Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

That Works posted:

This is an important thread and cites all of the claims it makes at the end. Good for a reference if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/RomancingNope/status/1246234872663945217

I took my dog for a walk this morning and saw a handful of brand new TRUMP 2020 flags hanging from porches.

I wish people could understand how hosed up things are.
Our governor was talking about how the FEMA confiscated a bunch of ventilators, but the MAGA brigade doesn't care because he's a gay Democrat. It's super frustrating.

How do we even stop this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I really can't believe that people are willing to sacrifice grandma Betty just because they can't get a margarita at Chili's.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Godholio posted:

There's a non-zero part of me that just wants to say "gently caress it, open everything up and do it soon so we get a couple more rounds before the election."

:sigh: I don't like that part very much.

The school situation is legit frustrating, trying to be a teacher and work full-time isn't working.

I totally get why people are frustrated and resentful but holy gently caress, I really don't think people grasp how hosed our health Care system is.

I was talking with a customer last week, OR director in a poor rural county, and they said the media was overreacting and this was all fake news.

There are maybe a dozen ICU beds spread out in a 200 mile area for 12000 mostly old and poor people.

poo poo is gonna be ugly when the Rona hits rural America...

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Lake of Methane posted:

A cattle ranching group I follow is absolutely livid at Sonny Perdue about this, which is a little surprising. The position is that there aren't shortages of livestock, but that the large corporate-run packing plants are slowed or shuttered, and were already unwilling to pay for domestically-raised beef (relying on imports from South America).

Generally you can image that a rural, small business owner, industrial demographic would skew towards conservative politics, and they have previously been happy to support Trup. But Sonny Perdue is not Turp, and to them, the USDA is a prime example of government meddling. So they're mad that the environment they're operating in isn't playing nice. They have a cynical expectation that USDA will give the large packing companies money to make it easier to import foreign beef, and the only market for their product will have prices heavily depressed by corporate and government collusion.

These are farmers/ranchers who take huge risks for slim margins every year. To avoid colossal failure, they have to be shrewd, be conservative with risk, and always have plans for years into a future where a pandemic or even a plain drought can wipe out any profit. Narrative like that of "cities being full of unemployed people living on government handouts using their hard-clawed tax dollars" is a powerful trigger to that kind of existential stress.

They're so close to being angry at the people who can influence an administrative decision to make a quarter-percent change on a very large number in their favor. But then they don't escape peer pressure; some loud, noisy rear end in a top hat declares that the blowhard no-nonsense orange menace he saw on TV is going to fix things. And that's mostly that.

So, they're going to reopen some packing plants. Maybe with less inspectors because of the 'rona. If the workers at the plant get sick, that's the corporations' business. When that sickness spreads through the small town, it's because it was "brought there." We can't afford to have empathy at these prices.

Our local meat packing plant is directly responsible for at least 3 coronavirus deaths and over 700 confirmed cases among employees.

Also I think part of the anger about that program is that it means farmers won't get as much insruance money for their unsold crops.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

That Works posted:

USDA can't even suss out getting vegetables to food banks in time to prevent farmers from plowing their crops under. I don't expect them to be able to work out a grain swap for meat.

I think a lot of that grain wouldn't be suitable for human consumption, so I suspect that killing the meat industry would just result in more expensive food and more starving people in the short term.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Immanentized posted:

Musk is very publicly losing his poo poo. I wonder how long before he loses control of Tesla in a similar way he did with SpaceX and accusing NASA riflemen of sniping his prototypes from the launch towers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/29/elon-musk-slams-coronavirus-shelter-in-place-orders-as-fascist.html

I saw on twitter its because he is a month away from hitting a milestone that pays out a 3/4 billion dollar bonus, and this stay at home stuff is making his number look bad, so he might not get his money.

We should feel bad for the musky man, doesn't he deserve his money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jesus Christ, what a bunch of drooling, selfish, and paranoid morons.
Hats off to that guy, no way I could have that kind of patience.