Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The IMF and World Bank aren’t exactly the horrifically predatory organizations that they were 20 years ago or so. There’s been a lot of change in leadership and the way that they engage with countries, and while their actions definitely deserve observation and scrutiny and criticism where needed, not everything they do is calculated with “how do we gently caress over the poor today?” up front.

This is at least my impression having worked with some Bank/Fund people in the field, mostly in a security context.

They also have their poo poo pretty strapped down with regard to research and modeling the impact of their different decisions, so they'll look even at things that go against the typical neoliberal line but there's too much data saying it's a good idea. Like debt forgiveness - I guarandamntee that the decision wasn't made because of activists, but instead because of an oh-poo poo moment looking at what was likely to happen if they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Patware posted:

maybe i'm too hungry but i couldn't make much sense of this as a layman

"Signs are good, ask again later"

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

orange juche posted:

He definitely releases TS/SCI info in press briefings, but i'm gonna go with the old standby of he's pulling poo poo out his rear end again

ODNI put out a statement saying that the lab connection was bullshit, so I bet this came straight out of the moldy cheese in his head.