Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

we our our own mods now

we are beyond the era known as "March" and have no achieved a higher plane of existance known as "April"

fully automated luxury mod-free space communism now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just heard on the radio America is anticipating 240000 deaths :stare:

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/

Look at that 'Merica

make-a-wish upon that Shooting star of exponential growth

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Woofer posted:

That y axis makes it look more tame than it actually is

E:
https://twitter.com/jakesherman/status/1245398342550650881?s=21

logarithmic y axis makes it the most horrifying

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MA-Horus posted:

What happens if all the Nucs on that ship get sick and can't work? Fly in replacement crew?

Step 1) turn it off and walk away

Step 2) remember for legal reasons you have to actually have people half asleep in a cramped box "running it"

Step 3) cram some 18 year olds in the box with the reactor, lock the door, and walk away

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I wonder how many prank calls that number is getting now thanks to someone forgetting to blank it out

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Timestamp? My german is limited to "nine" and "dunka shane"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that twitter doesn't actually take you to the thread when you click embedded tweets anymore and it's a real pain in the rear end.

Threads tend to be informative, sourced, and predominantly posted by liberals. I wonder why @jack and his team has changed the previous display format this year.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

BigDave posted:

Does the Navy actually want a crew to mutiny?

Yes, because that just proves how terrible of a captain he was and justifies their firing of him.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

I pray his passing is swift.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SimonCat posted:

Sorry, didn't see that guy's reg date till someone pointed it out.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Lmao what

E: my bad, it's early so I got got by a month old troll account.

Even were he not a rereg its pretty obvious that he's not troll posting but candidly anger posting. Its important to learn the distinction when engaging with people online in these stressful times.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I’m going to worry about the atrocity that’s happening in my country.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Republicans and Liberal Democrats have managed to squeeze politics out of grade school curriculum because having 18 year olds participating in county policy debates is a threat to the retirees running both county parties.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The cities starting to level out are going to be all the reason the idiot states need to relax restrictions again. This will of course, affect the cities the worse

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

PookBear posted:

this wouldn't have happened regardless, bernie has said that he likes biden.

Bernie's been in politics long enough that he knows that he has to support Biden because Trump is really that bad. He doesn't have the luxury of avoiding practicality because he's actually one of the elected people in charge of the system. We fearless internet posters have the luxury of being free to whittle the system into something less evil in the coming decade.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
On the other hand turn Mars into a Forgeworld for humanities future expansion.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah they're saying 70 mph winds

crazy

ct forecast:

Monday
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 58. Windy, with a south wind 21 to 26 mph increasing to 32 to 37 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 1 and 2 inches possible.

The best thing about CT weather forecasting is how a random dude on Facebook/Twitter (@eweather13) Is a better source of short term forecasting and analysis of expectations than local broadcast tv

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

not caring here posted:

So, errr, what happens when you have to turn the reactor off? I assume there's not a lot of back up power, does everyone have to bail before they die of carbon dioxide poisoning or what?

As a nuke I am also not going to elaborate but I can casually not elaborate in more detail:

Ships and subs only run their reactors next to the pier for rare occasions when they're not about to leave or just pulled in. But shutting down a reactor is surprisingly simple.

A reactor Scram shuts down the reactor, period. It goes from 100% to <1%. Normally you either SCRAM in an emergency (even a mild one, or often just for practice), or Scram once you're already shutdown through a long proceedure. 0% nuclear reaction however isn't the thing you're worried about, at the moment of a Scram you still have 7% of operating power still occurring as thermal power, thanks to nuclear decay. If you scram at 100% power you still have 38 MEGAwatts of thermal power to deal with. If you Scram at the end of a shutdown checklist after pulling into port you have monumentally less since it decays exponentially. Decay heat is a bitch however, and even weeks later you can still have dozens of kilowatts of thermal power being produced. Not a lot of heat at all for thousands of tons of metal and water. BUT if that water is stationary things can hot spot, hot spots cause problems with hydrogen and uneven expansion of metals. Leave a hot spot for long enough and you have permanent damage and a small pain in the rear end leak of used nuclear fuel into your primary coolant. This doesn't happen as long as water is circulating though, and the ship piers have electricity to power the pumps, and there are multiple backup generators everywhere. Over longer periods of time this fun field of study called radio-chemistry comes into play. Radiation causes the breakdown of ammonia and other molecules in the coolant which has long term effects, but is a simple task to deal with on a weekly basis.

But the relevant answer is that from a physics standpoint, you can leave a water pump running and lock the door and things will be absolutely fine for a few weeks until plant chemistry gets too far out of spec, but from a legal and understandably cautious standpoint you need 24h shift work to have someone sit in a box and watch the meter.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Casimir Radon posted:

CALM DOWN GUYS IT'S JUST GAMER SLANG

He was clearly just trying to get the attention of fellow racer N%**#rStomper1488, nothing racist or out of the ordinary to see here folks please move along

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Atoms are so not scary that i've teabagged a nuclear reactor and taken a nap cuddling a reactor coolant pipe hiding from an E-7 trying to make us clean in a radioactive area. This will have absolutely no consequences.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The "confirmed by population" tab does a better job at representing this I think, since the "confirmed" tab may as well nearly be a population heat map

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

If they're exempt from legal action that means someone can publish a list of who they are and what their crimes in the Epstein heinous crime ring were right? Or would that still be libel? Someone has to have a list of these fuckers the casually publish.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

BigDave posted:

loving rear end in a top hat prick, MINNESOTA DOESN'T NEED LIBERATING YOU PISSANT EXCUSE FOR AN AMERICAN!!

You know how many people MN has lost so far?

93. That's it.

Thats far too few, The stock market needs 9000 innocent souls to recover 100 points

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They had a point, we don't poo poo post enough to keep up with other forums so we really need to up our game.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

BurningChrome posted:

Is the mall cop snitching on people at the auntie Anne's again?

Reporting a post saying we should be spraying protestors with chemicals is hardly snitching. Turn off av's if you read that much personal anger into individuals

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Now its also important to note that this country has a troublesome history firehosing protesters. But in this instance I'm ok with giving it another shot

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/SheWhoRises/status/1251591265893912579?s=20

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

My Spirit Otter posted:

what's the effect of the ruling for non-Americans?

Also, what the effect for Americans?

I do no understand law because I'm privileged enough to not have to pay attention.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Buy diesel

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm from Buenos Aires and the attack was fake news!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Christ almighty, maybe that weird horrible sore throat I had at the end of January was Covid after all.

My sister is an ICU nurse in hawaii, and is now pretty sure that the three weeks of debilitating sickness she had at the end of January was actually Covid caught from a tourist in the ICU, before it blew up. She had all the symptoms and it was the sickest she's ever been.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The only code Steve Jobs ever executed was other people's

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Hi, I'm legendary permabanned poster ______. I first started reading GiP when it was just a grover thread. by 2011 i got really obsessed with the concept of "civil war" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "motorola spies for the CIA" and "absolute zero photons ping pong" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "chud" style of GiP humor was all about; i think its the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who “get” GiP to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

ded posted:

Speaking of nazis and our military

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/26/us/justin-rohrwasser-tattoo-trnd/index.html

Covered. Not removed. Funny that.

If you think military support symbolism is a nazi symbol, maybe the people you know in the military are nazis

Even modern tattoo removal is a long and difficult process. Full removal would take months. I say this as someone who has thousands of dollars of tattoo work on them. Its a day of work to have a competent artist do a full cover up piece, especially something thats that small and simply black ink.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

wins32767 posted:

Why wouldn't there be volunteers? If you reserve some ECMO machines and ICU beds for the folks volunteering, I bet there would be a bunch of folks that'd sign up. You throw in life insurance payments for the folks who don't make it, I'd be having talks with my wife about signing up. The odds are that everyone is going to get it over the next 2 years, why not do it in a controlled way where you're assured of great medical care and you help save lives?

The fact that we aren't doing that shows that we aren't really treating this as seriously as we could be.

capitalism.txt

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Old man yells at (minimal) supporters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The only one who comes to mind who does that is Jordan Kepler of the daily show, probably not who you're thinking of.