Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

April fools looks like it mostly got cancelled this year. Lotta PR people must have cancelled their scheduled tweets about how Tony the Tiger is in ICU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Branch Covidians.

Lol

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

The article linked said they went out to possibly retrieve a ball. It was turbo stupid and the kid is dead for the worst reason

Yeah I was writing out a joke then opened the article and saw it was a kid. That sucks. Even if that kid had a 99% chance of turning into an awful adult.

Also I'm not superstitious much but I am halfway to believing old Joe Kennedy did indeed make a deal with the devil. I mean he certainly did figuratively so why not literally too.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I find Bill Mitchell to be a much more valuable source of insight into conservative thought than all the conservatives with an op ed in a major paper, all of whom thought a trump presidency was impossible. I hate Bill Mitchell but I also wished he had David Brooks' job.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

What's the Secretary of the Navy's deal? I'm guessing he's some chud Mar a Lago buddy?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Chuds hate corrupt cops (internal affairs, guys who don’t shoot, anyone who pulls them over, etc)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Flying_Crab posted:

idk, child sex trafficking and rape is kind of frowned upon in most places?

I thought so too until I found out about Epstein

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

PeterCat posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for making Kurdish flatbread?

When we were in Erbil they had these bread shops that seemed to consist of a wood fired oven and stacks of flour. You could get a big bag of bread for a dollar or two.

I think it was just water and flour, didn't seem like it was leavened. I've been wanting to make some for a while.

Also, gently caress BofA.

They would put all the charges first, charge me overdraft fees, then deposit my paycheck.

It’s really hard to do that kind of flatbread at home with the same magical result because a lot of what gives it that oomph is the insanely hot fire oven that the flatbread is on very briefly. The best you can do at home is a longer time over lower heat (a maxed out frying pan) which is going to give you thicker flatbread in my experience. But, pretty much any fresh flatbread is still good and really easy to make.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Welp, yeast is a black market commodity at this point. :(

Time to get into sourdough

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

My hot take is it's okay to normalize Trump because he's normal. He's the president, 40% of the country thinks he walks on water, and we've affirmed that the Constitution doesn't matter much anymore. That's the lay of the land and there's no going back.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Future neurologists will prove the English language causes moderate to severe CTE in its speakers

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The only reason Oprah isn't president is because she doesn't want to be. I'd make a joke about how terrible that would be but honestly she'd be a step up from our current options

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/mikegrunwald/status/1252668783002411008?s=21

We effectively do not have an opposition party

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You know, when Morgan Freeman said "Get busy living, or get busy dying" in The Shawshank Redemption, I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

I mean the problem the Democrats have consistently faced is that Trump and most members of his administration are far too deluded and/or insane to recognize the need for long-term solutions, and Mitch McConnell absolutely refuses to do anything to put pressure on the White House. So while the Democrats should have the leverage to force changes to a must-pass bill, they don't because the Republicans are happy to play chicken with both the economy and people's lives rather than provide even mild concessions. Like, hell, the fact that the Democrats have to fight at all just to get funding for testing is completely insane.

e: also what facialimpediment said

Nancy Pelosi wanted to do targeted tax breaks for high earners and then peaced out a month so she could brag about her expensive ice cream storage solutions to late night TV. Trump every day talks about the economy and brags about stimulus. There was leverage, they aren't fighting.

Let's get falsifiable: what actions could Pelosi take in the future that would convince you she does or does not care about the working class? I really doubt a month and a half ago you would have predicted they'd go on recess immediately or agree to these bills with few/no concessions, even though now it's totally obvious, they had no other choice etc

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Republicans have tried to frame the Democratic refusal to merely roll over as playing partisan politics with people's lives, but also aren't so concerned about those lives to actually give in to the no-brainer provisions the Democrats were fighting to add.

So the republicans wanted this bill very badly, and were afraid democrats would impede it...but the dems did not have leverage? That's not how negotiations work. The most you can say is that dems were not willing to use that leverage, in which case, we are agreed. They didn't fight and did not even consider actually fighting, which would have involved credibly threatening to not vote for this bill.

What I see from your posts I see skillful and earnest post-hoc justifications that are all built on the assumption that the democrats are doing their best. I sympathize because I was a dedicated blue door knocking trooper with similar pretzel twisting justifications, until I finally hit middle age and realized it was all for nothing, that all the "aw sucks we'll get em next times" were lies. I don't know what's next since the dem party leadership is captured by reactionary business and wealthy interests and third parties aren't feasible. but, I know Pelosi and Schumer are not my allies.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm whiplashing hard between whether this is a bad bill that gosh darn the dems just had to sign or if this was legislative genius but either way it's good to know this is a great bill a/o a bad one that couldn't be avoided. Sounds like they've earned another month vacation.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It seems like the federal response to insurrectionists switch goes from "murder their children" to "off" and it would be nice to have some in between options. I can't believe we let an armed group take over a federal facility and then just walk away. Future historians are going to have a lot of points in time to pick from on the exact moment the American empire entered terminal decline, but that's got to be one of those choices.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

it was the failed katrina response

i will die on this hill

My pick is the Flint water crisis. The moment we decided, from the average voter all the way up to the (democratic!) president, that the social contract no longer required government to provide anything to the common people. Katrina was bad but at least it was commonly regarded as a failure of government. Just a few short years later even ensuring drinkable water was considered out of scope. From that moment on, we're supposed to ride on the rails of whatever exists, and adapt to breakdown after breakdown.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ZynkD3N_k

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Is there sourcing on that besides that guy (who is some sort of security think tank dude)? I believe it but if true there's got to be reporters on it. Tho I def don't read Czech

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I stocked up on frozen meat last week. It didn't occur to me they'd just make the poor fuckers who work in slaughterhouses die on their feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

People getting evicted and going hungry: I sleep

AETNA facing a challenging Q2:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1255255653188321282?s=21