Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jose posted:

Lol I'm not shaving my head for some sense of control I just get annoyed at it when it's longer particularly now I'm going running and getting sweaty.

Anyway I know we're all slating starmers poo poo response to covid but he has nothing on the democrat leaders

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/status/1252374440572157956?s=19

I'm not up to speed on US politics at all, can someone explain why this bill was blocked? Is it just to prevent good things happening to US citizens by Trumps government in the runup to the election or are there real issues with it? Did they give a reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jedit posted:

Because if you add up the stimulus cheques issued, the total comes to about 20% of the money requested for the bill. The rest was going straight to rich Republicans.

happyhippy posted:

The big one is there is within it a 500 billion slush fund for the Republicans that specifically doesn't have a paper trial for the first six months.

Ah, so there is a good reason to block it. Not a bad pr move as presumably a fair few low information voters who only watch fox news or whatever won't get that part.

I assume you mean 500 million though as according to the video the whole fund is only $350b.

zhar
May 3, 2019

elbkaida posted:

I think the FT is probably running with worst case here for maximum clicks. A credible estimate would have at least two possible scenarios, not just one straight line going up.

they claim the opposite

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1252848654412443648

zhar
May 3, 2019

Barry Foster posted:

Is it ok that I'm finding myself having to actively not think of the new figures as anything more than A Number? It worries me that I've been doing that for awhile now.

It's pretty much how I cope, because I started this whole thing actively worrying about/vividly imagining the plight of the victims and their families and it was making me a mess.

But that is also how tories and capitalists think

EDIT like, I feel like I should be way more upset about today's news, but I kinda saw it coming anyway

When it comes to large numbers, it seems to be how people in general think. There's even a term for it, the collapse of compassion.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Stuff like we had a "ghost finding app" for one part of the museum, but it was in an area that saw very little footfall from anyone, never mind children, and was written with way more complexity than any young kid could get through, and was so slow to work that no teenager is going to sit around and play with it.

Honestly a ghost hunting app that sends you to some dusty abandoned corner of the museum sounds pretty cool to me if it's implemented well. Or as the start of an episode of black mirror

zhar
May 3, 2019

Soylent Yellow posted:

I'm not 100% convinced we'll see a second lockdown this autumn or winter. I'm not saying that we won't get a big surge of virus cases, just that I wouldn't be surprised to see just a token lockdown. By then, I'm expecting the Government to have been lobbied hard and long by the Number Must Go Up crowd, and have had plenty of time to come up with a justification for why grandma has to die to keep the shops open. Expect a lot of propaganda about how we're ready for it this time, and a packet of facemasks in the post.

I think it depends on how the public feels at the time, much like how this lockdown was only initiated due to public pressure and was not what the government wanted to do.

zhar
May 3, 2019

i think we should take another look at nuclear powered planes. problems i'm sure but it would be cool as gently caress and less greenhouse gas emissions

zhar
May 3, 2019

Aphex- posted:

Like most things in life even if we as regular people flew less it is all completely negated by the super rich and their private fleets of planes. So probably best to focus on them first before going after the proles.

What's your source for this?

zhar
May 3, 2019

I've only watched the first 3 episodes of WW season 3 so far, seems better than season 2 but worse than season 1. I wouldn't call it "good", I'm just watching for the aesthetic at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

I know it's from the US but this is a cool poster