Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Bring on the invasion from outer space. I, for one, will endeavour to work with our new alien overlords in hope of securing safety and sustenance for me and mine.

So, basically just me and my cat, at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Current event: Confederate history month! Make sure to talk with friends and family about the perfidious traitors who betrayed the United States for the perpetuation of slavery.

https://twitter.com/DrRobThompson/status/1245338195803484160?s=19

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Keep your cats indoors leashed and under observation when outdoors anyway.
FTFY

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Not growing up with a religious background, it's always interesting to come across a new phrase that is apparently utterly innocuous to the person saying it that makes me :yikes:

https://twitter.com/AmarAmarasingam/status/1246658639785492480?s=19

14 states have exemptions for religious institutions in their stay-at-home orders. I suspect this will not go well for them.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Write and call your local reps now and demand immediate action to adopt mail-in ballots for November. There's a real likelihood that this will still be around in the fall (or have come back) and the GOP will at least make no effort to make in-person voting safe. Or they could decide suddenly to pretend they haven't downplayed of the problem all year and announce restrictions on polling places that effectively disenfranchise broad swathes of the Democratic electorate.

That should sound crazy, but not entirely outside the realm of possibility to anyone who's been keeping up with things. Demand mail-in ballots now to reduce their opportunity to either passively or actively undermine American democracy.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

The fact that dipshit won in the first place is proof positive that this country was probably beyond saving. I don't see anything but bad poo poo in the future and you can forget about fleeing somewhere civilized given recent rightward trends.

Don't have kids.
Alternately: have a boatload of kids, raise them right, and push for a better future :shrug:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

I seriously dont understand how there haven't been [snip]

We should probably avoid the A word in this context if we don't want Lowtax to be getting more FBI visits.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Old Boot posted:

* EDIT: I say this because anti-tobacco lobbies get turbo-boners when young people die in a way that implicates anything nicotine related. Trust me, they'd chew their own arm off for the chance to shout those stats through a megaphone.
Those drat anti-tobacco lobbies, always trying to find another argument for why folks shouldn't be in thrall to a highly-addictive and health-destroying substance and the billionaires who profit off of it :bahgawd:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is Oz a real doctor
The campaigns to get his license revoked have proven fruitless, unfortunately.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Some of the video from the protests in MN is golden.

https://www.facebook.com/unicornriot.ninja/videos/224572625440031

I like the "Trump for MN governor" sign.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Mass shooting spree in multiple locales throughout Nova Scotia. 10+ dead, including one RCMP officer. Suspect believed dead. https://globalnews.ca/news/6838880/rcmp-active-shooter-portapique-n-s/

Edit: motive still unclear, but appears pre-meditated as the fucker had obtained an RCMP uniform and possibly even a police vehicle.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 19, 2020

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

ded posted:

They did this same `kim might be dead!' crap before when he had some gout surgery or some poo poo.
You say this as if it isn't 2020. Based on that alone, odds are that violent upheaval will break out imminently and Covid-infected refugees will try to swarm the border.

Yes, this is tongue-in-cheek. Mostly.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
The guy stared at the sun. I see zero reason to give him the benefit of the don't about his disinfectant comment being anything but 100% earnest.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

PeterCat posted:

If it goes full civil war would the North be able to mount an attack on the South? Could the world take advantage of the confusion and take out the nuclear program?

I realize that idea has a lot of very negative implications, but if the country collapses into fighting maybe this would be as good a time as any to end the stalemate on the peninsula?
Any intervention would be to support one side over another to encourage liberalization and eventually begin reintegration. Militarily overthrowing the regime would cost South Korea and others an extraordinary amount of riches for maintaining the occupation and dragging the North out of the dark ages. East Germany was backwards and required incredible investment from the West, but that experience will likely have been several orders of magnitude easier than a hypothetical rapid reintegration of the Koreas.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Good thread on potential instability in North Korea and how the US is poorly positioned to advance its interests:
https://twitter.com/WonkVJ/status/1253952539092901888

The complaints about feverish speculation from Western media about the nature of Kim's absence are silly and put the onus in the wrong place. It's not the fault of free media that they're working with limited information: when Kim or Putin vanish unexpectedly for a prolonged period of time without a clear explanation, it's the closed, autocratic system to blame, not those trying to make sense of it.

If Trump were to vanish from the public eye for seven days without an explanation, the media would be fully within its rights to be speculating wildly and demanding answers.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
In complete fairness, they committed the grave sin of using quotes for emphasis instead of sarcasm. I'd be genuinely curious to see a survey that dives into the demographics of that.

I'd have a hard time not drumming the thing, too, while reading aloud the sign in a very sarcastic tone.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
dO nOt ToUcH

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
While I don't think it's unlikely that Klobuchar might be the pick, I think folks are way too certain based only off Twitter rumors and people misspeaking.

Edit: JFC, I've been leaning toward a reluctant vote for Biden, but the campaign has been actively giving me the finger in the last month:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1255615811621924870

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
Yeah, all Biden needed to do was effectively say nothing, but instead he just gave it away. He could also have said the embassy will stay, but we'll impose specific alternative measures to pressure Israel on its apartheid policies.

It's just loving annoying because I desperately want to be won over and I'm not a "never Biden" person, but he keeps tacking right for zero gain. I'm going to get out and vote, but whether I vote for Biden or Jake the Dog is still up in the air.