Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That Works posted:

Quoting myself from years ago, re: China weaponization.

Also, I think I covered it in here before but for the virus to have been an engineered bioweapon would have taken several simultaneous breakthroughs that Western labs have not achieved before.

There's also the real simple realization that places have made re: bioweapons, the problem that you can't control them when you release them, they're doomsday devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Midjack posted:

That’s not exactly what it said, the public statement was that the virus was probably not man-made or modified. There’s room in those words for it to be a release of a naturally occurring pathogen from a lab, and they are open to that possibility still.

Yeah, bioweapons talk is strictly :tinfoil:, but accidental release from a lab is well seems to me, as a non-expert, within the realm of the possible.

For a bit of context:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019/3/20/18260669/deadly-pathogens-escape-lab-smallpox-bird-flu

Edit: Let's not go overboard.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 1, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If it was released from the lab, the most likely explanation is that the dead animals that had the virus got picked up from the trash or sold by someone trying to get a quick buck to vendors in the wet market.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

There's also the real simple realization that places have made re: bioweapons, the problem that you can't control them when you release them, they're doomsday devices.

Crazy bastards.... unleashed it on themselves first to see if it worked...

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ded posted:

If it was released from the lab, the most likely explanation is that the dead animals that had the virus got picked up from the trash or sold by someone trying to get a quick buck to vendors in the wet market.

you're overthinking it

it's china's first lab of that level

dept of state sent cables warning about their procedures and staffing there, saying it was unsafe

some months later someone fucks up, gets infected, and infects others around him. it spreads in the city

boom bam bop, occam's razor

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

pmchem posted:

you're overthinking it

dept of state sent cables warning about their procedures and staffing there, saying it was unsafe

some months later someone fucks up, gets infected, and infects others around him. it spreads in the city

I've been assured that Bill Gates was involved. Where was he in your little theory, chump?

Checkmate, Athetits.

(By the by, been calling people Chumps, and Chuckles a lot lately. Digging it.)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've been assured that Bill Gates was involved. Where was he in your little theory, chump?

Checkmate, Athetits.

(By the by, been calling people Chumps, and Chuckles a lot lately. Digging it.)

dorks is my preferred go to

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wattup chums and chumps

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bookended with a Later dinks

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1255862457974894593?s=20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's a good gesture, but :lol: if anyone thinks it'll stop any "bitter feelings".

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ahahahahahaha drop out biden

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
See?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

But I thought boomers hated participation trophies? :confused:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Old man yells at (minimal) supporters

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Anyone have the link to that youngish guy that interviews idiotic Trump supporters?

He did one video recently about the open the economy protests.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The only one who comes to mind who does that is Jordan Kepler of the daily show, probably not who you're thinking of.

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

Anyone have the link to that youngish guy that interviews idiotic Trump supporters?

He did one video recently about the open the economy protests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkBseVTUow

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The channel is All Gas No Brakes

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jesus Christ, what a bunch of drooling, selfish, and paranoid morons.
Hats off to that guy, no way I could have that kind of patience.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

What does this actually accomplish at the convention?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Flikken posted:

What does this actually accomplish at the convention?

Nothing. It's left-handed magnanimity, and there'll invariably be a picture of DNC establishment laughing as the handful of Bernie's states pledge for him.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

they already got him off the ballot in new york, the risk of there being enough delegates to exact platform concessions at the convention is minimal

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nothing. It's left-handed magnanimity, and there'll invariably be a picture of DNC establishment laughing as the handful of Bernie's states pledge for him.

this is not actually the case.

Delegates to the convention are important because they vote on the party platform and the rules for the next primary cycle. Think super-delegates are incredibly dumb and undemocratic and this primary would have been even more of a shitshow with them? The rule change from 2017 barring them from voting on the first ballot is only temporary, and could revert back if the delegates don't vote to make it a permanent part of the rules. So giving Sanders more delegates isn't some meaningless concession, it's actively giving him and his supporters a more powerful voice in drafting the party platform and crafting the rules for the next election.

As an aside, Greyjoy Bastard has a thread in D&D on how you yourself can work to become a delegate to the convention.

Doc Hawkins posted:

they already got him off the ballot in new york, the risk of there being enough delegates to exact platform concessions at the convention is minimal

The Biden and Sanders campaigns have come to an agreement that if the DNC doesn't just strip New York of its delegates, Biden will give a portion of the delegates awarded to him to Sanders.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

gently caress biden but biden himself doesn't seem particularly motivated to actively gently caress with bernie at this point now that the race is over

though he'll probably not get in the way of the dnc doing their eldritch alchemies

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

yo Ace, as we close out this month's thread I just want to say thanks for all your level-headed effortposts and making things seem a tiny bit less grim and pointless

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Can't kill a virus, it's not alive. You can only inactivate it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kraken! posted:

yo Ace, as we close out this month's thread I just want to say thanks for all your level-headed effortposts and making things seem a tiny bit less grim and pointless

Same.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pmchem posted:

you're overthinking it

Nah man. It was the 5g.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kraken! posted:

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

kraken! posted:

:same:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Patware posted:

gently caress biden but biden himself doesn't seem particularly motivated to actively gently caress with bernie at this point now that the race is over

though he'll probably not get in the way of the dnc doing their eldritch alchemies

By all accounts Bernie and Biden get along fairly well, which isn't too surprising since they're both long-term congresscritters.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Ha, thanks! I don't think my posts are that great (And I'm sure I'm wrong on plenty of things), but I'm glad you enjoy them. I will say though that I really do appreciate this thread and everyone who posts here—there's disagreements, as there always will be, but I think everyone's generally on the same page and usually don't outright hate each other, which makes this far better than, say, USPOL. You're all good people, and I'm always grateful you don't mind having non-vets like myself hangin' around.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

People who are non vets posting in here keep this poo poo from turning into just like every other vet forum out there (dead and stupid/full of asinine garbage). It also keeps it from turning into a self reinforcing echo chamber like D&D, and helps steer us when we're wrong on something or an outside opinion would offer a valuable view on something that's being discussed.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

And provides character testimony when one of us is brought to the Hague.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bulletsponge13 posted:

And provides character testimony when one of us is brought to the Hague.

do you really want a goon giving you character testimony?

"Yes, you honor, next on the stand is forums user 'GAS CURES ---' to tell us what a good person Billy is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New thread is up!