely unacceptable, and we are declaring a zero tolerance policy for funding any entities that oppose aggressive actions to halt climate change.

We started out by parting ways with the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) in 2014. After a hiatus, we now resume this journey by immediately ending our relationships with all climate change-denying groups, including:

The Competitive Enterprise Institute, which urged the Trump administration to withdraw from the Paris Accords,[1]
The American Enterprise Institute, which has called the climate crisis an "antihuman worldview,"[2]
Americans for Tax Reform, which has promoted the claim that the science behind climate change is manipulated by the agenda of liberal scientists,[3]
The Heritage Foundation and Heritage Action, which has called carbon dioxide something "insidious and ridiculous to regulate,"[4] and was also a main driver behind the withdrawal from the Paris Accords,
The American Conservative Union, whose chairman, Matt Schlapp, has vocally opposed climate measures like the EPA’s Clean Power Plan,[5]
The Cato Institute, which has opposed climate legislation, claiming that there is "ample time" to address the climate crisis,[6]
The Mercatus Center, which frequently opposes environmental regulations,[7] in one instance arguing that smog-free skies would result in more cases of skin cancer,[8]
The State Policy Network, launched by ALEC and the Heartland Institute,[9] the latter an extremist organization that claims "the global warming crisis is over", and that "there is no need to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and no point in attempting to do so".[10] They have also called for removing the Environmental Protection Agency, rolling back all environmental regulations and stopping the funding of the renewable energy sector.[11]

Our Apology

The COVID-19 pandemic has reverberated deeply at Google. It has forced us to recognize how, similar to climate change, ignoring the science about an emerging crisis can result in suffering on a global scale, disproportionately affecting the most vulnerable.

Therefore, Google would like to issue the following apologies, to our employees, our shareholders, our customers, and our users:

We apologize for putting profit over the planet by funding climate change deniers.
We apologize for stalling to take actions, even after our funding was brought to light.
We apologize for taking no responsibility over our sponsored parties' agenda. As our ex-chairman put it:
The facts of climate change are not in question anymore,... the people who oppose it are really hurting our children and our grandchildren and making the world a much worse place. And so we should not be aligned with such people — they're just, they're just literally lying.
Eric Schmidt, regarding our withdrawal from ALEC in 2014.

etc ...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Mate of mine who's on the vulnerable people list had his Asda delivery cancelled last minute; fortunately he'd been keeping track of it, saw it was going to be mostly unavailable even if it had arrived, and made other arrangements. (Also I offered to do a shopping run for him), so do not depend on Asda.

There are a few reports in the Heil finance pages :guillotine: of peoples' deliveries getting cancelled because when the supermarkets tried to take the money from the debit cards the bank he say no because 'suspicious activity' vulnerable people on a 12 week lockdown doing something unusual - ordering groceries online - causes the auto-fraud detector thing to kick in and by the time they answer the texts the delivery slot is lost.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

hemale in pain posted:

i love the auto fraud detector. stops me buying steam games but not when someone emptied my account to buy petrol something i've never bought in a place i've never been to.

I mustn't grumble - it's annoying when it kicks in, but one time it kicked in I was living abroad and someone had used my card number 3 x to get £79 from moneybookers on the same day - a site I have never used - and then the fraud thing blocked my card. This happened shortly (within 2 days) of me using my tablet (over my usual house network) to buy an airline ticket - the first and last time I will ever use a mobile phone or tablet to do anything involving money unless it becomes compulsory. Not convinced of the security of sites designed for mobiles.

:corsair:

(That was about 8 years ago now so I dare say things are more secure. Still, once bitten twice shy!)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

UnquietDream posted:

It's a faaaaakeee.The logo is extinction rebellion, it's one of their stunts.

April fools :D

(I did fall for it though. I just went through my history to see what I had done to get to it but nothing sprang to the eyes).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bardeh posted:

My boss specifically wrote in the letter informing me of my furlough that the conditions of the furlough meant I wasn't allowed to take on another job. I'll have to check my original contract, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't allow for other employment. I will have a chat to him anyway and see what he says.

Put it to him that it is your patriotic duty to go and pick strawberries and he'll be supporting 'the war effort' if he gives you permission.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Although I guess people losing their jobs when companies shut down are still going to be seen as workshy shirkers by Tories, aren't they? So I assume this will be slowly setting up telling people that if they don't "volunteer" for farming jobs that there aren't migrant workers to do, no benefits for you?

Tory self-employed friend - in a job she is 100% able to do from home - making a lot of noise about support for self-employed. Then Sunak comes out with his plan, but no money til June.

"Oh, that's ok" she says "June is better than nothing, and anyway all self-employed are recommended to have a contingency fund"
"Fair enough - if you have been earning enough before to build one up but in my area many self-employed people lost over a month's work already this year because of the flooding"
"Oh, that's too bad. But trade associations are helping out."
(I googled and found very little evidence of this except in one particular field, also how many painters & decorators, home salon services etc are in associations?) .
So, essentially, tory friend is "I'm alright now and it's the other self-employed peoples' fault that they're not".
This is the point at which I decided to stay off facebook for a while!(Been off over a week now).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought I'd wasted my teens/early twenties but then I looked around and realised I was 40.

I always thought I didn't start my adolescence til I was 28 though thinking back it might have been 24. I was a quiet, extremely shy, lumpen, geeky teen.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What a disgusting poo poo bag. Glad I left Labour last weekend:

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1245615554397736960?s=20

(And no, I haven't read his wretched article).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

DesperateDan posted:

So what's the easiest way of quitting the party? I mean I will wait till the result but I'm not paying even a pittance a month to be led by that sack of shite starmer

First, I stopped my direct debit (which was monthly - the late March payment had just been taken).

Then I emailed "labourmembership@labour.org.uk" quoting my membership number and also stating that I have stopped my DD, and copied my CLP chair and secretary both in.

I didn't give my reasons, my CLP Chair knows and if anyone asks her she knows enough to say it's not a hissy fit about Corbyn standing down (which it mostly isn't).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://news.stv.tv/west-central/brewery-vows-to-cut-off-beer-supply-to-wetherspoons?top

Glasgow brewery to stop supplying Wetherspoons.

quote:

By Jenness Mitchell
More details
2 Apr 2020 8:09 am

By Jenness Mitchell
jenness.mitchell@stv.tv

A Glasgow brewery has vowed to stop supplying Wetherspoons in response to the pub chain’s treatment of staff during the coronavirus pandemic.

West Brewery said they would “rather sweep the streets” than do business with Wetherspoons owner Tim Martin.

Beer: The West Brewery is based at Glasgow Green.

Pubs and restaurants were told to shut by Prime Minister Boris Johnson as part of measures to try to stop the spread of Covid-19 on Friday, March 20.

Martin came under fire for failing to assure his staff that their wages would be paid while they were unable to go into work.

In a video on the Monday evening, he told tens of thousands of employees he would pay them up until the pubs last opened, but said there would be no further payments until the Government fulfilled its promise to cover 80% of the wages of workers affected.

Instead, he suggested that staff should consider taking jobs at Tesco to make up for the loss in pay.

Following the Government’s pledge to guarantee 80% of pay for many workers, Wetherspoons announced it would pay its staff under the scheme and stated that the company’s actions were “responsible and sensible in the difficult circumstances”.

Grumpster
@mc_grumpster
· 31 Mar 2020
Replying to @Westbeer
I'd like to ask you if you would consider stopping supplying wetherspons with your product?

WEST Brewery
@Westbeer
Don’t worry. We made that decision last week. We’d rather sweep the streets than do business with people like him.

20:17 - 31 Mar 2020
Twitter Ads information and privacy
272 people are talking about this

However, West Brewery has not forgiven the company’s initial stance.

In response to a Twitter post asking if the brewery, based at Glasgow Green, would consider stopping its supply of artisan beers to Wetherspoons, a spokesperson responded: “Don’t worry. We made that decision last week.

“We’d rather sweep the streets than do business with people like him.”

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NB if you quit the labour party by simply cancelling your direct debit, if you pay monthly, you remain on the books for 6 months marked as 'arrears' for 4 months then finally coming off the books after 6 months. If you pay an annual direct debit, it can take up to 18 months to get off the books depending when your sub was last due.

That's why I emailed too.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

:agreed:

There are plenty of good people in there and it is uncomradely to abandon them, IMO.

Undoubtedly good people. However, for me, the abandonment of Palestinians by all candidates signing up to the BoD pledges is the killer. As I've said before, this is a personal issue for me, not just a matter of basic human rights and justice.
Also, just because I'm not in the party anymore doesn't mean I won't vote for them or offer support during an election. It does however mean I am free to comment on I/P issues without fear of being expelled by the party and concomitant smears. I simply do not have the financial wherewithal to do them for libel or slander.

Clap:
I did clap - not that anyone except the ducks who have commandeered our garden pond in the last couple of weeks will have heard. I heard another couple of claps too.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

U2 on the shop front
Spoon
Guns n Roses (bottom left)
Eagles.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 2, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kiss (under the Whitesnake)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Eels (between the Queen and the Prince)
Nine Inch Nails (to the left of the Prince)
Police (beyond the crossing)

There are a few that I feel like should be obvious but are killing me - the statue thing on the crossing, the litter bin tipped over, the postman, and the cowboys next to the underground station.

Statue thing = Iron maiden
Litter bin = garbage

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I was staring at it too trying to figure it out, I think Jaeluni is definitely thread queen metalhead.

If you ain't a metalhead you might as well be dead to quote the great Piledriver.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Korn on the fruit & veg stand
Red Hot Chilli Peppers too

Scissor Sisters next to the bloke smashing pumpkins.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also as there's someone ITT that dares not to know who Black Flag were, I feel the need to post this, possibly mankind's greatest achievement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ortw51VfU8U

Just look at this loving lineup:

1) Rise Above (Chuck D & Henry Rollins)
2) Nervous Breakdown (Keith Morris)
3) Fix Me (Iggy Pop)
4) American Waste (Neil Fallon)
5) I've Had It (Cedric Bixler Zavala)
6) I've Heard It Before (Jeff Moreira)
7) Room 13 (Corey Taylor)
8) Wasted (Exene Cervenka & Henry Rollins)
9) Jealous Again (Nick Oliveri)
10) TV Party (Henry Rollins)
11) No Values (Hank III)
12) Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie (Dean Ween)
13) Depression (Casey Chaos)
14) Six Pack (Mike Patton)
15) Police Story (Ice-T)
16) Revenge (Tom Araya)
17) Thirsty And Miserable (Lemmy)
18) What I See (Chuck Dukowski)
19) No More (Tim Armstrong & Lars Frederiksen)
20) Black Coffee (Henry Rollins)
21) Slip It In (Henry Rollins & Inger Lorre)
22) Annihilate This Week (Henry Rollins & Kira Roessler)
23) My War (Henry Rollins)
24) Nervous Breakdown (Ryan Adams)

I'm a big fan of Henry Rollins (not the spoken word stuff which I confess I have never listened to).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaysTVcounI

I dedicated this to all my female friends who were getting suckered by guys after visas. I wasn't popular LOL

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

His spoken-word stuff is pretty good, especially the stuff that's a bit more stand-up-ish (some of the poetry gets really loving overwrought) - some of the tales of early Black Flag (and why he's such a big meathead, at least physically) are absolutely amazing.

I remember watching Sons of Anarchy and he popped up as a fascist police person. I'm sat there thinking 'that looks like Henry Rollins' and it was.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I didn't know William Shatner had done this:

William Shatner & Henry Rollins do Jingle Bells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maiEQSBN5Sc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Trickjaw posted:

I'm in a quandary. I have to get away, or at least have something to look forward to, my parents (69&67) were trapped here when Ryanair downed tools, and I 'm going to find myself digging shallow graves soon (Sorry goons who are worried about parents, but I'm at the end of my tether)

So, I thought a nice holiday might be good. I found a good deal going to Zakynthos, leaving 31/8.Is it too early? Everyday it keeps creeping up in price, but even with insurance theres no guarantee of getting anything back, if there are no flights.

I wouldn't risk it if you can't afford to lose the money. I don't think any insurance you can get now will cover you for anything corona related.

Without knowing your situation in terms of available space at home and so on:

I know some in the thread will frown on it, but are you within walking/cycling distance of a bit of countryside?
Could you go somewhere quiet for a couple of long days, take a picnic and just go home to sleep?
Or is there a nearby farm you could offer to pick fruit or spuds or whatever?

ed: beaten at least twice!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gort posted:

Holy poo poo how did nobody mention Ratt

He's right there

Where? I can't see a rat?
You don't mean the mini-dinosaur to the left of the queen's behind do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Above the scissors.

Aha!