Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That was me; I went with Omega with the EU goons. Finally made it to Heavensward, the fabled point where the game got gud (and it really did).

I resubbed the other day on Omega too, but I'm at the end of ARR and I'm faced with 100 boring fetch quests before the first expansion and I just...can't. I'm considering paying for the skip - is Heavenward that much better that's it's worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'd legit go and pick some strawbs at the farm near my house (apparently 400 quid a week if you're decent at it) but my boss says we're not allowed under our furlough conditions.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

So some bosses want to make sure people are busy when working from home because they can't abide paying people not to work, but your boss apparently can't abide the idea that you might be working while they're paying you.

Y'ever think maybe bosses are just control freaks?

It's stupid, because the fruit picking is piece work so if magically all the construction sites suddenly open and I can do my regular job again I can just stop the fruit picking and go back to work whenever.

Yes he's a control freak so he's taking this entire situation extremely badly and I really feel sorry for his wife tbh

E: ^^^^ why the HECK didn't you rub that tummy you monster

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Coohoolin posted:

i'm pretty sure being furloughed at one job is not impacted at all by you taking on another job if you wanted to.

Check it to be sure, but I'm fairly sure.

My boss specifically wrote in the letter informing me of my furlough that the conditions of the furlough meant I wasn't allowed to take on another job. I'll have to check my original contract, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't allow for other employment. I will have a chat to him anyway and see what he says.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Look at what Korea have got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sun3XtKc1u0

Meanwhile we've managed to test 2000 of our half a million+ frontline NHS workers lmao

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 2, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Lol

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It really boils my piss how everyone on the local FB group is so performative about clapping for the NHS, putting rainbows in the window for the NHS, berating people for complaining about the fireworks getting let off for the NHS, but they will vote Tory now and forever who have loving gutted the NHS.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deketh posted:

Mum called to say she was collecting her online shopping and as soon as they drove away an old lady across the street came out to shout and swear at her for getting food delivery. loving curtain twitchers, she has no idea about her situation and whether she "needs" online food deliveries or not. Now of course mum feels dreadful and unsafe because of it.
We will be our own police state.
Anyways just had to vent a little.

How the gently caress else is she meant to get food? Would granny prefer your mum went to the shops and potentially spread disease?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fairly sure this isn't true and this dude has just gone out for bread and milk while still potentially infectious ffs

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bishop's Finger is good (and cheap, as far as ales go, and strong too)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I mean, we know he's got the Roni, so the only routine test he could be given is for blood oxygenation, right? Assuming he's having breathing problems, it's either supplemental oxygen or full on intubation, can't be any other reason to admit him.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
They tested a tiger at the Bronx zoo and it was positive.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jeremy Corbyn just retweeted this, right now lmao

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
When the gently caress are these antibody tests gonna be coming? Just want to know if I've had the drat thing so I can hopefully cast off this horrible persistent anxiety (or I guess if it came back negative make said anxiety even worse lol)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

It's fun isn't it because anxiety makes your chest hurt lol

It's poo poo. I keep thinking I have a tight chest, and a few days ago I had some weird little dizzy spells, and every time it's like 'oh gently caress here we go, it begins' but then I get some sleep, wake up feeling fine, and as the day wears on it happens again, over and over.

But if I get really into a game or book or something, I don't feel the symptoms at all, so I know it has to be all in my mind, but once I get pulled away from the distractions by family or chores or whatever, there's the tight chested feeling again and arrrrgh

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Spain looking to roll out UBI and hopefully keep it around forever:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-05/spanish-government-aims-to-roll-out-basic-income-soon

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Really busy outside today with pedestrians, honestly feels like people are getting more and more lax with the staying at home stuff.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

Are people still getting post delivered generally? I've had nothing since Wednesday and am expecting things that I know have been sent.

Haven't had anything for quite a few days now. I imagine it's a really lovely time to be a postman to be honest. It's hard to complete most rounds at the best of times, let alone when every fucker in the country is buying literally everything online and half the delivery office is off sick and/or self-isolating. That, plus the fact that they're not allowed to van-share at the moment means that I would imagine there is a quite frankly ridiculous backlog in every delivery office.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I don't even know how the delivery office I used to work in will even be functioning without van-sharing. 90% of all rounds there were two people sharing a van, and still on some days if there was a problem with your van it would be a struggle to find a replacement. If they need literally double the amount of vans....well, it just doesn't work. Thank gently caress I'm not a postman anymore.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
If he needs tubing, don't the stats say he's more likely to die than not?

e: apparently not intubated yet, but if he's rapidly worsening it would seem to be that it's near inevitable given what we know about how the disease progresses in these serious cases

https://twitter.com/VinnyMcAv/status/1247241919056490499

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 6, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Just been told that as he's not on a ventilator he's probably going to survive

He's going to be put on a ventilator almost guaranteed. The way this thing progresses if you get it bad is the symptoms don't subside, and then you very rapidly go downhill. Given that he's worsened over the afternoon and he's already had symptoms for 10 days, he's following that progression. Like 50/50 the PM is gonna die of this, holy poo poo

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/hassinhov3_/status/1247251124995981319

lmao

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
that IDS quote basically confirms that Boris is pretty much already fighting for his life, doesn't it? none of this 'moved as a precaution' bullshit

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Jon_UK2016/status/1247248889192857605

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://pharmaceuticals-world.com/collections/covid-19-testing-kit/products/covid-19-antibody-rapid-test-kit

Is this the one we ordered 3 million of that don't work properly?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
also, if you want a respite from all covid all the time, Port Lympne have livecams for their big cats:

Here are some lion cubs eating some legs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl95jwVP2yQ

and here's a tiger sleeping on its back :3: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wgAIfW-si0

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1247258162002092032

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
move over Gibbo, Kirky is the new hotness

https://twitter.com/xzxzlewis/status/1247250825057054720

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
this is from the mail, so im not gonna link it:

he's potentially killed himself because he didn't take this seriously until he literally was gasping for breath

quote:

It had been against all Boris's natural instincts to bow to coronavirus: Come what may he wanted to battle through.

To start, he had ignored all the evidence: The cough that wouldn't clear up and the temperature that did not go down.

But the moment when he recognised that common sense had to take precedence over bloody-mindedness – lest he risk compromising his long-term health – came perilously late.

Reluctantly, and on doctors' advice delivered remotely, he agreed to admit himself to hospital. For a Prime Minister who models himself on the stoic heroism of Winston Churchill, it also meant a moment of brutal introspection.

As with the old phrase, however willing the spirit, the flesh was weak. Just how ill is our Prime Minister? Bulletins from officials insisted his stay in hospital is a mere 'precautionary step'.

------------------------------------

Mr Johnson had been intimately involved in the planning of the Queen's speech to the country, an event he felt vital to national morale.

The last thing he wanted was for his personal situation to overshadow the vital importance Her Majesty would have in only the fifth such broadcast of her reign.

This, then, was the background to the moment when the Prime Minister's coronavirus diagnosis became more serious.

Certainly, we understand, his fellow ministers were concerned enough about his appearance to raise it themselves. He was urged to seek fresh medical advice, but he ploughed on insisting it was only a minor temperature and that there was too much work to be done.

After the Cabinet meeting broke up on Sunday morning, Mr Johnson returned to the Downing Street flat. He continued to take calls and worked on official papers in his Government red boxes.

He went for a walk in the Downing Street garden. But with his health seemingly getting worse by the hour, he was coughing and finding breathing more difficult, he backed down and agreed to speak to his GP if he hadn't improved after a siesta of an hour or two.

When there was no improvement, he spoke by video conference link to the doctor, who saw that the PM was markedly worse than when they had spoken midweek.

Mr Johnson, who by his own admission had ignored the physician's advice to take maximum rest, was finding it more difficult to breathe.

Uppermost in the doctor's mind was that the Prime Minister has suffered in the past from pneumonia-type symptoms – though there is no suggestion he has this condition now.

A second source said: 'Do not underestimate the macho nature of the Westminster political Establishment. Boris will not have wanted to look weak.' When the PM ended his call to his doctor, his mind was made up.

The GP had effectively ordered him to go to hospital or run a real risk to his health. After a minor argument with his officials, he agreed to go.

An overnight bag was packed and Mr Johnson was driven the short journey to St Thomas', accompanied by his bodyguards.

As one of our sources said: 'It's been admirable the way he's wanted to carry on with the job, leading from the front, and making sure he is on top of every decision. But in the end he's not done his health any good. He has to give in to the virus and rest.'

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Prince John posted:

Assuming this is true and not just some puff piece to create a hardworking martyr narrative, it's striking how much little he trusts his subordinates. I don't think anyone in the country would give a proverbial if he went on sick leave for a few days and handed over the reigns to his deputy - it's what the rest of us do. But he's terrified of leaving them in charge.

these are Tory MPs we're talking about here, one of them probably wiped their covid snot on their hand before shaking hands with him. I guarantee that there are more than a few of them currently licking their lips about a potential cabinet reshuffle if he croaks it

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
As much as I'm not going to shed a tear if he does peg it, I also don't want Boris to die, the same as I don't want anyone to die of this thing. There's also the matter of the array of ghouls and freaks lined up behind him to take over.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
In a sinister turn of events, new and suspiciously-named nurse Gichael Move was the last person to see the PM alive.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
He's not even been tubed yet, so maybe he got taken to intensive care way before any pleb would have been taken.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Hey nerds, I need a new laptop and don't have much money (maybe £300 at a push.) Thinking probably a refurb rather than shiny new. Don't game much these days, when I do it's unlikely to be bleeding edge stuff anyway. Currently running a 7(?) year old Alienware M14 R2 so anything with better spec than that will blow my aged mind.

Any suggestions/insights?

For 300 quid you aren't going to get anything appreciably faster than your Alienware tbh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Starmer did a Zoom call with some jews and anti-semitism is solved? Why didn't Jeremy just do that?!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

I definitely don't need solidarity fund money to buy a new laptop, thanks though Ms A!

After a bit of searching about this one seems like a pretty solid deal: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-T460-i5-6300U-2-4GHz-512GB-SSD-16GB-Ram-Windows-10-Laptop-HDMI-/153847380126

Any big red flags why I shouldn't get it at the price? Newish i5 (6300U), 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.

Be aware that the pricing on that is quite deceptive, once you add the 512 SSD and the 16gb RAM it's actually £325, not the £199 it seemingly costs. Having said that, £325 seems pretty good for those specs. You won't be playing many games on it, but it's got a 1080p panel and will be nice and zippy with the SSD.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Went to the woods today and found some wild garlic!

It tastes halfway between chive and garlic, we made some crispy pork belly and cooked it up with that and it was proper yum.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
One solitary saddo hitting a saucepan with a teaspoon outside lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

How do you get your pork belly so crispy, mine always either comes out burned or without delicious crackling?

Slice it into 1 inch thick strips, boil it for ten minutes in water with a tablespoon each of white vinegar and salt, pat dry with some paper towel, deep fry for 5 mins on each side, take it out for a few minutes, fry again for 1.5 mins each side. Then let it cool before you eat it. Bit of a faff, but absolutely worth it.