Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
On the first day of the March EPL thread I made the following post:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And realistically that's fine, absent an extinction-level event Liverpool are still likely to win the league by a record margin.

So I want to confidently state there is no way at all that I could possibly win ten million quid on the lottery this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

to clear up the hdmi/vga security talk from the last page here's some probable considerations that got overruled by time

- vga is pretty simple and is one-way video, whereas hdmi can do everything including networking with manufacturer extensions to a very open protocol so 'validating' it is a never-ending task
- on the other hand hdcp keeps being popped open and there's a great writeup on key extraction for hdcp 1 floating around
- tempest is screen emissions mainly and if you're into sdrs you can try it at home since you have time to spare
- these kind of attacks do still get used for intel gathering but pale in comparison to what the cabinet would just handover to a friendly consultant so it's more security science than practice

Van Eck phreaking (and the vast majority of sidechannel attacks that get publicity) are academic curiosities that are incredibly clever and completely useless in practical use because they always require big equipment in close proximity to the source, at which point you might as well just nick the system instead. This is why most TEMPEST measures are actually really simple stuff like "all the cables should be above the desk, visible, and clearly marked" and "RED equipment must be kept at least a metre from BLACK equipment".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Why are we using the US spelling of metre in the thread title? Pls fix.

We GOT BREXIT DONE and so will not be using filthy French spellings any more.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

That's how the original post spelled it.

I remember reading one of my grandad's "what machinists need to know about the upcoming decimal metric system" that used meter and gram in the 50s, then we seemed to move to metre and gramme, and now it's metre and gram, so we may as well admit that we've never used a consistent spelling for either.

We still measure fuel economy in MPG but sell fuel in litres/liters, measure small distances in metric but long ones in imperial, and measure drugs and other injectables in mg/ml but blood in pints. What I'm saying is Britain is a dumb country that fully deserves to crash into Mars because of a conversion error.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Or at the very least, glide into a disused airfield full of terrified children.

"This is the one thing we didn't want to happen"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

I was going to say this isn't true but realise I don't actually know, despite working in (white) blood cell collection for a long time. Pretty sure they are just 500ml +/- 25ml (plus anticoagulant).

Some years ago I worked on a therapy made from whole blood but I can't remember the specifics of the collection :-/

https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/after-your-donation/

quote:

During a blood donation we take 470ml of blood, which is just under a pint.

Turns out it's neither, and is in fact nearer a US pint (473ml) instead of a UK one (568ml)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Yet elsewhere on the site they refer only to pints and 'about a pint', which makes me wonder if that's discouraging people from giving blood, thinking that a big pint jug is being taken out of them when it's quite a bit less.

e: 3 pints is near enough exactly 1.7L, which is about as close as you can get to a nice conversion.

"That's very nearly an armful!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

A guy at my work literally once told me that he didn't care about climate change and would continue as normal, because he'd be dead by the time it would affect anything, and by that point it would be his grandchildrens' problem.

Some people just loving oblivious, selfish doom cultists who lack any sense of critical thinking, or arrogant or self deluded enough to think that when poo poo does hit the fan, it won't be them affected, just as long as they don't have to change anything, no matter how mild the inconvenience to their lives.

[e]: Also, don't know if this is a fake headline but wouldn't be suprised if true :lol:
https://twitter.com/ChickenCaoimh/status/1245364440226201605

They keep texting me telling me how desperate they are for O+ (if anyone's keeping a spreadsheet of goon blood types, there you go) even though I have an appointment booked to give on Monday. Anyway I decided to reschedule it as the sore throat I've had for a couple of days is 99.9999% to be from me scratching one of my tonsils with a burnt chip but I don't want to risk it. Next available session? July. You want my blood? Come loving get it, bitches.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RossLydall/status/1245290894913306624

Probably fine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Yeah no offence mate but these electricity posts of your are hilarious, if normos try to do any of this poo poo they'll kill themselves and set the house on fire. As a normo, lemme ask you just two questions to illustrate what I mean:

1) Wtf is a breaker?
2) Where is it? (Hint: the building I live in was built in "approximately 1880" and is in England)

Answering 2 first - somewhere in your house (or possibly, but not probably, on an outside wall) will be a metal or plastic box containing your house's fuses/circuit breakers. You really should know where this is, it's pretty important. Normally it'll be somewhere near the front door, but it might be in a cupboard under the stairs or something. There will be multiple breakers (see below for an explanation), one for each mains circuit in your house (normally at least three - one for the plugs, one for the lights, and a master - but there could be absolutely loads depending on how anal the sparks who put it in was).

A circuit breaker is a device that detects electrical faults and cuts off the electric.

The simplest form is a fuse - a thin bit of wire that will overheat and fail if too much current passes through it (say if you've touched a live wire and it's currently (hah) earthing through your body). Ones on a main panel will normally be a black bakelite oblong with a colour-coded dot to tell you its rating (expressed in amps, see below), like this:

You can physically pull the oblong out to electrically isolate that circuit if you need to work it. If you blow it you have to pull it out, remove the broken bit of wire and put a new bit of wire in of the right gauge. Why this is dumb is people *will* put much thicker wire in to stop it blowing, and then kill themselves/set their house on fire.

More modern panels will have proper circuit breakers which are little grey or white things that look like this:

They work more quickly and much more safely than conventional fuses - when too much current is detected the little switch flicks up. When you fix the fault, flick it back down.

There should also be at least one Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, which look like a circuit breaker but are normally a different colour, and will have a little "test" button on it. This detects voltage on the Ground circuit and cuts all the power if any is found, for example if you wire a plug up wrong (which would potentially leave live voltage running through the case of the appliance).

There will also be an isolator, a big gently caress-off red switch to cut all the power, and possibly a supply breaker which looks like a circuit breaker without a switch and possibly with a tamperproof seal on it which belongs to the electric company and exists to stop you being really loving stupid and bypassing all the other breakers - if that blows you have to call them out (on a fuse box this will be a fuse with a wax seal that will melt if it blows).

Fuses or breakers are rated in amps (A), the amount of current they will let pass without blowing. Normally light circuits will be 5A, ring mains 15 or 20A, and electric oven circuits (and sometimes garage/outbuilding) 20 or 30A. It is incredibly important to make sure you replace like for like if you ever have to.

A very good and sensible thing to do once you find the box is to make sure it's labelled correctly because this will make your life a million times easier and sparkies *never* loving do it when they're putting them in. Flick the switch and see what turns off, write that on the label above. If one doesn't seem to do something it's probably for something like a 30A electric cooker circuit that you're not using, or if you have a basement it could be for a sump pump or something similar so don't leave it turned off. While you're in there you may as well hit the test button on the GFCI for the sheer satisfaction of the CHUNK noise it makes, ditto the isolators (and to realise just how many electrical things in your house are turned on without you noticing). If it doesn't make a chunk noise (or something stays turned on) call your landlord/electrician/priest immediately because something's hosed up.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 1, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I didn't even realise fuse boxes were still legal, I thought over the last several decades everyone changed to breakers? I'm in an 1882 tenement in Scotland and it had breakers installed at least 20 years ago, judging by the inspection dates written on it from when this was a student flat.

Certainly you never hear people talk about fuse boxes like they did in my childhood.

Electricians will refuse to do work on anything with a consumer unit that's out of date (not least because they're liable if they *do* install something and the house then burns down) - I only had the fuse box in my house replaced in 2015 when they were redoing my bathroom and the poor bloke trying to wire up the new shower actually had to call his boss to work out what he was looking at.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

I've only ever heard americans call them GFCI, its RCD for me

I learned all my electrickery off Google.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

It's stupid, because the fruit picking is piece work so if magically all the construction sites suddenly open and I can do my regular job again I can just stop the fruit picking and go back to work whenever.

Yes he's a control freak so he's taking this entire situation extremely badly and I really feel sorry for his wife tbh

E: ^^^^ why the HECK didn't you rub that tummy you monster

Cats asking for belly rubs is a cruel, cruel trick. If you want to replicate the feeling, put a fluffy blanket at the back of a threshing machine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ah bollocks, I'll have to keep the little arsehole in. So as well as being locked in the house, I'm now locked in the house with a cat that's pissed off.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Does anyone know if TSB have any kind of maximum withdrawal over the counter? Cuz I need to lift £1300 out of my account, and for obvious reasons, I'd rather do it in as few journeys as possible.

Anything up to whatever the current "probably a drug dealer, report them to HMRC" limit (£10k, IIRC) should be fine, although they might ask you to provide more identification than just your card.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Azza Bamboo posted:

Mate of mine installed a power shower on their lighting loop but got tired of it blowing the fuse so he soldered a spoon between the fuse contacts.

He wouldn't hear a word of it. And this guy does the maintenance on his own motorcycle, too.

He is the Ur-PO.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

TSB, sadly. If they have one of those machines in there, I'll use that, if not, I'm paying a builder.

They probably won't even flicker. I took out £4k to buy a bike (and this was in the 90s when the Ks were much bigger), leaving my account with like a tenner in it, and all they asked was if they didn't mind it mostly in 20s because they didn't have many 50s.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Talking of non-essential workers, eventually the press owners are going to realise they can replace the entire lobby with a speech-to-text bot reading from Whatsapp and save themselves loving millions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/michaeljswalker/status/1245415339149705219

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Lol how did these guys come out of a nominally Marxist org, I will never understand

The Trot>contrarian/"realist">genocidal paedo pipeline is pretty well established, and my personal theory is that the Trotskyite obsession with the idea of the Vanguard Party appeals really strongly to people who think they're definitely smarter and more enlightened than all the sheeple. If they also happen to be rich/white enough to keep getting media jobs insulated from any kind of reality then it's a really smooth slope for them to roll down.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

They also got a ton of oil money to reestablish after they got sued into bankruptcy for genocide denial iirc

I'm certain that the egg of Brendan O'Neills giant loving bonce came long before the chicken of Koch money.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I get that in principle but I'd expect them to go conspiracy-left or even maybe go whole hog down the weird far right infowars route rather than just taking to spouting boring knee jerk reactionary conservatism. Unless they're dumbass accelerationists the ideological trajectory doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

The Spiked crew are absolutely in the Infowars lane, they've just found it more financially rewarding to channel it into something that picks up money from the Koches rather than hawking "neutraceuticals".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also can I propose we revive the word "bonce" for talking about the giant loving expanses of forehead sported by the likes of Brendan O'Neill and Toby Young? I know it normally just means head but as a descriptive term for the neck-enders of big-brained baldies who are also nonces I don't think it can be beat.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The music kicked rear end, especially during the crazy Dark Satanic Mills bit.

And I don't give a poo poo about the brainworms, the "forging" of the rings and flying them in was loving amazing theatre, and if you don't think so you have literally no soul.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm pretty certain that if I let go of my schedule altogether then I'd be on a 28-hour day.

That's actually natural, IIRC if you take away environmental cues most mammals settle into a 26ish hour cycle.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's interesting to watch the US try and rediscover the wheel that is the lifecycle of covid-19
https://twitter.com/andishehnouraee/status/1245513642319151110?s=19
https://twitter.com/llborio/status/1245667382808412161
https://twitter.com/RomanMDoll/status/1245710062120828928
but it goes give more resources to point at for 7/14 days being nowhere near good enough for isolation and the lockdown plan needing extended

That's interesting, I thought detectable antibodies by definition meant that you were safe from passing it on because for antibodies to be just hanging around meant that there were no more - or very few - viruses left for the antibodies to kill. Is this a common thing for viruses, or is it something unique to this one? Do they know why/how this happens?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Actually now I think about it they do tell you not to give blood for 7 days after symptoms have passed for any infection, so maybe it's not so unlikely that you can still be infectious even though you feel fine.

What I'm saying is that Matt Hancock should be sealed in concrete and fired into the sun just to be sure.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

nah the antibodies are your secondary immune response that takes a while to get up and running.
the antibody test merely tests whether your body has started or has been producing immune cells tailored to covid, not that the virus is gone or that the virus is still there

Yeah but my understanding was as it starts to produce them they're almost instantly used up by binding to any viruses they find, meaning finding a significant amount of antibodies just loose means there's very little virus left, and that was the great hope of these mooted antibody tests to say "Yeah you're fine, get back to work", as opposed to antigen tests that detect if the virus itself is present.

However it's been pointed out by a couple of people that that's not actually the case and if it is true that the virus is still present and spreadable beyond 14 days *and* with a positive antibody test then that has potentially massive implications, especially for medical staff being rushed back onto wards.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Feco-oral is the US substitute for kia-ora.

That's way too orangey for crows.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Had a bit of a jolt while out on my walk - plain black refrigerated van with two guys in masks driving slowly down the street, the guys looking hawkishly out of both sides. Then one jumped out with a clipboard while another put on some gloves.

The were delivering veg to a little takeaway place

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Even with an imperfect lockdown, it is absolutely not going to take 9 months to get the numbers under control well enough to relax the lockdown.

There may be further waves after that demanding restrictions are reintroduced, but we're not going to be fully housebound until 2021 and it's absurd to think we will be.

Yes, consider this a :toxx:

I think we'll probably end up playing peekaboo with the disease like that article suggested (and I roundly rubbished) a couple of weeks ago. Wait for deaths to drop below a certain level, unlock, then lock back up when the numbers start going up again, or maybe the same but with ICU bed occupancy. It's a long loving way from ideal (and the one area where I sort of agree with the nudge unit people - the observance of each successive lockdown is going to get worse and worse) but absent a viable treatment or vaccine it's about the only way even vaguely acceptable to the NUMBER crowd who still are basically in control of the response across the West.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Lisa Nyandy.

I'm used to the corpse wagons being slate grey and marked as "private ambulance" but maybe london does it differently :v:

Black but still marked as an ambulance, IME.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well consider we haven't infected 1% of the population yet

This seems a fairly big claim IMO. If we take the poll in the last thread as a survey of how many people read/post in this thread, there's been at least 5 symptomatic cases out of 375*. Leyton Orient have had 4 confirmed cases in their staff of 50ish, and they definitely don't have the exotic lifestyle excuse of Premiership clubs (their youth team take the Central Line between their training ground and academy). Assuming the 33% growth a day number is right, it only takes 33 days to go from 100 cases to 690,000 (near as dammit 1%) - given we had the first confirmed cases at the beginning of February, I suspect we've gone *way* past that number now, probably nearer 10% than 1%.

Unscientific as poo poo, I know, but probably still more statistically valid than our alleged testing regime.

* Of a population that's already pretty socially isolated, arf arf.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

So what's the easiest way of quitting the party? I mean I will wait till the result but I'm not paying even a pittance a month to be led by that sack of shite starmer

Being mildly critical of Israel on Twitter should do the trick.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Is there a decent website for totally novice people looking to grow their own veg?

I'm talking a step by step guide with links to things to buy and explanations for any and all jargon.

I basically just wanna try growing poo poo like potatoes, carrots, broccoli etc but have absolutely no idea where to begin.

Chuck em in the dirt and water them, done.

Slightly more seriously, the instructions on the seed packets (assuming you're not going to try and go completely native) should do the trick with a bit of judicious googling - most fruit and veg is extremely tolerant of suboptimal soil conditions and general mistreatment because it's been bred to be that way. Chuck some fertiliser designed for food plants rather than flowers in there occasionally, don't let the soil get completely dry or completely waterlogged, and take precautions to keep weeds and pests away (a thin layer of gravel or broken stone over the soil when you sow will do the former (and keep moisture in over the summer), and some cheap netting and broken eggshells should keep most of the latter away).

One thing I will say is you're pretty late to be sowing anything now, make sure you check the seeds carefully to make sure you're not just wasting your time for something that will get murdered by winter before it has a chance to make a crop. Potatoes and carrots should be fine though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but we already have reliable hospitalisation and death stats based off of china, south korea and italy. the notion that we're undercounting by 10x-20x is a pipedream relying on a substantial number of asymptomatic cases that global medical evidence does not show. it was pushed by england's cmo to try and buy time - it does not have any scientific basis

everyone keeps wishing it's the case, but that hasn't changed reality and i strongly doubt it'll change it if we continuing wishing even harder

Well, if you assume a 3% death rate from confirmed symptomatic cases, with an exact 14 days from infection to death, then 14 days ago we had 569*33 or 18,777 infected. 18,777 multiplied by 14 days of 33% growth is 1017536 cases today, or 1.5% of the population more or less.

Obviously this is incredibly unscientific for a dozen different reasons, but I stand by my belief that there's a lot more than 600k infected in this country right now. gently caress me there's more than 600k people using the Underground every day even with the lockdown.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The loving NHS nutcases area at it again there's a lunatic with an airhorn and someone banging on a pot and people are letting off fireworks.

Same here (except it was car horns) and it's also woken up all the loving seagulls and the fireworks have set off a load of car alarms. Frankly I wish they'd do it around 11pm so I could get to sleep more easily, the quiet is really loving discombobulating for a city boy like me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Put on some TV? :shrug: ever since moving in with the missus I've had to get used to falling asleep to the Golden Girls. :filez:'ing that was like the first thing I did to endear her to me.

That's actually what I do (got in the habit when staying with my sister in the middle of nowhere, where it was so quiet I could hear my own heartbeat - it was like a loving isolation chamber) - I just set my TV to switch off after 30 minutes and am generally asleep in ten, except sometimes the cessation of noise is enough to wake me back up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Local coop still empty of loads of stuff: no pasta, rice, lentils or anything like that, and almost no veg. All the veggie protein stuff was gone too (Quorn/sausages/tofu)

Is this still caused by panic buying or is there a problem with supply chains?

I think it might just be a problem with the Co-op - my local one doesn't really seem to have restocked in over a week apart from milk and bread, whereas the Tesco a bit further along is brimming with stuff. It also still has "No more than two items" signs all over the shelves whereas everywhere else seems to have abandoned this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

if it aint supply chain it will be soon. we basically need to make sure domestic food is harvested and also make sure the majority of our food from abroad can get in very quickly.
thats even more complicated than the quarantine and i dont think the gov has even begun to think about it

As the government seems to have found the magic money tree, offering £20/hour to get the harvest in seems like something easily doable.

Just kidding, they're going to make it a requirement for people to get their UC.